Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
https://twitter.com/nielslesniewski/status/707018206024736768

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lookoutbelow
Mar 3, 2004

Bahhh, you young whipper snappers. Behold the majesty, in all its ancient short fingered and vulgar glory:

http://www.openculture.com/2011/04/spy_magazine_1986-1998_now_online.html

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

TwinsensRevenge posted:

nowadays, I need hourly trump tweets just to feel normal

basically, the hoi polloi and mainstream media noticing trump right now is like when maureen dowd went to colorado and ate like a kilogram of thc in a candy bar

in that they both write an essay about how they rolled around on the floor in a paranoid fever all night and everybody who knows how to do weedtrump points and laughs

edit: this is actually a perfect analogy

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Mar 8, 2016

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Sugar daddies? Also what is an apostrophe?

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Sugar daddies? Also what is an apostrophe?
NOT IN MY COUNRTY

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

In case anyone is curious, this guy right here is the co-leader for "Team Trump Hawaii" who is leading Trump's efforts in Hawaii and their 19 delegates tomorrow.

https://www.facebook.com/kimos.me?fref=nf

Just for reference, in 2012 they voted 45% for Romney, and in 2008 I believe it was more party insiders that just pledged all to McCain (for some reason I can't find data, but it was held in May when it was all locked up anyway).

The makeup of the state is highly Mormon, but also extremely moderate, so I'm going to guess it will go Trump, but only because a) there are hardly any Republicans here, and b) those that are Republican need to be pretty enthusiastic about getting out to vote (as Hawaiians aren't likely to vote), so if Trump can turn out voters he'll likely take a win here.

Bernie should win over Clinton too, with Tulsi Gabbard (a well liked Senator who has grudges with Obama and Clinton) endorsing Bernie last week after Super Tuesday.

Just my two cents. If I get a chance I'll take some pics tomorrow of a local voting station near my work at lunch.

Rocks fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Mar 8, 2016

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Rocks posted:

In case anyone is curious, this guy right here is the co-leader for "Team Trump Hawaii" who is leading Trump's efforts in Hawaii and their 19 delegates tomorrow.

Just for reference, in 2012 they voted 45% for Romney, and in 2008 I believe it was more party insiders that just pledged all to McCain (for some reason I can't find data, but it was held in May when it was all locked up anyway).

The makeup of the state is highly Mormon, but also extremely moderate, so I'm going to guess it will go Trump, but only because a) there are hardly any Republicans here, and b) those that are Republican need to be pretty enthusiastic about getting out to vote (as Hawaiians aren't likely to vote), so if Trump can turn out voters he'll likely take a win here.

Bernie should win over Clinton too, with Tulsi Gabbard (a well liked Senator who has grudges with Obama and Clinton) endorsing Bernie last week after Super Tuesday.

Just my two cents. If I get a chance I'll take some pics tomorrow of a local voting station near my work at lunch.

Where in Hawaii are you? It's such a beautiful place.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

Rocks posted:

First thing I see on that profile

RACOON POOP and TRUMP .................................................. RACCON POOP .............................

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

babypolis posted:

hahaha thats pretty rich coming from a hateful little poo poo like you

babypolis you wound me

i have argued for amnesty for every single illegal immigrant in the united states

and my wish for the border wall is to prevent the suffering that happens to illegals in the underground economy, and when undertaking their journeys. as well as to better the lives of the american working man and woman.

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Where in Hawaii are you? It's such a beautiful place.

I live in Honolulu, and my work takes me between Honolulu and Kapolei (and sometimes to Kahului/Lahaina in Maui and Kona/Hilo on the Big Island)

Anyway, Hawaiians are basically non-political, and if you bring up politics they get a disgusting look on their face. I would imagine that they would lean Trump just solely to the fact that he's a "non-politician trying to stir things up". If Kasich had a presence I'm sure he could do well but I don't think anyone has even heard of him.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

oystertoadfish posted:

a lot of the news now is basically people who haven't been paying attention to this shitshow taking it all in in one shot and freaking the gently caress out

we've been taking it in through variolation over the course of most of a year, they're getting hit with the pure strain trump without the built-up immunity

Vaccination is real.

GastonEatTheEggs
Nov 7, 2012

Gen. Ripper posted:

There's always this periodic thing every election where all the media is like "but no this could TOTALLY be the year the GOP flips Minnesota!!!11" and it never happens. I have no clue why.

