Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
azure's main plot is dumb but it's not a whole lot dumber than sky's was and the character writing is about as good as zero. it's basically the same type of, all of the political stuff people like to hype up not actually being that important and more serving as a vehicle for setting up the wacky big shonen adventures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

It's a sega game but I think miku pc still has denolubra and that makes me sad

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Where would I go if I wanted a story that was YIIK/Zestiria offensive?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ace Transmuter posted:

Regalia of Men and Monarchs is dirt cheap on Switch eShop right now, what's the general consensus on it?

Definitely don't get the Switch port, load times are dire as all hell.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

yakuza 4

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I don't recall anything as being in poor taste to the same degree as the secret Koreans in Kiwami 2.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

infraboy posted:

So is Star Ocean 6 good? I haven't played any of them although I think I own some PS2 game with the title somewhere.
Haven't played it, but here's a review that seemed like a pretty decent overview.

quote:

Star Ocean: The Divine Force Isn’t Terrible—And That’s Good Enough
Star Ocean 6 is a familiar last gasp for a dying JRPG series
ByEthan Gach

Maaaaybe White Knight Chronicles, judging by the LP.

Check out some Warlockracy spotlights of eastern european videogames for some absolutely wild RPG plots.
Maybe start here:
Planet Alcatraz (what if Vlad Putin made an RPG?)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJ_PiXLVaJ8

idrismakesgames
Nov 4, 2022
Got trails in the sky fc on the go, early stages but like the writing. Not sure about the combat yet (does it get more engaging after the first 3 hours?

Worried tactics ogre will completely dwarf it when it comes out on Friday for that reason. (Never played it before and quite excited)

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

why would you want that

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'd say planet alcatraz is an unfair comparison but on thinking on it i wouldn't even group zestiria in with yiik. zestiria's not offensive because of any views or associations held by the writers or anything, it's just a rushed and unfinished game and unfortunately the parts that suffer for it are anything that could give it one ounce of narrative coherency

planet alcatraz is just actually written by a weird big name russian guy and developed by people who think everything in it is funny. it has more in common with the fallout stalker mod warlockracy also reviewed that, also turns all of stalker's cast into angry misogynists who murder women on sight and carry portraits of putin

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Zereth posted:

why would you want that

They make the best LP threads.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Zereth posted:

why would you want that

some people just want to experience mental pain every once in a while

alternate answer: they've played too many good games recently, gotta balance it out

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

The Colonel posted:

i'd say planet alcatraz is an unfair comparison but on thinking on it i wouldn't even group zestiria in with yiik. zestiria's not offensive because of any views or associations held by the writers or anything, it's just a rushed and unfinished game and unfortunately the parts that suffer for it are anything that could give it one ounce of narrative coherency

planet alcatraz is just actually written by a weird big name russian guy and developed by people who think everything in it is funny. it has more in common with the fallout stalker mod warlockracy also reviewed that, also turns all of stalker's cast into angry misogynists who murder women on sight and carry portraits of putin

Yeah, I am definitely weighing Zestiria and Yiik stories in different weight classes as far as overall horribleness goes. Yiik feels like it edges into "potentially genuinely harmful" territory, and it is surprisingly challenging finding RPG stories on that level. I think I hazily remember an LP thread of a really wretched misogynistic RPG Maker game, but I cannot remember the title... wait, this isn't that game, but it definitely qualifies.

Anonymous Agony: An Extra Edgy Adventure Game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qn1rsvwkQLc

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

anonymous agony is bizarre but it feels like the author genuinely working through something and also as a rando rpgmaker game its reach is really small, i also wouldnt call it harmful/bad (morally)

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i wouldn't really call any video game story actually harmful. yiik is, horrible, but also has an insanely complicated history that basically no random person unconnected to the devs has any hope of unpacking and ultimately just came out to be mocked and had no real reach beyond that, and planet alcatraz is kind of just the product of an insane and insular russian subculture. it's hard to say it's affecting anyone so much as it is reflecting views that do exist somewhere in the world that are only going to resonate over here with people you aren't likely to want to interact with in the first place. the only way any of these stories could harm someone is if you were forced to experience them at gunpoint, which i guess a lot of people do in fact do to themselves for some reason but that's beside the point

i guess you could say super seducer is harmful but i'm not sure about the story part it's more for its framing as a real-life reference material for pick up artists, kind of a different situation

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Nov 8, 2022

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

i take offense to this if it's about the rubber bullets

if it's about how much of a complete mess of incomprehensible motivations the plot is, then you're right (but it's still pretty alright if you ask me)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the only ones id call harmful are the literal like, kkk and gaybashing games that pop up on steam, and very occasionally get deleted by steam, but those games also dont really have elaborate plots and werent really made with the goal of being entertaining video games

