Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

TenementFunster posted:

what is that science fair project

10mm CNT driver off ali express. Add in one Mele shell. Tune and tune a lot more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I had some LINSOUL TIN Audio T2's that lasted about 2 years. Had to buy a replacement cable and now one side is just failing entirely. Any suggestions for an upgrade/improvement in terms of build quality and comfort?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

You could stick with Tin and just get another pair of T2's, the T2 Plus or the recent T3 Plus which seems extremely well liked. You could also look at the Moondrop SSP/SSRs, I find them a bit more comfortable than the T2's and equal in sound. The only difference between the P and R is the P has a bass boost.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Amazon has the T3 Plus with extra ear tips for $10 off so I went with those, added the 3 year warranty this time though. Hopefully the warranty stuff on there isn't a scam/hassle but I figure if it's Amazon offering it even if it's not through them it must be legit.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

That's not any kind of guarantee, Amazon will sell whatever they're given with no checks as to whether it's real or fake. Check if the seller is a known importer like Linsoul and if you don't recognise it, look them up. There are a lot of fake products and scams on Amazon.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Feb 20, 2022

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

njsykora posted:

That's not any kind of guarantee, Amazon will sell whatever they're given with no checks as to whether it's real or fake. Check if the seller is a known importer like Linsoul and if you don't recognise it, look them up. There are a lot of fake products and scams on Amazon.

Even this isn’t enough to guarantee you don’t get a counterfeit because (for anything that’s shipped by Amazon) Amazon just chucks all the inventory for any given product listing in the same bin, no matter what seller it comes from.

Don’t buy from Amazon if you can avoid it, and I say that as someone who buys too much poo poo from Amazon.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

If you want to be absolutely sure, buy from Linsoul or another importer's site directly, or just buy from Tin directly. They have an official AliExpress store (all the big chifi companies do) and their own website store.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Hey guys,

Are there any bluetooth headphone equivalent to the beloved BLON BL03's? As in, something that is surprisingly cheap and awesome for the money? Something with an incredible price to quality ratio.

My headphones have finally gone to the equalizer above, but I didn't really use them much. However, I do need a replacement pair: bluetooth, with a detachable wire for plugging into a headphone jack if needed, perhaps on the bassy side and good at blocking outside noise. I mostly listen to metal music. Chi-fi or 'proper' brand doesn't matter. Hopefully something even under $50 but can stretch a bit for something special. Cheers!

I've been looking at the August EP650 - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00FZLV...366&sr=8-2&th=1 Does anyone know about these?

henpod fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Feb 21, 2022

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

If you want an optional cable you're looking at over-ear stuff exclusively, something like the Anker Soundcore Life Q20 (or Q30s for a bit more or if you find them on sale) since their stuff is notoriously bassy. Or you could just get a new pair of BL03s and a wireless adapter for them.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice

njsykora posted:

If you want an optional cable you're looking at over-ear stuff exclusively, something like the Anker Soundcore Life Q20 (or Q30s for a bit more or if you find them on sale) since their stuff is notoriously bassy. Or you could just get a new pair of BL03s and a wireless adapter for them.

Thanks. The q30's look like a pretty good deal, although slightly on the pricey side of my budget (I know they are cheap anyway). It's kinda stupid, but I have a small head and these things look like they are pretty bulky so I will probably look like a jet pilot or something. These are definitely going on my consideration pile. Any other hidden gems out there?

henpod fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Feb 21, 2022

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Actually, screw it - these are getting very favorable reviews all round. Might as well grab these! Thank you :).

henpod fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Feb 21, 2022

DrOnline
Oct 21, 2007
Hey y'all, looking for a little advice here. I'm looking for a new set of Bluetooth over ears. I mainly use them for listening to music- synthy stuff like Chvrches and St. Vincent, and gaming (have a standalone mic, so no need to worry about that. I'm primarily looking at the Sony 1000xm4's and the Sennheiser momentum 3s. Anybody think one is better than the other, or is there something else in the 3-400 range that I'm missing? Thanks!

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

DrOnline posted:

Hey y'all, looking for a little advice here. I'm looking for a new set of Bluetooth over ears. I mainly use them for listening to music- synthy stuff like Chvrches and St. Vincent, and gaming (have a standalone mic, so no need to worry about that. I'm primarily looking at the Sony 1000xm4's and the Sennheiser momentum 3s. Anybody think one is better than the other, or is there something else in the 3-400 range that I'm missing? Thanks!

