Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Do we know how the employee discount will work with the new plans?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Lowen SoDium posted:

So does this mean that the new plans are no longer 2 year contracts?

If you are buying a phone it's an installment plan over about 24 months, so it isn't a two year contract per say, but similar.

If you buy a phone outright or bring your own phone, then it's no contract.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

kensei posted:

No, but at least in my case it works out cheaper even without one.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
While somewhat understandable, I have to chuckle at the fact that apparently Verizon doesn't seem to think that dumb feature phones exist any more.

A A 2 3 5 8 K
Nov 24, 2003
Illiteracy... what does that word even mean?
How is this shift away from contracts not going to kill the market for smartphones? I bought a new one every 2 years only because I could get a high-end one for $200. Aren't most people in that same boat? There's no way I'd ever pay $600 for a phone. If my monthly bill was going to be $400 cheaper over 2 years, then sure, I'll pay the extra up front. But that's not what's happening. This way I'm just going to stop getting upgrades, won't lots of people do the same and the hardware business will tank?

phongn
Oct 21, 2006

Stuff breaks, the battery gets old, people want the new hotness? Plus the companies can still do tricks like "for zero down" or "$200 down".

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

I will continue to buy ridiculously over priced phones. But I would like a data an that can support my usage.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The time of $600-$800 smartphones is over. They are pointless.

Today you can buy 'great' for $200 and 'excellent' for $400 when you look away from the spec sheet and look towards how well the thing works.

Cascadia Pirate
Jan 18, 2011
So my mother in law has an upgrade waiting, if we upgrade before the change will she be locked into two years of the old rates?

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Definitely cannot wait for the new plans or new phones thanks to a move to a new region.

Now if I understand it correctly I can swap to the new 6gb plan at any time. But will Verizon take my iPhone 6 in trade towards the newer iPhone 6s in September or October?

Ropes4u fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Aug 9, 2015

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

A A 2 3 5 8 K posted:

How is this shift away from contracts not going to kill the market for smartphones? I bought a new one every 2 years only because I could get a high-end one for $200. Aren't most people in that same boat? There's no way I'd ever pay $600 for a phone. If my monthly bill was going to be $400 cheaper over 2 years, then sure, I'll pay the extra up front. But that's not what's happening. This way I'm just going to stop getting upgrades, won't lots of people do the same and the hardware business will tank?

You still paid $600+ for it, just not up front. The difference was just baked into your monthly service fees and paid down every month in a completely opaquely priced manner. And if you went past 2 years without upgrading, that was just additional pure profit for the phone company, because they didn't give you a break on your monthly pricing because you finished your contract.

The only difference here is they're now unbundling the cost of the phone from the cost of the service you pay every month. You still can put a $200 down payment on it just like before (or $0 even), and spread the rest out over 24 months. And you're still "on a contract," at least insofar as if you cancel the line, you have to pay what you still owe on the phone.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

So I'm with T-Mobile and am planning on switching over to Verizon when the new iPhones come out... I'm currently on the nerd plan ($30 bucks a month, 100 minutes 5 gigs of data) and was planning on getting what I'm guessing will be the mid sized iPhone 6s+... and under the new rates I did some quick math and wanted to see if I was missing anything. For the mid sized data package ($45) plus that sized phone monthly payment ($35) plus $20 equals I'd be paying $100 a month... is that correct or am I missing something?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Taxes and fees, which vary by state, but will probably be about $10 or $11 for a $100 plan.

A A 2 3 5 8 K
Nov 24, 2003
Illiteracy... what does that word even mean?

kitten smoothie posted:

You still paid $600+ for it, just not up front. The difference was just baked into your monthly service fees and paid down every month in a completely opaquely priced manner.

I get that, but I do not see that the fees have gone down. The fact that it wasn't itemized in the past means there's no item they'll remove now. Now there's an additional monthly fee if you want to pay for the $600 phone on a payment plan. But you're still paying the extra $400 yourself that used to be a subsidy.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

A A 2 3 5 8 K posted:

I get that, but I do not see that the fees have gone down.
More Everything plans have a line access charge of $40/smartphone/mo. The new plan makes that charge $20. Where's the confusion?

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
And that's the way it was.

A A 2 3 5 8 K posted:

I get that, but I do not see that the fees have gone down. The fact that it wasn't itemized in the past means there's no item they'll remove now. Now there's an additional monthly fee if you want to pay for the $600 phone on a payment plan. But you're still paying the extra $400 yourself that used to be a subsidy.

