Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

WaltherFeng posted:

Can you tell me what armor set is that and which dlc is it from?

You get the smithing text from beating Way of the Warrior: Veteran on Dream of the Nioh, so presumably the final DLC?

Edit: Better aesthetic shot

Morter fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Aug 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Sorry to double-post but

I loving love this game to death and will not stop playing for a good while longer, considering i'm only level 18 in the Underground.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
It's insane how much meat Nioh has on its bones. I don't have the time spent on my first Playthrough of the first Nioh, but my second one on PC was approaching 90 hours. For NG, NG+ and a bit of NG++ with almost all sub-missions done and me already knowing what to do and everything. My original completed playthrough probably clocked in on multiple hundred hours too.

With Nioh 2 I got no idea again because I'm playing on PS4 but I played it a lot. Just been taking a break from it for the last two or so weeks due to other stuff.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I spent almost 200 extra hours, but goddamn everything clicked when i got my graces. Izanagi/Susano here with Splitstaff/Switchglaive. I finally reached Level max too, holy poo poo i've come a long way from bitching about Regular Oni Shibata! Now i completely dismantle him!

I recently started clearing extra scrolls and realized Ancient Nyotengu was not on my yokai list. That was a rude fuckin' surprise. Buffed up Nyotengu in a Nioh Scroll is bad news

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Aug 22, 2021

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Beat DotW, had to summon a helper though. Level 365 with a +24 weapon. I am still using my original sets. I am trying to get sets together to try out death dancer and versatility.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Fargin Icehole posted:

I recently started clearing extra scrolls and realized Ancient Nyotengu was not on my yokai list. That was a rude fuckin' surprise. Buffed up Nyotengu in a Nioh Scroll is bad news

Oh ho ho ho ho!

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

When should I start poking around the underworld?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Calidus posted:

When should I start poking around the underworld?

I think "as soon as you can" is what I'd say. The rewards are really drat good and they help you get better faster.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

The difficulty jump from DotW to DotN isn’t that bad. I am using my cups so game is really puking loot all over the place because the upgrades are huge, 10 levels and +13 value. Now that I am starting to see how crazy gear gets I realize how bad mine is.

Also all the revenants use fists or switch Glaive, what gives?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

They're good weapons :nallears:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
^^^ I feel like I should be bored with fists by now, and I remember the other weapons being good and fun, but I just can't bring myself to switch out my fire hands :( (and a backup switchglaive just for the projectile reflect move).

signalnoise posted:

I think "as soon as you can" is what I'd say. The rewards are really drat good and they help you get better faster.

Yep, I still can't clear out one floor of Underworld without collecting multiple levels-worth of amrita, which at this point is millions. I think the very first time I cleared floor 1 I leveled up 10 times :getin:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Nioh 2 frustrates me. I want to like the katana but I'm clumsy with it.

Inversely, even though I'm a light-armor agility centric person, I remembered how fun it felt swinging and slamming the axe around, and I know I had fun with the odachi. Goddamn it.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Tried a spear built yet? It has a similar feeling moveset to me, and it's halfway between the small fast weapons and the big slow ones, but more focused on thrust attacks than slashing obviously. Low stance has a combo ender where you can flip up into the air, mid stance has a kick for knocking down ki, high stance has a lot of big overhead swings to break horns. And once you unlock the mysitc art that lets you do the little twirl when you ki pulse from any stance it gets really gross. Even though that move doesn't do much damage a lot of the time it can interrupt enemy attacks and since it's also a ki pulse you're now ready to keep blazing with your next combo.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

I kind want to try courage + heart fist and just enjoy an infinite amount of ki.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I've tried all the weapons but I just keep coming back to the katana and dual katanas. Something about them just clicked with me better than the other weapons. Helps that True and Through dropped for me the very first time I defeated Azai Nagamasa.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

I should really try to farm some skills. I did unlock sacred bird cry by killing Yoshitune in a scroll, I should really try it out.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

There are a few boss drops that really stand out to me
-If you ever use the spear, I highly recommend farming Triple Threat from Maeda Toshiie. Does three long range stabs in a row, nice low ki cost, solid damage if you time your presses correctly.
-Second Wind for kusarigama turns whirlwind into a useful (and more importantly, very stylish) ki-drain move for human enemies
-Luminous Blade Talisman is an excellent spell, if your character has a high magic score you owe it to yourself to get the lightsaber spell
-I like to use soul core attacks as often as possible so dragon claw/fang/horn for sword/2sword/odachi is a straight upgrade on grapple for me

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Ultimate Sign of the Cross and Dragon Claw are both super necessary for dual swords, in my opinion

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Captainicus posted:

-Second Wind for kusarigama turns whirlwind into a useful (and more importantly, very stylish) ki-drain move for human enemies

On a whim i unlocked that post-interim mission to fight koroku to farm for this.

It took me 3 fights.

What the gently caress. Why haven't i still gotten Kurama Dance after several dozen fights? This is bullshit :mad:

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Crafting is seems kinda useless in DotN with the existence of +set bonuses and the orange graces. I guess you could make a divine set then use lucky drop??

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Calidus posted:

Crafting is seems kinda useless in DotN with the existence of +set bonuses and the orange graces. I guess you could make a divine set then use lucky drop??

Yeah, and it's not the most fun farming/crossing fingers but eventually getting the weapons/armors you want with the correct grace is unbeatable.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

loving....

FINALLY!

:negative:

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

The game keeps giving me Futsunushi, so I guess I need go back to quick drawing everything.

Sinatrapod
Sep 24, 2007

The "Latin" is too dangerous, my queen!

Morter posted:

FINALLY!

drat, he really made you WORK for it. Excellent determination!

