Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

wolrah posted:

My headphones with the failing band finally gave out enough that I had to stop using them, so I grabbed my old Logitech G930s and after only an hour I'm reminded of how nice it is to be able to wander away from my desk while still listening to whatever I'm watching on Youtube or keeping up with a conference call.

Is there a such thing as a wireless headphone amp that uses a USB dongle rather than Bluetooth? I'd love to be able to have a normal wired set of headphones that I could plug in to a box that normally lives on my desk connected to power but can be unplugged and pocketed when I go grab a snack or whatever.

I can find plenty of Bluetooth offerings, but I have never had a good experience with Bluetooth latency while gaming and have seen nothing to make me believe that's changed yet. The new BTLE Audio profile supposedly improves this, but as far as I can tell it's not yet possible to actually buy a product supporting it.

As far as I can tell the non-Bluetooth wireless headphone market is basically gamer stuff and then a big gap of nothing until you hit production-grade gear with matching price tags.

There is, but it does get pricey and dongley (lol).

My couch HTPC setup is a Fiio BTA30, paired with a Fiio BTR5. It's still Bluetooth but both can be paired via AptX-LL. Can be plugged in via USB or through optical.

For a more all in one solution, there's the Sennheiser Flex 5000. Got one for my dad for TV use and tested it quite a bit and it's actually quite good. Basically an RF receiver you can plug headphones to. Not USB though, only RCA or Optical In.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Constellation I posted:

My couch HTPC setup is a Fiio BTA30, paired with a Fiio BTR5. It's still Bluetooth but both can be paired via AptX-LL. Can be plugged in via USB or through optical.
Is this really as low-lag as a proprietary RF setup? I haven't actually used AptX-LL yet myself but my understanding was that the latency was a ton better than normal Bluetooth but still very noticeable if you looked for it.

quote:

For a more all in one solution, there's the Sennheiser Flex 5000. Got one for my dad for TV use and tested it quite a bit and it's actually quite good. Basically an RF receiver you can plug headphones to. Not USB though, only RCA or Optical In.
This is definitely the closest thing to my ideal imaginary device that I've seen so far. My PC has optical out and obviously wouldn't be rocket surgery to get RCA from either, so while USB would be nicer in a few ways I can certainly do without it. Thanks for the suggestion.

edit: holy poo poo it supports multiple receivers paired to a single base and easy switching of that pairing between bases, this is exactly what I wanted for my TVs!

wolrah fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Feb 24, 2022

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
the headband on my Focal Elex's just did the thing all of them do and broke. has anyone navigated Focal's warranty department before? i don't have a local dealer and their website seems purposefully unhelpful.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

TenementFunster posted:

the headband on my Focal Elex's just did the thing all of them do and broke. has anyone navigated Focal's warranty department before? i don't have a local dealer and their website seems purposefully unhelpful.

I'm doing some googling on this and it's kind of insane at that price point. My Elegias feel super solid but I will be extremely mad if this happens. I'd guess their service is at least decent, they still stock parts for 15 year old speakers.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

qirex posted:

I'm doing some googling on this and it's kind of insane at that price point. My Elegias feel super solid but I will be extremely mad if this happens. I'd guess their service is at least decent, they still stock parts for 15 year old speakers.
yes i’m mildly perturbed that an ridiculously expensive brand of headphone has such a well-documented build quality issue and no obvious warranty contact

fukkn france. wish these didn’t sound so good!

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Dessel posted:

I've got the DT 770 Pros and DT 990 Pros and I'll admit the DT990s treble is on the tinny side. Think, of, uh a sword clashing piercing your ears.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

The 770s have spicy treble, the 990s have hell on earth satan stabbing your brain with a rusty fork treble. I salute the people who can enjoy those headphones, I cannot.

Well this sure makes the current Woot deal on 990s sound less appealing. Thanks for saving me $130, goons. :v:

immelman
Oct 6, 2014

sarcastx posted:

I'm looking to pick up a pair of new nice-ish headphones to replace a set left behind with my mum when I left Australia.
Those were Sennheiser HD485s - probably low-end by the standards of this crew but I quite liked them.