I have a pair of Bowers and Wilkins PX's (not 7s or 9s - just PX) which should be around that much if not less and they were my daily drivers for around 2-3 years or so. Apart from an above average clamping force, I think they're a pretty excellent pair of headphones and the noise cancelling is fantastic. Only stopped using them because I got into more niche iems and headphones which is proving.... expensive. But good! Really good!

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

I'm considering getting a pair of Sundara's as my first open-back headphones. Will I need an amp to push them? Mostly listening via PC (New motherboard says it has isolated audio components and a dedicated headphone amp, but I haven't really gotten to test it out)/Laptop/Phone. If so, is the FiiO Q3 (or BTR5) a good choice?

I also ordered a pair of BL03's because apparently I can't stop spending money on headphones.

Devorum fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Feb 22, 2022

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I may have finally lost my trusty Plantronics BackBeats for good. Powerbeats Pro or AirPods Pro?

On the one hand, I’ll probably be flying in the next couple of months, and could definitely benefit from ANC in that scenario.

On the other hand, I don’t trust hookless earbuds for working out, so regardless I’ll probably end up with something tough that has hooks or a neckband or cable or whatever anyway.

Powerbeats Pro are like $179 right now while AirPods Pro are 249.

Will PowerBeats Pro work well enough on a flight to save the money, or should I spring for the AirPods? Will the AirPods be fine for working out? (I doubt it)

They’ve been talking about replacing both of these models for a while now (esp the AirPods), so tossing money at either right now isn’t my favorite move. But I need headphones.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

I may have finally lost my trusty Plantronics BackBeats for good. Powerbeats Pro or AirPods Pro?

On the one hand, I’ll probably be flying in the next couple of months, and could definitely benefit from ANC in that scenario.

On the other hand, I don’t trust hookless earbuds for working out, so regardless I’ll probably end up with something tough that has hooks or a neckband or cable or whatever anyway.

Will PowerBeats Pro work well enough on a flight to save the money, or should I spring for the AirPods? Will the AirPods be fine for working out? (I doubt it)

They’ve been talking about replacing both of these models for a while now (esp the AirPods), so tossing money at either right now isn’t my favorite move. But I need headphones.

FWIW, I used to be a hookless-earbud skeptic, but I've been using a pair of Jabra Elite 75t's for a year and a half and have never had them fall out or even get super loose. Running, biking, and weightlifting. Sound quality is also good, with decent ANC and a rad hear-through mode. I don't think I'll ever go back to wireless buds with hooks or bands.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

Do not pay full price for the power beats that’s for sure. I like mine but I got them from bestbuy for 129 and I feel that’s about the right price for them.

The airpod pros are so much more portable though. So I’d take that into consideration. I’ve used both for working out and they are both good but maybe a slight edge on the power beats because of the hooks.

The AirPods cancel out noise like crazy though so when I’m working out I don’t hear anything which is pretty sweet.

I use the AirPods more because it’s just easier to put them in my pocket and go. The power beats not so much.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Do not pay full price for the power beats that’s for sure. I like mine but I got them from bestbuy for 129 and I feel that’s about the right price for them.

The airpod pros are so much more portable though. So I’d take that into consideration. I’ve used both for working out and they are both good but maybe a slight edge on the power beats because of the hooks.

The AirPods cancel out noise like crazy though so when I’m working out I don’t hear anything which is pretty sweet.

I use the AirPods more because it’s just easier to put them in my pocket and go. The power beats not so much.

I’m worried about dropping $250 on AirPods Pro to have them updated in like 3-6 months, but I guess it’s not as bad as buying a laptop two weeks before the new hotness drops

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

I’m worried about dropping $250 on AirPods Pro to have them updated in like 3-6 months, but I guess it’s not as bad as buying a laptop two weeks before the new hotness drops

They haven’t updated them since launch and I think there is an Apple event coming up so it’s not impossible. They are solid though. They’ve completely replaced my QC35s for travel at this point too.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

They haven’t updated them since launch and I think there is an Apple event coming up so it’s not impossible. They are solid though. They’ve completely replaced my QC35s for travel at this point too.

Kinda surprised nobody had them at $199 this weekend

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Ok Comboomer posted:

The current rumour is that they're getting a revamp next month, to be more like the Beats Fit. That said most of the rumours about their internal changes has been about the bluetooth hardware, so I doubt you'll be losing out if you get the current Pros now. Though they'll also probably be discounted once the new ones are shown off.

