Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I don't think there's anything bad between any of the cast members. It's just that Rifftrax is a pretty major business at this point, as big or bigger in nerd circles today as MST3K was back in the 90s. Asking Mike, Bill, and Kevin back to restart their old TV show would mean their own business being put on hiatus or outright ending.

Rifftrax has a pretty big advantage over the other riffers anyway: they only produce and sell commentary tracks, not full copies of the film with their commentary over it, so they can legally make and sell riffs on any film in existence no matter its prominence. The low budget of MST3K is what restricted it to the shittiest of lovely B-movies and public domain shorts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

chitoryu12 posted:

I don't think there's anything bad between any of the cast members. It's just that Rifftrax is a pretty major business at this point, as big or bigger in nerd circles today as MST3K was back in the 90s. Asking Mike, Bill, and Kevin back to restart their old TV show would mean their own business being put on hiatus or outright ending.

Rifftrax has a pretty big advantage over the other riffers anyway: they only produce and sell commentary tracks, not full copies of the film with their commentary over it, so they can legally make and sell riffs on any film in existence no matter its prominence. The low budget of MST3K is what restricted it to the shittiest of lovely B-movies and public domain shorts.

Comedy Central and then Sci Fi channel actually pretty good licensing arrangements, and many of the movies they covered, while not that great, had been major motion pictures, some even won movie awards, or had been very popular and expensive tv shows in their day. Really the time when they were restricted to the cheapest movies was the season on KTMA, a failing UHF independent channel in Minneapolis.

Where low budget really came in was for the early VHS and DVD releases of episodes, where for the longest time Rhino and Shout could only afford the cheapest movies. They've slowly gone higher range and worn down more picky rights holders now, to the point that 142 of 176 cable episodes have been released on DVD.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Nintendo Kid posted:

Absolutely nobody who was there when the show first started, or even when it was first on cable, was still there by the end, save Jim Mallon who was the pretty much never on screen producer guy and like maybe one other behind the scenes dude.

Kevin Murphy too iirc

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

ayn rand hand job posted:

Kevin Murphy too iirc

Murphy was the second Servo.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

He was originally the camera operator in the first season.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

A MST3K backer posted:

I and my friends, fellow supporters over at another successful Kickstarter-originated project, Star Citizen, are circulating your URL there, too.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Somehow I think all new episodes of the show will air before Star Citizen is out.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

If you're wondering what the stretch goals are
And other campaign facts
Repeat to yourself "It's Kickstarter,
I should really just relax."

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Nintendo Kid posted:

Crow had two different actors, Servo had two actors with one of them changing the voice while he did it, Gypsy has been done by like 4 or 5 different people. It's hardly unheard of in MST3K!

I don't mind them changing voices again, my problem was that the two voices in the pitch video sounded crappy. The Crow imitation was passable, but the Servo one sucked pretty bad.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

If you're wondering what the stretch goals are
And other campaign facts
Repeat to yourself "It's Kickstarter,
I should really just relax."

la la la

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Let's fund some crappy movies
The worst we can find (la la la)
We'll have to pay to make them all
And not get rewards in time

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Makes sense, they're both cults.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

chitoryu12 posted:

Murphy was the second Servo.

Yeah but he started doing it in Season 2, that's a pretty long time.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The MST3K kickstarter is indirectly starting to bug me. It's all because of a certain type of comment I've come across in different forums. It amounts to this: 'I'm guessing they can make a show for cheaper because it doesn't seem like it should cost more than 50k to make an episode.'

Those people know nothing about making a TV show. I know barely a little bit more than them and that little bit more is this. A whole lot of poo poo goes into making a TV show, everything has to be paid for, and everyone involved has to get paid. 50k probably wouldn't even cover salaries.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

RandomPauI posted:

The MST3K kickstarter is indirectly starting to bug me. It's all because of a certain type of comment I've come across in different forums. It amounts to this: 'I'm guessing they can make a show for cheaper because it doesn't seem like it should cost more than 50k to make an episode.'

Those people know nothing about making a TV show. I know barely a little bit more than them and that little bit more is this. A whole lot of poo poo goes into making a TV show, everything has to be paid for, and everyone involved has to get paid. 50k probably wouldn't even cover salaries.

They're probably expecting it to be run out of someone's basement like an LP or something.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Nintendo Kid posted:

Comedy Central and then Sci Fi channel actually pretty good licensing arrangements, and many of the movies they covered, while not that great, had been major motion pictures, some even won movie awards, or had been very popular and expensive tv shows in their day. Really the time when they were restricted to the cheapest movies was the season on KTMA, a failing UHF independent channel in Minneapolis.

