Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Despera posted:

Rooting for Cruz is rooting for chaos right now. Love me some chaos.

Well I'm glad it's not Rubes.

Cruz would fail harder than Trump at the general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mz_wlXhq0vs

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

someone posted a link saying the black turnout in some of those southern open primaries is like twice as high as it was in whichever year they compared it to - from like 3% to like 6%. and we don't actually know who they voted for, could've been anti-trump votes

aside from arguments that say black people won't vote for a neoliberal even though they've been doing that all month, is there any evidence that black people who aren't already republicans are going to vote for trump over hillary? polls?

aside from diamond and silk. and yeah there'll be a non-zero number of black not-already-republicans who vote for trump, you can't argue that it hasn't already happened in the primaries (only argue whether more of them voted against him than for. but it's not gonna be zero for trump). i'm wondering if it's going to be significant

Despera posted:

VA is pretty solid blue methinks.

the rubio voters in nova and to a lesser degree in the richmond suburbs seem like ground zero for establishment gop defections yeah

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 5, 2016

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I figured the only reason Mitt gave that speech was because he was being set up to be the candidate if the GOP decided to go the convention-shenanigans-into-white-knight route.

He did a decent job with his talk, but it doesn't make much sense for Mitt to be the messenger otherwise. He's MISTER Establishment and as such would not convince anyone who'd vote for Trump to change their vote.

However I see any scenario robbing Trump of his nomination via shenanigans to result in a GOP loss at the polls with the caveat of unusual external events (market crash, terrorist scenarios, Hillary indictment), so the question is, why would Mitt or anyone else want the role of sacrificial lamb unless they were willing to play for those low chance scenarios in return for being able to skip the whole bloody nomination process?

Unless they actually felt it was the right thing to do even in the event of a sure loss in the general election. If you felt the number one priority was to stop Trump being nominated/elected at all costs, then it would be worth damning the party's general election prospects by doing it via convention rules lawyering. It would be more of a sure thing than other choices, if the thing you really feared was Trump trashing the GOP brand after getting the nomination, and assumed that the downticket damage would be less with a Romney White Knight scenario than a Trump Nominee scenario.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

Well I'm glad it's not Rubes.

Cruz would fail harder than Trump at the general.

Why can't we have both in the general? Muwhahahaha

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Necc0 posted:

It's at least refreshing seeing some of them understanding why they're losing this. How many Republicans are going to jump ship to the Democratic party when Trump seals this?

Yeah, it's amazing to see him talking about be like "ha ha, man, you ran for President too! And you would have avoided this! But instead Trump gave out your cell phone number and then you went and cried on McCain's shoulder while you watched your party die."

Jewel Repetition posted:

Tfw we may need to rally around Ted Cruz

My favorite part is when the guy's saying "You think you're going to have to support Cruz?" and he says literally "I can't believe I'm going to say this, but yes."

How's that for a fuckin endorsement

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.

Majorian posted:

Also his model may have been wrong this election cycle, but hey, it's been a ridiculously weird one, and political-statistical models like his don't always do so well when fate throws a curveball. He probably shouldn't have clung to it for so long, but it's hard to blame him for that when you've worked hard on it for a long time and it would probably be right in a "normal" cycle.

The problem is that just like with Silver's baseball crap, he 1) doesn't have enough statistical knowledge to build in effective extreme events scenarios into his model 2) gets suckered into making grand proclamations based on the model up front instead of deep diving for proximal causes.

Enten should be launched into the Sun, but he had to learn from someone.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i guess the establishment republicans really think they can openly gently caress their base's plurality candidate of choice over and rob themselves of any chance of blaming the loss on trump, then somehow come out of it stronger. it's bizarre

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Slate Action posted:

Cruz at 52% in Kansas so far :eyepop:

Please let Cruz come back tonight. I want chaos and want to see Trump blow a gasket.

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo. GOP Caucus site in Wichita having to make a Kinko's run for more ballots.

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...
"Saudi Arabia wouldnt EXIST without us"

"They'll call you within 28 hours"

Don's got those 28 pages on the brain.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
I love Trumps diplomatic fan fiction

breaklaw
May 12, 2008

ShutteredIn posted:

Trump just said Bernie blew the election because he said he doesn't care about Hillary's emails :laffo:

He's right and I only halfway forgive Bernie for this. No way Clinton would have played the "clean campaign" card with him if the roles were reversed. America deserves a Trump-Sanders election and Bernie is blowing it.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

apatheticman posted:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

breaklaw posted:

He's right and I only halfway forgive Bernie for this. No way Clinton would have played the "clean campaign" card with him if the roles were reversed. America deserves a Trump-Sanders election and Bernie is blowing it.

If Bernie was the kind of guy to run with that kind of really, really dumb attack line, he wouldn't be the guy that the left is excited about.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

apatheticman posted:

Tom Clancy is alive and he is my friend

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

Boosted_C5 posted:

Holy poo poo. GOP Caucus site in Wichita having to make a Kinko's run for more ballots.