Devorum posted:

I'm considering getting a pair of Sundara's as my first open-back headphones. Will I need an amp to push them? Mostly listening via PC (New motherboard says it has isolated audio components and a dedicated headphone amp, but I haven't really gotten to test it out)/Laptop/Phone. If so, is the FiiO Q3 (or BTR5) a good choice?

You don't need one, they'll run just fine out of a computer or phone. Though they're nice enough that you'll notice a difference with an amp, though since you don't need the extra power you might just want to get the faithful Apple dongle. I'd say hold off on buying anything else until you have the Sundaras and see how your gear handles them.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

redeyes posted:

Quite honestly the HBB Olina can be a friend to you. I hope you can listen to them as an upgrade to the Arias. I Personally think they kill them dead.

I got somewhat used to the Aria's form factor but the HBB Olinas don't seem that different to me in that regard. The width of the unit seems to be comparable, which probably means it's likely to chafe towards the the ear towards the back of the head. At the moment I'm considering getting etymotics ER2XR in the longterm. Sadly their availability in EU with decent prices is almost non-existent. Not the best for comfort, but I was fine with some kids' version of the Etymotics. Admittedly not sure about long-time wear. Honestly mostly because I'm concerned about in-room AC unit noise for the upcoming Summer.

I sent a mail to the retailer about the faulty right unit today, hoping to get a reply.

For now I'll deal with the RHA MA750is when I need to be wearing IEMs over full closedback. The MA750i are admittedly waaay more comfortable to wear than the Arias, but their lack of low frequency response is such that I'm occasionally wondering if they're just broken. Good thing about the RHAs is that they easily slot under NC headphones for more noise isolation over the hellish summer months.

Dessel fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Feb 22, 2022

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Dessel posted:

Not the best for comfort, but I was fine with some kids' version of the Etymotics. Admittedly not sure about long-time wear. Honestly mostly because I'm concerned about in-room AC unit noise for the upcoming Summer.

Etymotics really take some getting used to, or at least they did for me. They're still not "forgot I had IEMs in" comfortable but once you sort out the tips and cable I think they're fine for all day use. I went with the double flange tips and an aliexpress cable with a right-angle connector that lets me loop it up and over the ear easily. The ER2XR stock cable is flimsy microphonic garbage and should not be used, the only big downside of the set beside getting used to the fit imo.

Because I feel like it, I thought I'd do quick reviews of my current rotation:

IEMs:

BLON 03 - They're still ridiculously good. I use these in bed. gently caress the stock cable and tips. Sometimes I want big dynamic driver bass and I don't care if it's a little sloppy, these will whomp you while preserving soundstage, mid and treble detail at a level that is still shocking for the $30 or whatever they go for these days.

Thieaudio Legacy 3 - These got quickly outshone by the cheaper and arguably better Legacy 2, but these are my comfort kings. Deeper insertion than most without requiring the finagling that Etymotics do, great isolation. Their big downside is a spicy 5-6k region that can make snare hits and some vocals pop way the hell out in the mix. It's a bit reminiscent of the way MDR-7506 have that upper midrange honk, but not in a way that makes it unpleasant to listen to. It's a flavor. Treble extension is lacking as well, but they make up for it with detail, stage and imaging that's competitive for the price. Stock cable is actually great but it wore out at the plug and I replaced it with a tripowin zonie like most of my other IEMs.

ER2XR - They're god's own headphone. No complaints except that I can't use them in environments where I need to remove an earphone quickly, which is actually quite limiting for everyday wear. Still, nothing competes with the isolation and imaging these can do, it's like a brain interface that shuts the world off and pumps music directly into my imagination. Stock cable is a hate crime, see above.

7hz Timeless - I love planar headphones, these are arguably the first great planar IEMS. What they lack in stage and imaging they make up for in sheer resolution, extension and speed. These punch way above their price range, I think they're the clear winners at the $200 mark for IEMs in general. I find them wildly comfortable, the (physically) flat profile is great for bed listening, they're sensitive enough to work with most devices and the stock accessories are actually marvelous. I'd consider them semi-open, they isolate a bit but they're vented like crazy. Music does not leak out, but sound will leak in. They're just the best tuned, most detailed sound you can get in an IEM at their price. I can't wait for the inevitable planar IEM craze now that this set has become a phenomenon.

