Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

welcome to my hot character workshop where i look at your character and tell you where you can improve

hmm looks like you're a cyclone berserker, the first thing I would do is level a raider and then run blade flurry with astramentis and two howa

nice necromancer looks good to me but you could really improve that build by leveling a raider and running blade flurry with astramentis and two howa

Is astrsmentis that good for howa aside from the massive int bonus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

interrodactyl posted:

More bonus damage and attack speed from Astra, plus the boost from scaling on the Hands, and your ES is boosted by the Int anyway.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

interrodactyl posted:

Astramentis adds similar damage to a neck with 50+ int, WED and %lightning, and only slightly less ES than an amulet with int, +es and %es. You CAN get a better rare but it's going to be very expensive, and the str is really nice for fixing stat issues.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/StashAugustine/characters

Just bricked a Oba's earlier. What should I prioritize on gear or am I just bad?

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Anyone know how low the prices of Emperor's Wit and Emperor's Mastery are expected to fall? Currently around 6-8ex for starting.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

So I picked up the game the other day and sat down to play it tonight. I've heard it compared a LOT (And I mean constantly) to Diablo 2, which I loved tremendously because the Necromancer was awesome, so I'm going to be comparing it to Diablo 2 in this post.

First, the skill gem system is kinda stupid. I can see what they were going for with giving skills the ability to level up, but the problem here is twofold. The first problem is it means you can outlevel skills to the point where you can no longer use them which is retarded. The second is that it doesn't give a player a clear idea of what skills will eventually be available to them without resorting to 3rd party info (IE : Out-of-game websites).

In contrast, the Diablo 2 skill trees were visible from the get-go and players could see what skills were unlocked by what, when, what they did, etc. You could see what skills would synergize with others, and so on. That felt a lot more intuitive and user friendly.

Second, what exactly is the benefit of having one passive skill tree for all classes? It honestly feels a bit lazy, that they couldn't create individual stuff for individual classes like 90% of other games out there. I get that the skills themselves are unique and it's only the passives that are in the tree, but it still seems a little odd that when you open up the skill tree for, say, the Marauder that all the +Skeleton and +zombie skills for the witch are not only there but can be selected. And AFAIK the Marauder can't ever get those gems so what's the point of having those nodes there at all?

It also seems extremely weirdly laid out. I was looking into skills for my witch to determine what to get and where to go, and trying to find any skills in that horrendous mess is a nightmare. I do understand that eventually experienced players will learn the tree better and know where to go for what, but for a new player it's so overwhelming (even just focusing on 1 stat path) that it gets a little frustrating. As a witch, why do I have to go in two completely opposite directions to get skeleton/zombie buffs? Just because grouping them up (Which would make oh so much more sense) would result in me not spending as many points?

I don't mind randomized zones personally, but I DEFINITELY do mind the fact that the zones changed multiple times in a single game. If I log out and back in, sure, change all you want I don't care, but If I go to town to sell poo poo then go back to the zone why does it suddenly need a new layout??

The lack of any gold threw me at first, since I never had any trouble getting enough identification scrolls and such. I do wonder how the economy works later on? (Not a critique just musing out loud)

Flasks are an interesting change from the D2 style potions, and since I always hated micromanaging those drat belts I rather like the system.

The game does seem to be 3D and not 2D sprites (Or am I wrong?) but it also seems to have static animations for death and the like, which is not bad per se but after D3's physics system feels kind of lame and dated. I guess it's a style choice so I just wrote that off as personal preference.

I will grant that I've only really played through the first act so the game probably improves quite a lot, but by this same point in D2 I was hooked and loving it and looking forward to all the new stuff yet PoE doesn't dangle new things in front of me like D2 did to keep my interest. It feels more like a slog than D2 did (Though that might be simple rose-tinted hindsight talking there) and while it improves on a lot of D2 stuff it also feels like a few steps back at the same time.