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
someone could potentially play yakuza 4 and think it's fun to get shot by rubber bullets so its harmful

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i am going to do a limit break move on the first person to mention jaws

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Amppelix posted:

i take offense to this if it's about the rubber bullets

if it's about how much of a complete mess of incomprehensible motivations the plot is, then you're right (but it's still pretty alright if you ask me)

i do hate the rubber bullets because they completely rob half of the plot of any stakes or meaning but also everything they do with kiryu i hate more and think it robs him of everything interesting he got across the previous three games. sort of in 2. he kind of got some development in yakuza 2, almost. sort of.

akiyama's also just insanely boring and a lot of my initial patience with his shittier aspects wore down as i realized his arc just kind of sucks and it's, completely insane, how much they hype up the relationship between saejima and majima/his sister, and then he gets maybe five minutes to interact with both of them before having his entire character reset to something incredibly boring

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
like it's not just that yakuza 4 has dumb twists that makes me hate it. it's, specifically the fact that the entire front half of the game is it presenting interesting ideas, and then all of the dumb twists exist so it can pretend all of its interesting ideas never existed and reset everyone back to their initial roles, it has one of the worst endings i've ever seen in a video game, its core thesis after presenting two dozen reasons why the yakuza is bad is that we should go back to the tojo clan cause the tojo clan needs our help!!!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
before yakuza 0, Yakuza had a reputation as one of those "you dont really play it for the main story" series and there's a reason for that

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think the main plots are fine outside of 4 tbh

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i legitimately could not tell you anything that happens in 5. i actually like 2 a lot, korean mob aside

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yakuza 2's main plot is pretty bad outside of some specific scenes that everyone remembers so if yakuza 4 was just coming off that i probably wouldn't care about it as much. it's the fact that it's coming off yakuza 3 and, yakuza 3 has some problems, but it just kind of stands head and shoulders over 2 and 4 in terms of developing kiryu and throwing him into more interesting situations than just the next adventure to go Save The Tojo Clan, so it feels like falling back face first into the mud for 4 to be as bad as it is coming off that

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

The Colonel posted:

i wouldn't really call any video game story actually harmful.

i grew up watching people run over sex workers in grand theft auto games because they drop more cash

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

avoraciopoctules posted:

Maaaaybe White Knight Chronicles, judging by the LP.

White Knight Chronicles is my favorite PlayStation 3 game! Xenoblade Chronicles 3 replaces it for me though (the two games have a lot of similarities), but there's no other JRPG that quite has the style and unique gameplay of WKC. I really wish it would get remastered for modern consoles.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

yeah i think i mostly appreciate 4 for introducing saejima and how cool his part is

and that's the one thing i'll go to bat for, the rubber bullets do not ruin saejima's plot like almost everyone seems to think they do!

it's more, all the other stuff. that you already mentioned.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i like akiyama and instead of attempting to justify his absurd plot i will point to him winning several character popularity polls over Kiryu

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

The Colonel posted:

i wouldn't really call any video game story actually harmful. yiik is, horrible, but also has an insanely complicated history that basically no random person unconnected to the devs has any hope of unpacking and ultimately just came out to be mocked and had no real reach beyond that, and planet alcatraz is kind of just the product of an insane and insular russian subculture. it's hard to say it's affecting anyone so much as it is reflecting views that do exist somewhere in the world that are only going to resonate over here with people you aren't likely to want to interact with in the first place. the only way any of these stories could harm someone is if you were forced to experience them at gunpoint, which i guess a lot of people do in fact do to themselves for some reason but that's beside the point

i guess you could say super seducer is harmful but i'm not sure about the story part it's more for its framing as a real-life reference material for pick up artists, kind of a different situation

The question of whether a story is potentially harmful can be a pretty nuanced one. Certainly, I don't think I'm going to be advocating for banning any books. At the same time, if I think that speculative fiction has the potential to make the world a better place, I think that I will also have to accept that it has the potential to make the world a worse place. Sometimes, it's pretty easy for people to be harmed. Different people can have different reactions to a text.

For me, a "potentially harmful" story is anything that I might want to throw in a disclaimer or trigger warning for if I recommended it to someone. There's definitely some wiggle room there, but I know some people who would really rather avoid getting surprised by stories of parental abuse, detailed violence, or significant amounts of racism/sexism. And of course, gacha games I would almost always classify as potentially harmful because of their predatory business model, but that's outside the scope of a question about the story alone.

