Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Lol, ok. "Set aside five pieces" is the same as NO CANDY FOR THE CHILDREN.

I mean, that looks like one type of candy. I'm guessing she didn't want to put aside ten of one thing. Also, you keep focusing on the candy. Why do you people keep responding to that, instead of what I have consistently said I believe is the real problem? He basically gave his wife the finger and unilaterally did what he felt like doing without regard to her feelings. It doesn't matter if she can go buy candy, tomorrow. She didn't want to, and they gave out plenty to the kids. The husband is obviously the rear end in a top hat, here.

It is the gooniest take physically possible to be on the side of literally stealing candy from a baby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Bogus Adventure posted:

Is it hosed up that the husband didn't respect the wife's preferences? Yeah.

Is it hosed up that the wife cares more about candy than the children? Absolutely.

Then by that logic they're both gluttonous assholes because the husband said they had both already had like 10 pieces each beforehand.

Those scumbags should have sat outside their house, prostrated in dogeza, loudly apologizing to the next 20 children to walk by.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

dudeness posted:

She left you because you insist on calling it an IPA instead of just saying beer.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

bubblebee posted:

Why Did My Wife Leave Me? [40M] [38F]

TL;DR Wife of 10 years left me. I am well educated, wealthy, and good to our children. She says I have been poisoning my child, which is false.

Hello, reddit. I am facing quite a dilemma. My wife of 10 years has given me divorce papers and will not speak to me. She's taken my two children, a five year old boy and six year old girl. To say the least, I am heartbroken. I love my wife and kids and don't know what I did to deserve this. I'm in an empty home and am in tears. I've worked my whole life just to have a beautiful Family and I'm afraid it's all come crashing down.

It all started two days ago. I was having dinner with my daughter while my wife was downstairs watching TV. I was drinking an IPA. My daughter reached for my IPA and put it towards her mouth. I said, "alcohol is for adults! Not for you! Give that back." My daughter put her tongue in the beer and gave it a small taste, much to my dismay. She asked to take a real sip. Since I am a responsible father, I decided that yes, she should be allowed to have a sip. I do not want her to turn into an alcoholic later on in life. Allowing your children small portions of alcohol is actually a tool which will prevent them from rebelling and binge drinking when they're older.

So I sat back in my chair and watched carefully as she drank some IPA. Surprisingly, she liked it and she finished what I hadn't drank.

I told her that was it and that she needed to go to bed. She was walking a bit off, which I chalked up to the very low amount of alcohol in her system.

Instead, my daughter ran downstairs screaming "DaDDY GAVE ME BEER ! LOOK MOMMY I DRANK BEER!"

My wife thought it was a joke until she smelled my daughters breath. She shook my daughter saying "he GAVE it to you??"

My daughter nodded and seemed tipsy.

Ok, not good...

My wife became furious. At first she screamed, "you POISONED HER! YOU SICK MOTHERFUCKER!" She was hyperventilating. Jokingly, I offered my wife a beer to cool down. She didn't like that.

She packed bags in a rush, took my two kids, and fled the house. She didn't say one word despite my pleading.

I don't know what to do. Should I apologize for what I thought was an OK parenting choice, or let her go? She is beyond delusional.

This has all kind of autism vibes in it. Guessing this is just the anvil that broke the camel’s back.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Guy seems smart. I can definitely attest that none of the kids I knew in high school whose parents let them have beer grew up to be raging alcoholics.

But only because "grew up" implies gaining some form of maturity.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I could see offering your kid a sip of booze under the assumption that when they actually taste it they'll just pull a face and go "gross, no thanks" and stop asking

If they attempt to power through the whole bottle it is not good parenting to let them finish

a controversial and courageous take I know

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Kamikaze Raider posted:

Then by that logic they're both gluttonous assholes because the husband said they had both already had like 10 pieces each beforehand.

The difference is that already-eaten candy can't be given away, that would be gross and unsanitary. Also yeah, eating 10 pieces of candy in one sitting is pretty gluttonous

When costumed children come to the door you give them some candy if you have any, those are the very simple rules of Halloween. Setting aside candy for yourself to eat the next day makes no sense

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

If your kid isn't drinking a bottle of whiskey and smoking a pack a day by five they'll never be cool

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Kamikaze Raider posted:

Those scumbags should have sat outside their house, prostrated in dogeza, loudly apologizing to the next 20 children to walk by.

I never said the husband deserved sympathy. Both are pieces of poo poo. The wife just smells a bit fouler.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

They are absolutely both fatty pig people, yes, this is true, but that's no reason to deny the children further candy that hasn't even been eaten yet

Veni Vidi Ameche keeps talking about "the children" like they are a single entity that has already taken quite enough of YOUR CANDY already, it's weird. If a kid is at your door now, it's because you haven't given them any candy yet. It doesn't matter if you already gave some other kid some candy.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
In re :kav: dad, I'm thinking that giving the daughter beer was the straw that broke the camel's back. Based on his writing, he has a lovely opinion of his wife. It might be because he's pissed that she just left him, but I bet it's not.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Is this another american thing? drat, lettin' kids sips some wine or beer or whatever at that age is pretty normal for most places. My mom got drunk as poo poo and was throwing up at a party once because 6 year old her kept nicely asking the adults to "just taste of sip" of their wine at a party. Her parents just laughed and told everyone not to give her any more sips, no one was divorced or accused of malicious poisoning.