Trump fans saw him losing on the teevee and now we're about to see a hilarious Trump surge (but still loss)?

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

2016 Republican Primary: "You have to say it is exciting, right?"

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

breaklaw posted:

Catch-22, the type of people who vote for Bernie aren't into mud slingling.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

If Bernie was the kind of guy to run with that kind of really, really dumb attack line, he wouldn't be the guy that the left is excited about.

There is nothing dumb about attacking Clinton over her greatest weakness as a candidate - being completely corrupt and perceiving herself as above the law and above we the little people.

What Clinton did was W-R-O-N-G. Period. She set up a private e-mail server to use for conducting the PUBLIC'S business. Unacceptable.

Never mind all the classified info. confirmed on it.

Anyone who actually understands the laws allegedly violated and understands handling of classified info knows this. Clinton is very successfully muddying the issue with b.s. that is legally irrelevant, like whether or not she knew any emails contained classified info, whether or not it was marked, etc. This is all fluff for the media and public that is not legally meaningful.

And this isn't some personal matter separate from public service. Actions taken while in the role of sec. state relating to that position are 100% legitimate topics and 100% what SHOULD be a focus of any candidate's campaign against her.

Boosted_C5 fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Mar 5, 2016

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Lmao this race is seriously boiling down to cruz v trump. GOP's worst loving nightmare. If they choose anyone else at the convention a huge plurality of true believers are gonna be pissed.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Trump is gonna get the black vote if he keeps hammering on Mexicans stealing American jobs.

As he should.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Mister Fister posted:

The feeling I get from Bernie voters is that they already know why they don't like Hillary, and they've known it for 8 years.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mister Fister posted:

Interesting alternate universe you're posting from

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
I could see the GOPe loving over donald for cruz.

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He told the pigs blood bullets story again.

Interesting choice, Don.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Oiled and Ready posted:

He told the pigs blood bullets story again.

Interesting choice, Don.

Ah masterful pivot

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

I'd tend to agree with Boosted.

Some of you are saying that Bernie supporters don't have the bloodthirst to support Bernie going after Clinton, but I really don't think that's true. Bernie goes after Wall Street with a huge amount of venom, and Bernie supporters love it. He absolutely could have done the same with Clinton, at the very least emphasizing her links with big business that are extremely suggestive of corruption. He made a choice not to, not wanting to risk ruining a Democrat victory in November (given how much poo poo the GOP has been throwing at itself, I think this was a baseless worry that wouldn't have been effective much had Bernie chosen to sling some mud).

As for emails...in all seriousness, it's really not that big a deal, and there are vastly more important things that the election should be about. But there's no doubt in my mind that any sort of defense contractor or low to mid level government staffer who did the same thing would most certainly have been fired, and very likely prosecuted. You're delusional if you think otherwise.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Is there anyway at a brokered convention they'd select Rubio and all hell would break loose?

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
My family is government all the way down, and if something like the e-mail thing had happened (especially with an old govt employee) they'd sweep it under the carpet and tell that person to start doing it right. I'm sorry there's this weird view of government workers that they're somehow not just aggressively normal people who do aggressive normal person dipshit things.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

Mister Fister posted:

People aren't generally "into" mud slinging they're just more or less susceptible to it and I doubt bernie supporters are much different than other people on that

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Hollismason posted:

Is there anyway at a brokered convention they'd select Rubio and all hell would break loose?
The establishment would have to be incredibly stupid and arrogant to think that that wouldn't be a disaster.

So yeah, it's plausible.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Hollismason posted:

Any scenario with a brokered convention, outside everyone falling in line with Trump, would be pure unadulterated chaos.

Wyld Thang
Feb 23, 2016

XK posted:

I hope we don't end up with the GOPe throwing in a third candidate, or somehow loving things up so the election goes to the House and they install somebody nobody wanted. We might have an actual civil war, or American voters from both sides overthrowing the government.

Except this is being done to avoid an actual physical civil war and turning us into the Balkans. The extremes on both the right and the left would love such a war to happen because that justifies everything they've been working towards since the 1960s, while those in the center right/left view such an approach as a horror show.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Pick posted:

My family is government all the way down, and if something like the e-mail thing had happened (especially with an old govt employee) they'd sweep it under the carpet and tell that person to start doing it right. I'm sorry there's this weird view of government workers that they're somehow not just aggressively normal people who do aggressive normal person dipshit things.

If it hadn't already made it's way to the press, sure. If the email thing happened with someone lower level, and the press got a hold of it, that person would be hung out to dry.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Boosted_C5 posted:

yeah, more ballots to vote for cruz lmao

https://twitter.com/DecisionDeskHQ/status/706225319494029313

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He just had everyone at this rally hold up their right hand and swear to vote for him.

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Oiled and Ready posted:

He just had everyone at this rally hold up their right hand and swear to vote for him.

Lol

at a kind of 45 degree angle?

• Locked thread