Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

StickySweater posted:

Buying this was one of the best values I think I ever got: a 4-pack including The Thing, Prince of Darkness, They Live, Village of the Damned. VotD is obviously the weak entry, but still strong enough to watch once or twice.

http://www.amazon.com/John-Carpenter-Collection-Darkness-Village/dp/B0024FADBA/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1366396931&sr=8-11&keywords=the+thing

Other entries I'm glad I own are the 2 4-packs of the Nightmare films; so that's 1 through 7 plus Freddy vs. Jason.

I feel like collectors sometimes look down at these 4-movie sets, but I've got a few that I love. This Final Destination Collection is an awesome deal for three really fun movies and one kinda bad one, and the video quality is the same as buying the DVDs separately. Same with Nightmare on Elm Street one, and there are sets for Critters, Blade, etc. Unless you really need each movie to have it's own individual case, these are the way to go.

Along the same lines, here are a couple that I have and love, good ways to cheaply build up a horror collection:
TCM Greatest Classic Film Collection: Hammer Horror
Icons of Horror Collection: Hammer Films

edit: Also, if you are looking for quality releases that aren't necessarily cheap, you can't go wrong with anything put out by Criterion (obviously), Scream Factory, Blue Underground, or Redemption - although a high quality release doesn't always mean it's a movie you'll like, so check out reviews first.

gey muckle mowser fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Toriori posted:

What are your favorite movies that you physically own?

If you don't own The Thing (1982) then you don't have a collection.

My favourite owned horror movies are that plus:

Island of Lost Souls
The Fog
Prince of Darkness
Hallowe'en
The Exorcist
Rosemary's Baby
Night of the Living Dead
The Wicker Man
Quatermass and the Pit
Let The Right One In
Troll Hunter

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
I've got on Bluray:

The Thing
The Invasion
The Box
Evil Dead 2
Dead Alive
Quarantine
Splice
From Dusk Til Dawn
Attack The Block
War of the Worlds
Tremors
The Shining
Alien
The Descent
Dawn of the Dead
28 Days Later
Creepshow
The Last Exorcism
Silent Hill
Deep Blue Sea
Hausu

These are my favorite horror films.

These are not my favorite horror films, but I own them on DVD:
Triangle
An American Werewolf in London
Cronos
Orphan
Blacula
Drag Me To Hell (plan on getting this on Bluray)
Paranormal Activity
MAXIMUM OVERDRIVE!!!
And about a hundred 50s b-movies that came in a box set and are not worth naming (most of them have been featured on MST3K.)

scary ghost dog fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Apr 19, 2013

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
^my friend has hundreds of horror movies, so many she has several shelf units dedicated to them. She has one area dedicated to foreign (divided by where they are from and subject), classics and b-movies as well. She has a lot of b-movies. I don't need to go that intense, but I like horror and so it would be nice to have a collection for rainy day movie watching.

Jedit posted:

If you don't own The Thing (1982) then you don't have a collection.

My favourite owned horror movies are that plus:

Island of Lost Souls
The Fog
Prince of Darkness
Hallowe'en
The Exorcist
Rosemary's Baby
Night of the Living Dead
The Wicker Man
Quatermass and the Pit
Let The Right One In
Troll Hunter

I actually haven't seen Troll Hunter so I bought it to kick start my collecting. Thanks for the ideas so far everyone :)

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Nathander posted:

I got back about a hour ago from seeing it. I'll be honest in that I haven't managed to see any of Zombie's other films yet, but I really, really liked Lords of Salem. It's not a perfect movie in any regard - parts of it, especially the beginning and end, seem unfocused. In the case of the end, however, it's because of how surreal it gets and I somewhat let that pass due to it being the movie's intent. I'm still not certain what the message of the film was aside from being general anti-religion, although I feel there has to be something more to it than that which doesn't help it either.

