Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I need to finish it and break into the DLC, but SoP is a really good time and they go all in, transforming it from something dumb to really endearing and brilliant. Worth a look if you like Nioh, doubly so if you like Final Fantasy.

Hell yeah, Wo Long demo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I'm Wo Longing over here

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Character customization is still as impressive as ever. A lot is locked in the demo but I did notice this fun option:

Pronoun selection is always great.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Tortolia posted:

I need to finish it and break into the DLC, but SoP is a really good time and they go all in, transforming it from something dumb to really endearing and brilliant. Worth a look if you like Nioh, doubly so if you like Final Fantasy.

Hell yeah, Wo Long demo

Ya drat that 4th boss was annoying as poo poo but loving SoP so far.

drat thats cool, then I don't need to watch impression, will give it a shot.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I like the new graves in Wo Long. Instead of summoning specters of players to kill them, you see vengeance markers and you avenge them by killing the enemy that killed them. Combat doesn't have stances but there's a lot going on. You have regular attacks then a spirit attack, which is basically a heavy attack that consumes "spirit" which you build up by attacking. You can have a surplus (blue) but you can also build a deficit (orange). It recharges over time to a neutral state. Dodging, parrying, martial arts and magic use up the spirit. Martial arts are special attacks that are assigned to the weapons you are using.

Enemies are really aggressive and you're made out of wet paper in the beginning, so it's a lot like Nioh in that fashion. I'll be posting more impressions as I wrap my head around the mechanics as I play the demo. So far I'm really enjoying it!

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Sounds like another 300 hours of good time in coop.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'm still wrapping my head around the difference between character levels and morale, but the later does make a huge difference. It helps designate tough enemies and having a high morale does make the lowly peons easier to deal with. Stats are broken up into the five Taoist elements and they're pretty straightforward to understand. Enemy attacks are super quick to come out so parrying seems to be mostly relegated to dealing with their unblockable attacks, which are really slow. It's a lot like the burst counter in Nioh 2. You can use it for regular attacks but your reflexes gotta be really good in order to get the timing down.

Martial arts and magic are really fantastic, so don't neglect them. As long as you have spirit you can mash your way to victory - I can see spellcasting builds being really powerful in this one since it uses the spirit resource which you can replenish by waiting or attacking.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Sounds like if Nioh was Dark souls this is Sekiro

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

everything sounds like a more focused, refined nioh 2 and i'm all here for it

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

RatHat posted:

Sounds like if Nioh was Dark souls this is Sekiro

It feels like a half step between Nioh and Sekiro. It needs some tweaking for sure, but this is exactly what I wanted from a successor to Nioh 2 - it has all the mobility and back and forth pacing that I thought was lacking in Nioh, as much as I like that game. They really nailed it.

The morale system is SO satisfying, and gives you a personal character progression outside of just leveling up. It does mean that it is a slightly bigger pain to get back to where you were if you die, but the way you tangibly feel your strength grow over the course of a session does wonders for the game's pacing.

Making parrying a part of your dodge was also a genius move. It's just really drat good, IMO.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Only downside I feel is putting parry on the same button as dodge. You'll see it when you come to fight the tiger enemies - I find it almost impossible to dodge. They have an attack where they constantly attack and I guarantee that you'll get hit by ever single one because when you try to dodge you can't hit the button fast enough before the attack comes down and you'll just get creamed. The dodge feels like it doesn't have i-frames on it and it's more like a side-step. The parry window is not generous in the slightest. In fact, it's probably the narrowest window in any of these games. This can easily be changed but parrying in the demo is feels really poo poo and I feel like I do it by accident half the time while trying to dodge.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I think they do need to make the timing a bit more generous, but IMO it feels super good to hit the dodge parry. I think the idea is that you should be blocking more if they do a flurry of blows since the guard meter also seems pretty generous. I think it's something that could easily be improved by the time that it's out, but I really love it as a concept.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The concept is good, I agree but in the demo it just feels awkward. With normal enemies, even the champion humanoids, you don't really notice it but when you have the beasts in there it's can be frustrating. You're able to at least cause the humanoids to flinch and disrupt their flow, the beasts just ignore that crap and pummel you into paste.

Edit: Just tested it, dodge does not have i-frames. Got hit in the middle of one. That's a real problem.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Sep 16, 2022

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I don't know if I'm making it up, but I think the second dodge might have i-frames? I could swear I dodged through a few moves with it.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Echoing the sentiment that I like where their head is at on this but they need to do a lot of tweaking. Sekiro is as good as it is because parties are super liberal - the party window here is way too tight.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

So far my Wo Long experience is it crashing the second it loads the first non tutorial area, every time. On Xbox.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Sakurazuka posted:

So far my Wo Long experience is it crashing the second it loads the first non tutorial area, every time. On Xbox.