Just my impressions so far.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
I recently replayed D2

POE can't be a slog like D2 because in D2 - while leveling without twink gear - you move super slow and whites don't die in one hit whereas you can race in POE if you know what you are doing

POE has quicksilvers and system mastery (like, the entire game as a system), D2 has neither and is worse for it imo

Goa Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jan 13, 2017

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

khy posted:

First, the skill gem system is kinda stupid. I can see what they were going for with giving skills the ability to level up, but the problem here is twofold. The first problem is it means you can outlevel skills to the point where you can no longer use them which is retarded.
You can't really unless you change gear to no longer have the required stats (int/str/dex)

quote:

Second, what exactly is the benefit of having one passive skill tree for all classes? It honestly feels a bit lazy, that they couldn't create individual stuff for individual classes like 90% of other games out there.
Look up Ascendancies. http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Ascendancy_class Secondly, You have to think of it as, like in D2, you all have the same stat upgrades Energy Vit Strength Dex. Lazy Blizzard right?

quote:

I get that the skills themselves are unique and it's only the passives that are in the tree, but it still seems a little odd that when you open up the skill tree for, say, the Marauder that all the +Skeleton and +zombie skills for the witch are not only there but can be selected. And AFAIK the Marauder can't ever get those gems so what's the point of having those nodes there at all?
You can always buy it on a witch or buy it from someone or get it as a drop. A Marauder could definitely get those gems.

quote:

It also seems extremely weirdly laid out. I was looking into skills for my witch to determine what to get and where to go, and trying to find any skills in that horrendous mess is a nightmare. I do understand that eventually experienced players will learn the tree better and know where to go for what, but for a new player it's so overwhelming (even just focusing on 1 stat path) that it gets a little frustrating. As a witch, why do I have to go in two completely opposite directions to get skeleton/zombie buffs? Just because grouping them up (Which would make oh so much more sense) would result in me not spending as many points?
Think about other RPGs do you get a bunch of +summons or skills learned all in a row? It's to mirror that you learn a skill or get some bigger bonus every few levels instead of "here you go you got every single skeleton thing"

quote:

I don't mind randomized zones personally, but I DEFINITELY do mind the fact that the zones changed multiple times in a single game. If I log out and back in, sure, change all you want I don't care, but If I go to town to sell poo poo then go back to the zone why does it suddenly need a new layout??
Zones time out typically after like 15 minutes, it's an online game.

quote:

The lack of any gold threw me at first, since I never had any trouble getting enough identification scrolls and such. I do wonder how the economy works later on? (Not a critique just musing out loud)
you just trade the common in demand currencies, Chaos + Exalts, typically (or convert to them)

Kild fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jan 13, 2017

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Out-leveling skill gems: Yeah, it sometimes sucks if you don't have the stats to level them up, but usually it's a temporary problem solved either by leveling up to get more passive stats or to be able to equip something that provides said stats.
Needing outside reference material: It's not like everything you needed to know about Diablo 2 was provided in-game, but it can be a bit much.
The one passive tree to rule them all: I think part of your problem is that you're thinking about classes/skills very rigidly. This game lets you make a witch that uses bows or a spell casting Marauder and have them be perfectly viable (if you know what you're doing). Having one skill tree and not clumping every single related passive into a tiny section of it makes that possible. The Ascendancies (as Kild pointed out above) massively open up what each class is capable of.
Economy: Generally speaking, stuff is traded in Orbs of Alteration ("gently caress I just want this thing out of my stash"), Orbs of Alchemy, Chaos Orbs (your main currency) and Exalted Orbs (:10bux:). Those first three can be generated from vendor recipes (most everything that's not a Normal item sells for Alt shards). As far as actually trading stuff goes, you may be tempted to use Trade chat. Don't. Only sadness lies that way. Use this instead. It indexes all of the items tagged for sale in people's stashes and allows you to search all of it for what you need. However, you probably don't need to trade for gear until Merciless.
2D or 3D: Models are all 3D. You are right that the animations are static and not ragdoll like D3.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jan 13, 2017

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

khy posted:

The first problem is it means you can outlevel skills to the point where you can no longer use them which is retarded.