On the other hand, it was one of the single creepiest recent horror movies I've seen, and the fact that it's a witch story helps it a lot with how few movies about witches I can think have been released in recent years. While I thought the beginning was kind of a slog and the ending a little bit too bizarre, the majority of it I liked and felt was a great kind of love letter to the horror films of the 70s/80s in tone. I can understand why it's only getting a limited engagement/release because there's no way it would appeal to a mainstream crowd at all, but I don't regret having gone to see it.

Seems pretty lock-step with the other reviews that I've read. Thanks! Can't wait 'til I can see it around these parts.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Toriori posted:

^my friend has hundreds of horror movies, so many she has several shelf units dedicated to them. She has one area dedicated to foreign (divided by where they are from and subject), classics and b-movies as well. She has a lot of b-movies. I don't need to go that intense, but I like horror and so it would be nice to have a collection for rainy day movie watching.

I can't dedicate a shelf to them because they only came in slipcovers, no boxes, which is totally bogus but I'm glad because goddamn they're all awful. The Brain that Wouldn't Die? Horrors of Spider Island? These movies are garbage.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Rogue and Black Water are two great croc movies on completely different spectrum's, how did we manage to get two films like this within a few years of each other? They don't seem to be in the public consciousness as much as shark films like Open Water, what's the deal with that?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
I dunno, but the best croc/gator film is Lake Placid.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Toriori posted:

I actually haven't seen Troll Hunter so I bought it to kick start my collecting. Thanks for the ideas so far everyone :)

It's a great movie, let me know what you think of it. A brief warning, though (minor spoilers): :siren::supaburn: TROLLLLLLL!!!!!! :supaburn::siren:

If you do enjoy it and don't mind subtitles, you might also want to track down a Finnish movie in a similar vein called Rare Exports.

Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.

StickySweater posted:

Buying this was one of the best values I think I ever got: a 4-pack including The Thing, Prince of Darkness, They Live, Village of the Damned. VotD is obviously the weak entry, but still strong enough to watch once or twice.

http://www.amazon.com/John-Carpenter-Collection-Darkness-Village/dp/B0024FADBA/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1366396931&sr=8-11&keywords=the+thing

Prince of Darkness is one of those films I really want to like but I can't. It could be a really creepy and tense film but the signature Carpenter synth score just holds the film back rather than accentuate it.

This is a short bit I wrote for some friends:

Prince of Darkness would be a far better, and eerier, film if it had no score at all. Usually Carpenter can get a pretty effective little ditty going on his synth (Escape from New York, Halloween) but in this it just sucks the tension out of every scene. Carpenter attempts to have the film take its self more seriously than most of his previous films and it could have worked had it not so easily eroded every ounce of anxiety with each note. The music is atmospheric and all but the fact it's played throughout the whole film just doesn't allow it to actually be effective.

Donald Pleasence and Victor Wong have some effective and unsettling discussions on metaphysics. A bit hokey, but the atmosphere was built enough to make it more digestible. The realization that something was amiss would have been given more time to grow in the audience had the score not constantly pounded "is it spooky yet?". The simple plodding about of the other students/scientists and juxtaposition to the gathering homeless would have more effectively built the tension had there not been the drat synth rhythm playing the entire time. It's a film with potential that just never lets you really get absorbed by it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093777/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkfKUrwxPfQ

If I had the equipment and knowledge to spit and remove audio tracks from the film I would attempt to just to see what the film would be like. I'm sure the first act would be much more subdued, if not dull, but I think that is kind of necessary for how the movie builds it's tension. It is supposed to be a slow boil, but it comes off as just tepid.

As for the best movie bundle deal, the best one I've come across is this pile. It has two of the movies that both got me into bad horror and reading SA. Slaughter High is one of the strangest slasher films ever, though it does have one of my favorite kill sequences ever. I just love how they actually use the character trope of "the strong man" as part of the set up and execution of the lawnmower death. The other is Chopping Mall, if it isn't high god overlord of 80's schlock it certainly is in the highest pantheon of them, with it's absurd theme and absolutely ridiculous villain.