Same for Pennsylvania. I remember GOP campaigns spending most of the last week in Pennsylvania and it always goes blue anyway.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

he literally talked about how much he wants to murder terrorists' families but since your support for him is 100% based on spite for minorities I wouldn't expect you to have anything close to a reality-based view

My support for him is based on protectionism, keynesian infrastructure investment and an end to H1B visa abuse, as well as legal weed at the federal level :350:

Obama care is a lovely pile of poo poo. I tried to sign up for it in January with a current household income of $500/month and basically got a letter saying gently caress you. Even if I could afford it the deductibles are so high as to make it pointless. I think that removing state lines on insurance providers and negotiating for drugs would be better for my healthcare in the long run, and Trump wants to expand Medicare to cover those who can't afford private insurance.

The Saurus fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Mar 8, 2016

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Pick posted:

Minnesota went loving blue for Water Mondale I think it's gonna be blue, Nate.

Also, have genuinely wondered this--are the Clintons too far from Arkansas to still get Arkansas?

I've been saying Minnesota would go red for Trump over Hillary for ages

Hillary Clinton has a huge problem with white voters

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Propelled by a white powder sugary substance

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
https://twitter.com/OrwellForks/status/707022112314286081

Retweeted by Rick Wilson. Rubio supporters are so salty today. They're also upset because Trump is getting tons of free airtime for his attack ad.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

ive been to hawaii twice, i got to see the kilauea lava back when it was flowing into the sea (i think i read it's not now) and honolulu is nice too

i only went through real quick but the west shore of o'ahu seemed to be filled with native hawai'ians who did not appear to like me. north shore was chill

i have a shirt from kua'aina and i ate at verna's

hawaii was cool

y0 ive edited this question into minutes-old posts of mine twice, and this thread moves pretty fast, so either you didnt see it or you didnt care, but i did have a question for you: among the people who care about tulsi gabbard, are there any who care about her dad's politics, and if so how do they think it reflects upon tulsi? this is the last time ill ask

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Mar 8, 2016

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

look at this filthy smut, nnngh

quote:

A brokered convention would bring out the absolute best in the nation, and by best I mean the worst—name-calling, vicious threats of payback, deep acts of betrayal, lawsuits, hair-pulling, and in the finest tradition of the 1924 convention, bloody fist-fights. It’s probably too much to hope for a gathering of 20,000 Klansmen in Cleveland to report on, but a fleet of Trumpites canoeing their way up the Cuyahoga River would gratify the press corps.

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

At this point I'm CONVINCED he's just trying to get back at Megyn Kelly. She consumes him. Only her specific point from the case quoting the opinion saying "these people were brainwashed, it's common among scam artists..." refutes Trump's clear dumbed down point here.

Thus, if he wins now, Kelly loses. He really is a vengeful ball of poo poo, he's lucky I love an antihero and I just finished House of Cards.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

Pick posted:

Donald Trump PLEASE call out ted cruz for being a brony

^^^^ this 100times

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...
Kelly File update:

She's still having on mainly pro-Rubio guests, it's probably prebooked, but the staff itself (her, Stirewalt etc.) are pushing Kasich via contested convention HARD.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Joementum posted:

Nate is trolling you guys. He runs the models thousands of times each and they always produce some wacky outlier maps on the tail ends of the curve.

No one is trolling anyone anymore. We live in a post-Trump world and all posts about the election are honest and unironic, even when the poster themselves is deluded enough to think otherwise.

Maybe even especially then.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Montasque posted:

https://twitter.com/OrwellForks/status/707022112314286081

Retweeted by Rick Wilson. Rubio supporters are so salty today. They're also upset because Trump is getting tons of free airtime for his attack ad.

The funniest thing is that the Rubio camp put out a 1200 word "response" to the ad that doesn't actually respond or even acknowledge any of the claims made in the ad (probably because they are all true). Because really, the house thing is so damning, and if politics and the media weren't so incredibly hosed, it would have sunk him the moment he announced.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Aliquid posted:

thats even hotter than republican toes

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
1924 etc had one thing that we don't have (and the thing that prevents us from having brokered conventions pretty much every cycle): the hilariously crazy rule that a candidate needed 2/3rds of delegates, not 50%+1.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

The Saurus posted:

My support for him is based on protectionism, keynesian infrastructure investment and an end to H1B visa abuse, as well as legal weed at the federal level :350:

Obama care is a lovely pile of poo poo. I tried to sign up for it in January with a current household income of $500/month and basically got a letter saying gently caress you. Even if I could afford it the deductibles are so high as to make it pointless. I think that removing state lines on insurance providers and negotiating for drugs would be better for my healthcare in the long run, and Trump wants to expand Medicare to cover those who can't afford private insurance.