I mean drat I'd always squirt a bit of my grandma's box wine into my apple juice around that age. I thought I was sneaky as hell but the adults knew, they just kept an eye on me to make sure it was never more than a teaspoon or two.

Your 10 year old got buzzed once, no big deal. Giving her a sip was probably fine but take it away from her sooner next time, lesson learned, no need for drama.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

[fat-person voice]No Billy I already gave candy to 20 other children tonight and I wanted to save the remaining candy for myself. Ask some of the other kids if you can have some of their candy *slams the door*

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Bogus Adventure posted:

Is it hosed up that the wife cares more about candy than the children? Absolutely.
I would respect the desires of my wife that I know and care about and interact with daily over the desires of some random kids who I do not know from adam and will probably not see until the next halloween. Preferring to respect the stated desires of those close to me over the whims of those who are not is a strange concept, I'm sure, but it is one I stand behind!

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Yawgmoth posted:

I would respect the desires of my wife that I know and care about and interact with daily over the desires of some random kids who I do not know from adam and will probably not see until the next halloween. Preferring to respect the stated desires of those close to me over the whims of those who are not is a strange concept, I'm sure, but it is one I stand behind!

If your partners desires could be ascribed to a Disney villain perhaps reconsider this

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Is this another american thing? drat, lettin' kids sips some wine or beer or whatever at that age is pretty normal for most places. My mom got drunk as poo poo and was throwing up at a party once because 6 year old her kept nicely asking the adults to "just taste of sip" of their wine at a party. Her parents just laughed and told everyone not to give her any more sips, no one was divorced or accused of malicious poisoning.

I mean drat I'd always squirt a bit of my grandma's box wine into my apple juice around that age. I thought I was sneaky as hell but the adults knew, they just kept an eye on me to make sure it was never more than a teaspoon or two.

Your 10 year old got buzzed once, no big deal. Giving her a sip was probably fine but take it away from her sooner next time, lesson learned, no need for drama.

It is 100% a straw that broke the camels back and also not a great idea to let a small kid ingest some poison without both parents consent, even if she is the fairest in the land.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

It is 100% a straw that broke the camels back and also not a great idea to let a small kid ingest some poison without both parents consent, even if she is the fairest in the land.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yawgmoth posted:

"Yes honey of course I'll set these few more pieces of candy aside, I love you so much dear" *tosses a few more packages onto a dragon's hoard of candy that a huge chubby hand continuously grabs from*

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

What if you give your kid one of those alcoholic candies

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Don't you dare give my rum-filled-chocolates to those children! I WILL KILL YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

As I understand it, the underlying rationale for Europeans giving kids shandy or vin ordinaire or whatever is an understanding that the booze in question is so weak they won't actually get drunk from it. As the kind of guy who refuses to call an IPA a beer, this OP was probably drinking 8% ABV tallboys. Purposely giving a 6-year-old enough grown-up booze that they're visibly tipsy is a Bad Idea even if this incident is taken in isolation rather than assuming the OP's parenting judgment is bad enough that he does poo poo like this all the time, which seems like a reasonable assumption to me.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Blade Runner posted:

If your partners desires could be ascribed to a Disney villain perhaps reconsider this

"i want to save a handful of candy for myself" was what the bad lion in the lion king wanted, right?

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

QuarkJets posted:

Yes, that's correct. More children came when they only had the wife's candy left and the wife was like "don't you give any of my candy to the children!!"

No. It's not correct. Keeping 2% of the candy for yourself is not some insane greed-monster move. No child's Halloween was ruined for want of eight mini-chocolates at one house. It's ridiculous that people are so invested in pretending it is. It also has nothing to do with the husband treating his wife like a child, as if her wishes were optional things to be discarded because he felt like it.

LadyPictureShow posted:

It's a stupid problem with an easy fix.

You're right. It's a stupid problem. It's also not the important problem in that post.

Bogus Adventure posted:

She doesn't, though. They gave out hundreds of pieces of candy to many children. If that post said, "We bought 200 pieces of candy, and gave it all out," you'd think they were great people. Instead, they bought > 300, ate twenty, and the wife is now a villain because she asked for ten more? That makes no sense.

This is the just the dumbest thing. The husband treats his wife like a child, and completely disrespects her, and a bunch of people manage to get invested in proving that she could have bought more candy the next day.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
No he wanted it fir the hyenas

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

InediblePenguin posted:

"i want to save a handful of candy for myself" was what the bad lion in the lion king wanted, right?