You were paying for that phone and then some on your regular bill, you just made a down payment on your subsidized phone. We usually turn a profit at the 1 1/2 year mark on the contracts.

Competition is eliminating the mark up on data and such. Everyone wins! I will hand it to T-Mobile...their network is a piece of poo poo but they realized this and went crazy with other stuff and played a big part in these changes.

To clarify: You are paying less for data/voice/etc. When you were doing a 2 year contract, that poo poo was marked the gently caress up and as time went by the bigger the profit margin for verizon due to shifting to maintenance first, expansion second.

Favorabilis Solitud fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Aug 9, 2015

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

FWIW, someone on Reddit has posted a breakdown of pricing for data buckets >12GB.

In hindsight I kinda wish I just got myself and my wife off of unlimited and onto that 30GB/$130 package they had been running last October. Would've saved me $50/month.

Maybe they'll run another deal like this come iPhone time.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Anyone see if they have plans higher than 12GB? 12GB is good for most families of 4, but i def would need at least 20GB for my plan.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
So how hard is it to make changes once you're on a legacy plan? I've got 10 lines / 30 GB, but one of those lines is still a flip phone. Should I be telling that guy to go buy a Moto G on Edge, right now? Or is this something that's usually relatively easy to change later, without messing up my plan?

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
And that's the way it was.
I am not certain. But most legacy plans you can move up or down in that plan (you are probably on that promo plan, id stick with it). Generally speaking, you are ok with upgrading phones as long as you don't have unlimited data.

Generally, all the goodies are only available for the main plan we offer. If you were on a nationwide plan you were SoL for the vast majority of monthly plan promos.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

kitten smoothie posted:

FWIW, someone on Reddit has posted a breakdown of pricing for data buckets >12GB.

In hindsight I kinda wish I just got myself and my wife off of unlimited and onto that 30GB/$130 package they had been running last October. Would've saved me $50/month.

Maybe they'll run another deal like this come iPhone time.

Moving onto that 30 GB plan was one of the smartest decisions I ever made. At the time I was confident it would come around again but switched anyhow and so far it hasn't.

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008
Can any phone regardless of contract be moved to the new plans or are they limited to out of contract phones only?

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

TEHJOE posted:

Can any phone regardless of contract be moved to the new plans or are they limited to out of contract phones only?
You can move in contract lines to the new plan but the smartphone cost is $40 until the eligible upgrade date is met or they move to a payment plan then it drops to $20.

Edit: Basic phones are always $20 with the new plan. Contract does not matter.

GUYS STOP fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Aug 10, 2015

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

kensei posted:

Employee discounts will work exactly the same way they do on More Everything. The percentage discount will come off the main account level charge. The > $35 rule for discounts will apply so the smallest $30 1 GB plan will not be discounted but everything larger will.

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

Cascadia Pirate posted:

So my mother in law has an upgrade waiting, if we upgrade before the change will she be locked into two years of the old rates?
You're not locked into anything. You can keep the old plan if it is better and even switch between data allowances as necessary or switch to the new plan anytime you want. Since you are a pre-existing customer you will even be able to continue during 2-year contract pricing if you choose but the line rate for the new plan will be $40 instead of $20 on contract.

Update (sorry I was given bad info): if you change to the new Verizon Plan you cannot do 2-year on basic or smartphones. If you stay on your existing plan you can continue to do 2-year as you please. 2-year is not pro-actively offered at all and you will need to ask specifically for it.

Once you switch to the new plan you will probably not be able to go back to More Everything.

GUYS STOP fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Aug 13, 2015

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Sorry, I'm coming into this stuff hella late. Last march I bought my HTC One M8 full price to keep my unlimited data. I'm going to still be okay right? Or are they going to gently caress me over and ditch my unlimited data soon?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Zotix posted:

Sorry, I'm coming into this stuff hella late. Last march I bought my HTC One M8 full price to keep my unlimited data. I'm going to still be okay right? Or are they going to gently caress me over and ditch my unlimited data soon?
They've already eliminated most/all of the loopholes that let you get a discount and keep unlimited. The only possible outcome of cutting off unlimited data is driving away a bunch of people who are a reliable, stable source of revenue and consume effectively no customer service resources except maybe coming into a store and spending 10 minutes getting a new SIM card when they get a new phone every year or two.

EAB
Jan 18, 2011
Guys I have a question.

