Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

A MIRACLE posted:

What does any of this have to do with Spam

Hello friend. Might I direct you to this post of mine in the sardine thread and this recipe.

Netflix related- does anyone else absolutely love The Finder? This is one of those cancelled shows like Terriers that deserved another season at least imo. I really like Geoff Stults and of course Michael Clarke Duncan (RIP) and it's got just the right amount of quirky. Much like
Stults' other cancelled-too-soon show Enlisted. Goddammit stop cancelling shows like this! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Yeah that was my problem too! The show needed way more on-screen defecation.

Those of you who have not yet should watch Okja it really is a weird enjoyable movie. Those of you who have watched it should watch it again.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Pycckuu posted:

I don't consider pissing to be a sexual act, but to each his own.

I didn't write that you were revolted by sexual acts. I wrote that you were revolted by female sexuality.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

Speaking of gross poo poo, I'm watching the first episode of this show called embarrassing bodies. :wtf: UK?! Why does this exist?

Netflix's selection of UK-produced tv documentary stuff really makes the British Isles seem like a revolting freakshow. It really gave me some perspective on how the rest of the world must perceive America.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
I think you've been too hard on the piss guy.
What I think he was saying is that the scenes mentioned: lactation, pissing; serve an obvious purpose - to diversify the way women are portrayed in media. Women have usually been distanced from such things as performing hygienic procedures or other "gross" bodily functions as this is seen "unladylike" - so by showing so much of this and in a row your goal is clear. To normalise the perception of what a woman is, a human being ,instead of a defunct Lady stereotype.
But if you're already in agreement with these ideas, the message becomes heavy-handed - why are you showing me this, when I already know this? It might appear superfluous and not adding anything to the scene, not to mention repetitive.
Which is a fine reason to get annoyed by a TV show, isn't it?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

business hammocks posted:

Netflix's selection of UK-produced tv documentary stuff really makes the British Isles seem like a revolting freakshow. It really gave me some perspective on how the rest of the world must perceive America.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQ8oGDUWpmY

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

The_Rob posted:

This sounds pretty bad. There is a hero who is perfect and everyone already loves, and there isn't even a real villain? What the hell even happens in the movie do they just sit around and enjoy the weather?

Yes. That's exactly what happens in the movie. You got it.

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014

business hammocks posted:

Oh you have to wait if they fineshed their program for the eu. :fedora::magical:
The eu will force netflix to take an % (sorry don't know the exact number) amount of local productions in their program. :argh:

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches

Monglo posted:

What I think he was saying is that the scenes mentioned: lactation, pissing; serve an obvious purpose - to diversify the way women are portrayed in media. Women have usually been distanced from such things as performing hygienic procedures or other "gross" bodily functions as this is seen "unladylike" - so by showing so much of this and in a row your goal is clear. To normalise the perception of what a woman is, a human being ,instead of a defunct Lady stereotype.
But if you're already in agreement with these ideas, the message becomes heavy-handed - why are you showing me this, when I already know this? It might appear superfluous and not adding anything to the scene, not to mention repetitive.

Why even notice it though? If a character has a conversation while brushing their teeth, do you think about the subtext of dental hygiene or just let it be part of the show?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Monglo posted:

He is weirdly obsessed with two relatively small scenes that he's exaggerated &, once again, it's not hard 2 imagine the reason a show about (cis) female wrestlers would foreground the physicality of their bodies.
Plus neither scene is "about" them pissing/lactating like some strict school lesson on the body or w/e.
One is used 2 show Allison Brie's ambition/desperation & as an obvious laugh line that she would lobby her agent in the bathroom. & lactating clearly works as exposition & the context in which it happens (exercise class) is, again, intended to be funny and also show the intimacy of the characters' friendship that Allison Brie gives her her own clothes mid-class.

E: Plus like... U know... Exercise class... Female wrestlers...

Hat Thoughts fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jul 3, 2017

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Monglo posted:

What I think he was saying is that the scenes mentioned: lactation, pissing; serve an obvious purpose - to diversify the way women are portrayed in media.

He's saying he watched fifteen minutes of one episode of a TV show, and that this qualifies him to talk about how only objectification could be a redeeming factor to him.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

:lol:

Yeah the thing that cracks me up about it, just beyond how loving graphic it is, is that it is so exploitive and they keep saying with a straight face that they are trying to help people. Like, do they not see the irony of "She can't even undress in front of a lover because she is so embarrassed of the skin flap on her butthole" 4 seconds later we are seeing a close up of her butthole and someone flicking the skin flap around.

Also, I was eating lunch while watching it.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

WHY BONER NOW posted:

It's pretty ridiculous, yet I've watched 5 seasons of it now. It can be pretty dark. It does have some brief moments that I would consider legitimately good, like in season 3 one of the main characters goes through a big character arc. Come to think of it, I'd say it peaked in season 3.