If I knew I was recommending a game to someone with arachnophobia, Grounded and Terraria would be potentially harmful games. Thankfully, both of those have either mods or in-game options to help people who have very real issues with Surprise Spiders. But that's rare enough that I wouldn't usually take it into account unless it came up during the reference interview.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

avoraciopoctules posted:

For me, a "potentially harmful" story is anything that I might want to throw in a disclaimer or trigger warning for if I recommended it to someone. There's definitely some wiggle room there, but I know some people who would really rather avoid getting surprised by stories of parental abuse, detailed violence, or significant amounts of racism/sexism.
this post is harmful to me

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Amppelix posted:

yeah i think i mostly appreciate 4 for introducing saejima and how cool his part is

and that's the one thing i'll go to bat for, the rubber bullets do not ruin saejima's plot like almost everyone seems to think they do!

it's more, all the other stuff. that you already mentioned.

idk they ruin like. literally his entire thing about having trauma and regret over what he did. it explicitly turns that whole aspect of his character into basically a lame joke cause it's just like oh i guess he just. has no reason to feel bad about this now. he's still a fun character personality-wise and his scenario is well-written in the moment but he's robbed of any further room for exploration of being a well-meaning but overly traditional guy who, actually legitimately has killed some people only for his actions to have the consequence of doing nothing but hurting everyone he cares about, all so they can set up two bad guys who barely matter or have a personality and justify him rejoining the tojo clan

you can make an argument that he still has the feel the guilt of being manipulated into this position but he'd feel that without having rubber bullets tossed into the mix, they just make the villains look stupider while making it easier to write out story consequences for anything

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i legitimately could not tell you anything that happens in 5. i actually like 2 a lot, korean mob aside

5s story rules.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
that said the lack of any sense of real connection between him and majima or his sister is probably the worse part. they sorta give him his moment with majima but there's so little of them interacting that it does a poor job actually selling them as being friends and literally his entire reuniting with his sister happens off screen, it's insane. those should be opportunities to make saejima's personal life feel more like, a present part of his character, which could smooth over those issues, but uh they just kind of don't do that

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

i feel like going "well he didn't really kill those guys so his guilt was meaningless" misses the point. like, the guys died anyway 2 minutes later. he effectively killed everyone in that room. if he hadn't, the stupid plot wouldn't have worked and nobody would have died. and also regardless of how "real" the murders ended up being he is still absolutely a man who decided he was going to kill 18 people and proceeded to do so in cold blood

they don't even attempt to use the twist within the story to "absolve" saejima of the murders or whatever. it's just very unfortunately placed so that it's easy to get the impression that's what they're doing, but they really aren't. nobody ever even brings that angle up

it's definitely not a good twist, it's another one on the pile of pointless plot devices in yakuza 4, but it doesn't at all touch saejima imo

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
idk the literal only reason for the twist to exist at all is, so they can avoid having saejima be the one yakuza protag who's literally killed people. like there's just ultimately no other purpose to the twist's existence other than using it to remove the part where he's wanted for murdering a ton of people so he can avoid being a criminal and rejoin the yakuza, regardless of how you view it the twist is used to reach an end point to his arc that's directly at odds with what his scenario was conveying

it's, again, maybe something i could be more forgiving of if. the literal end point of his character arc, about how killing people for the yakuza ruined his life, including the life of the person in the yakuza that he respected, wasn't that he should rejoin the yakuza. the only reason yakuza 4 ends this way is because a guy told them they should rejoin the yakuza because the yakuza needs men like us. a guy who, murdered a chinese restaurant order with a remote detonated bomb

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Nov 8, 2022

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the truth is that jack thompson has traumatized gamers too much where you just can't have this conversation with them

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Amppelix posted:

i feel like going "well he didn't really kill those guys so his guilt was meaningless" misses the point. like, the guys died anyway 2 minutes later. he effectively killed everyone in that room. if he hadn't, the stupid plot wouldn't have worked and nobody would have died. and also regardless of how "real" the murders ended up being he is still absolutely a man who decided he was going to kill 18 people and proceeded to do so in cold blood

they don't even attempt to use the twist within the story to "absolve" saejima of the murders or whatever. it's just very unfortunately placed so that it's easy to get the impression that's what they're doing, but they really aren't. nobody ever even brings that angle up

it's definitely not a good twist, it's another one on the pile of pointless plot devices in yakuza 4, but it doesn't at all touch saejima imo
'this guy takes a gun and shoots people to death' is a way more striking visual and moment than 'this guy takes bb guns and knocks some guys unconscious and then some other guys walk in and shoot them'. like thats really all there is to it. the scene works better and is more striking if he just shot them. yeah sure its still technically his fault and yeah sure maybe the game doesnt try and absolve him that much but like. its still stupid.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
you cant be in the yakuza and kill people. thats illegal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if you made a godzilla movie where at the end it was revealed that godzilla was actually destroying a prop town of tokyo but whenever he destroyed a fake prop skyscraper it triggered the detonation of the real skyscraper in actual tokyo that would also be dumb.