Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

DarkMalfunction posted:

Seriously though, what's the deal with IP rights of non-canon yet licenced-worked ships? Does CBS ultimately own the rights to ship designs as the licence holders, or does it stay with the creator? iirc the Vesta was only featured in the licensed Destiny and susbsequent series (Full Circle etc.) novels and never onscreen, yet that made it into the game.
In general: if it's movie/TV stuff, it's owned jointly by CBS, Paramount, or both. If it's from a licensed production like a novel or a game then it's generally owned by both CBS/Paramount and whoever created the media in question. You'll never see stuff from other Trek games in STO for this reason, since Cryptic would have to negotiate with some other company as well as their ongoing license with CBS. The Vesta itself is a really weird outlier, since they went out of their way to get a license from Rademaker for it too, and gently caress if I know why (maybe Geko had a hard-on for it like the Excelsior?).

In any case, these shared rights issues are why you'll almost certainly never see ships and stuff from other games or media in STO (it would require a license from a third part), why you'll never see a T6 connie (STO's license had a limited number of TOS appearances allowed in it and more would require a renegotiated license from Paramount), and why we'll likely not see T6 Vesta (since it would require a new/expanded license from Rademaker.)

Aleth posted:

Well, it's not a T6 connie but it is going to be a loving disaster:

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9561483
Wow, none of those look good. There's a few that are almost passable but then they stuck four nacelles on them, then there's others that have two but look absolutely derpy. I guess Sigma's the least horrible? But it could use better nacelles? Eeeeh. :effort:

Asimo fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Sep 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Assuming it's a full carrier, I kind of like Omega. Sigma would be all right for a smaller ship but it'd look like a blimp if it was "big".

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, the lack of windows and other details to get across the scale of them isn't helping much either.

Seriously though what the gently caress is with those nacelles. You can have four of them Cryptic, fine, but at least make them symmetrical. :spergin:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Asimo posted:

In general: if it's movie/TV stuff, it's owned jointly by CBS, Paramount, or both. If it's from a licensed production like a novel or a game then it's generally owned by both CBS/Paramount and whoever created the media in question. You'll never see stuff from other Trek games in STO for this reason, since Cryptic would have to negotiate with some other company as well as their ongoing license with CBS. The Vesta itself is a really weird outlier, since they went out of their way to get a license from Rademaker for it too, and gently caress if I know why (maybe Geko had a hard-on for it like the Excelsior?).

In any case, these shared rights issues are why you'll almost certainly never see ships and stuff from other games or media in STO (it would require a license from a third part), why you'll never see a T6 connie (STO's license had a limited number of TOS appearances allowed in it and more would require a renegotiated license from Paramount), and why we'll likely not see T6 Vesta (since it would require a new/expanded license from Rademaker.)

What's really unfortunate is that they don't have close ties with Abrams.

If they did they might have been able to swing some star wars stuff too, for maximum cross-promotion nerd rage.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Tunicate posted:

What's really unfortunate is that they don't have close ties with Abrams.

If they did they might have been able to swing some star wars stuff too, for maximum cross-promotion nerd rage.

I would love to use a star destroyer to take down federation ships, and just imagine the argument it would cause.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
It's called the Bastion cruiser with Romulan plasma git gud.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Maybe, but you'd have to do a mod though, for Empire at War voiceovers(At least) for powers. It just wouldn't be the same without "FIRE FOR MAXIMUM EFFECT!" for your Power to Weapons and so on.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I must be the only person who likes the Gamma fed carrier concept :shrug:

Doesn't matter what it looks like in the end if the BoFF layout is still poo poo. Let's hope it's not another Atrox or Obelisk carrier.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
It will be... an Atroxity :downsrim:

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
God, imagine if they let us name it.

The Xternity class Carrier features a commander engineering station, two lieutenant commander engineering/command stations and an ensign universal station...

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

SKY COQ posted:

God, imagine if they let us name it.

The Xternity class Carrier features a commander engineering station, two lieutenant commander engineering/command stations and an ensign universal station...

Wow, so wrong. The Xtern1ty class carrier features all science seats because Xtern1ty is the first scientific community. Learn your Xean facts

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Instead of a command chair there is a pillar with a stone carving of Xean facing the viewscreen, signifying Xean being the pillar of the STO community.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Morglon posted:

Wow, so wrong. The Xtern1ty class carrier features all science seats because Xtern1ty is the first scientific community. Learn your Xean facts

Um

The First International Scientific Community Against Cybobullying

you mean.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Morglon posted:

All of them ensign level, however there are more of them.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Axe-man posted:

All of them ensign level, however there are more of them.

A shitload of ensign slots and one commander but you can't use that one and have to leave it vacant because it's reserved for Xean alone.

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

DancingShade posted:

A shitload of ensign slots and one commander but you can't use that one and have to leave it vacant because it's reserved for Xean alone.

I will pay cryptic a lot of money to make this happen. They need to integrate the option for people to pay money to name new things like on the SA forums.

I miss STO sometimes.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.

