Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Slider posted:

I picked up this game today and holy cow it's crushing my pc. I have a 1080ti, 8700k, and playing on a 1440p gsync monitor. I'm avging around 60 FPS on high, does this sound normal? The game does look beautiful, at least compared to all the older games I've been playing on my switch.

I updated my video drivers last week. Any obvious settings I should turn down/off that dont impact peformance too much?

Yes its normal. Its processing a huge draw distance and environment. You can play with the features but I get similar performance to you and just accept it. I tried tweaking and had to turn things way down to get only a few more frames.

I think AC:Odyssey may be more CPU bound than most games, due to all the simulation going on and just the scope of the rendered scene. It seems to hit my CPU harder than other games, where a beefy GPU can just do everything.

Although your 8700k is pretty beefy too. Stock clock or OC? Maybe its not as much the CPU as I was thinking. The game just does some pretty wild things with its rendering, its asking a lot.

1440p gsync is definitely the way to go :thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

8700k @5ghz. I lowered some settings and now I'm around 70ish. This is one thing I don't miss about PC games, having to tweak video settings etc.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Zaphod42 posted:

Nah I love to riff on terrible b-movies

I don't know that the movie was terrible because of the acting per se so much as how utterly incoherent the story was. God help the poor non-game fan who tried to watch it, that's for sure. Come to think of it, problem may have been the movie was primarily a modern day story, those always tend to suck in AC...

Eimi posted:

I played Odyssey for the Kassandra Show, starring Kassandra and her guns. Layla's bits really added nothing and took me away from story beats I actually cared about. The narrative would've worked better without Layla. :shrug:

Hmm, given Kassandra was immortal up until she handed her boring little stick to Layla, I wonder if they could actually make a good modern day segment (well, still a flashback but a more recent one) for a change by having us play Kassandra for it.

Started the second episode of the new DLC, seems a little sparser than the last one but still pretty decent. Hades is a nice chill change of pace from his bitch of a wife. Can't yell "see you in Hell" when you kill enemies sadly since... well, y'know. Truth be told it's kind of unclear how we kill people in the afterlife really. They talk like it's a simulation, but have all sorts of actually dead people from the story popping up; if you think too hard it becomes almost as illogical as modern day AC storylines. Still, gameplay is fun, though I find the multiple rifts in an area bits annoying since the groups intermingle so you're fighting a mix of vulnerable and invulnerable enemies at once all the time. Doesn't help they don't seem to drop aggro if you run off and notify the entire area to come join the fight. Probably won't finish soon though since I'm heading out of town Thursday for a bit. I do wonder how your choice in the past episodes work with this one; I had a side mission with Phiobe but I wonder how that gets affected if you bring her back in the last episode with that one quest since I didn't kill Leonidas off for said quest.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Slider posted:

8700k @5ghz. I lowered some settings and now I'm around 70ish. This is one thing I don't miss about PC games, having to tweak video settings etc.

I do generally prefer to tweak so I'm getting ~100-110 fps at least in other games, feels really nice and smooth. But AC isn't a game that requires lightning fast twitch reflexes anyways? Having one game be in the 70s is still pretty great compared to the console experience of being capped at 60 and usually running at 30 or using some wild resolution scaling. :)

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

MadDogMike posted:

Hmm, given Kassandra was immortal up until she handed her boring little stick to Layla, I wonder if they could actually make a good modern day segment (well, still a flashback but a more recent one) for a change by having us play Kassandra for it.

Honestly as bloody hot Kass was in that suit, making her immortal was so stupid and opens up so many questions. They force you to have a kid, why didn't Kass pass the staff onto her kid, since story wise she cares for them? What was Kass doing since the ancient world, why isn't she a force in her own right equal to the secret societies? Why did she need to be immortal, since the ancient aliens clearly know you're using the DNA memory machine given they leave a message for Layla? I mean I'd forgive it if there's just a spin off series of games focused on Kass's Sapphic adventures through time, but yeah.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I saw the movie in theaters and don't remember much about it.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Slider posted:

This video is useful and just generally interesting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chqQanHcvHk

There are a few settings like volumetric clouds that can be safely turned way down.