"The candy is **mine**, I don't care WHAT the children want" - a rational adult

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
lmfao

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Like, in the case of BaronJutter's mom, there's "our wily six-year-old tricked us into accidentally letting her get drunk" and then there's "this six-year-old's father gave her enough beer to get her drunk, by himself, on purpose, for reasons he will not elaborate upon"

InediblePenguin posted:

"Mean Old Mr Goonson wants to keep all the Halloween candy for himself rather than giving it to the neighborhood children" could be the plot of a Halloween episode of some cartoon or other

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

From r/legaladvice:

quote:

I’ve been looking to settle down recently and met a gorgeous girl on tinder where we hit it off instantly and have been pursuing a relationship for the past 3 months. Yes, this includes the physical side (obviously before i found out her real age). We have discussed age-specific things before, and she has always seemed so well versed in her high school days and uni work that I never even noticed anything was up. The age on her profile is 19, and I never thought to doubt it because she looks about 20 anyway and has the maturity of someone around that age too. She asked me to grab some cash out of her wallet yesterday and I found an old ID with her real birth year on it— 2003. I haven’t confronted her on it, and personally have no idea how to even begin. I was falling in love with her and now I feel completely duped. Obviously I haven’t pursued any sexual stuff with her after I found out, but I am so heartbroken. I’m not a pedophile but really have no idea how to deal with this! Any advice is appreciated

TL;DR been unknowingly loving and falling in love with a 15 year old girl for the past 3 months.

The braces should have given things away. Did he give her any beer, though?

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Go buy some more loving candy it costs like five dollars

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

InediblePenguin posted:

As a kid Scar disappointed me. He got Mufasa dead and Simba exiled with the help of the hyenas. If he was a smart villain he would have turned on the hyenas after getting the throne knowing they would ruin the kingdom. If the hyenas tried to narc on him who are the lionesses going to believe?

Whew, I have been holding that rant inside for decades. Feels good to get it off my chest.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

No. It's not correct. Keeping 2% of the candy for yourself is not some insane greed-monster move.

I'd seriously divorce my wife if she tried to pull some poo poo like that, wouldn't even have to think twice.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Also there's fairly limited studies done but everything I just googled points to giving your kids sips in the hopes it will de-mystify booze and lay the foundation for a healthier drinking habits when they're adults doesn't quite work out. It seems to just make drinking a bit more normalized to them so they start earlier and heavier. I couldn't find if it helped in the long run though, just that kids who got sips started drinking for reals a few years before kids who were not.

So don't give your kids sips out of some idea that it will inoculate them to protect them from binge drinking later on. Give them sips to get them to shut up and go to bed, but make sure they don't narc on you to mom.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

From r/legaladvice:

Id probably call a lawyer to get your story straight before posting on reddit, but hey, I dont bang children

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

QuarkJets posted:

From r/legaladvice:

Now THIS is a person whose partner could be justifiably angry about the subject of candy

because she is a child

but actually this time

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Blade Runner posted:

Go buy some more loving candy it costs like five dollars

Do you live somewhere where the amount of candy is displayed outside of each house, and if the number drops by some amount without kids there, do you blow some kind of whistle and publicly shame them?

How the gently caress would the kids know if they ran out of candy because they gave it all out as opposed to eating it? Are they assholes if they didn't eat it, but underestimated the amount of traffic they were going to have and run out? What about people who don't care about halloween but ate some candy on that day? Are they horrible assholes because they should have saved that candy for the random kids that may come to their door?

Some of you people are seriously broken.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

i snatched a full shot of apricot brandy off the picnic table when i was a kid, downed it, and then slammed the glass down like marion in raiders of the lost ark lol

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yawgmoth posted:

Some nice children down the road have about 100 puppies, and my wife asked me to help her kidnap those puppies so that she could kill them and make a fur coat. I feel like this may cross a line but Yawgmoth assures me that it's better to respect the stated desires of those close to me over the whims of those who are not so I guess I'm shopping for ski masks and plastic tarps now

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I dunno if your perspective regarding who is or is not "invested" is 100% accurate here

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

slash stab posted:

Now THIS is a person whose partner could be justifiably angry about the subject of candy

because she is a child

but actually this time

:vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Kamikaze Raider posted:

Do you live somewhere where the amount of candy is displayed outside of each house, and if the number drops by some amount without kids there, do you blow some kind of whistle and publicly shame them?

How the gently caress would the kids know if they ran out of candy because they gave it all out as opposed to eating it? Are they assholes if they didn't eat it, but underestimated the amount of traffic they were going to have and run out? What about people who don't care about halloween but ate some candy on that day? Are they horrible assholes because they should have saved that candy for the random kids that may come to their door?

Some of you people are seriously broken.

This isn't like a hard and fast rule thing where if you don't buy a billion dollars worth of candy you're a monster

I can't imagine desperately hoarding a dollar's worth of loving candy while kids show up to your loving house trick or treating making you not broken