Asimo posted:

The Vesta itself is a really weird outlier, since they went out of their way to get a license from Rademaker for it too, and gently caress if I know why (maybe Geko had a hard-on for it like the Excelsior?).

The Vesta design is not owned by CBS, that is why it took so long to get it in. I'm trying to find out how Radmaker's ship became the face of the Vesta. I I'm pretty sure the Vesta appeared first in the books before they even had a design. I think CBS licensed the design because they liked it.

Also the Vesta for STO had been requested by fans for a while.

The Luna design is owned by CBS, it was one of the conditions of winning the design contest.

I think CBS technically owns the design of the Odyssey as well.

First round of Voting is up
http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9564953

Alpha is winning on the forums by 15%.

I'm not going to bother counting the tweets/Facebook comments

Tuskin38 fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Sep 24, 2015

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Apparently Xean was very rude to one of the mods of Channel XTERN1TY and the mod had enough of xean's abusiveness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_DioKmzJNk

Rip Channel XTERN1TY

ETA:

a video of xean telling the guy he was abusing that "silence = consent"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXXIuxZ0ZW4

ETA2:

annnnd the pastebin

http://pastebin.com/8EzTzvpQ

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Sep 25, 2015

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime
More Xean news, apparently he has gone on the offensive, posting a thread both on Reddit and the STO forums.

STO link: http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1204410/psa-alert-cyberbullying-and-abuse-of-sto

Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/3mat9o/cyberbullying_and_abuse_of_sto/

He is going full-on batshit right now.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
What dictates how many skills a Boff can have active? All my dudes are equal rank (centurion) but 1 guy can have active skills from Ensign, Lt and Lt Comm. Another 2 can pull from Ensign and Lt and the last lovely one (which I want to dump) can only pull from Ensign. Not really sure what's going on.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tai posted:

What dictates how many skills a Boff can have active? All my dudes are equal rank (centurion) but 1 guy can have active skills from Ensign, Lt and Lt Comm. Another 2 can pull from Ensign and Lt and the last lovely one (which I want to dump) can only pull from Ensign. Not really sure what's going on.

In space, the ship you've slotted them into has set ability levels per boff slot. On the ground, everyone should have four.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

MikeJF posted:

In space, the ship you've slotted them into has set ability levels per boff slot. On the ground, everyone should have four.

Anyway to increase this or just need to buy a better ship later on.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

hakimashou posted:

Apparently Xean was very rude to one of the mods of Channel XTERN1TY and the mod had enough of xean's abusiveness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_DioKmzJNk

Rip Channel XTERN1TY

ETA:

a video of xean telling the guy he was abusing that "silence = consent"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXXIuxZ0ZW4

ETA2:

annnnd the pastebin

http://pastebin.com/8EzTzvpQ

It is quite disturbing watching a future serial rapist get to work on his manifesto.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

That was a lot of words.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

loving Xean is on full meltdown mode and trying to convince the world that we did it. Spoiler to pubbies reading this, we didn't do this or we'd be bragging about it in here.

I do think we should send that admin a lockbox ship though.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Tai posted:

Anyway to increase this or just need to buy a better ship later on.

The bolded. Bridge layout basically defines a ship. 'Better' is relative, of course.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
I'm pretty sure that the BoB director noted in Xean's reddit link defected to Goonswarm because folks at the pointy end of BoB were acting like utter dicks.

So... Xean is aware of the history but is doing everything in his power to re-enact it?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Tacticalrook is a good dude, i don't think he's a goon but he's been a buddy on sto for a long time. He sidled up to xean pretty early on and has tried to be a mentor to him i guess. Side benefit is he passed along lots of stories about xean's antics.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
So either xean or a sane person who is a reddit mod removed xean's insane rant.

Here it is:

This to inform our members and STO Administrators that tonight, Thursday, September 24, at 9:37 PM eastern, an attack was carried out upon our channel XTERN1TY by members of Something Awful and the Nerds of Prey/Starfleet Dental group. This attack kicked all non-administrative members of our channel, over 750 members. This happened after I revealed to the perpetrator, a trusted member of our group; I knew he was playing double sides. As there would be no proof of this unless they made their move; I let the spy do what they wanted all along to prove beyond any doubt their true intent. Though the saboteur was a longtime member of our channel, treated as a trusted friend and granted limited administrator privileges, he was never truly on our side and was only waiting for an opportunity to stab us in the back.
I have our channel members on my friends list and will be sending out invites to those kicked tomorrow with the assistance of our allied fleet leaders and loyal administrators. No fleet members have been kicked in our fleets or any of our allies, this only affected our channel.