Those two healthcare proposals are complete dogshit and this is why.
First, drugs. The reason that "negotiating for drugs" is a buzzword is that the government, supposedly, could get lower drug prices if they could negotiate. This is probably true, to an extent. The thing is, these drug prices would only be on drugs paid for by the government for Medicare. Trump explicitly does not want to expand Medicare. It's right on his web site. We don't have to guess. He not only wants to do nothing to it, he wants to turn Medicaid into block grants, which would result in millions of people being kicked off the program in states with higher income eligibility limits. Further, the ability of the government to "negotiate" for lower drug prices is undercut by the fact that private insurance, which already can negotiate, has pretty much set the price point for most drugs. Now, I know the next step is allowing drug imports. The problem is, drugs are no longer cheaper in Canada due to their currency appreciating relative to ours, and while they are cheap in Mexico relative to here due to price controls, most Mexican labs are not FDA-certified-- which they'd have to be, to sell drugs in America. There's no getting around that. Furthermore, those drug labs are owned by big name pharma companies headquartered in the US and Europe, and these companies aren't stupid. If they increase production of drugs for sale in Mexico, they know they are directly undercutting their US market, and stealing money from themselves-- why would anyone pay for US-produced hydrocodone, for example, when they could have the exact same thing cheaper from Mexico? So they won't increase production, which means we won't be able to import those drugs in the quantities we need; the Mexican labs have large contracts from the Mexican government, and will continue to provide drugs to them. Some drugs will trickle north due to corruption in Mexico, but these are exactly the kind of drugs Trump promises to stop flooding over our border, so I have a hard time seeing that as the backbone of his medication cost reduction plan.

Second, state lines. Can you think of a single reason why that would reduce costs? "Competition" is a buzzword. Any insurance company headquartered in, say, Delaware, would need to offer plans that meet the requirements of, say, Massachusetts, in order to sell there. There's no reason to assume the Delaware companies, working under the exact same regulatory framework of Massachusetts companies, would be able to offer savings. If anything they'd be more expensive than true in-state plans due to having to recoup the fixed costs of setting up insurance distribution infrastructure in another state (offices, support staff etc.) Now, if they were not subject to the regulatory framework of the new state, well, that's just a good old-fashioned neoliberal race-to-the-bottom, where deregulation allows major insurance companies to strip-mine customers for profit. Imagine the worst, shittiest insurance you can imagine, with huge deductibles, extremely limited coverage, huge penalties for going out-of-network, and a tiny annual maximum-- except you can't even buy a better one for any reasonable amount of money, because there are no regulations enforceable anywhere that can prevent this. It's like US businesses having a mailbox in the Caiman Islands; they'll all "relocate" to Delaware (which I did not pick at random) then restructure to unburden themselves from all of those pesky regulations requiring coverage up to a certain level, etc.

The Trump health care plan-- which, as I said, we don't have to guess at, since it's on his site in its entirety-- is "gently caress you, pull out all the stops for insurance companies to drill you in the rear end, bring back pre-existing conditions, gut regulation, and the only benefit to you is a credit on the income tax you're not paying anyway because of my looneyballs tax plan." It's a dumpster fire. I'd rather have Paul Ryan's health care plan.

DAD LOST MY IPOD fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Mar 8, 2016

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

oystertoadfish posted:

I was super on board an uncontested Trump nomination, but now I want a contested convention, I mean READ this, it's... magical.

The 1924 Democratic Convention posted:

For there is something about a national convention that makes it as fascinating as a revival or a hanging. It is vulgar, it is ugly, it is stupid, it is tedious, it is hard upon both the higher cerebral centers and the gluteus maximus, and yet it is somehow charming. One sits through long sessions wishing heartily that all the delegates and alternates were dead and in hell—and then suddenly there comes a show so gaudy and hilarious, so melodramatic and obscene, unimaginably exhilarating and preposterous that one lives a gorgeous year in an hour.