Budget - I don't really have a budget in mind - preferably this side of $300
Source - I have a Fiio BTR5 which will be the connection method for almost anything I'd want to use with the device... but I would also like to plug the headphones into my PS5 controller on occasion.
Isolation Requirements - Nope, and in fact I quite liked my open-back HD485s.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Circumaural. I got plenty of buds if I need something discrete.
Preferred Tonal Balance - I like a fairly balanced sound, but my music taste is fairly mids-focused. I also like well defined treble.
Past Headphones - I'm a Sennheiser whore. HD485s and PX100s. Tried a pair of Status Audio OB-1's; they sounded great (for the price) but were flimsy as gently caress. Right now I'm using buds predominantly (Sony WF-1000XM3).
Preferred Music - Weird psychedelic French poo poo at the moment, but generally mellow stuff (Tame Impala/Pond, The Avalanches, Daft Punk, Beck) with odd stints into Aussie electro

If you like Sennheiser, how about moving up that ladder? I have the HD599 ($150 on Amazon) and recently bought the Drop hd6xx for $179 (though it looks they are out of stock there and the price has gone up). Been really happy with the sound off both of them and they are both very comfortable. The 6xx sounds better and I'll have to look for an amp soon which is supposed to improve this further.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

sarcastx posted:

I'm looking to pick up a pair of new nice-ish headphones to replace a set left behind with my mum when I left Australia.
Those were Sennheiser HD485s - probably low-end by the standards of this crew but I quite liked them.

Budget - I don't really have a budget in mind - preferably this side of $300
Source - I have a Fiio BTR5 which will be the connection method for almost anything I'd want to use with the device... but I would also like to plug the headphones into my PS5 controller on occasion.
Isolation Requirements - Nope, and in fact I quite liked my open-back HD485s.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Circumaural. I got plenty of buds if I need something discrete.
Preferred Tonal Balance - I like a fairly balanced sound, but my music taste is fairly mids-focused. I also like well defined treble.
Past Headphones - I'm a Sennheiser whore. HD485s and PX100s. Tried a pair of Status Audio OB-1's; they sounded great (for the price) but were flimsy as gently caress. Right now I'm using buds predominantly (Sony WF-1000XM3).
Preferred Music - Weird psychedelic French poo poo at the moment, but generally mellow stuff (Tame Impala/Pond, The Avalanches, Daft Punk, Beck) with odd stints into Aussie electro

Sennheiser 560S. Take this recommendation on faith.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Update on my arias.

I fixed them by sucking air out of the driver as per a reddit post, even without taking the filter out. (the arias come with a tool and replacement filters)

It worked. Remains to be seen whether it's a temporary fix or not.

I was looking to buy the Etymotic ER2XR eventually but they're nowhere to be found in stock. A local retailer is offering them for 159€ "with a 2 week delivery" but I seriously doubt they'd get them in stock even after 2+ weeks.

The ER2SE is available on mass drop and even after VAT+customs+delivery they would probably total 92.90€ vs the 159€. Is the SE EQ'able close to the 2XRs? I'm worried I'd be buying another set of MA750is with more isolation, which admittedly are comfortable but the lower freaquencies are anemic.

Looks like the etymotic's EX2RX low frequency response is tiny higher crossing over at 50 hz than the MA750 so that's probably a no-go for the etymotics overall. Comparing the finalaudio e4000/arias their frequency response seems close, arias winning it out in the sub bass which matches my subjective experience.

Anything else I should be aware with a similar freaquency response but with great isolation/good comfort/possibly small enough to wear under NC headphones?

Dessel fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Feb 25, 2022

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

wolrah posted:

Is this really as low-lag as a proprietary RF setup? I haven't actually used AptX-LL yet myself but my understanding was that the latency was a ton better than normal Bluetooth but still very noticeable if you looked for it.