No you can't, unless you change your skill bonuses from gear. The game will not let you level a skill to a point where you can't use it. Unless you mean you can hit a point where you don't have the stats to level a skill so it stays too weak to use. That can absolutely happen, but you can fix that with your passive tree and gear.

quote:

In contrast, the Diablo 2 skill trees were visible from the get-go and players could see what skills were unlocked by what, when, what they did, etc. You could see what skills would synergize with others, and so on. That felt a lot more intuitive and user friendly.

Of all the things PoE is going for, "intuitive" and "user friendly" are not it :)

quote:

Second, what exactly is the benefit of having one passive skill tree for all classes? It honestly feels a bit lazy, that they couldn't create individual stuff for individual classes like 90% of other games out there. I get that the skills themselves are unique and it's only the passives that are in the tree, but it still seems a little odd that when you open up the skill tree for, say, the Marauder that all the +Skeleton and +zombie skills for the witch are not only there but can be selected. And AFAIK the Marauder can't ever get those gems so what's the point of having those nodes there at all?

The problem is that you're looking at the passive tree all wrong. There's no such thing as a "Witch passive" or "Marauder passive"

Any class can do anything, some are just more efficient than others for certain things, but Ascendancy can influence that heavily.

And every class can use every gem, they just may not be able to buy it from a vendor or get it from a quest. So it's perfectly possible to build a Marauder summoner, and those nodes would then apply.

quote:

Because you took so long that the zone closed. You're not in a single player game, they can't leave zones open forever.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
i speculate that what op means with "outlevelling gems" is that you can level so far that level 1 gems are completely useless at say the start of act 2. which is countered by two points: the magic vendor also sells levelled gems that mostly keeps up with your character level, and the xp scaling is that it's quite easy for an underlevelled gem to catch up with your character level

i say this because this is a mistake i made when first playing

also, levelling as a summoner is a terrible idea that the game tempts you in to, it's a horrible noob trap

seriously the game really does need to guide new players into fun and effective builds because the alternatives are choice paralysis or running into a brick wall where you can't kill poo poo

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
The passive tree is definitely a mess and it's true that skills can be unintuitive(for a new player) as to when you will be able to use them. Unfortunately the game is intentionally designed in such a way that if you don't follow a guide, your first (few) character(s) will be crap past a certain point. Some people enjoy muddling through until they figure the systems out to some degree on their own. Personally I looked up a build for my second character. Hell I still look up builds before doing anything, mostly because I am bad at optimization and I don't play enough to bother putting in the effort.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Phobophilia posted:

i speculate that what op means with "outlevelling gems" is that you can level so far that level 1 gems are completely useless at say the start of act 2. which is countered by two points: the magic vendor also sells levelled gems that mostly keeps up with your character level, and the xp scaling is that it's quite easy for an underlevelled gem to catch up with your character level

i say this because this is a mistake i made when first playing

also, levelling as a summoner is a terrible idea that the game tempts you in to, it's a horrible noob trap

seriously the game really does need to guide new players into fun and effective builds because the alternatives are choice paralysis or running into a brick wall where you can't kill poo poo

I wouldn't say summoner is bad to begin with, you got a small army to fight for you while you can pick over the loot and these days you got a lot of options, you got your various zombies that can be modified in a few ways and then you can either have super ghosts or flaming skull spam or 60+ skeletons or animating a buttload of weapons.
Plus for starting out it's rather straight forward what you need to get passive tree and ascendancy wise and you don't really need a guide if you can just figure out the shortest path to the minion nodes.

khy posted:

So I picked up the game the other day and sat down to play it tonight. I've heard it compared a LOT (And I mean constantly) to Diablo 2, which I loved tremendously because the Necromancer was awesome, so I'm going to be comparing it to Diablo 2 in this post.