We'd be in thread heaven.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

oystertoadfish posted:

So what are you up to professionally these days, Mr. Morris?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Oiled and Ready posted:

I'd pretend to be a prostitute and sneak in, if only I weren't a woman :(

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Captain_Maclaine posted:

So what are you up to professionally these days, Mr. Morris?

holy poo poo i had no idea dick morris had a toe sucking fetish

thank you for getting me to google that. it would not have occurred to me otherwise

to be clear i was making a cheap crossover joke with the cpac thread, but now im learning

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

oystertoadfish posted:

ive been to hawaii twice, i got to see the kilauea lava back when it was flowing into the sea (i think i read it's not now) and honolulu is nice too

i only went through real quick but the west shore of o'ahu seemed to be filled with native hawai'ians who did not appear to like me. north shore was chill

i have a shirt from kua'aina and i ate at verna's

hawaii was cool

I went skydiving, went on a tour of where they filmed a bunch of movies then I hung out in various beaches and drank a ton of beer. Hawaii was great.

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

"Everyone in Luntz focus group but one yells "Bernie!" When asked. 10 people interviewed as to why Hillary won.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I went skydiving, went on a tour of where they filmed a bunch of movies then I hung out in various beaches and drank a ton of beer. Hawaii was great.

i loved the big island, i wanna go to maui and kauai someday though. probably best time for maui would be for the college basketball tournament they have there

then there are those other little islands but maybe they dont need my haole rear end wandering around bothering them

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
The big island is so chill man.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Oiled and Ready posted:

Kelly File update:

She's still having on mainly pro-Rubio guests, it's probably prebooked, but the staff itself (her, Stirewalt etc.) are pushing Kasich via contested convention HARD.

She/Fox seem more friendly to Bernie and Hillary than Trump.

A taste of the general.

E: Frank Luntz democractic focus group is so different than the mutant horde he gathers for the Republican ones. My god this is night and day. Luntz brings up that the dem focus group is thoughtful, calm, engaging. The Republican focus groups are just angry idiots.

Montasque fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Mar 8, 2016

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Oiled and Ready posted:

I was super on board an uncontested Trump nomination, but now I want a contested convention, I mean READ this, it's... magical.

1924 lasted two weeks.

Some of the 19th century ones were pretty rocking parties as well. 1924 just hit a really resonant theme: it happened during a time when two wildly different Democratic Parties, a southern white Protestant party that stood for white supremacy, Prohibition, Confederate nostalgia, and lynching, went face to face with a northern white ethnic Catholic/Jewish party that stood for as much liquor as possible, in opposition to the Klan, big city industrial concerns, and left-wing economic notions. These factions existed in the same party and asking them to come up with one candidate was borderline impossible even though the Southern faction backed a Californian who was OK with labor laws. McAdoo was still a Protestant Prohibitionist who was...if not a Klansman, at least not openly opposed to the Klan. Meanwhile, Al Smith, the Northern candidate of choice, was a pro-booze Catholic governor of New York who was never going to play in Dixie.

Is it any surprise that they ended up just shrugging and giving the nomination to someone else entirely?

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
after i visited the big island for a week I was a hair's breadth away from selling everything I owned in a desperate attempt to move there

still kind of regret not doing it

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Brannock posted:

Did I somehow get transported to Huffington Post comments or what?

you are the one that seems to have set up some kind of bot that alerts you to whenever someone mentions the rapist line so you can show up to be pedantic about it for the 500th time

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Aliquid posted:

Its bikers, not the clan, who heavily back Trump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Xenophon posted:

after i visited the big island for a week I was a hair's breadth away from selling everything I owned in a desperate attempt to move there

still kind of regret not doing it

counterpoint: the drugs, inc. i saw about heroin addicts in hawaii was probably the most depressing one

apparently at least when they filmed it it was hard to get heroin in hawaii, and it cost a lot, and it was lovely

i think they were living out of a car on some big island beach. might be wrong about the island. either way i think they were like 'i remember when i loved how beautiful it was here, but now i just want heroin' and it was like :(

i guess maine is better thanks to the nationally notorious black thugs from massachusetts

edit: i remember there was also some drug dealer, a black guy from some inner city who moved to honolulu, and he was saying how much lower-stress it was, how much less at risk of getting murdered he was compared to oakland or wherever he came from. so that's the other side of the coin

buttttt if you avoid getting addicted to heroin you can avoid the downsides of hawaii. although i guess p much everything is expensive there

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Mar 8, 2016

• Locked thread