Yes. You just have to make sure everything in the chain is using AptX-LL. The BTA30 allows you to specify which codec to use. I even did a crude test of this with one of my old wireless gaming headsets. (Steelseries Siberia 800) It has a base station with an optical out. Played the same test file, then had a the wireless headset on one ear then the BTR5 + headphones on the other and there's no perceptible difference in latency. I game with it just fine too.

If you check most latency benchmarks online for gaming headsets, they're about 30 to 40 ms which is about what AptX-LL advertises.

Now the problem with AptX-LL is that it's been phased out by Qualcomm and replaced by AptX Adaptive which has a higher latency (around 10 to 40ms more apparently)

Anyway, hopefully my setup doesn't crap out anytime soon since the tech is pretty much dead. Batteries will definitely be a problem in the future though. Low latency wireless is just in a weird spot because it's not needed for most wireless users on phones since the phone/apps already compensate for it. Whereas in gaming, it's all via proprietary headsets and there's no real push there for more audiophile stuff or dongles to use your own headphones.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

First week with these AirPods and goodness me, they’re a fun pair of cans. Sold my 1540s and think I’ll get some senn HD800S’ to replace them eventually. The case is very stupid though.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

If anyone here has ordered direct from Hifiman, about how long did it take you to receive your order? The "track your order" option on their website just says "????".

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Hifman direct no, I get their stuff from a local supplier. I have bought IEMs from Linsoul a few times. The tracking from China may be janky because your parcel is moving through a bunch of different carriers.

Not much you can really do about it. If you don't have good tracking information (or delivery) within a couple weeks email them and ask for clarification citing your order number. Expect all delivery dates to be off by a couple weeks thanks to modern day shipping shenanigans. Sometimes you get lucky and things actually arrive on time but that's rare now.

To be honest I get worse shipping and tracking on shipments from the USA than China these days. Not a good sign.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Departed USPS Regional Facility
October 12, 2021 at 6:15 am

CHICAGO IL INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER

Yeah I'm pretty sure this is never turning up in the mail. Who knows anymore though.

Buy local if you can folks. It's about as reliable as you can get these days.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

DancingShade posted:

Hifman direct no, I get their stuff from a local supplier. I have bought IEMs from Linsoul a few times. The tracking from China may be janky because your parcel is moving through a bunch of different carriers.

Not much you can really do about it. If you don't have good tracking information (or delivery) within a couple weeks email them and ask for clarification citing your order number. Expect all delivery dates to be off by a couple weeks thanks to modern day shipping shenanigans. Sometimes you get lucky and things actually arrive on time but that's rare now.

To be honest I get worse shipping and tracking on shipments from the USA than China these days. Not a good sign.

Of course they just updated my order with a FedEx tracking number and a delivery date of next week. I got a little antsy because it had been 4-5 days.

Supposedly they'll arrive the same day as my BL03s.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Devorum posted:

Of course they just updated my order with a FedEx tracking number and a delivery date of next week. I got a little antsy because it had been 4-5 days.

Supposedly they'll arrive the same day as my BL03s.

Any news is good news. Hope you get your stuff okay and it's to your liking.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

The headphones jack on my desktop finally died out. What are my options to connect my IEMs/headphones to PC? I assume there's a plug-via-USB option right?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Get an Apple USB-C dongle and use that.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
So after dipping into higher tier audio over the last couple of years, here are a couple of things I've bought and what I make of them, if anyone's interested.

Qudelix 5K Bluetooth DAC / AMP

Purchase Regret-O-Meter 1/10

Extremely useful little gadget which sounds pretty good. Battery life is crap but for commuting it's fine. Power is pretty decent and I think the overall design is solid, even if the buttons are very easily clicked. The Qudelix app is exemplary with an absolute ton of options to play with.

Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro Headphones (80 ohm)

Purchase Regret-O-Meter 2/10

Solid all-rounder headphones with pretty wide sound. Very comfortable, built like a tank, very good for editing which is what I do for a living. Not my first choice for music but absolutely for gaming. Spend most of their time in the office.

