Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
You guys are amazing! Good to see the community is still strong.

Is the Discord link in the OP broken?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Red_Fred posted:

You guys are amazing! Good to see the community is still strong.

Is the Discord link in the OP broken?

It was. Just forgot to update it when corrected. Use this: https://discord.gg/KWvpA8S. Also put it in the OP.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Mar 6, 2017

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.
Difficulty has also been rebalanced, as of October 2016. The long-mooted extra difficulty to plug the gap between Overkill and Deathwish was brought in, and is called Mayhem. It is generally agreed that this difficulty is a bit of a mess because it's a fairly clumsy amalgamation of Overkill and the previous incarnation of Deathwish. The highest difficulty now is called One Down and is basically a mishmash of features aimed at making the game artificially hard. For example, on any other difficulty level you get 3 downs (+1 with the Aced version of the skill known as Nine Lives) before going into custody. On One Down - as the name implies - you get 1 (+1). All enemies have hugely increased health values and the common enemy - known as ZEAL SWAT - on this difficulty does 225 damage per hit.

The other difficulties were also changed in various ways. In general, spawning groups have changed. Before the rebalance tasers used to come with a pair of Blue SWAT. Now tasers spawn in groups of 4, and so do shields. Dozers come in pairs and cloakers are rarer than they used to be. The balaclava-clad HRT that used to appear in between assaults and rapidly down players with their bullshit missile-firing MP5s are gone (good riddance) and so are the veteran cops with similar nuke-armed AR-15s (good loving riddance too). They now only appear in special spawns. There are also in general many more enemies on all difficulties than before the rebalance.

All in all, your mileage may vary. A vast amount has been written about difficulty in Payday 2, with some justified criticisms as to how OD and its BS difficulty features locks people into specific builds. DW and below are still eminently beatable with a fair background in the game, though.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
I am sad that they made all melee not just non-onehitkill, but to the point where it's just money stack slapping.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Bootcha posted:

I am sad that they made all melee not just non-onehitkill, but to the point where it's just money stack slapping.

Yeah, personally I feel it's one of the most drastic nerfs they've done in this game. On even overkill, tans take five to seven smacks with the katana to demolish (keep in mind this was BEFORE the katana nerf, uuuuuuuuuugh), where before it used to be I could equip sociopath deck and pumping iron, and kill a tan in one to two hits on OVK. there's no point to melee builds any more, just take infiltrator, buzzer, and cop dom skills, much more effective.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
They added a new difficulty mask for One Down and there's an achievement to clear every heist on OD, except safe house raid and maybe one other. If you're a tryhard, stealth all of the OD maps that you can - stealth is identical to DW or even easier because they hosed up implementation of OD stealth. Vox has the details on that. The hardest OD maps are Goat Simulator and Lab Rats. Zeal SWAT guys not only do 255 damage per shot, they have perfect accuracy up to 60 meters. The sight lines of Goat Simulator mean that you can get owned halfway across the map by 2 SWAT guys. Use a pure dodge build for OD - dodge is way better than armor for OD.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Bootcha posted:

Worst part is they don't even try to do something like the tazer, which makes it and maybe the kunai the only useful things in the whole arsenal now that they effectively have the same basic damage and really weird weapon speeds. And the whole tell-all whats-his-face gave on how and why they did it was really stupid, like its the players fault that they use the poo poo Overkill keeps packing into every DLC. "Players really shouldn't be using melee in a game about shooting cops, but, I'm going to put a chainsaw into this next DLC just for funsies anyway!".

Honestly the remaining regulars are kind of scattered right now until the next heist hits because of the latest design patches kind of were another last straw like the original safe fiasco. Only less people talk about it because it isn't selling keys to skins.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Crabtree posted:

Worst part is they don't even try to do something like the tazer, which makes it and maybe the kunai the only useful things in the whole arsenal now that they effectively have the same basic damage and really weird weapon speeds. And the whole tell-all whats-his-face gave on how and why they did it was really stupid, like its the players fault that they use the poo poo Overkill keeps packing into every DLC. "Players really shouldn't be using melee in a game about shooting cops, but, I'm going to put a chainsaw into this next DLC just for funsies anyway!".

Honestly the remaining regulars are kind of scattered right now until the next heist hits because of the latest design patches kind of were another last straw like the original safe fiasco. Only less people talk about it because it isn't selling keys to skins.

Yeah it's kind of weird they went so nuts adding in more melee weapons to every DLC if they hardly want anyone to use them. I mean I guess they could argue it's a cosmetic thing like masks but most of the time you can barely even tell what melee weapon someone is using.

I feel like they kind of dug themselves into a hole by adding too many melee weapons to the game to make them meaningfully different from each other, so they just threw up their hands and decided to literally make them all the same.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Red_Fred, if you get on either the discord or the mumble, I'd be happy to go into far more detail than you ever wanted about every aspect of the game.

clockworkjoe posted:

Zeal SWAT guys not only do 255 damage per shot, they have perfect accuracy up to 60 meters. The sight lines of Goat Simulator mean that you can get owned halfway across the map by 2 SWAT guys. Use a pure dodge build for OD - dodge is way better than armor for OD.