I'd say stick with it for a bit, act 1 can be a bit of a slog until the prison and the game really picks up around act 3 I'd say, especially since you can specialize into a necromancer class from the witch if you find the 6 trials to open the labyrinth, which is one of my favorite areas with decently fun traps and puzzles decent loot and great voice acting.

Check the vendor that sells flasks in town for the second page of stuff they sell for a whole bunch of skill gems, it's easy to miss if you don't know it's there.

Not having gold is great because in games like these you either need a tremendous gold sink or it becomes worthless like in diablo and eventually the game turns into a barter economy anyway because you can't buy anything with the 500 billion gold everyone has.

You will probably need the wiki now and then and they could do to add some user friendly features like a search bar in the passive tree so you could find all the minion related passives by typing in "minion" in the bar, but there are websites with build planners with those exact features, again it's outside the game, but not a big deal in the end and you'll start to get game knowledge as you play that'll speed things up on followup plays.

The passive tree being the same for every class, aside from the 3 unique specialized ascendancy classes for the six starting classes and 1 big one for the scion, will make sense when you realize the variety of builds people make that can span the passive tree heavily, some examples off the top of my head of some builds that were strong and viable and not what you'd expect of the class, strength based bow marauder, fire caster marauder, caster ranger, elemental bow templar, I myself once made a duelist spark caster and max block tanky witch.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Jan 13, 2017

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Basically the ascendency classes are a way of exclusively customizing a build in a certain way. For instance, if you want to go 2-hand axe cyclone, you have options like juggernaut for defence, berserker for pure deeps, slayer for area of effect, or raider for pure go-fast.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

khy posted:

This is all fine and dandy but you're not playing Diablo 2. I get that a lot of comparisons are made (especially to Eastern Sun) and that can skew your expectations and judgment but the whole point of playing PoE is playing PoE. It has its strengths and flaws and if you're looking at each individual system then PoE can be wildly different from D2, yes. So try to forget D2 and play the game again with a fresh perspective.

To iterate - PoE is a game that builds upon concepts that are typically employed by Roguelikes. D1 is very reminiscent of Rogue (it was even supposed to be turn-based), and D2 builds upon it. PoE decided to build upon elements of Roguelikes, not just D1 and D2. This means a lot of the game is meant to feel exploratory, with a high degree of random elements that are a lot less predictable. You're not supposed to feel in control of the game like you're playing an arcade - when I stay one year away from PoE and I come back, it feels like I'm playing Binding of Isaac for the first time again. Lots of strange features that pop up only here and then, making your journey less predictable and, at least for me, more exciting.

If those things are not thrilling for you, D3 is a pretty good game for a more straightforward, controlled arcade play with a ladder for competing. If you prefer something in-between rather than these extremes, I'm afraid your best bet is to wait until D2 HD is announced.

khy posted:

It's a bit of a stretch to call it lazy, but I understand where you're coming from. Still, it'd be a lot less work to cut that skill tree in chunks and distribute the skills in it like they do in other games.

The Passive Tree is a carbon copy of Final Fantasy X's Sphere Grid, hence the thread title. When the game was released it was a game design trend to abolish classes and that the cool thing was for everything to be cosmetic, so everything is available to everyone. The game is about customization and being open in that aspect, nothing is set in stone. With that said, all things were not equal, since you're still forced towards some path early on and some classes are better than others. If that's still too minor for you, the classes can now choose ascendancies (the sphere grid within a sphere grid).

The tree itself is pretty huge and the fact it's one single huge system affects theorycrafting a lot. The PoE tree, unlike almost every other game that I've played, is as close to unsolvable as it can be. Just because you don't get the necromancer gems as a reward, doesn't mean you can't become a Marauder necromancer if you buy them from other players. New builds pop up every now and then, crappy low level uniques sold cheaply skyrocket in value as someone finds a use for them in a high-end build. I think it was last season that the first 10 players to reach max level each played a very different build. It can be pretty fun.

quote:

First, the skill gem system is kinda stupid. I can see what they were going for with giving skills the ability to level up, but the problem here is twofold. The first problem is it means you can outlevel skills to the point where you can no longer use them which is retarded. The second is that it doesn't give a player a clear idea of what skills will eventually be available to them without resorting to 3rd party info (IE : Out-of-game websites).