Yeah it’s busted on series X. PlayStation works fine though

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'd just download the PS5 version but since it's gonna be on Gamepass I need the Xbox hat

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Once you get the combat flow down things become kinda cake. I got to the boss and finally figured it all out. Dodging is pretty crap, honestly and parrying normal attacks isn't worth it. Hakkesshu had it right, just block everything then counter attack. Stay relentless. Your spirit attack's strength is dependent on the meter and the amount of spirit damage you do to them is also dependent on that damage. The final boss of the demo only took two tries because of this. Just play it like Bloodborne. Be super aggressive, parry when the unblockable comes out, punish then spirit attack when your meter is full and you'll constantly stun them then do your lethal attack which does shitloads of damage.

I think dodging should only be used to get a little distance but, I even said as much in the survey at the end, it doesn't give you much distance. Use those parries against the unblockable attacks to create a window to do what you need to do. Either attack or heal up. Healing takes at least 3 seconds to do, it's not quite at all. It's the longest in any Nioh or Souls game. Overall, I think they have an incredible formula on their hands. Morale is the best addition to genre I've seen. Combat feels great, magic and martial arts are powerful, the weapons are varied and fun to use (Balancing aside). They just need to tweak the dodge and parrying and they'll have themselves a winning formula.

The itemization still has too much poo poo on it but that's small potatoes in the grand scheme of things. I like having items to build out stuff but I think they still go too far with the amount of modifiers on them. But yeah, this demo really blew me away and I see myself putting a lot of time in this one much like in Nioh 2.

slow_twitch
Sep 21, 2005

drat I can't wait for this, why they gotta do a bitch rear end move with no PC demo

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

People say parrying is hard but I found that blocking the first couple hits and then parrying the slowest hit of the enemy combo gets you a parry almost everytime.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

slow_twitch posted:

drat I can't wait for this, why they gotta do a bitch rear end move with no PC demo

probably targeting current gen consoles as their main market and then optimizing for last gen and PC after that

nioh 2 pulled in a brisk 600k-ish sales on steam but the lion's share of sales (about 1.4 million) was for consoles, so they know where their bread's buttered and want to focus on that

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Jimbot posted:

Once you get the combat flow down things become kinda cake. I got to the boss and finally figured it all out. Dodging is pretty crap, honestly and parrying normal attacks isn't worth it. Hakkesshu had it right, just block everything then counter attack. Stay relentless. Your spirit attack's strength is dependent on the meter and the amount of spirit damage you do to them is also dependent on that damage. The final boss of the demo only took two tries because of this. Just play it like Bloodborne. Be super aggressive, parry when the unblockable comes out, punish then spirit attack when your meter is full and you'll constantly stun them then do your lethal attack which does shitloads of damage.

I think dodging should only be used to get a little distance but, I even said as much in the survey at the end, it doesn't give you much distance. Use those parries against the unblockable attacks to create a window to do what you need to do. Either attack or heal up. Healing takes at least 3 seconds to do, it's not quite at all. It's the longest in any Nioh or Souls game. Overall, I think they have an incredible formula on their hands. Morale is the best addition to genre I've seen. Combat feels great, magic and martial arts are powerful, the weapons are varied and fun to use (Balancing aside). They just need to tweak the dodge and parrying and they'll have themselves a winning formula.

The itemization still has too much poo poo on it but that's small potatoes in the grand scheme of things. I like having items to build out stuff but I think they still go too far with the amount of modifiers on them. But yeah, this demo really blew me away and I see myself putting a lot of time in this one much like in Nioh 2.

Played like 1 hour of it, I really loved it so I am just gonna wait for the full release but I agree with most of your points. The spirit system really forces you to keep attacking nonstop actually in SoP the pugilist class works like that, the more you attack you enter a higher level of dmg so it incentizes to keep up the offensive no matter what.I do think the parry is REALLY strong due to the i frames it gives in mob fights. You can really get out of nasty situations. If you parry the unblockables you can one shot many enemies with the execute mechanic ala Sekiro. The martial abilities are basically like skills in Nioh but easier to pulloff as they require less button combos. It really improves the flow of the combat since you can go from basic strings into a special ability instantly. I do agree the parry is bit hard to pull off maybe they will reduce the window for that a bit. I like that in SoP parry button is same as block but only the first frame of block counts for a parry but if you miss the timing you still end up blocking.

Team Ninja keep outdoing themselves in their combat design, as for the level design it's slightly better but it's nothing special like every other Team Ninja game. You aren't gonna get Sen's Fortress type levels here but you can get that elsewhere. I am here for the crazy in depth combat.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Sep 16, 2022

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

WaltherFeng posted:

People say parrying is hard but I found that blocking the first couple hits and then parrying the slowest hit of the enemy combo gets you a parry almost everytime.

If those first hits don’t just guard break you before you get the chance to parry

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

If you play aggressive you regain your meter. You can also spec into defence which lets you block better.