The other big OD tip is to bring all of the Joker skills. That may sound dumb, but Jokered cops retain their absurd, one hit kill damage when converted- and they also get 99% damage resistance because good game design. A team with 8 jokers is a team getting attacked about one third as much. And fwiw Zeal swat don't have flat accuracy over range, just really, really, high accuracy, and do the same damage at all ranges. Light Zeals do have about 60% accuracy at any range at all, though. Which, since they deal 67 damage at all ranges.... or heavy swat, who hit for 225 at 70% accuracy at 60 meters. Compared with DW heavy swat, to try to hit you 4 times for 30 damage with a 35% hit chance, at 30 meters....

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah it's kind of weird they went so nuts adding in more melee weapons to every DLC if they hardly want anyone to use them. I mean I guess they could argue it's a cosmetic thing like masks but most of the time you can barely even tell what melee weapon someone is using.

I feel like they kind of dug themselves into a hole by adding too many melee weapons to the game to make them meaningfully different from each other, so they just threw up their hands and decided to literally make them all the same.

Jules wants to implement some sort of Vermintide weapon swing arc system, and give players the ability to not carry guns and just have the melee weapon out all the time. This totally explains removing all variation in weapon damage months in advance of any implemented change, because ???

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Oh yeah, forgot about the jokers. My OD build to get through all the levels was basically rogue perk deck, inspire with FAKs, all the joker skills aced, sneaky bastard and low blow basic, heavy crossbow and micro uzi, body expertise aced, and swan song aced, plus the skills that boost movement. You can bodyshot a dozer on OD with a heavy crossbow and body expertise aced.

Edit: This build is focusing on getting the mission done, not maxing out body counts. Run away from cops as much as possible, focus on objectives and use a FAK whenever your health is less than 100%. Remember that if you drop a FAK at your feet and your health goes below 0, it will automatically be used. Combined with dodge and swan song and you can usually complete tasks under fire. If you need to pick a lock that takes 20 seconds, you need to think how you will survive Zeal cops sniping at you. Also, flash grenades are the most useful throwable.

clockworkjoe fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Mar 7, 2017

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

Jules wants to implement some sort of Vermintide weapon swing arc system, and give players the ability to not carry guns and just have the melee weapon out all the time. This totally explains removing all variation in weapon damage months in advance of any implemented change, because ???
Because Jules is an idiot.

Colour me shocked if the money bundle is still more effective than the fire axe post implementation.

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.
Making melee anything more than an occasional way to kill cops was stupid in the first place. Infiltrator is pretty fun to use - or it was before the difficulty rebalance, imagine it would be harder now with the increased spawns - but even it doesn't envisage that you'll be using a melee weapon all the time. No matter what they do, melee-based builds will never be anything more than a stupid gimmick.

Admittedly, of course, much of the game is made up of stupid gimmicks by now though. :v:

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Oh so Jules just has no plan for the game at all and runs on pure instinct whenever enough particular commets vomit out of Reddit or the steam forums. The more he's in the company, the less hope I have of any sort of Payday 3 being even as cohesive as launch PD2, much less they learned anything to improve the sequel in some way.

The level designers must loving love have to cram and rework their classic or new heists whenever Jules stumbles into the room drunk and say "GUYS, I HAVE ANOTHER IDEA".

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Mar 7, 2017

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

maswastaken posted:

Jules is an idiot.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Looks like RAID is coming to PAX. I am all for shooting and taking from Nazis.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
for when your heisting game isn't morally justifiable enough, it's the NAZI HEISTING GAME

just joking i hope raid owns

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

It is always nice when a game is good.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The loving floor at 1:23. Dammit overkill.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Discendo Vox posted:

The loving floor at 1:23. Dammit overkill.

Vox, I'm sorry, but in order to decipher the Payday 2 secret, you need to buy and play RAID.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I like how it seems that they are bagging nazigold but then leave without it?

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

They bought the loot truck asset.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

maswastaken posted:

They bought the loot truck asset.

Either that or the bags are on them and they're just going to steal some nazi truck to escape.

But there is no way in hell we are not stealing from Nazis. Cross-promotion is gonna happen.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 8, 2017

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Crabtree posted:

Either that or the bags are on them and they're just going to steal some nazi truck to escape.

But there is no way in hell we are not stealing from Nazis. Cross-promotion is gonna happen.

I do think we're stealing Nazi Gold (it's a big part of how they're setting up the game), but bag moving/loot may work differently. So far it appears that Raid involves longer, specific route-varied map design that's closer to the L4D approach. Gameplay videos have shown objective-based demolition satchels that are basically lootbags, though.

Crabtree posted:

Vox, I'm sorry, but in order to decipher the Payday 2 secret, you need to buy and play RAID.

I no joke think that's quite possible given the release timeline involved, the Diamond's history, and the stuff at the unexplained bunker in Biker Heist.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 8, 2017

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Considering we're probably doing some work from the alies I wouldn't put it passed them that the mission important stuff is destroying targets and retrieving Intel. The gold and treasure hoards that the Nazis stole and is currently unknown of by the rest of the world is just how WE profit from it.