The skill system copies Final Fantasy VII's materia system. You can see where this is going.

The system is pretty flexible, though. Again, it's a completely different beast from D2's system. PoE wants you to customize it wildly and feel smart the first time you combine stuff in a clever way.

I agree that not knowing when you'll have access to what can be an annoyance. I also hate how you can outlevel the gems. It's meant to force you into making some strategic choices (like at which point you'll stop leveling Cast When Damage Taken, or if you should take some points in Dexterity in the tree instead of Strength, etc) but I sincerely don't find it enjoyable at all.

quote:

It's a huge, gigantic can of worms. This is the short story version of it. There are some advantages and a lot of disadvantages. Some people like it, a lot of people hate it, some people are not bothered, but everyone is affected by it.

quote:

The game does seem to be 3D and not 2D sprites (Or am I wrong?) but it also seems to have static animations for death and the like, which is not bad per se but after D3's physics system feels kind of lame and dated. I guess it's a style choice so I just wrote that off as personal preference.

This game is full 3D. It has static animations. A lot of people ask for ragdoll animations regularly so I'd imagine they intend to do it eventually. It's very hard to compete with Blizzard's production values, though. PoE can be very pretty (and at times very ugly) for their budget and artistic style, but you're probably never gonna see PoE evolve to the same standard as a Blizzard game.

quote:

I will grant that I've only really played through the first act so the game probably improves quite a lot, but by this same point in D2 I was hooked and loving it and looking forward to all the new stuff yet PoE doesn't dangle new things in front of me like D2 did to keep my interest. It feels more like a slog than D2 did (Though that might be simple rose-tinted hindsight talking there) and while it improves on a lot of D2 stuff it also feels like a few steps back at the same time.

You need to let go of your D2 expectations and play PoE for what it is. You might love it, you might hate it. A lot of the systems are what they are on purpose, and PoE is a bit like Dark Souls or Eve Online in that regard. This means that the game is not for everyone and it'll never be as famous as, say, D2 or D3. But I'm pretty sure that long after D3 has died out PoE will still have a fanbase going for it (as will D4).

Elentor fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jan 13, 2017

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Elentor posted:

But I'm pretty sure that long after D3 has died out PoE will still have a fanbase going for it (as will D4).

Well that's pretty much guaranteed unless blizzard starts making D3 content again but the necro doesn't feel like the start of something rather the end. So no money stream vs a cosmetics money stream.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
ragdolling isn't going to happen because corpse mechanics are a pretty big part of the game, and dropping the corpse at a random distance way from you and the mob's original position is going to get messy. just off the top of my head, you can consume them for buffs, summon minions from them, blow up corpses, chain blow them up. the solution ggg went with was simply dropping the corpses at the location of the mob's death

afaik diablo 3 necromancer handled the corpse resource by instancing them so they were always available for the person playing the necro, while flashy ragdolling was observed on other player's client

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
PoE has a lot of content and a lot of depth and you cannot even begin to compare it to D2 (a game that you probably played for thousands of hours) after playing for one night. There is a steep learning curve to PoE.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

interrodactyl posted:

its bis for a few reasons
1. it's a shitload of int which gives you more ES and more damage
2. you need the +dex and +str to equip half of your gems because you're converting the passive tree dex/str into int with unique jewels

@the new poe v d2 poster:
d2's mechanics and skill trees are insanely outdated and don't hold a candle to the amount of customization and replayability of poe. it's whole design philosophy is to not make the same mistakes d2 did (skill tree synergy being simple and really really boring, +skills being the top and really only best stat on items, gold being worthless, set items being babbys first build and not very fun at all either)

ill play d2 again when I can do this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fwogkq7Y9eE&t=71s

Unexpected
Jan 5, 2010

You're gonna need
a bigger boat.
Hi. A quick question. Let's say that two characters, close in level to each other, enter an area/map. One stays put at the entrance and the other starts moving and killing mobs. Will the one moving gain more XP even if the other one is stationary and far? I'm wondering if I could speed leveling up.

