Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Only 2 things in Texas: steers and Miata drivers :sissies:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

Taco Box posted:

I'm so friggen geeked to go to this: http://texasmiataroundup.com/

I love those hill country roads, shame I have to drive 250 miles one way to get to them. Planning on tenting at the park nearby in Kerrville. I love tenting in the countryside in TX. It's so dark at night.

Me right now: :sissies: :woop: :sissies:

Bluebonnet is the San Antonio Miata club, right? If I don't have my car sold by then that might be a good opportunity for me. I'm going to try my damndest to sell it without resorting to Craigslist if I can.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Taco Box posted:

I'm so friggen geeked to go to this: http://texasmiataroundup.com/

I love those hill country roads, shame I have to drive 250 miles one way to get to them. Planning on tenting at the park nearby in Kerrville. I love tenting in the countryside in TX. It's so dark at night.

Me right now: :sissies: :woop: :sissies:

Have you done it before? Looks interesting.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Bovril Delight posted:

Have you done it before? Looks interesting.

I haven't, but I've driven those roads before. Ranch roads 335, 336, and 337 are supposedly the tail of the dragon of Texas. They are awesome and for the most part, deserted. They're so remote that it's just a pain for people to get out there, so most days you get them all to yourself. Lots of those little crosses at corners though. Lots of sheer drop offs and I'm sure a fair number of Layer-Dan's couldn't make the corners.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
155HP @ 6000RPM
148LB-FT @ 4500RPM
90.9" Wheelbase
2332 LBS

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
For reference, the 1994:

128HP @ 6500rpm
110ft-lbs @ 5000rpm
89.2" wheelbase
2293lbs

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Yeah too heavy and electric steering and no cooled cupholders gently caress you Mazda!!!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Just remove the top and unplug the steering fuse then, duh.

Wait, no cooled cup holders? RAAAAAAAAAAAGE

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Cool, a new NB.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

NC master race, most powerful Miatas ever :colbert: :smuggo: :colbert:

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

JDM specs from 'Best Car'

Engine Code: P5-VPS
Displacement: 1496cc
Bore*Stroke: 74.5*85.8mm
Compression ratio: 1:13.0
Max Power: 131ps@7000rpm
Max Torque: 15.3kgm@4800rpm
Fuel Economy: 21km/l (JC08 Testing)
Transmission: 6MT/AT
Length: 3915mm
Width: 1730mm
Height: 1235mm
Wheelbase: 2315mm
Weight: 1000kg
F. Suspension: Double wishbone
R. Suspension: Multi-link
Tire size: 195/50R16

No current plans to bring the 2L to Japan :japan:

EDIT: If you're a fan of JDM, numbers and the metric system, I made a crappy table.

(Pre-ND specs taken from 'Motor Fan's 25th anniversary of the Roadster issue.)

Seems like their goals for the Japanese market were just to squeeze it into lower tax bands than the previous car.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Mar 13, 2015

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

RillAkBea posted:

Wheelbase: 2135mm

Is that a typo? Phone's 90.9" above is ~2309mm which sounds more likely

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Edmund Honda posted:

Is that a typo? Phone's 90.9" above is ~2309mm which sounds more likely

If it is a typo, it's not mine. I found a site listing it's 15mm shorter which would make it 2315, which matches up vaguely.

EDIT: Updated my previous post.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Mar 13, 2015

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Phone posted:

For reference, the 1994:

128HP @ 6500rpm
110ft-lbs @ 5000rpm
89.2" wheelbase
2293lbs

And for double reference, if you're driving around a '94 and thinking "this is the tits", be aware that it's probably only making like 90hp at this point in time (mine sure is). I would totally buy an ND if it was roomier. My lovely old man back can't do the "wedge-myself-into-small-cars" thing anymore.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I'm in love with the nd. I'm already cooking up stupid ways to get the new miata in 2018 or 2020 after my current miata hits ten years old and I'm one of those poors who normally buys used so this includes reshaping my life to afford one

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
My 1990s 65 hp is plenty. Are you guys towing campers with your miatas or something?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

And for double reference, if you're driving around a '94 and thinking "this is the tits", be aware that it's probably only making like 90hp at this point in time (mine sure is). I would totally buy an ND if it was roomier. My lovely old man back can't do the "wedge-myself-into-small-cars" thing anymore.

My 94 is making like 170hp. :classiclol: (yay aftermarket ecus and vvt swaps)

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

Phone posted:

Is that all it takes to make 170 on a 1.8 NA? Or it bored and stroked and other poo poo?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Phone posted:

...what's your gas mileage?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Beach Bum posted:

...what's your gas mileage?

Slightly better than his ego

(i keed, i keed)

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sadi posted:

Is that all it takes to make 170 on a 1.8 NA? Or it bored and stroked and other poo poo?