It has other gems on it and I found it for 5$ at Best Buy.

scary ghost dog posted:

I dunno, but the best croc/gator film is Lake Placid.

This is unequivocally false. The best croc/gator film is 1980's Alligator. It's a unabashed knock off of Jaws to the point of parody. Robert Forster plays a great lighthearted but gruff Chicago cop. The film is really stupid, but fun, with pretty good acting. I guess sort of like Lake Placid, but there will always be a place in my heart for Alligator.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Alligator rules and I was pleased to see that The Dark Knight 2 quotes it directly with a few shots.

Also, axleblaze I know you totally hate it and I can understand why given its intentionally irritating premise but Grave Encounters 2 kind of owns.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Jedit posted:

It's a great movie, let me know what you think of it. A brief warning, though (minor spoilers): :siren::supaburn: TROLLLLLLL!!!!!! :supaburn::siren:

If you do enjoy it and don't mind subtitles, you might also want to track down a Finnish movie in a similar vein called Rare Exports.

Oh, I don't mind subs at all! In fact, I was kind of aiming to basically have the classics (The Thing, Shining, Rosemary's Baby, etc) and obscure/foreign horror. My personal opinion when it comes to horror is they're usually better outside North America, especially the French lately. I've been seeing more and more Spanish horror that I've really enjoyed as well, [REC] and Atrocious being the best examples of this.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Also, axleblaze I know you totally hate it and I can understand why given its intentionally irritating premise but Grave Encounters 2 kind of owns.

Grave Encounters 2 is a movie that's so bad that I kind of come close to liking it again. The problem is the first 20 minutes are dull and kind of unbearable with it's constant winking at the audience while the like the last 30 minutes are so silly that I almost like it but the winking is happening even stronger and in a much more convoluted way so it just brings it all down.

There is like 10-15 minutes in the middle that are pretty good though. I've seen worse found footage movies...hell I've seen a worse one in the last month.

Edit: by the way, I made a V/H/S 2 thread if anyone is interested.

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Apr 20, 2013

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
There's almost surely a worse FF movie for every day of the year.

Anyway, I find myself enjoying it much more just going along with the silly premise, it's totally a found footage movie about the thought process behind making found footage movies that then turns into a found footage movie. It's a movie about a movie that wants itself to be made, there's so many cameras pulling out of camera footage that it almost seems like it's making fun of the idea of a meta horror movie. It's like double secret irony. It doesn't hurt that it's totally better than the first movie which is lame as hell.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

It doesn't hurt that it's totally better than the first movie which is lame as hell.

See, this I disagree with. The first one ruled. It had a really great atmosphere, a bunch of cool effective tricks and it made fun of paranormal investigators. It had some effects so awful that it even took me out of it, but I can deal with that. I found the only really effective parts of GE2 were just kind of using stuff from the first film.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

Toriori posted:

What are your favorite movies that you physically own? I want to expand my DVD collection of horror but I don't even know where to start! I really like foreign horror, supernatural/haunted house/monster...not crazy about lots of torture and gore though. I just thought this would be the best place for suggestion v:shobon:v

Here's some of my (mostly) goreless faves off the top of my head, will probably add to it later :shobon: :

Nosferatu (Herzog)
I Walked With A Zombie
Cat People (1942)
Dracula: Prince of Darkness
The House on Haunted Hill (1959)
Witchfinder General
The Devil Rides Out
Kuroneko
Kwaidan
The Phantom Carriage
Faust (silent, Murnau)

And of course the Universal Monsters Boxset but I figure you probably already know about those

e: I totally forgot The Wicker Man (Christopher Lee version) which is an all time top favorite

leokitty fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Apr 20, 2013

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

axleblaze posted:

See, this I disagree with. The first one ruled. It had a really great atmosphere, a bunch of cool effective tricks and it made fun of paranormal investigators. It had some effects so awful that it even took me out of it, but I can deal with that. I found the only really effective parts of GE2 were just kind of using stuff from the first film.