Thank you.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
There is an effective exp share range so once the first character is a few screens away they will get all the exp and the stationary character will get none.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Unexpected posted:

Hi. A quick question. Let's say that two characters, close in level to each other, enter an area/map. One stays put at the entrance and the other starts moving and killing mobs. Will the one moving gain more XP even if the other one is stationary and far? I'm wondering if I could speed leveling up.

Thank you.

instead of answering that question I'll answer the question you're really asking: just have someone get you waypoints and murder bosses to a1 ledge a3 dock or a4 lake and that will be much faster than any other method. you can get to 77 in lake at 90%+ experience

Unexpected
Jan 5, 2010

You're gonna need
a bigger boat.
Thank you both. Both characters are around level 80 and I actually care about the one moving, not stationary. So - if I'm understanding you correctly, monsters will be tougher and yield more XP and the character that moves (and the one I care about) will get all the XP, correct?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Unexpected posted:

Thank you both. Both characters are around level 80 and I actually care about the one moving, not stationary. So - if I'm understanding you correctly, monsters will be tougher and yield more XP and the character that moves (and the one I care about) will get all the XP, correct?

no, otherwise everyone would just do that lol

clear speed is king just kill monsters, my dude and don't worry about maybe a potential 1% xp gain

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009
FWIW I really didn't like the game until my 3rd or 4th character that I'd brought through Merc. ~My boyfriend~ still massively prefers D3 over PoE despite playing almost every league I've played in.

My first character (which also happened to be a summoner :haw:) was absolute poo poo, despite following a guide. I put the game down for more than a year and it took a lot of goading from my coworker to give this game another shot. I do think it's a problem that I had a similar experience -- it didn't 'hook' me on the first playthrough -- and I think the 'just wait, this game gets better' sentiment is a lazy excuse. A player shouldn't have to invest 50+ hours into the game before deciding that they, maybe, may or may not like the game.

khy posted:

skill tree stuff

This isn't exactly what you're saying, but your skill tree talk made me think about user experience. Many games nowadays confuse complexity with depth. Complexity for the sake of complexity is just off-putting, and too many games give the illusion of choice and depth where only a couple handful of builds are even viable. Early on, I definitely wrote PoE off as one of these games.

I feel like the sphere grid is an example of bad offender. It, on its own, isn't even that complicated (and definitely not where the bulk of the depth lies, although it obviously interacts with the complex systems in a very direct way) -- once you're familiar with it, it's just a series of major and minor clusters connected with a bunch of stat nodes. But it looks absolutely daunting and overwhelming to a new player. It looks more busy and overwhelming than it actually is, which is the exact opposite of basic UX principles. I'm not sure how to fix this, how to present the grid in a more sane way without cutting away any of the underlying meat of it, but that's why I leave the hard UX problems to the actual experts.

khy posted:

Personally, this game's appeal for me is that I feel like there's always something to learn. Every time I feel like I got a grasp on things, and I totally got this on my next character, I'm surprised by another can of worms that I manage to uncover. I try to play a drastically different build every time, and every time I start a new character now, I feel like a complete noob. I pick fights I shouldn't and roll map mods I shouldn't, until I learn what the weaknesses and limitations of my build are.

I think the game does a poor job of communicating its actual depth, and it wasn't until my 3rd or 4th character (incidentally, when I started liking the game!) that I actually realized this. My first character sucked, but I, as a new player, did not know why. Was the game poorly tuned and balanced? Was the game just plain poorly designed? Did I follow a bad build guide? Did I play poorly? Did I make poor gearing decisions? Was this game just extremely difficult? Some games give you an immediate sense of areas you can improve on, which I initially never got with this game.