"all it takes" is still in the 3-4,000 range. If you want cheap power turbos are still the way to go.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

craig588 posted:

"all it takes" is still in the 3-4,000 range. If you want cheap power turbos are still the way to go.

How so? VVT head isn't all that much and a megasquirt can run VVT to my understanding. That said I haven't read if you'd need a new intake or exhaust as well. All in all doesn't seem bad and you wouldn't have the heat soak issues of boost, or the lag of a turbo.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
He has a custom exhaust and I'm pretty sure a custom intake. The fuel rail needs to be replaced with a custom one, possibly including modified injectors. He's running a much more expensive ECU than Megasquirt and the VVT engine has higher compression so you're only running premium fuel. A VVT engine into a NA is hardly a drop in swap. Then there's the cost of the tuning time.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I'm still a little freaked out that the ND is slightly lighter than my 97. Mazda should put on a clinic for the other automakers.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

craig588 posted:

He has a custom exhaust and I'm pretty sure a custom intake. The fuel rail needs to be replaced with a custom one, possibly including modified injectors. He's running a much more expensive ECU than Megasquirt and the VVT engine has higher compression so you're only running premium fuel. A VVT engine into a NA is hardly a drop in swap. Then there's the cost of the tuning time.

At which point you're probably better off doing the Honda K swap.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Any tire recommendations for the MSM? I have the stock 17" rims, which as far as I know are all straight; this car has had a total of 3 bent ones replaced (1 by me, 2 by the PO), and I swear to Obama that if I get one more bent rim I'm scrapping them all for 6ULs, period.

That being said, I'm looking for maximum dry weather traction, street use only. The only time this car sees rain is when I misjudge a weather forecast (or it's wrong) and get caught out there in the wet. I have the other car for lovely weather. (Basically, the Miata comes out when the top can come down.)

The current tires are Nitto NeoGens, which I guess are fine, but I think they're starting to show their age as last year I would start to slide under hard cornering (like 40 mph.) They still have tread (I have to wait until I pull the car out of storage to measure it though) but my main problem is that I drive so little (like 8k miles per year, split between two cars) that the tires dry rot well before I come anywhere close to actually wearing down the tread.

Consequently, I'm 100% OK with a high-performance low-treadwear tire that only lasts me a couple of years (seriously, 2 years or 8-10k miles would be acceptable if they otherwise stick like glue on the road.) The NeoGens are apparently UHP all-season, and again they seemed fine for the 3 years I've had them (they're 4-5 years old) aside from the very end of last year, but I only need Summer tires.

With that being said, I have 7 choices on TireRack in the "Summer Passenger Tires" section:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...ating=S&tab=All

2 Max Performance, 5 Ultra High Performance. For some reason there aren't currently any Extreme Performance tires available. :iiam: They're basically all very reasonably priced (although the Potenza RE050A is 2-3 times any of the others...) so cost isn't an issue. I know someone with a Fiat 500 Abarth who loves his Pirellis, and I have no problem with those (plus there's a mail-in rebate.) Should I go with those, or instead one of the UHP tires? I'm normally a stats guy, but it's hard to compare tires based on the surveys and reviews (especially for different vehicles) and there aren't many outliers in these categories. All 7 of the tires listed have good reviews & surveys.

Does anyone have a preference/suggestion?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
A junkyard VVT swap is a few grand, a K swap approaches 10k for everything. It's been hashed over a few times, but the VVT swap is pretty straight forward and we'll documented. Even though I'm running an AEM EMS-4 that I haven't touched (I'm lazy and bad), the MS3 is the better ECU since documentation is way better and it tunes on VE versus loving around with PWM controls for everything.

Here's the short list for putting in a VVT motor into an NA(8):

800-1000: Junkyard 01-05 motor
800: Megasquirt 3 (e.g. - reverant built)
200: AEM Uego WB02
400: RB header
200: Local 2.25-2.5" header back
100: New NB1 fuel rail
25: Used 1.6L FPR
175: Biggest CAI you can make with silicone elbows and a Dryflow

Sum ~$2900-3100.

The extras include getting a square top for more high end power or a VICS for more midrange (EUDM intakes go for 400 all day, no idea about the VICS; the VTCS manifold is junk). Skunk2 throttle body if you want to make sure it won't blow up due to spinning a bad motor too fast (350). I don't think an OE clutch will last that long with the uprated torque, but it should be fine for street driving. Toss in a LWFW if you're feeling saucy.

If you're not a lazy, awful piece of poo poo like me, you can easily make 145whp+ with this setup by properly tuning it. There are more than a few people running junkyard VVT motors in TT/PTD hitting mid-150s on a Dynojet.

If anyone has questions, I'm more than willing to help out. I'm pretty critical of things, but the VVT swap is a pleasure to drive and I can take off the "A REAL RACE CAR DRIVER" hat since I know that blowing close to 10k on garbage isn't the answer for people with brains.