This is not a simple XTERN1TY vs Dental issue and has not been for a while as we are not the only targets of their attacks. This is a Something Awful vs STO issue and must be addressed. Even if you do not want any part of this, you will be affected by the far reaching consequences of this group's background activities on STO, if you are not already. Please read the following overview for further insight.
Pertinent background info on the conflict by bully-troll groups led by SA groups SW/NoP/SFD/T'D:
In our prior encounter with NoP/Dental, as some recall from Druk's forum thread, we last foiled an attempt at sabotage like they had used successfully on Eve: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/02/05/internet-spaceships-super-drama/ By luring their spies into the open through the use of scripted fleet mails, we prevented that part of their plan, but what they've been after all along is to break apart our entire group, including channel; as they have now proven.

http://i.imgur.com/TbE8W7w.png

For the past 2 years we have been under almost constant attack by these groups of bully-trolls because of our firm stand against their harmful acts (which has nothing to do with disco balls or any of the petty excuses they give to mask the real issue) - despite repeated requests to be left alone and appeals to administrators of STO, which have been largely ignored.
Aside from in-game and forum smear and shaming campaigns, my friends have been witness and subjected to cyberbullying and especially psycho-bullying off-game by SA members especially psycho-bullying. Psycho-bullying is what I call the mind-games they play on people, e.g, group bullying a target while pretending to others to be doing something benign, even beneficial.

SA members regularly use the game and internet as a platform to perform acts of intentional malice. This kicking comes the day after we uncovered solid evidence of something I had already realized - that members of NoP-Dental were abusing game dynamics to cause harm to others, examples of which include:
Deliberately abusing the auto-silence feature by spam group reporting a target of intimidation until they receive a mute in-game, accessing server side areas of STO to find ip addresses of targets, using STO to compile personal information of players in their Shutup Wesley wiki and they approach targeted female (possibly underage) players, asking for explicit photographs and encounters. Those who speak out are routinely threatened and harassed into silence, to such an extent they are forced to leave STO. One example of this regular game abuse is their secret joining of a private channels without being invited to spy on conversations using backdoor tricks.

These are tricks they claim to know because of close relationship with Developers. Ultimately, though SA's groups must be held accountable for their actions; it is impossible to negate Company involvement. Posts like SFD Visits Cryptic Studios are used by SFD to intimidate players and keep them quiet. Though we have not recorded any incidents of Devs actually participating in malicious activity of SA groups, workers of Cryptic have supported SA/NoP/SFD and participated in their threads, lending credence to NoP-Dental's stance that they are supported by devs. This poses a conflict of interest both logically and legally.

Public Petition:
I ask all concerned and responsible players to join us in an open call for a full investigation of the SA/NoP/SFD groups, their activities and the connections they have with workers of Cryptic. Your support is crucial to override the overwhelming brainwashing this group is doing to people in game to mask their own ill activities.
Regardless what you think of me or our group, nothing gives NoP/Dental the authority to use STO as a platform to abuse to the extent they take it, even if they have been allowed the ability to do so. While they attempt to silence us by saying it's just a game so they can continue without facing punishment, what they are involved in doing is no game to those they attack, but brings about consequences and potential for real world harm. I have seen suicide threats posted by people who have been harassed by this group and have intervened on multiple occasions on behalf of other players. I will not keep silent on SA's abuse of this game and I encourage those who understand what I'm talking about to speak out with me. If you wish to discuss this issue, feel free to contact me here

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

"This poses a conflict of interest both logically and legally."

lol. i don't understand, this is a bideo james.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

This was a long time coming but we are so close to a news story about Xean being found in his apartment with a bathtub full of fecal lasagna.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

DonDoodles posted:

More Xean news, apparently he has gone on the offensive, posting a thread both on Reddit and the STO forums.

STO link: http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1204410/psa-alert-cyberbullying-and-abuse-of-sto

Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/3mat9o/cyberbullying_and_abuse_of_sto/

He is going full-on batshit right now.

Xean already deleted his Reddit account because even Reddit wouldn't accept him.

Also thanks for capturing his deleted OP.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Oh Xean, just when things were getting dull you go and do this.

Lafarg
Jul 23, 2012

New character name "PsychoBully"

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Warning, this link has Xean's personal information as that's all this wiki is for, he said so himself.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Defiance Industries posted:

This was a long time coming but we are so close to a news story about Xean being found in his apartment with a bathtub full of fecal lasagna.

We should probably lay off before this turns into another Elliot Rodger.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Unguided posted:

We should probably lay off before this turns into another Elliot Rodger.

Most of the poo poo he's all crazy about only exists in his head as it is, I doubt our actions or inaction matter all that much.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
In Xean's defence, he did just discover that his wife is a goon and only only married him as a SFD PSYOPS instrument.

That sort of thing would make anyone jumpy.

Release of OPERATION TANGERINE OPSEC authorization 27b/4

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Not content with spamming the xean thread, our drunk-high friend made another thread too with more of his hardon for nabreeki.

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1204420/people-pretending-to-be-someone-else-offline#latest

I looked at his post history and he made 2 threads in March to passive-aggressive bitch about the Leonard Nimoy memorial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Thread just got nuked, Xean is banned. :cheers:

Trendy posted:

Alright. I'm instabanning people now. I'm going to comb through the thread when I get in. This is not alright. You do NOT post inflammatory naming and shaming like this, nor should anyone feed the flames in an already heated trolling thread.

/closed

Because aotc is lazy:

Goodnight, sweet prince.

Aleth fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Sep 25, 2015

• Locked thread