This is surely the source of the difference, yeah. I like that Grave Encounters 2 has an actor from the first movie ranting in a hovel like Renfield and looking at an iPad like a caveman. I also love that [REC] 2 is a comedy-horror sequel to [REC].

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I remember not liking [REC]2 but for the life of me I can't even remember why.

Do we at least agree that [REC]3 is a gigantic piece of poo poo?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, I don't particularly care for [REC]3 even if I get what they were trying to do.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
There is something about the end of Prince of Darkness that is still really effective and unsettling to me though. I don't know what. It's the part that shows the full vision from the brotherhood of sleep. Good lord that's frightening and I don't know why.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Free Drinks posted:

Carpenter attempts to have the film take its self more seriously than most of his previous films and it could have worked had it not so easily eroded every ounce of anxiety with each note.

Without getting into the rest of it, what in the world makes you think this about a movie where Alice Cooper impales someone with one of his stage props, Satan possesses people by peeing/cumming green poo poo in their mouths, and when SCIENCE fails to defeat the power of evil, the priest turns to a fire axe? It's a really funny movie. It's much funnier and less "serious" in the sense I think you mean it than most of Carpenter's prior films, with the exception of Big Trouble and They Live! It's about on par with Dark Star in that respect.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I've always thought the complementary "new monsters" in They Live and Prince of Darkness were super cool.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Blinky13 posted:

You should watch both of those right away. Also, anything Korean - Tale of Two Sisters is great, and I'm sure someone here can come up with a dozen more. Koreans seem to like ghost stories a lot more than Americans. I also liked the original One Missed Call a lot - it's sort of a mainstream horror/ghost story by Miike, which you don't see that much from him. Maybe the original Dark Water, too. I definitely prefer it to the remake. It isn't super scary, but it conveys a really unsettling atmosphere very well.
I blew through a ton of these on Netflix back when I still had the DVD subscription, and the standouts I really remembered were Acacia and Face, both pretty solid ghost stories. Some more that stuck with me but I didn't love as much were Cello (ghost story with revenge and punishment themes, has a pretty intense and chilling ending) and going back towards the beginning of the Korean horror movie wave, Whispering Corridors, a ghost tale that also delves into commentary on the brutal South Korean education system.

This is surely the source of the difference, yeah. I like that Grave Encounters 2 has an actor from the first movie ranting in a hovel like Renfield and looking at an iPad like a caveman. I also love that [REC] 2 is a comedy-horror sequel to [REC].
[REC] 2 was a lot of fun, I especially liked how it starts off as a humble, naive little found footage movie, and then about 20 minutes in, it completely switches it up. It's like the movie itself destroyed that little handheld camera so it could jump into a real movie with professional lighting and scoring.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Whispering Corridors is a really good one.

RightClickSaveAs posted:

[REC] 2 was a lot of fun, I especially liked how it starts off as a humble, naive little found footage movie, and then about 20 minutes in, it completely switches it up. It's like the movie itself destroyed that little handheld camera so it could jump into a real movie with professional lighting and scoring.

Grave Encounters 2 does the exact same thing, it even steals a couple of tricks from Chronicle.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

axleblaze posted:

I've seen worse found footage movies...hell I've seen a worse one in the last month.

Edit: by the way, I made a V/H/S 2 thread if anyone is interested.

Unrelated, I hope?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Quoting my post about Isolation in the chat thread, because it's seriously great and you should watch it:

A human heart posted:

Has anyone seen an irish horror film called Isolation? i just watched it and it rules. It's got some really beautiful shots and I don't think I've ever seen a mundane setting like a farm imbued with such dread. There's an incredibly tense scene of a cow giving birth, it's amazing.