Headphones:

Beyer DT770 - They're comfortable tanks with spicy rear end treble and I love em. I've added some extra foam to calm down the icepick treble and I ditched the industrial stock cable for a 3.5mm jack. Now I mostly just run a short cable to my BTR5 and clip it to the headband to make them wireless.

Sennheiser HD580 Precision - These are the OG HD600 and I will never, ever, ever sell them. They're still magical and if you've never owned an HD600 variant you're absolutely missing out. Nothing does midrange like these, and at this point I don't think anything ever will. Just spectacular headphones in ways no other can match, even after 30 years of reliable service.

Koss KPH30i - You could order a large pizza, or you could get these headphones. I love pizza, but I think these headphones are the better deal. They have no right to sound this good or be this comfortable. And yes, the grado pad mod looks stupid but it's a genuinely incredible improvement to an already great headphone and not just a youtuber meme.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

One day Drop will ship my ER2SE and I’ll be able to have Etymotic opinions like the cool kids.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

I wish my Sennheiser HD 599 SE's were wireless. Any recommendations for a wireless around ear headphone that's at least as comfortable to wear as the 599's?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

UnfurledSails posted:

I wish my Sennheiser HD 599 SE's were wireless. Any recommendations for a wireless around ear headphone that's at least as comfortable to wear as the 599's?

You could get a Bluetooth dongle like the Fiio BTR5 or ifi goBlu and just keep wearing those. I personally don’t like heavy headphones when I’m walking around and batteries really change how headphones feel.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Ok Comboomer posted:

Will the AirPods be fine for working out? (I doubt it)

Anecdotal but I broke my first pair of OG AirPods from (I believe) sweating too much on them while working out. When the Pros were announced they came with sweat resistance and I've had mine since launch for use at the gym and they've been rock solid

This is from the Apple support page. Looks like the new standard ones are too

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

njsykora posted:

The current rumour is that they're getting a revamp next month, to be more like the Beats Fit. That said most of the rumours about their internal changes has been about the bluetooth hardware, so I doubt you'll be losing out if you get the current Pros now. Though they'll also probably be discounted once the new ones are shown off.

Where have you seen that? I thought they were going to be a summer or fall thing and next month was some Mac stuff

I'm excited for whatever the new Pros bring so I'd be happy if it was next month

Edit: Double post. Sorry

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

101 posted:

Anecdotal but I broke my first pair of OG AirPods from (I believe) sweating too much on them while working out. When the Pros were announced they came with sweat resistance and I've had mine since launch for use at the gym and they've been rock solid

This is from the Apple support page. Looks like the new standard ones are too

Also pay the $29 for the Apple care +. It’s definitely worth it.

New New Fresh
May 26, 2013

New New Fresh posted:

Been on K7XX for the past five years or so but now it's starting to cut out in the left side if I wiggle the cup the wrong way. Should be a quick fix to open it up and resolder whatever wire is loose but it's also got me thinking an upgrade might be fun.

Anyone have experience with the Hifiman HE6, specifically the SE v2? I see a few used ones listed for sale locally and I'm curious but I figure I'd probably have to upgrade my amp from my Vali 1 to something beefier. I remember the original HE6 had a reputation for being really power hungry.

I fixed my headphones over the weekend so I'm good for at least another five years

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Beyer DT770 - They're comfortable tanks with spicy rear end treble and I love em. I've added some extra foam to calm down the icepick treble and I ditched the industrial stock cable for a 3.5mm jack. Now I mostly just run a short cable to my BTR5 and clip it to the headband to make them wireless.

I'm surprised you consider the treble spicy/harsh. I've got the DT 770 Pros and DT 990 Pros and I'll admit the DT990s treble is on the tinny side. Think, of, uh a sword clashing piercing your ears. I probably honestly wouldn't mind the DT 990 Pros that much once I get used to them again but I want the isolation and my DT 990 Pros are getting loose, I should order replacement parts for the headband/driver connectors. But I never even considered the DT 770s to be high on the treble. What I mean to say I'd love to see your reaction to the DT 990 Pros.

DrOnline
Oct 21, 2007

frytechnician posted:

I have a pair of Bowers and Wilkins PX's (not 7s or 9s - just PX) which should be around that much if not less and they were my daily drivers for around 2-3 years or so. Apart from an above average clamping force, I think they're a pretty excellent pair of headphones and the noise cancelling is fantastic. Only stopped using them because I got into more niche iems and headphones which is proving.... expensive. But good! Really good!