E: answer time

Gas mileage? I average 25mpg scooting around town. 10 on track. I usually fill up when there's 260+ miles on the odometer since that's when it hits E and I put in just over 10 gallons.

Fuel poo poo? I'm running NB2 injectors. They're purple and much smaller than the ones that came stock.

"Put a turbo on it"? You start chasing all sorts of stuff with turbos and managing heat can become a pain. You at least need to put an intercooler on it, maxing out a small turbo isn't too hard, you'll definitely need RX-8 injectors or something else for fuel quite fast. Clutch is a gimme. Make more than 200ft-lbs and you'll wind up getting good at swapping out 5-speeds if you drive it like you stole it. Driving a turbo Miata is really fun, but the cheap turbo route still has a bunch of non-apparent costs associated with it.

Phone fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Mar 14, 2015

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
A NB1 fuel rail and a 1.6 FPR is all I need to hook up to the 1.8 NA fuel system? I've had a VVT engine, new exhaust, and MS ECU sitting around pretty much stalled because I thought I needed a custom fuel rail and I figured I'd just wait until I blew up the old engine before spending custom machine time money.

I mentioned it in your thread, but you basically built the car I would have if I wasn't so lazy about it.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Yeah, dude. You bolt the FPR upside down and bend the return hard line a bit so it'll clear the manifold. My original thread probably has a post dedicated to it somewhere.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Well, then! I already have a junkyard motor in my NB2 :v: so while Megasquirt is still kinda expensive, that's not too bad overall. Do you have any dyno charts?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Will an sbc fit? Because that sounds like less hassle :v:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

mobby_6kl posted:

Well, then! I already have a junkyard motor in my NB2 :v: so while Megasquirt is still kinda expensive, that's not too bad overall. Do you have any dyno charts?

I do, somewhere. I made 140whp/120ft-lbs with a really lovely tune that I haven't touched.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I made a dumb. I did an oil change on my NC, and after marveling that it uses the same exact filter in the same exact location on the block as my old 2012 focus 2.0L; I seem to have created a chassis lubrication system. I noted that the subframe under the oil filter looks more like something off a Massey-Ferguson than a Mazda and investigated further. It would seem that my oil filter is weeping oil off the bottom of the can. I suspect this means I did not clean the mating surface on the block and now a bit of grit is fouling the gasket, causing a small leak.

Is there any way to remove/replace the filter without having to do a full oil change on these? I dread trying to take the filter off and having 4.5 quarts of fresh 5w20 dump on my face.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Phone posted:

A junkyard VVT swap is a few grand, a K swap approaches 10k for everything.

poo poo, I thought a K swap would be less than that.....The swap kit is $3800, you should be able to get a JY motor for under a grand right?

Either way, if I'm gonna swap a motor in my NA it's gonna be a K. If I go the VVT route I'll just sell my NA and buy an NB which I have been seriously considering. Also have been considering a 6cyl Z4 :3:

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

mobby_6kl posted:

Megasquirt, Generic aluminum tube "CAI", removed the butterflies from the 2001+ header, RB header and exhaust.

If you want to track your car this costs 1/2 of what a reliable turbo system will cost you.

Click for big.

FatCow fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Mar 14, 2015

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

Taco Box posted:

Is there any way to remove/replace the filter without having to do a full oil change on these? I dread trying to take the filter off and having 4.5 quarts of fresh 5w20 dump on my face.

You can just spin the filter off after letting the car sit overnight. Most of the oil will be in the oil pan. The filter will still be full, but it will be several ounces at most.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Savington posted:

You can just spin the filter off after letting the car sit overnight. Most of the oil will be in the oil pan. The filter will still be full, but it will be several ounces at most.

Thanks man, I'll get it up on ramps overnight and then see wtf is going on with my gasket.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I've heard stories of the old gasket getting stuck to the block. Look carefully to make sure you don't have 2 gaskets now :P

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

CharlesM posted:

I've heard stories of the old gasket getting stuck to the block. Look carefully to make sure you don't have 2 gaskets now :P

I made sure I didn't double gasket the thing :-)

In other NC news, the canvas tops on NC miatas suck balls. The factory top is really bad about letting glue from the stuff on the underside seep up through the canvas in hot climates. For example:

I tried something on the two stripes above the windows that showed up on my tan roof and I can finally say, I've found something that works. I work in machining, and we have this ink remover stuff that will take pretty much anything petroleum based off of metal. The particular stuff I used was this: sprayon sp606

It's not 100% and I should have taken before and after pics, because my top looked like rear end, but now it looks much better. I would have taken pics if I thought it'd work, since nothing else has! Anyway, use that stuff and keep it the hell away from paint! It doesn't seem to have harmed the canvas at all. I'm saving up to put a robbins on anyway and I figured what the hell, try this poo poo on there.

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Someone local is selling a set of Special Edition Enkei wheels cheap and I was thinking of getting them until I looked up how much they weigh. 18 lbs a piece, gently caress that.