I looked into my heart and I can say I recommend it, as long as you are aware it's a goofy rear end melodrama.

It's a remake of some landmark Australian prime time soap opera or something, right? Just keep that in mind.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Pycckuu posted:

Lets talk about some famous pissing scenes. In the show Patriot, a number of major plot events develop in the men's room of the McMillan offices. However, you will notice that the pissing is never actually the focus of the scene

Hahaha literally the very first bathroom scene in Patriot is John asking Dennis "I need your pee". Get help broseph, or get a better posting gimmick.

Unrelated, Moana is probably the best Disney movie I've ever seen, at least since Tangled. It's so good.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Punkin Spunkin posted:

How is that? Good for TV or just good for Australian TV?

My girlfriend has been watching this so I only catch bits, but it has one really awesome shiv-fight in like the second or third season.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.

precision posted:

Hahaha literally the very first bathroom scene in Patriot is John asking Dennis "I need your pee". Get help broseph, or get a better posting gimmick.

Also there were for sure piss-hitting-porcelain sound effects in that scene: "I can hear you peeing."

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014

precision posted:

Unrelated, Moana is probably the best Disney movie I've ever seen, at least since Tangled. It's so good.

To hear the rock singing you have to watch moana I don' t like disney singing movies but this one is fun and not only for children.
But by the way someone an idea when/if ballers get a new season?

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
I don't know why I was so surprised but I loved how much magic poo poo was in Moana. Like, I was just enchanted by the ocean. How did a Disney movie manage to make me feel that considering there's magic crazy poo poo in every single Disney movie ever?

It's also a pretty rad Bechdel test movie, which feels like something Lasseter has been building up to since he took over.

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014
I was watchin a making of to moana and they told they spend much time to bring the history/culture correct in the movie.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

XenJ posted:

I was watchin a making of to moana and they told they spend much time to bring the history/culture correct in the movie.

The scene where Moana discovers that her ancestors were ocean explorers / island hoppers and realizes that's why she feels so restless (aka becomes aware of her roots) legit brings tears to my eye. It's so good. Moana is good.

Not enough pissing scenes tho

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Drunk Tomato posted:

Not enough pissing scenes tho
Moana legitimately had a pissing scene, but you're right that it could have had more.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Watched it with my daughter, pretty good but that first song was kinda eh, didn't really flow.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
If there's no drinking of pee, it's not a true sea movie

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

coyo7e posted:

If there's no drinking of pee, it's not a true sea movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTAAsCNK7RA

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Moana is super good and I wish I hadn't consumed my children so that the prophecies would not come true and they would usurp me, so I could watch it with them.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

mysterious frankie posted:

Moana is super good and I wish I hadn't consumed my children so that the prophecies would not come true and they would usurp me, so I could watch it with them.

one of them was a bundle of rocks

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I watched okja with my girlfriend and now I have to be vegan

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

A MIRACLE posted:

Have I got a thread for you!

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Couple pages back, but if you consider women wanting more and better roles in Hollywood to be "politics" you're a loving idiot

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It took me a scene or two to even recognize The Rock in Moana because I've never heard his voice pitch up that high.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I'm basically the exact opposite demographic for Disney musicals but watched it anyway because the rock was in it.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

XenJ posted:

But by the way someone an idea when/if ballers get a new season?

Next season starts in a couple of weeks.

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014

A MIRACLE posted:

Never heard from before but I made it on my list sounds intrresting for me thank you

Cool didn' t see that thread before a big thx for an unexpected surprise 😘 just added to my bookmarks.

Pingiivi posted:

Next season starts in a couple of weeks.

Thank you. I'm realy excited for that show. Cant wait to get my hands on new episodes haha is realy funny that show rocks me more a s the new upcoming season of Game of Thrones :doh:

XenJ fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jul 4, 2017

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

XenJ posted:

Never heard from before but I made it on my list sounds intrresting for me thank you

Cool didn' t see that thread before a big thx for an unexpected surprise 😘 just added to my bookmarks.

I'd recommend going in blind to Okja.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Just finished Eastbound and Down and loved it. Any other non-PC comedies/dramadies recommended?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mammal Sauce posted:

Just finished Eastbound and Down and loved it. Any other non-PC comedies/dramadies recommended?

Vice Principals is basically the same thing with a different setting/slightly different characters, it's on HBO Go/Now and maybe some other places.

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014

Mammal Sauce posted:

Shameless comes first in my mind the first's seasons are realy cool and nice to watch. But not sure if that match for you because i didnt see Eastbound and down yet. So I can't say if it is in that line of non-PC what you ecpect.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Eastbound and Down definitely fits into the non-PC category and every one should watch it. I recently did a rewatch and it is still amazingly funny.

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jul 4, 2017

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014
Ok thank you I will take a look soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Mammal Sauce posted:

I've been making my way through Delocated and you should really check it out if you like eastbound and down. It's different and somehow more absurd, but hits a lot of the same notes.