Where low budget really came in was for the early VHS and DVD releases of episodes, where for the longest time Rhino and Shout could only afford the cheapest movies. They've slowly gone higher range and worn down more picky rights holders now, to the point that 142 of 176 cable episodes have been released on DVD.

Yeah, they played Marooned, which won an Oscar in 1970 for visual effects and yet somehow fell into public domain sometime in the 1980s-1990s and was released under the title Space Travelers. And of course, you had stuff like classic scifi like It Conquered The World and The Brain That Wouldn't Die, all of which is a far cry from the made-for-TV or localized foreign films.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

RandomPauI posted:

Just show them this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MszYiKczYls

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Nemo2342 posted:

I don't mind them changing voices again, my problem was that the two voices in the pitch video sounded crappy. The Crow imitation was passable, but the Servo one sucked pretty bad.

Have you perhaps considered sending them a huge banner that reads "I HATE TOM SERVO'S NEW VOICE"?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Banners are expensive. We need to start a Kickstarter to fund our Kickstarter heckle.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
If you're an awful kickstarter thread regular checkout this guy. I find his stuff pretty funny and on point, and way better than the retsepurae kickstarter stuff.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

unpacked robinhood posted:

If you're an awful kickstarter thread regular checkout this guy. I find his stuff pretty funny and on point, and way better than the retsepurae kickstarter stuff.

You should maybe link directly to his Kickstarter Crap playlist because the video that came up on his main channel was pretty annoying

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

When does he get to the funny part instead of the "lol I'm so wacky and I'm gonna talk in a weird way and ramble a lot" part?

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Cheez posted:

When does he get to the funny part instead of the "lol I'm so wacky and I'm gonna talk in a weird way and ramble a lot" part?

I don't know. I think he's pretty good honestly. Watch his Skarp Razor video maybe ? that's how I discovered him. It's ok if you find him unfunny.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The first video to catch my eye is one where he describes himself as drinking a "THICK JAP DRINK".

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyiDjR2Ayf4

I had never heard of the guy but I checked out some of the Kickstarter videos and the ones where he makes fun of super obvious liars/scammers are pretty funny. I think this is a good one to start on.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

The first video to catch my eye is one where he describes himself as drinking a "THICK JAP DRINK".

Pretty good username imo

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

No.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I will say this for him, he's tracked down some absolutely amazing KS projects like PATENT PENDING The Bubble Hat PATENT PENDING (a new type of gridiron helmet which protects against brain injuries) which I wouldn't have seen otherwise.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I hadn't heard of the shower apron either (prevents your hair from getting into your rear end in a top hat when you shower)

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

CJacobs posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyiDjR2Ayf4

I had never heard of the guy but I checked out some of the Kickstarter videos and the ones where he makes fun of super obvious liars/scammers are pretty funny. I think this is a good one to start on.

The Dayron one is the best. It's not all that "wacky" -- but still funny -- and the actual Kickstarter is completely loving insane.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfoQV41fd74

Here's another good one.

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/insomniaitalia/sectors-game-by-insomnia-italia?ref=category_newest

The Game Mode & Features section is pretty interesting...

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
I want to train a markov chain generator with all the videogame Kickstarter pitches and see if it can generate anything good.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Germstore posted:

I want to train a markov chain generator with all the videogame Kickstarter pitches and see if it can generate anything good.

Couldn't be any worse than most of the pitches.

Gotta admit the PEGI 18 statement at the start of the reveal video tickled me

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

He is bad and you are bad for liking him.

Though all of the Kickstarters he mocks are even more bad, at least.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

He is bad and you are bad for liking him.

Though all of the Kickstarters he mocks are even more bad, at least.

I like him, he's like a mild man's daniel tosh except he doesn't make vile rape jokes because ha ha rape is funny right?

edit: Dude tries way too hard to emulate Tosh's comedy though, which is not necessarily a point in his favor because Tosh is not funny.

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

Germstore posted:

i coulda sworn someone did this and it gave us gems like "dark souls, but more like dark souls and also a roguelike".

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

jpmeyer posted:

"dark souls, but more like dark souls and also a roguelike".

Would definitely play.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
This got suspended in record time and it's definitely loving braindead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Noyemi K posted:

This got suspended in record time and it's definitely loving braindead.

He must also drive like a moron because 10L/100km with a C2 is crap mileage.