I'm a trucker and pretty tired of data anxiety, I was thinking of getting one of these 4g unlimited hotspots on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Verizon-Wireless-UNLIMITED-4G-LTE-XLTE-Data-Mobile-Hotspot-Jetpack-MHS291L-/191657211719?hash=item2c9fa8f747

is that truly unlimited 4g? They're not gonna throttle me if I watch netflix and download games on steam? its not gonna knock me down to 3g or ban me or anything?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

That looks pretty scammy. You can't take over their plan without the unlimited data package evaporating, so they're "subleasing" their line to you for a ridiculous amount of money.

EAB
Jan 18, 2011

kitten smoothie posted:

That looks pretty scammy. You can't take over their plan without the unlimited data package evaporating, so they're "subleasing" their line to you for a ridiculous amount of money.

150 a month doesnt seem that bad to me. I'm just worried about the device suddenly not working and the initial investment going poof.

I hate verizon, I wish they'd offer unlimited again. I can't really use any other carrier, verizon is pretty much the only carrier that works well for all the remote locations I go to.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008
I'm about to give up my unlimited data nationwide T&T family plan. The cheapest price I was offered was $110 a month. Nobody else on my plan uses that much data and I figure I can purchase the six extra GB on top of the XL plan and make do each month for $53.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
I'm currently on one of Verizon's single-line plans where it's costing me about $66 a month (that's with fees and what not), and t's for 2GB and unlimited talk/text, but the data isn't sharable (no hotspot). It looks like if I switch over to the 3GB Verizon Plan it's only going to cost about $5 or $6 dollars more for that extra gig of data AND the ability to do mobile hotspotting. Is there any reason for me not to make this switch? It seems like a good value for the few extra bucks.

I should mention that I currently only use like a gig of data a month on average but it's not like I wouldn't be more liberal with my data usage if I knew I had that extra gig with the new plan.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.
FYI, when you log into the account to compare an existing More Everything plan to Verizon Plan it's inflating the More Everything cost. The line charges show up as $59 cheaper on VP because it doesn't factor in -$25/line Month-to-Month or $10 basic phone discounts when it calculates the More Everything line access.

Figured anyone comparison shopping would appreciate the heads up.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
I was just in a Verizon store earlier and I saved about ~$15/mo by switching to the VP and going from the More Everything 2GB bucket to the VP 3GB bucket. 1 smart phone, 1 basic phone.

I'm happy with that.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Do you have to be out of contract to make the change? It won't let me right now but I don't know if it's because I still have a month left on contract or if because I am using a Pre-Pay Moto E right now. The Website is not clears, it says I can't change because my contract or one of my devices are incompatible.

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
One my my lines is still in-contract for another two months, and it let me switch, but with a $20/month upcharge on that line. (I wonder if that will drop off automatically when my contract ends, or if I'm setting myself up for a future customer-service nightmare.)

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

Wickerman posted:

I was just in a Verizon store earlier and I saved about ~$15/mo by switching to the VP and going from the More Everything 2GB bucket to the VP 3GB bucket. 1 smart phone, 1 basic phone.

I'm happy with that.
:tipshat:

Lowen SoDium posted:

Do you have to be out of contract to make the change? It won't let me right now but I don't know if it's because I still have a month left on contract or if because I am using a Pre-Pay Moto E right now. The Website is not clears, it says I can't change because my contract or one of my devices are incompatible.
You do not have to be out of contract to change. While your smartphone lines are in contract they will have a line cost of $40 that will automatically drop to $20 when the contract ends. If you're using something slightly odd like a former prepay device it might not be loaded in the Device Management Database correctly and the system doesn't know what to do with it. Or it could be various other issues.

Customer service might be able to change it right now and if not get our IT to get a ticket in on whatever the problem is and get it fixed within a few days.

Weird Uncle Dave posted:

One my my lines is still in-contract for another two months, and it let me switch, but with a $20/month upcharge on that line. (I wonder if that will drop off automatically when my contract ends, or if I'm setting myself up for a future customer-service nightmare.)
The billing system will automatically drop the price. Or so we are told.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Lowen SoDium posted:

The Moto E is the problem. They have to change it over the phone. Ran into the same problem when I switched to More Everything last month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

Couple of questions:

I have a 2013 Moto X, and I plan to get the new one when it comes out next month. My wife has a Note 3, but I have no idea if she wants to upgrade or not. Our contract is up on 10/10, and we're on the More Everything 10g plan.

1. If I add phone protection to my line, will it cover my new Moto X even though I will not be buying it through Verizon?
2. If I switch to the new Verizon Plan 12g version, will the line access fee drop down to $20 once I'm off contract? I'm hearing it will, but you'll excuse my lack of faith, I'm sure.

• Locked thread