But I wouldn't mind playing with you guys in this if its good.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
I am definitely the target demographic for robbing and killing nazis
or killing and robbing, I'm not picky on order

last night I ran some through some Heists on Mayhem and caught this bitchin' glitch

Myself, a friend, 2 pubbies, and a Jacket bot. God bless Overkill.

HebrewMagic fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 8, 2017

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

RAID was at PAX West last year and was a lot of fun even then! It reminded me of PD:TH in a lot of ways, mainly with the HUD and the big setpiece level. There was no moving bags, just hitting levers and moving a train car full of gold around.

Pubbies are pubbies though, I ended up barely managing to solo the section where you man AA turrets because the other three couldn't find the giant HUD markers or the bright red ladders to lead them to the turrets.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Fun easter egg found on counterfeit by a facepuncher:

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

I think people need to play this to get into the correct mindset

https://nasser.itch.io/dialogue-3-d

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Discendo Vox posted:

I do think we're stealing Nazi Gold (it's a big part of how they're setting up the game), but bag moving/loot may work differently. So far it appears that Raid involves longer, specific route-varied map design that's closer to the L4D approach. Gameplay videos have shown objective-based demolition satchels that are basically lootbags, though.

I no joke think that's quite possible given the release timeline involved, the Diamond's history, and the stuff at the unexplained bunker in Biker Heist.

what stuff in the bunker? The secret thread is dead and there's nothing on the pd2 wiki about it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

clockworkjoe posted:

what stuff in the bunker? The secret thread is dead and there's nothing on the pd2 wiki about it.

The bunker itself is completely unexplained. There's a weird piece of graffiti near the top of one of the beams that are standing around the bunker. It has exactly one match: a pattern on the back of the Cursed One mask, a mask from the Diamond.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
And since there was one Nazi involved in the Diamond it would be pretty easy to make it one of the pieces of loot for a job. Specifically the KILL HITLER job.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 10, 2017

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress

Crabtree posted:

And since there was one Nazi involved in the Diamond it would be pretty easy to make it one of the pieces of loot for a job. Specifically the KILL HITLER job.

Ready to kill Hitler, Wolfenstein crossover when

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Crabtree posted:

I think you've hit the nail on the head. That'd also explain why they get to say the Diamond "disappeared" until it was found in that shipwreck by people who gave it to McKendrick.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Discendo Vox posted:

I think you've hit the nail on the head. That'd also explain why they get to say the Diamond "disappeared" until it was found in that shipwreck by people who gave it to McKendrick.

Achievement Ideas/Player Agency Idea: Following the regular script of The Diamond Trailer, under a certain time limit, the Siege of Hitler's Bunker follows the regular script of after causing enough damage. we scare dear leader into offing himself. This path unlocks the As It Was Achievement and certain specific unlocks for RAID. However, either by following a hidden series of alternate quicker paths, or just kicking rear end fast enough, you can breach the inner sanctum quick enough for the first player to reach him first to knock the fuhrer and take his gun, allowing the pleasure to kill Hitler be theirs and unlock the Achievement Unternehmen Walküre with its own little rewards, including access to extra gold that Hitler offers in exchange for his life.

Unfortunately for Vox, both show their own little different clues, including symbols and little oddities around the gold vault.

Also, I'd like to know if Glasses Guy is either a German character or contractor/contact for the RAID group.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Mar 10, 2017

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Crabtree posted:

Achievement Ideas/Player Agency Idea: Following the regular script of The Diamond Trailer, under a certain time limit, the Siege of Hitler's Bunker follows the regular script of after causing enough damage. we scare dear leader into offing himself. This path unlocks the As It Was Achievement and certain specific unlocks for RAID. However, either by following a hidden series of alternate quicker paths, or just kicking rear end fast enough, you can breach the inner sanctum quick enough for the first player to reach him first to knock the fuhrer and take his gun, allowing the pleasure to kill Hitler be theirs and unlock the Achievement Unternehmen Walküre with its own little rewards, including access to extra gold that Hitler offers in exchange for his life.

Unfortunately for Vox, both show their own little different clues, including symbols and little oddities around the gold vault.

Also, I'd like to know if Glasses Guy is either a German character or contractor/contact for the RAID group.

It's probably either the Dentist, or Smug British Guy from the trailer.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
So Giancarlo Esposito is a demon?

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
I mean, duh.

Some Idiot Who Couldn't Even Beat Big Bank posted:

Tell The Dentist to go back to Hell.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

The item we stole in Golden Grin is something that we're recovering for the Dentist. Something he lost, a long time ago. It's also referred to by Grin staff afterwards as "the heart". My take is that the Dentist is either a demon or someone who escaped hell.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Discendo Vox posted:

The item we stole in Golden Grin is something that we're recovering for the Dentist. Something he lost, a long time ago. It's also referred to by Grin staff afterwards as "the heart". My take is that the Dentist is either a demon or someone who escaped hell.

It's the fusion engine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
Probably the Dentist's phylactery.