My complaint would be that healing is way too slow for the pace of the combat.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Sep 16, 2022

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Jimbot posted:

Once you get the combat flow down things become kinda cake. I got to the boss and finally figured it all out. Dodging is pretty crap, honestly and parrying normal attacks isn't worth it.

it's extremely worth it. when you block an enemy attack, it not only takes away from your spirit but increases theirs. if you parry the attack you gain spirit instead of losing it and the enemy gets nothing. on top of that, you get a faster and stronger counterattack after the parry to build up your spirit even more. it is very useful for keeping the momentum of the battle in your favor and killing the opponent quickly
obviously you should only parry attacks where you're comfortable with the timing but just guarding everything can go very badly if the AI decides to be really aggressive and go a long time without using a critical.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
The game feels kinda floaty and slippery compared to Nioh. Animations are pretty sweet.

It's still pretty cool though, and I'll probably get it- but I'm not enjoying it more than Nioh mechanic-wise. I dunno. I feel like the tutorial didn't do a good job explaining anything relating to spirit and morale. I kinda figured things out by the end of the demo and I thought the new version of player graves buffing their killers was neat.

It's pretty cool you can summon Zhao Yun. They should do DLC that lets you summon these dudes in their Dynasty Warrior skins lol

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
What weapon types does the demo have?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Darth Walrus posted:

What weapon types does the demo have?

A bunch of single swords that are extremely similar, Dual swords, and Glaive(I forget the Chinese name for it). Each weapon only has a quick attack combo sting, spirit(strong) attack, and some martial arts attacks though. That’s one of my biggest complaints, the lack of combo variety

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Xbox version works well enough to finish the demo now, healing too slow and it's absolutely designed to gently caress with my terrible habit of mashing buttons since that will interrupt healing and gently caress up your counter. Still took me less effort than the average Nioh stage though lol

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Does it tell you anywhere what the different encumbrance/equip weight tiers do? Can't imagine it works like Nioh with how effective blocking already is and how uh not dodging is.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Sakurazuka posted:

Does it tell you anywhere what the different encumbrance/equip weight tiers do? Can't imagine it works like Nioh with how effective blocking already is and how uh not dodging is.

Nope, just says it makes you more nimble or something. Can’t remember the exact wording

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

If it doesn’t affect your actual real-time dodging and movement speed, my guess is higher encumbrances have a larger effect on your spirit meter when you dodge and things like that.

This game really punishes you for spamming dodge, so it’s going to take some unlearning for me to undo that habit.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ligjt equip weight lets you spam flip dodges after the parry. Medium goes parry -> flip -> roll. Heavy is parry -> roll. So basically how it worked in Nioh except with the parry added on. Not sure if it affects anything else

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

htis horrible bird is kicking my rear end

edit: lmao thrashed him next try

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

have they said anything about PVP/invasions in the full game? the NPC invader was neat but made me worried about what it meant, since I was looking forward to playing this 100% coop like nioh 2.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ok I decided to just playthrough the whole demo after playing for only 1-2 hour. This game is definitely harder than Nioh or Sekiro. Sekiro's main flaw was fighting multiple enemies as the whole parry system broke down. I really don't like that there is no indication for enemies behind you like GoW 2018. A lot of times when you do the triangle execution strike after a parry your character starts dashing forward and does crazy poo poo. This actually completely changes your position regarding other enemies. So I have executed one enemy than there is another enemy performing a unblockable behind me but I don't have time to move the camera back. They should add a button for quickly snapping the camera behind you maybe pressing one of the sticks.

The moral system reminds me of world tendency from Demon Souls a bit, definitely makes bad runs even worse and good runs flow much faster. SoP kinda has something similar in terms of momentum, when you don't die and keep winning fights you build up a huge MP bar which is used for abilities.

Honestly the boss was hard but I found him easier than the faster enemies due to the game being based on parry, he looked super cool though. We've seen these characters in Dynasty Warriors but I love Team Ninja's spin on them. The one thing I am really scared of is. How loving strong is Lu Bu going to be? I really hope Team Ninja just make him a optional boss but make him a total nightmare. Also I think Team Ninja made some changes from Nioh demo to it's launch. I am pretty sure everywhere I look everyone who finished the demo, in the survey said the parry window was bit too short. I had some issue with the potion but it was not instant not sure if its bugged or intended.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Sep 19, 2022

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

have they said anything about PVP/invasions in the full game? the NPC invader was neat but made me worried about what it meant, since I was looking forward to playing this 100% coop like nioh 2.

There is an invasion option in the shrine/banner menu, but it's not enabled for this demo. That's all we know so far.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I will argue that fighting multiple enemies in Sekiro is not a flaw, it's an intended choice.

You can very quickly turn the situation around by using ninjutsu skills like blood smoke (You can chain blood smoke as long as you have emblems for multiple oneshot kills) and other prosthetics. Also stealth kills exists for this very reason.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Sep 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Dunno why I thought this thread wouldn't have talked about SOP and now Wo Long, but the demo for the latter was a fun surprise while I'm finally making my way through the former. I really like what this team has been doing with parries, even if the window in Wo Long is currently pretty tight.

Ulio posted:

I had some issue with the potion but it was not instant not sure if its bugged or intended.

Nah there's definitely something fucky about it, I felt like if I wasn't completely stock still and smashing the button they'd just ignore the input and I'd sit there and eat poo poo.