Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/vigwer/status/989507374070218752

That dude does a bunch of good G-Reco fanart, but a lot of it has naked boobs so watch yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

lol

I'm still petty early on (Stage 8 I think) but I feel like SRWX is doing a pretty good job making the G-Reco plot seem fairly accessible.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

so is build divers more build fighters or build fighters try?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

On one hand, there's some pretty fun designs, and fights aren't just yelling and doing the same super move.

On the other hand, the two leads are, and I say this without any hesitation, dull as all hell.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

chiasaur11 posted:

On one hand, there's some pretty fun designs, and fights aren't just yelling and doing the same super move.

On the other hand, the two leads are, and I say this without any hesitation, dull as all hell.

At the very least, they are still better than Sekai just for actually being interested in Gunpla, and not having everyone they meet jerk off about how great and strong Riku and Yukki are and that they REALLY want to fight them.

But yes, they're not much more than audience perspective stand-ins right now.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

At the very least, they are still better than Sekai just for actually being interested in Gunpla, and not having everyone they meet jerk off about how great and strong Riku and Yukki are and that they REALLY want to fight them.

But yes, they're not much more than audience perspective stand-ins right now.

I mean, they are getting some hype, but it feels earned and proportionate in a ‘wow, that new player’s got a lot of raw talent, I want him on my team so I can train him to use it’ sort of way. Everything in GBD feels functional and solid except that the two leads aren’t interesting. They’re plausible, but not charming.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

ninjewtsu posted:

Right now it feels like a toy commercial aimed at kids aged 8-10.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Apr 27, 2018

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

ninjewtsu posted:

So far its the worst of the three IMO.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

At the very least, they are still better than Sekai just for actually being interested in Gunpla
Sekai not being interesting in Gunpla so much at least made him distinct from the others in his trio from the beginning.

Right now in Divers, I'm not even sure why Riku and his friend with the name I can't even remember are two separate characters.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Apr 27, 2018

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The first episode kind of set up the idea Riku was more in to the gunpla aspect while Yuuki was more in to the MMO aspect, with Riku getting so fascinated by the various gunpla and having shelves of them in his room post time skip while Yuuki just wanted to see the game play straight away; but that's been entirely abandoned and Riku's competitive spirit meant he's overtaken Yuuki as the gameplay focused one as well as really liking gunpla now so yeah, there's functionally no difference between them.

And realistically, Riku was always going to be hyper competitive about the game play or else he wouldn't be much of a lead in a show focused on gameplay; so it seems kind of weird they didn't set it up the other way around with Yuuki as the one fascinated by gunpla in the beginning.

Edit: I'd still say Divers is more fun than Try, and by a long way but that's because after the first three episodes I found Try dull as poo poo and it ties with AGE as my least favourite Gundam entry. I realize that Divers could still poo poo the bed too, but I find Divers better after three episodes than Try all the same (though Try has a better first episode), so I'm still hopeful.

tsob fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Apr 27, 2018

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

tsob posted:

The first episode kind of set up the idea Riku was more in to the gunpla aspect while Yuuki was more in to the MMO aspect, with Riku getting so fascinated by the various gunpla and having shelves of them in his room post time skip while Yuuki just wanted to see the game play straight away; but that's been entirely abandoned and Riku's competitive spirit meant he's overtaken Yuuki as the gameplay focused one as well as really liking gunpla now so yeah, there's functionally no difference between them.

And realistically, Riku was always going to be hyper competitive about the game play or else he wouldn't be much of a lead in a show focused on gameplay; so it seems kind of weird they didn't set it up the other way around with Yuuki as the one fascinated by gunpla in the beginning.

In that regard, perhaps should've swapped Yukki and Momoka's character roles just so there's at least a front-and-center generic female lead instead of hanger-on.

One thing I think is at least worth saying in their favour though is they haven't sidelined Yukki as just "the best friend/wannabe tryhard". He's been just as competent as Riku thus far.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Yea, I was thinking the same thing in regards to Momoka. And while Yuuki hasn't been sidelined in terms of competence, he also has no real purpose beyond being Riku's friend who's also there. He doesn't actually contribute anything beyond being another person in a fight; a role which Momoka is now filling too.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Raxivace posted:

So far its the worst of the three IMO.

I don't know, Divers just feels regular dull in comparison to Try being aggressively dull.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I just realised that that a home console SRW actually skipped a gundam series. They never brought in AGE.

Woof, you know a gundam series bombed incredibly hard if THAT happened.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Monaghan posted:

I just realised that that a home console SRW actually skipped a gundam series. They never brought in AGE.

AGE was in BX (well, the third gen), Banpresto probably decided that was good enough and moved on.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The only skipped series really is Build Fighters 1, since Try technically started after G-Reco.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Lemon-Lime posted:

Right now it feels like a toy commercial aimed at kids aged 8-10.

For sure. GBF wasn't prestige television but it was a fleshed out world with people and places. Divers is like "Here's a selection of gunpla and the things they can do."

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Monaghan posted:

It bombed so hard that the G Gen game it debuted in didn't even have it front and center on the boxart.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

EthanSteele posted:

It bombed so hard that the G Gen game it debuted in didn't even have it front and center on the boxart.

That and it only did the first arc and even that only barely.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

To be fair, Age would be difficult to adapt in any SRW game unless they're willing to commit to sequels.