I still get a really big drop in FPS in cities which is annoying. I think CPU is the bottleneck. I have an i5 7600 which I hoped would hold its own a bit longer since I only got it 18 months ago.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

I would like to confirm something: does the retail box of the Gold Edition for Xbox One come with AssCreed 3 and Liberation Remastered (i.e. are they always included with the season pass code)?

The physical Gold Edition includes the Season Pass, but I'm not sure if that automatically includes the bonus games. The box doesn't mention them but they probably printed it before they finalized the Season Pass contents.

edit: Upon further study I don't see any reason why it wouldn't include the bonus games

Zat fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jun 5, 2019

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Ambient Occlusion was the FPS killer for me (in a way that was surprising in comparison to other games).

Also AC is the only game I've ever used Adaptive Resolution on and honest to god I can't see the difference in quality at all but it immediately snapped up my fps.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Yeah I played fate of Atlantis ep 2 for two hours last night. It's a bit smaller than episode 1 but still that's a pretty insane size given that it's one dlc episode out of three.

I think I might enjoy this one a bit more than the first episode because a lot of it seems to be 'go hunt these people'

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

For anyone playing the DLC, did you have a lot of trouble with Cerberus? It's been a while since I've played, and he's giving me way more trouble than I was expecting

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

For anyone playing the DLC, did you have a lot of trouble with Cerberus? It's been a while since I've played, and he's giving me way more trouble than I was expecting

Main trick I had was staying close to his side/rear and dodging frequently. If you could avoid the flame breath it wasn’t too painful.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin
Finished the 2nd part of Fate of Atlantis today. I cleared everything and did all the missions before starting on the final mission of the DLC.

Overall I enjoyed it and I liked it more than the 1st part.

The rifts were a pain until you get the full set of armor.

To get the full set of armor if you were deciding on focusing solely on that quest you have to do Charon's first mission to get one of the pieces.
I know I spent a bit of time running around looking for the next person until I did that.

With the final boss fight keep moving and have arrows ready.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I accidentally finished the main quest while still having a load of the other content still to do. It sort of feels a bit aimless doing the side quests now. I was thinking of waiting for the steam sale at the end of the month and getting the dlc, does that add some thing?

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
I'm just starting the new DLC, and I have to say, the intro was way better than than the first DLC. I'm getting Javiar Bardem in James Bond vibes from Hades. It's really the first time than any of the voice acting has stuck out to me.

Charon is also a nice little twist on expectations, especially since I've been playing a lot of Super Giant's Hades.

Early Atlantis Part 2 Spoilers:
Oh Christ, I wasn't ready for the Phoebe quest. I played through the entire game in NG+ over the since the drop of the first Atlantis DLC, so her death is still fresh. I had forgotten about it since my initial play through and it hit me hard. Now hitting this DLC and having Kass try to get her to remember after drinking Lethe's water...

LASER BEAM DREAM fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jun 10, 2019

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Ubisoft officially announced that the rumored Story Creator mode is coming to AC Odyssey, along with the long-awaited discovery tour! This looks dope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLJGDiATv_s

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

The ultimate poo poo posting tool, can't wait to see what the dregs of society vomit into the game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Deakul posted:

The ultimate poo poo posting tool, can't wait to see what the dregs of society vomit into the game.

Don't worry, I'll be sure to share my own contributions itt.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Not a word about the new one... Meh.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
I'm kinda glad about that tbh, like I'd rather hear about it closer to release and AFAIK we're a year and change out. The months and months of hype get exhausting.

Agaragon
Nov 16, 2018
The only hope I have for Discovery Mode this time around is that the alternate Ikaros skin is Ikaros on fire. It would both be mythologically appropriate, and one more thing in a video game on fire, which is also good.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Ubisoft officially announced that the rumored Story Creator mode is coming to AC Odyssey, along with the long-awaited discovery tour! This looks dope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLJGDiATv_s

This seems extremely cool

Full tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fAgtApYLbU

The website is up now?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
The second I saw them say you can write almost anything I thought "oh God there's gonna be so much bad sex stuff"

I'm sure there will be filters but if Far Cry Arcade or Hitman's Contracts are any indication theres gonna be one decent mission for every fifty unfinished/unbalanced/no effort ones with no real way to siphon out the garbage but I guess we'll see

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
So I've really been enjoying playing through Fate of Atlantis, I've just finished up episode 2 but it feels like the story side of things is floundering pretty hard.