Fiio M17 DAP

Purchase Regret-O-Meter 5/10

Not gonna lie, this was an absolute overkill purchase as I wanted a portable DAC / Amp setup that was also a DAP. This thing is loving huge and reminds me a bit of the OG Gameboy. Sound is incredible and it's nice to have my favourite albums all neatly in FLAC format in one place that's not my phone. Can probably jumpstart a tank with the power it can kick out. Expensive.

AKG 371 Headphones

Purchase Regret-O-Meter 2/10

Solid pair of closed-back headphones, got them at a discount. Pretty tight grip on my head, not as comfortable as my DT 770's. Sound is slammy and tight, feels very clean and well tuned. Soundstage isn't as wide as I would've liked but that's not a massive problem for me. Have ordered some thicker pads for comfort as my ears are touching the drivers.

Blessing 2: Dusk IEMs

Purchase Regret-O-Meter 0/10

Without a doubt the biggest audio upgrade I've made. Absolutely fantastic sound on these, feels like I'm hearing lots of details in tracks that I'd previously never heard before. Chunky ol' beasts that might not fit everyone's ears, so getting the right fitting tips seems like t's a big deal. Listening to the Fury Road OST and Loveless on these through the M17 is one of the best experiences I've had musically in a long time.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

frytechnician posted:

Qudelix 5K Bluetooth DAC / AMP

Purchase Regret-O-Meter 1/10

Extremely useful little gadget which sounds pretty good. Battery life is crap but for commuting it's fine. Power is pretty decent and I think the overall design is solid, even if the buttons are very easily clicked. The Qudelix app is exemplary with an absolute ton of options to play with.
I've been using mine mostly wired at my desk because *gestures vaguely at the whole world* and it's been good for that. If I was shopping now I'd probably get the ifi goBlu or new Fiio BTR5 but I wanted to take a chance on a smaller company and I like the built in clip. The buttons are a bad design but you can even turn them off in the app, which is amazingly full featured. If they make a follow up with a volume wheel or just less stupid buttons I'd consider it.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
A friend got the Goblu and said it has a lot of hiss and ended up sending it back. Dunno.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

DancingShade posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure this is never turning up in the mail. Who knows anymore though.

Buy local if you can folks. It's about as reliable as you can get these days.

Chicago customs is where international packages go to die.

Hunt around on reddit, I feel like someone on there found a phone number for them and were able to at least get someone to start an incident report and get their package moving, I don't remember what the context was though, maybe pens or something?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
heard back from Focal after a day or so and got an RMA number. i'm buttmad that i have to pay shipping to get warranty work because a plastic part of my Very Expensive headphones broke but whatever.

somebody please put focal drivers in a sennheiser headset thanks!!! not only would they be lighter but they wouldn't break as much!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

RichterIX posted:

Chicago customs is where international packages go to die.

Hunt around on reddit, I feel like someone on there found a phone number for them and were able to at least get someone to start an incident report and get their package moving, I don't remember what the context was though, maybe pens or something?

It was only a headphone cable and I long ago sourced a locally made substitute. Not worth the effort to chase up.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
My Tripowin HBB Olina set came in last week, but due to work and travel I haven't gotten them out until last night, and these are seriously good. Tuning really is great for the type of stuff I listen to (all kinds of rock and occasionally some jazz), everything sounds clean and natural, the soundstage and imaging is ridiculous for the price. Upper mids are a tad bit spicy but not shouty, and I love my midrange so that's all fine and good for me. And the accessories/packaging are really well done for a $100 set too, the case is super nice. There certainly are sonic similarities to the Tanchjim Oxygen in a lot of ways, and the Oxygen rules so there you go.

I paid for the modular cable add on and it's really nice too, it's sold as the Tripowin Noire for $40. Recommended at that price if a modular 4.4/3.5/2.5 cable could provide some utility to someone's audio setup. It's softer and more comfortable than the Tripowin Altea I got for my Timeless at the same price.

redeyes I haven't tried your double damper trick yet but I will certainly give it a shot at some point, I'm just really digging them in stock form right now.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I have to stop using my IEMs because they keep shocking me, is that a problem with the IEMs or the Cable? Could it be the amp?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Boba Pearl posted:

I have to stop using my IEMs because they keep shocking me, is that a problem with the IEMs or the Cable? Could it be the amp?