But yeah, I don't think there's any suits pushing the SRW team to plan another series of sequels just for Age.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'd really like to see a SRW try and commit to the full story of AGE somehow, giving it the Destiny treament. There's enough squandered good ideas there that could be mined into something cool

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hellioning posted:

To be fair, Age would be difficult to adapt in any SRW game unless they're willing to commit to sequels.

But yeah, I don't think there's any suits pushing the SRW team to plan another series of sequels just for Age.

If any medium could get AGE's story right, it'd be an RPG :v:.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Hellioning posted:

SRW games had Zeta and double Zeta happen at the exact same time

No one should ever say "Well, it'd be hard to do in SRW" because that's never been true

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

They've had multiple macross series in the same game and have had The crossbone suits and the zeta suits hanging out together. Not to mention multiple dimensions and what not. SRW never had trouble with timelines.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Tae posted:

SRW games had Zeta and double Zeta happen at the exact same time

No one should ever say "Well, it'd be hard to do in SRW" because that's never been true

I mean, it's one thing to have timeline fuckery. It's another thing to have the main character's child show up and be older than they are currently.

...I say to someone with an Awakening avatar.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

SRW games do a lot of parallel dimension stuff these days too which could work in AGE's favor.

Like you could have young optimistic Flit be fighting old man Flit from another timeline who grew cynical because, Idk, he watched all of those Zambot 3 characters die or something in addition to his own problems.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Or Old Man Flint survived the ending to Baldios, and it turns out the AGE baddies helped with that plan, so... yeah, he has reasons to want them dead

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I’m watching Gundam Origin V - Clash at Loum and I’m sad the Colony Drop is just narration and there isn’t as much reaction to before it actually hits. Other than that I’m finding it solid background noise to finishing PG Exia.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Raxivace posted:

SRW games do a lot of parallel dimension stuff these days too which could work in AGE's favor.

Like you could have young optimistic Flit be fighting old man Flit from another timeline who grew cynical because, Idk, he watched all of those Zambot 3 characters die or something in addition to his own problems.

Pretty much just bolt it to Buddy Complex the same way Zambot doesn't show up without its big brother Daitarn.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh god they changed “Bow before me, God” at the end of Clash at Loum to “Be amazed at what I can do, almighty one” holy poo poo what a stinker

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

In that regard, perhaps should've swapped Yukki and Momoka's character roles just so there's at least a front-and-center generic female lead instead of hanger-on.

One thing I think is at least worth saying in their favour though is they haven't sidelined Yukki as just "the best friend/wannabe tryhard". He's been just as competent as Riku thus far.

What's weird to me is that Momoka is the first character to appear in the intro but she's still mostly a sideline character.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Taintrunner posted:

Oh god they changed “Bow before me, God” at the end of Clash at Loum to “Be amazed at what I can do, almighty one” holy poo poo what a stinker

Ew/

IDK what it is about it but origin V has definitely been the low point in the Movies for me. Left very little impression to the point where I've started it multiple times not sure I've watched it and gotten twenty minutes in before going "I'm pretty sure I have....?".

Getting towards the back end of CDA whyyyy does nanai looks like my idealized girlfriend circa 2001...? Was very surprised when she showed up and as that particular design. I know CCA is like a decade later but that still seems like a rather radical change!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Taintrunner posted:

They did that to the English dub? Crap.

I don't know how you could properly convey the sheet terror of the colony drop in anime unless you were playing Threnody for Hiroshima over it while cutting to scenes from terminator 2 and Barefoot Gen. It's the single most destructive act in human history and while I like how impersonal Origin makes it, I could have done without the narration and just let visuals emphasize the horror.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I think the manga does well by it, btw.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The thing for me is they imply the navy couldn’t stop it in time and there was some divide between their attempt and it actually hitting that was a non-zero amount of time, I would have liked to see the on the ground freakouts.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Can I gush about how cool the final scene in Origin episode 5 was seeing Char just max his Zaku. Really loved that scene.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Origin 5 puts a lot of emphasis on the colony getting gassed and comparatively not very much on the colony obliterating a third of the earth

Which is a little odd but the colony gassing is pretty hardcore so I still like the movie

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Maybe they'd have had time to show the devastation if earth if they had it out the seven minute musical interlude with Hamon.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

ninjewtsu posted:

Origin 5 puts a lot of emphasis on the colony getting gassed and comparatively not very much on the colony obliterating a third of the earth

Which is a little odd but the colony gassing is pretty hardcore so I still like the movie

The gassing is incredibly softballed given that the last time it was depicted in gundam it was straight up a flesh-eating nerve agent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

The gassing is incredibly softballed given that the last time it was depicted in gundam it was straight up a flesh-eating nerve agent.

I really disagree with that. In the Origin we get to see the victims beforehand, and see their resolve. They're loaded up in the truck and they've got some guns from god knows where, and they're gonna fight. They know Zeon is gonna kick their rear end, but they're gonna stand up and fight for their home, even if it's futile. We get to know a couple characters, they're real people with hopes and dreams. They're making plans for the future. And then all of that is taken away from them. They don't get to fight back, or live their lives, everything just ends. All of those people were just a potential obstacle in Operation British, so Zeon ends their lives. I think that's important, that it's depicted that way. Not that they were killed, but that their lives ended. Their futures were taken away

I think that's much sadder and more horrifying than that spooky zombie insta-haemorrhagic way it's depicted in 08th MS team, where it turns you into a withered up old person