It never gave me a sense that there was more there to learn, which I suspected was why it failed to hook me. You really had to go out of your way to look for the depth yourself, before you actually find it.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Unexpected posted:

The monsters will be tougher, but yield no extra XP.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

khy posted:

You'll get a better feel for the skill gem system once you discover support gems and, especially, triggers. It, along with the ascendancy trees, really makes this a game with nearly infinite build possibilities.

Diablo 3 got rid of all of its fun but obscure points in favor of "click on target and watch it die". Snapshotting cyclone, 0cd zombie dogs, etc. Path of Exile revels in these sorts of screwy skill/gear/ascendancy-node interactions that Blizzard has consigned to the "Too hard to understand, let's get rid of it" scrapbin.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?

Kytrarewn posted:

You'll get a better feel for the skill gem system once you discover support gems and, especially, triggers. It, along with the ascendancy trees, really makes this a game with nearly infinite build possibilities.

Diablo 3 got rid of all of its fun but obscure points in favor of "click on target and watch it die". Snapshotting cyclone, 0cd zombie dogs, etc. Path of Exile revels in these sorts of screwy skill/gear/ascendancy-node interactions that Blizzard has consigned to the "Too hard to understand, let's get rid of it" scrapbin.

Pretty much this. Once you pay enough attention to the build makers out there, it's easy start to agonize over every new content patch hoping to be the one who spots the next crazy interaction that breaks the game until the next balance pass.

It's pretty great and lends well to the game's longevity. Even if they stopped adding and tweaking content now, there would still be hundreds to thousands of hours of gameplay combinations to keep the community busy.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

So I hit 40 challenges, level 96, and am able to kill all of the end-game bosses which means I am pretty much done with the league. Overall I thought Breach was an awesome mechanic and I really hope they make it part of the base game and don't just make it a Zana mod or Prophecy. I went with Essence Drain Occultist this league and didn't really follow a guide, but I did read about the interaction between Soul Strike and Wicked Ward which is why I chose Occultist. I had a lot of fun playing the build, and it was my first real attempt at an ES character so it took me a while to get used to the playstyle. The biggest thing I learned is that Temporal Chains is massively OP, and I don't think I will ever be able to play a caster without it after having used it this league (I didn't start using it until like level 89 or something stupid). I also got to dip my toes into crafting this league, getting my non-zana masters to level 8 and trying to craft a bunch of Delirium bows. I never did craft one that was better than my starter bow I got 2 days into the league, but I did make a sick +3 skills decay bow for CA that I sold for 30ex. I also crafted two really nice chaos damage rings and a nice set of gloves. I had a ton of fun this league and I am really excited for the new expansion. Here is a link to my profile if anyone wants to see how I built my character (Nasty_Woman): https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Kumbo

I respec'd out of some ES nodes just to make my tooltip dps bigger, but when I was actually mapping I was between 10k and 10.4k ES.

Edit - heres a video of chalupa breach/boss: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmJSJEHgC8U

soscannonballs fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jan 13, 2017

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

My earthquake guy, level 42 (CiaphasCalifornia :v:) has less duration and rapid decay in his EQ link, but I can still usually get off two swings before the first one actually goes off. Should I be swinging and waiting for the quake, or swinging as fast as possible against bosses? Feels like the latter is correct.

Also should I get the gore MTX y/n

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
Smash the ground as often as possible, really. You may not get an aftershock for each initial swing, but each initial swing still does more damage. I'm sure there's some way to math out the breakpoint between when you should wait and just mash away, but gently caress it. Mashing away feels more natural.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

I'd start saving up MTX bucks for some cushier pack at the start of 3.0, to be honest.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Hey so I did a bunch of calculations with my current Doomfletch Pathfinder and there's some interesting things I found in terms of point efficiency. The lvl 89 tree I started with is here: http://poeurl.com/Z5e, and I was trying to decide which damage nodes to get from there for max efficiency. I'm valuing a jewel socket at 8% attack speed + 16% damage + 10% damage, since getting a 4th relevant mod starts getting very expensive.