Spoilers ahead through episode 2 of Atlantis...

1. I don't care about Layla. She seems cool enough but we've spent maybe an hour or two with her prior to all of this poo poo going down (across two games!) and it's just not enough to make me care about her turn to the dark side or whatever is supposed to be happening. The episodic nature really undercuts this with her talking about how she's not like Deimos, when for me she had that freak out about channeling him about two months ago.

2. A little supernatural goes a long way. I really liked Bayek exploring the afterlife and how it informed his character and sense of morality. This time around we know for sure that it's just a simulation and it utterly undercuts any deeper meaning it's supposed to have. With Bayek there was wiggle room as to if he's buying in, Kassandra knows that her experience of Phiobe is all simulation and regardless of how well they nail certain moments (and they REALLY do) it's never going to matter to her the same way. The first time I saw the afterlife stuff in Origins was genuinely super cool and by the time I've hit Hades it just feels worn out.

3. There's nothing they can do about this but spending almost two years straight with a game engine that hasn't changed much just wears you out. I'm so dialed in to the combat at this point that I get very little out of it. It's just a mechanism to get to the next cutscene.

4. Why does any of this matter? Juno got killed off in a comic (which based on the wiki page I'm pretty loving glad I missed) and there's no pressing need for any of this to be happening. They've made oblique references to the need for balance between Order and Chaos but to what end?

I'll happily finish out the DLC and yeah I'll probably be there for the next entry in the series because I've played every mainline entry in this series at this point. That doesn't change the fact that this doesn't feel like the strongest climax to what's been two pretty awesome games.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

The second I saw them say you can write almost anything I thought "oh God there's gonna be so much bad sex stuff"

I'm sure there will be filters but if Far Cry Arcade or Hitman's Contracts are any indication theres gonna be one decent mission for every fifty unfinished/unbalanced/no effort ones with no real way to siphon out the garbage but I guess we'll see

My first thought when they started putting down Myrinne and Nikolaus as NPCs in the editor was "I guess you can gently caress your own mom and dad now." And then I was ashamed of my words and deeds.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Just because something is a simulation doesn't mean it isn't real.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Does anyone else on XBone have trouble accessing the Ubisoft store? Every time a new DLC comes out I have to go to the store to download it and constantly get "connection error" messages. Very frustrating.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

exquisite tea posted:

My first thought when they started putting down Myrinne and Nikolaus as NPCs in the editor was "I guess you can gently caress your own mom and dad now." And then I was ashamed of my words and deeds.

Ashamed? It's a game that features Greek mythology, loving your own mom/dad should have been part of the base game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Finished the second Atlantis episode. Little bit shorter than the first, and I thought better paced overall. I like wandering through the environments with Kassandra but my brain just shuts off whenever they get into whatever's happening in the framing story with Layla. I enjoyed meeting back up with all the people whose lives I totally ruined throughout Odyssey to ruin their afterlives one more time. The questline with Brasidas in particular I thought was really well-done and made me feel conflicted without being too predictable, which usually doesn't happen in Odyssey quests. The boss fights were cool as well. Hades is unsurprisingly not as photogenic as Elysium but it has its moments.

I would also highly recommend doing the One Really, Really Bad Day lost tales quest if you haven't already, it's hilarious. Gonna try my hand in creator mode now and see what I can come up with!

exquisite tea fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Jun 12, 2019

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

10 Beers posted:

Does anyone else on XBone have trouble accessing the Ubisoft store? Every time a new DLC comes out I have to go to the store to download it and constantly get "connection error" messages. Very frustrating.