If you're not dead yet it's probably static electricity. Sneakers, carpet, etc.

You can alleviate it by using IEMs with a resin housing rather than metal.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Boba Pearl posted:

Usually a problem with the air humidity.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Alright for sure, I've had these Tanchjim Hana's for 3 months, and I'm starting to hate fiddling with my ears comfortably, I've bought all these tips and what not, and it's just not useful. I bought the AKG702s thinking that the leakage couldn't be that bad on closed headphones, but while I loved the sound, they were completely unusable around my family. I want something that sounds like the AKG702s but has a closed back, around that same price point, are there any recommendations?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Boba Pearl posted:

I bought the AKG702s thinking that the leakage couldn't be that bad on closed headphones, but while I loved the sound, they were completely unusable around my family.

are you like listening to sex noises at a medically concerning volume or something

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Ok Comboomer posted:

are you like listening to sex noises at a medically concerning volume or something

Not at all, but there was constant bitching and regardless of the validity of their complaints, it was easier to just return the open backs and get something else.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Check out reviews of the AKG K371, sounds like that might be what you're looking for. I don't own it, but I've been considering buying a set lately because I want a closed back set (I'm worried they won't be comfortable to me, but I'm also insanely picky because I have a giant head).

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Boba Pearl posted:

Not at all, but there was constant bitching and regardless of the validity of their complaints, it was easier to just return the open backs and get something else.

wait, I thought you said the 702s were closed back.

does 10sec of research huh.

I don’t know how similar AKG’s closed-back cans sound to their open models but I assume that they’re all roughly tuned with the same “house sound” in mind. Maybe start with their price/tier-similar closed reference/monitor?

My personal experience with AKG phones begins and ends with my currently-in-storage Q701, which I intentionally purchased a decade ago to be as different from my AT M50 as possible

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Ok Comboomer posted:

I don’t know how similar AKG’s closed-back cans sound to their open models but I assume that they’re all roughly tuned with the same “house sound” in mind. Maybe start with their price/tier-similar closed reference/monitor?

Crinacle's graphs for the K702s vs K371s are as you'd expect, roughly similar but the 371s have a bit more bass because closed back so yeah if you like the K702 you'd probably like the K371, and those are pretty well regarded in general. Though there's also the cheaper K361 which everyone was hyping over recently which seem to be very similar too from a tuning standpoint. Shockingly the Harman company tunes to the Harman target.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

njsykora posted:

Crinacle's graphs for the K702s vs K371s are as you'd expect, roughly similar but the 371s have a bit more bass because closed back so yeah if you like the K702 you'd probably like the K371, and those are pretty well regarded in general. Though there's also the cheaper K361 which everyone was hyping over recently which seem to be very similar too from a tuning standpoint. Shockingly the Harman company tunes to the Harman target.

Zeos seems to think the 361 is the better buy, but it’s been so long since I saw that review that I can’t remember why

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

From what I remember of the reviews I read it was largely a price/performance thing, like the 371 isn't better enough to justify being about £40 more expensive in the UK.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I picked up a pair of AKG 371s from Guitar Center, and yeah it rules I also like the little extra bass I get.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
You won't get the AKG 70X sound in a closed back. Can get plenty of good sounding closed backs though.

IDK. Pick anything in your price range with a sound signature to your liking that will fit your ears comfortably.

You now have to blind buy based on what people are telling you on faith or pick something based on personal research.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Wildcard suggestion: Yamaha HPH MT5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

So this is fun, Crinacle is formally disassociating himself from the KZ CRN after it came out they were functionally not using the non-dynamic drivers in them while still marketing it as a tribrid. Kinda scummy.
https://twitter.com/crinacle/status/1500842570485665793?s=21