I tried the following branches from that tree: 3 point jewel socket that gets 2 proj damage nodes, Harrier + the connected 3 point jewel socket through 3% attack speed nodes, Sniper, Will of Blades, Will of Blades + Coordination, and Throatseeker. For what it's worth, I think my character with the lvl 89 tree I linked is a reasonable template of what offensive stats a crit weapon build will have in the endgame while buffed (73% crit chance, 383% crit multi, 1807 accuracy, ~460% total increased damage, 95% increased attack speed). The ratios of how valuable the stats are will be slightly different for other characters, but I think those numbers come close to what most characters get. Also, crit multi should be slightly more valuable than what the PoB tool says, because PoB does not account for Diamond Flask and the accuracy crit chance penalty, which puts my real crit chance at about 86%. This only affects Throatseeker, which ends up actually like 20% more efficient than the reported number.

Here are the results: (my base dps with that tree is 58736, and this is damage per hit of TShot * attacks per second, obviously TShot hits a lot more than once per click):

Projectile Damage Jewel: 1907 dps/point
Aspect of Eagle: 2548 dps/point
Harrier + Jewel: 1904 dps/point
Sniper: 1631 dps/point
Will of Blades: 1922 dps/point
Will of Blades + Coordination: 2150 dps/point
Throatseeker: 2276 dps/point

I didn't get the numbers for 2 point Frenzy/Power charges, but know that they are really inefficient. Don't take them unless your build specifically gets other bonuses from the charges.

Aspect of Eagle is a big winner, which is surprising because I don't see people take that node on phys bow builds most of the time. It's actually an incredibly efficient node. Throatseeker is second best, first if you consider what I said about crit and PoB before, and I think it's pretty much always going to be worthwhile on crit builds if you can reach it within 4 points unless you're an Assassin with really high multi already (like 450+ without it). Sniper is actually really awful and it appears that unless you need the projectile speed you should not be taking the node.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I'd start saving up MTX bucks for some cushier pack at the start of 3.0, to be honest.

Given the amount of time I've spent on this game at this point I'd feel ok spending money on a supporter pack both now AND later to be honest :v:

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Given the amount of time I've spent on this game at this point I'd feel ok spending money on a supporter pack both now AND later to be honest :v:

Well that's just silly, who would do that?

Oops...

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

$50 brings back the orb ladies, un-nerfed nudity, and beach baby

ftfy

Phobophilia posted:

I will fight you.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Ciaphas posted:

My earthquake guy, level 42 (CiaphasCalifornia :v:) has less duration and rapid decay in his EQ link, but I can still usually get off two swings before the first one actually goes off. Should I be swinging and waiting for the quake, or swinging as fast as possible against bosses? Feels like the latter is correct.

Thanks for this post. I've got a currently-earthquake guy at 42 myself, and while I thought of using reduced duration, rapid decay never even entered my mind.

What are you using for a weapon, out of curiosity? I'm using Geofri's Baptism, but given that it, too, is somewhat long in the tooth now, I'm starting to think that maybe I ought to go back to Wideswing for the hilarious AoE radius.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Blood Reaper -> Marohi

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Hrimnor's Dirge is 36, The Cauteriser is 40, and if you dont want uniques you should be able to find a rare 200+ phys dps axe or mace for a chaos or less to tide you over until Marohi at 54 or Primacy at 58.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bugsy posted:

Hrimnor's Dirge is 36, The Cauteriser is 40, and if you dont want uniques you should be able to find a rare 200+ phys dps axe or mace for a chaos or less to tide you over until Marohi at 54 or Primacy at 58.

Gonna second Cauteriser here. That thing is insanely good for leveling.

• Locked thread