Yeah, I have the same problem. I usually have to restart my bone to get it to work. (a real restart)

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

exquisite tea posted:

As opposed to killing someone else's mom and loving their dad? Which my misthios is pretty great at, I'll have you know. :v:

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
Well the first story I tried was a bunch of painfully unfunny and typo filled dialogue about loving a cow, so

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Is it easy to share missions with each other like Hitman's custom contracts? Like if goons in this thread want to post theirs.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Modus Pwnens posted:

Well the first story I tried was a bunch of painfully unfunny and typo filled dialogue about loving a cow, so

Hey man at least I'm trying

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Creator mode needs to add generic NPCs or the ability to design your own.

Edit: also I swear you can find Persian ships, but they're not a faction that you can select in the Creator.

Whorelord fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jun 13, 2019

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Well, this is just utterly bizarre. I picked up the PC version on the Green Man Gaming sale, and every time I boot it up the frame rate barely manages to hit 50 regardless of my resolution or settings. My new PC has an i7-9700k at stock clocks (I'm afraid of CPU overclocking because I have no idea what I'm doing) and an RTX 2060 which should at the very least hit a 1080p60 lock easily, so I found this really weird and figured it had to be a bug. After a bunch of tweaking various options and swearing at my screen, I discovered that when I switch resolutions (e.g. from 1440p to 1080p and back to 1440p) and return to gameplay, I get a completely locked 1440p60 at mostly high settings.

This happens every single time I start the game. Even when I switched it to 4K out of curiosity (the 2060 isn't ideal for 4K60 so I tend to stick with 1440p), it almost managed to hit 60 fps without any adjustments to the settings! At least I CAN get the game to run properly and it looks and plays great, but I can't even begin to figure out what is going on here. :wtc:

Ah, I've missed PC gaming.

edit: I turned HDR off and now the game actually runs at 60 fps without me having to gently caress around with the resolution settings. I'm still very confused.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jun 15, 2019

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Does anyone have any tips for end-ish game warrior builds? I have most sets since I'm in new game plus, and while my multiple Assassin sets and Marksman set are fun, I never end up using my Warrior build, since it just feel like plinking away at stuff. Ares madness also turned any difficult fight into switching to the Assassin set that extends it by 10 seconds then murdering anything in your path, bosses included. At worst, I have to dodge for a minute while it rebuilds, but all of my sets have -25% cool-down, among other enhancements...

I think a major QoL change to fix this would be ability assignments that attach to the build you're on.

LASER BEAM DREAM fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jun 16, 2019

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

The story creator mode seems like a really cool thing - I wonder why they didn't make a bigger deal out of it. I haven't seen anywhere even mention it was added outside of the uplay screen and here.

Hopefully it's something they keep in future installments because it seems like it'd really extend the life of the game once people get comfortable with using it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Creator mode is cool but very limited right now. You can't, for example, generate a quest to destroy boats, animals, or just a particular type of NPC. You can't change an encampment that was occupied by say, Cultists in the main campaign to now have Spartans, so if you want Cultists to be in your quest then you have to start one near a prefab location. Any NPC in your quest has to already be placed and you cannot change their faction or invincibility status. You also cannot perform algorithmic functions to variables that would allow you to check if some precondition had been satisfied over a series of quests. It's awesome that something like this exists but Ubisoft needs to add a bit more functionality before it becomes something more than a dialogue simulator + XP farm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Does anyone have any tips for end-ish game warrior builds? I have most sets since I'm in new game plus, and while my multiple Assassin sets and Marksman set are fun, I never end up using my Warrior build, since it just feel like plinking away at stuff. Ares madness also turned any difficult fight into switching to the Assassin set that extends it by 10 seconds then murdering anything in your path, bosses included. At worst, I have to dodge for a minute while it rebuilds, but all of my sets have -25% cool-down, among other enhancements...

I think a major QoL change to fix this would be ability assignments that attach to the build you're on.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCV9SNCHUC3lTxUY-cAVZ6rA This guy puts together the best builds. He has some warrior builds that do huge damage. They’re extremely synergistic with regards to gear and mastery points, so it can take hours reloading shops to get the right gear. But I’m using what he calls his Viking build, and I’m 90 percent invincible on Nightmare and I mow down enemies.