They succeed in making this milking shed or whatever it is look like some kind of laboratory or something.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
^that one sounds interesting, I'd like to check it out

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I blew through a ton of these on Netflix back when I still had the DVD subscription, and the standouts I really remembered were Acacia and Face, both pretty solid ghost stories. Some more that stuck with me but I didn't love as much were Cello (ghost story with revenge and punishment themes, has a pretty intense and chilling ending) and going back towards the beginning of the Korean horror movie wave, Whispering Corridors, a ghost tale that also delves into commentary on the brutal South Korean education system.

I watched the original Dark Water yesterday and I found it a lot more sad than I did scary, maybe I'd find the remake scarier? That said, Asians like their ghost stories, and they make for some pretty creepy films. I watched Death Bell on Netflix and really enjoyed it. I agree with [REC]2, it was definitely a fun watch and I enjoyed it a lot.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Is The Citadel worth watching? I started it last night and fell asleep. Seems like it could go either way from the brief moments I caught..

I can safely say this movie is not worth watching. drat.

Baller Witness Bro fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 20, 2013

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
RE: Lords Of Salem

I am impressed that this movie got wide distribution. This is Rob Zombies Beyond The Black Rainbow or Hobo With A Shotgun or Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

I am impressed that this movie got wide distribution. This is Rob Zombies Beyond The Black Rainbow or Hobo With A Shotgun or Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning.

Wow.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Is it's distribution that wide? It's playing almost nowhere near me and I'm in the Boston area.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I assume anything played at an AMC has reasonably wide distribution but I'm probably wrong.

Some future forumgoer will be talking about it like we talked about Nightmares Of A Damaged Brain or whatever.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
You mean with great respect and adulation, because Nightmare/Nightmare in a Damaged Brain is one of the greatest movies ever made?

Mona Lisa Overdrive
May 7, 2006
Calculus Enthusiast
I watched Lords of Salem last night and I am still trying to parse what I saw. Like most Rob Zombie films I found it generally uneven. Sometimes the grainy look was wonderful, sometimes it was distracting. The sound design and music swung from brilliant to inept and back again. However, in the end I think I have to like it because it was just so surreal. I will never forget some of the imagery in this film and to me that's worth a lot when the average horror movie today is so generic I forget I've even seen it after a year or so. Also, I really liked the premise and thought the plot was well-realized even though, as some mentioned above, it was a little unfocused and self-indulgent at times.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

I was on the fence about seeing it, but the posts here and all the negative reviews on those aggregate sites have made up my mind, I'm definitely watching Lords of Salem. I live in a total flyover state, but two of the major chain theaters nearby are playing it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

You mean with great respect and adulation, because Nightmare/Nightmare in a Damaged Brain is one of the greatest movies ever made?

Don't be silly! I'm glad that the "Grindhouse" aesthetic has produced a bunch a movies that aren't winking or ironic. Amazing use of Meg Foster.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

axleblaze posted:

Is it's distribution that wide? It's playing almost nowhere near me and I'm in the Boston area.

I was going to tastelessly suggest that it hasn't opened because Boston was on lockdown.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I don't know if Lords of Salem is even playing in my town but I'll watch it eventually for sure. I might check out the book too, but I already have a feeling it isn't going to knock my socks off.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

axleblaze posted:

There is like 10-15 minutes in the middle that are pretty good though.

I'm curious what 10-15 minutes you're referring to, because I feel the same. For me it's escaping from the HUGE ghost and then the fantastic elevator reveal.

Though there are a couple neat ideas in it too, like how the Vicious Brothers are just two interns, and Lance's demonstrations of how the hospital's shifting works. I also like some of the camera tricks it uses to play with the found footage format. Otherwise it's vastly inferior to the first, which despite being derivative, I enjoyed a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Just watched The Innkeepers on Netflix, meh. I think the first half being all gen-x/y/hipster slackumentary made me too jaded so once the stuff starts happening I was all "pfft, whatever I saw this jumpscare before it was cool".