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Do scrolls drop in the underworld? I haven’t see one yet.

ongyoki are the most annoying yokai in the game.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Scrolls do drop in the underworld. Personally, the most annoying yokai to me is that big monster tengu looking thing from dlc3 with tons of health, followed by cannon skeleton hiding in bushes/around a corner/etc that pops up and shoots while you are busy.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

I think I have finally gotten good, and by good I mean I use items and spam Sword Dance. I knew cat bells were good but corruption, cats and sword dance just wrecks human bosses. I killed Honda and he only got off 3 attacks.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I'm still fairly early in the game - just at the Viper level - but I cannot for the life of me pull off the burst counter > yokai grapple combo. I know it only works when you drain the yokai's "maximum" ki rather than just reducing their normal bar to 0, so when they collapse/fall down, but either I'm doing it too late or it's just not working. Do I need to unlock it, or have a full transformation meter, or something? I feel like my character transforms back to human basically as soon as the burst counter is done so I'm really confused about the timing as well. At best I end up doing a normal final blow, but even that only seems to become available (cursor turning red) a good few seconds after I definitely stop being in the burst counter yokai form.

I know it's not really a big deal but it looks cool and would really help with some of these HP sponge yokai/bosses.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

You have to actually transform to grapple. The grapple is automatic when you transform. Burst counter isn’t transform. You can input buffer so it looks seamless.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Calidus posted:

You have to actually transform to grapple. The grapple is automatic when you transform. Burst counter isn’t transform. You can input buffer so it looks seamless.
Are you sure? I've read loads of people on reddit/gamefaqs/YouTube guides saying you should be able to just grapple as long as the burst counter drains them to a grapple state, e.g. https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/241160-nioh-2/78522341

I know, don't rely on reddit and gamefaqs lol but there seems to be a strong consensus that it works?

The fextralife wiki (which seems broadly reliable?) says so as well:

https://nioh2.wiki.fextralife.com/Yokai+Shift

quote:

Shift.
You also do a Yokai Shift Grapple when you grapple an enemy immediately after they had their Ki drained by a Burst Counter.
I'm absolutely not saying you're wrong, not trying to be a dick! If you're right there's a lot of disinformation about this out there

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Ya got two things that are less complicated than they sound but some of the terms confuse it (took me a while too), you can:

Get anything into a grapple-able state (winded), walk up so your reticle is red, but instead of Y to grapple press Y+B (lol if I'm remembering the right buttons) and you'll transform and do your yokai grapple and activate transformation.

You can also..uh again foggy memory still waking up..mash Y whenever you do a burst counter, and if the burst counter was successful you'll (temp?) transform and do a yokai grapple counterattack.

The first one is a cool way to get a safe activation and do some extra grapple damage on bosses, and the second one is a good habit to get in to cause free damage.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Oh maybe your right, I had a lot confusion yokai shift automatically grappling zero ki enemies. I am ng++++ and didn’t know this was a thing. The dojo should have a playground missions for you to test stuff. If you can setup a regular grapples do it rather than trying to bait out a burst attack imo.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

this loving game, honestly. I haven't been able to grapple a boss yet so I figured it sounded like the most sure-fire way to do it lol

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Underworld questions: Pumping underworld lapis lazuli into ethereal drop rate first seems smart?

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Calidus posted:

Underworld questions: Pumping underworld lapis lazuli into ethereal drop rate first seems smart?

NONONONO. That gets EXTREMELY expensive (for reference, I'm at 11/20 and leveling to 12 takes 600 lapis). If anything, that will be the absolute last thing you max out, and I have everything else maxed out.

Loot +value modifier is the most important thing, honestly.

Added context:

- The cost of loot +value only goes up by 1 per level from levels 1-50. It's steeper from 51-55 (60/70/80/90/100) then 55-60 (120/140/160/180/200) but the effect of the +value modifier is significant.
- It only costs 300 lapis total to max out the 4 enhanced blessings (20/40/60/80/100). I believe it's the same for salve capacity/efficacy.
- Higher item level isn't cheap, but only needs 5 ranks. It's the only way to get ilvl 200 gear to drop. This is minor, but still gives you a slight edge. Never turf any ilvl 200 ethereals you find!

Drop rate is basically the sink for your lapis when you have nothing else left to do with it.

Navaash fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Sep 3, 2021

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

It sounds like I want 1 early point in +item level so 200 items are in the loot table.

I am at floor 10(ish) I am getting +36 gear. I can go get gear in the low 40s from the regular missions. More ethereal gear so I can get the set bonuses seems like my number one issue.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The droprate bonus isn't really noticeable. As you progress into lower floors, ethereal drops will become more common. How do you progress to lower floors faster? Increase the +value on your gear.

Work on the +value.

Basically:

Navaash posted:

Loot +value modifier is the most important thing, honestly.

Drop rate is basically the sink for your lapis when you have nothing else left to do with it.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

What’s the value of clearing regular missions vs under world?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Calidus posted:

What’s the value of clearing regular missions vs under world?

Regular missions have hair and other unlock stuff

Also they let you make sure a certain enemy is there if you need a certain drop, like from a boss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

this loving game, honestly. I haven't been able to grapple a boss yet so I figured it sounded like the most sure-fire way to do it lol

Yeah there's a couple of finicky things that the game shows you like one grainy screenshot of then never mentions again, but are really helpful to understand.

If something is grapple-able (red reticle i.e. enemy exhausted, getting a backstab etc) you can instead transform and it will auto shift-grapple the enemy and then you'll remain in your shift form.

If you burst counter something and that counter causes the enemy's ki to empty, you can quickly press Y/triangle(?) to do a shift-grapple but then pop back to your human state. Just get into the habit of tapping Y a few times after every successful burst counter, that way you should just get the free grapple anytime it's available.