Thanks for the insight! Guess now I have to find a place to try them out.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
lol at Zeos singlehandedly clearing the stock on HD8xx by giving out a $401 off code ($699 after discount).

He says he’s gonna try to get Drop to let him do it again in the future. I know a lot of people had complaints about those headphones, but they’ve gotta be worth it at ~40% off, right?

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Koss KPH30i - You could order a large pizza, or you could get these headphones. I love pizza, but I think these headphones are the better deal. They have no right to sound this good or be this comfortable. And yes, the grado pad mod looks stupid but it's a genuinely incredible improvement to an already great headphone and not just a youtuber meme.

Never heard of these, but for this price I might just get a pair to use while I work.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

They're apparently meant as the true successor to the PortaPros, also they're cheaper than both those and the sainted KSC75s these days. Also they make them in gloriously ugly beige.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

njsykora posted:

They're apparently meant as the true successor to the PortaPros, also they're cheaper than both those and the sainted KSC75s these days. Also they make them in gloriously ugly beige.

Rhythm Beige isn’t ugly, it’s wonderful. And the blue/red accents own bones and I wish more headphone makers kept doing it

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Dessel posted:

I'm surprised you consider the treble spicy/harsh. I've got the DT 770 Pros and DT 990 Pros and I'll admit the DT990s treble is on the tinny side.

The 770s have spicy treble, the 990s have hell on earth satan stabbing your brain with a rusty fork treble. I salute the people who can enjoy those headphones, I cannot.

henpod posted:

Never heard of these, but for this price I might just get a pair to use while I work.

Everyone should own a pair, but be aware that they are an extremely open pair of headphones and everyone around you will hear your poo poo.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Feb 23, 2022

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

The 770s have spicy treble, the 990s have hell on earth satan stabbing your brain with a rusty fork treble. I salute the people who can enjoy those headphones, I cannot.

I really wanted to like my 770s cause they're built so well but I couldn't do it without some EQ. Ended up breaking them trying to do a removable cable mod so I got the new 700 Pro X's. Fix pretty much every problem with that line imo

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
My headphones with the failing band finally gave out enough that I had to stop using them, so I grabbed my old Logitech G930s and after only an hour I'm reminded of how nice it is to be able to wander away from my desk while still listening to whatever I'm watching on Youtube or keeping up with a conference call.

Is there a such thing as a wireless headphone amp that uses a USB dongle rather than Bluetooth? I'd love to be able to have a normal wired set of headphones that I could plug in to a box that normally lives on my desk connected to power but can be unplugged and pocketed when I go grab a snack or whatever.

I can find plenty of Bluetooth offerings, but I have never had a good experience with Bluetooth latency while gaming and have seen nothing to make me believe that's changed yet. The new BTLE Audio profile supposedly improves this, but as far as I can tell it's not yet possible to actually buy a product supporting it.

As far as I can tell the non-Bluetooth wireless headphone market is basically gamer stuff and then a big gap of nothing until you hit production-grade gear with matching price tags.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Feb 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

I'm looking to pick up a pair of new nice-ish headphones to replace a set left behind with my mum when I left Australia.
Those were Sennheiser HD485s - probably low-end by the standards of this crew but I quite liked them.

Budget - I don't really have a budget in mind - preferably this side of $300
Source - I have a Fiio BTR5 which will be the connection method for almost anything I'd want to use with the device... but I would also like to plug the headphones into my PS5 controller on occasion.
Isolation Requirements - Nope, and in fact I quite liked my open-back HD485s.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Circumaural. I got plenty of buds if I need something discrete.
Preferred Tonal Balance - I like a fairly balanced sound, but my music taste is fairly mids-focused. I also like well defined treble.
Past Headphones - I'm a Sennheiser whore. HD485s and PX100s. Tried a pair of Status Audio OB-1's; they sounded great (for the price) but were flimsy as gently caress. Right now I'm using buds predominantly (Sony WF-1000XM3).
Preferred Music - Weird psychedelic French poo poo at the moment, but generally mellow stuff (Tame Impala/Pond, The Avalanches, Daft Punk, Beck) with odd stints into Aussie electro

sarcastx fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Feb 23, 2022