Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

theflyingorc posted:

its true nobody is vaccinated

I'm unvaccinated and dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

CJacobs posted:

Actually, it's the opposite. In cultures where people wear masks, it's because there is a social stigma to do so. People don't wear the masks to prevent the spread of sickness, they wear it because if they come into work or get on the train sick but not wearing a mask, they'll get annoyed stares- Even though there's evidence showing that it doesn't actually prevent anything except maybe you getting your bodily fluids on someone else when you cough or sneeze or whatever. It's got nothing to do with vanity in other cultures.

I'm annoyed when people sneeze like giant retards in crowded areas yes, maybe do it in your shirt or something.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

fishmech posted:

Don't want to burst your bubble, but it's not really backed by medical results to wear masks like that to keep you from getting sick or keep others from getting sick from you. Especially for stuff like the flu, where the airborne bits of nastiness that will spread the infection can do quite well at getting through the masks and more importantly around the sides.

Well poo poo, somebody better tell all those doctors and lab workers who keep wearing masks for no reason.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Sleeveless posted:

Well poo poo, somebody better tell all those doctors and lab workers who keep wearing masks for no reason.

You do realize labs, hospitals, hospital rooms are sterilized for a reason, right? A sterilized, controlled environment =/= out in public.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also, getting bodily fluids and stuff in your mouth is still gross. I don't want that.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Freakbox posted:

Man, I want one of these. I can breathe healthy AND be the creepy girl at the bus stop that no one wants to talk to. It'd be amazing to make it all the way to work without being spoken to because I look like I'm preparing for the apocalypse or have the plague. Americans are conditioned to avoid people in 'dust masks'- I want to take advantage of that. :allears:

I'll take one for the team and hit on you anyways. I'd feel so bad that you weren't getting hit on just because that's what you wanted.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Sleeveless posted:

That's not the same thing. Obviously you wear a mask around people whose bodies are open or lab samples where you don't want foreign matter getting in. When everyone is covered with skin, masks don't really help.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Or you could just buy a $2 stand for your phone and have the exact same functionality.

On the other hand I'm pretty sure you could kickstart a modern ticker-tape printer that took an RSS feed or whatever and slowly spat it out on a strip of paper. Make it look like an old school telegraph under a glass dome and rake in that hipster young urbanite money.

Collateral Damage has a new favorite as of 00:51 on Dec 3, 2015

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Collateral Damage posted:

Or you could just buy a $2 stand for your phone and have the exact same functionality.

On the other hand I'm pretty sure you could kickstart a modern ticker-tape modern that took an RSS feed or whatever and slowly spat it out on a strip of paper. Make it look like an old school telegraph under a glass dome and rake in that hipster young urbanite money.

Already been and failed

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Obviously because the design wasn't retro enough.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Manky posted:

Already been and failed

Aww that's cute! But I have zero idea how to put it to good use. Texting is easier and less wasteful, and who wants tiny receipts flying around? :/ Maybe in an alternate and whimsical universe.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

fishmech posted:

Don't want to burst your bubble, but it's not really backed by medical results to wear masks like that to keep you from getting sick or keep others from getting sick from you. Especially for stuff like the flu, where the airborne bits of nastiness that will spread the infection can do quite well at getting through the masks and more importantly around the sides.

yeah this is why i asked why they do it - it's useless and makes them look stupid.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sleeveless posted:

Wearing properly fitted/cleaned out masks in a hospital environment, and where none of the people wearing the masks are themselves sick, is a way different scenario.

Groovelord Neato posted:

yeah this is why i asked why they do it - it's useless and makes them look stupid.

It's because the popular culture thinks it helps. They used to be common to wear in North America and western Europe at various times int he past too, but they died out quicker.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Groovelord Neato posted:

I thought it was to prevent against electric fans.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

theflyingorc posted:

its true nobody is vaccinated

Whereever you live that doesn't have anti-vaxxers bringing back measles and whooping cough due to not being vaccinated, take me there.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Collateral Damage posted:

On the other hand I'm pretty sure you could kickstart a modern ticker-tape printer that took an RSS feed or whatever and slowly spat it out on a strip of paper. Make it look like an old school telegraph under a glass dome and rake in that hipster young urbanite money.

http://www.twittertape.co.uk/

Specifically for Twitter, only one in the world, was built on Twitter's original API so probably doesn't work anymore, was built by a goon, but he/she never kickstarted it.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's essentially a combination of peer pressure and superstition.

The real problem is that because the default is wearing a mask, people that don't wear masks tend to just loving hack and sneeze wherever they feel like, because apparently covering your nose or mouth with your hand is just weird I guess?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Dienes posted:

Whereever you live that doesn't have anti-vaxxers bringing back measles and whooping cough due to not being vaccinated, take me there.

please reread your own drat post, thanks

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Dienes posted:

It's called Not-California, and it's a pretty big place. Come on over; we also have water.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Germstore posted:

It's called Not-California, and it's a pretty big place. Come on over; we also have water.

Do you have almonds?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

ayn rand hand job posted:

Do you have almonds?

yes, we get them by causing drought in california

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

ayn rand hand job posted:

Do you have almonds?

We can import Florida almonds, but they are much more likely to get into a fist fight in WalMart than California almonds.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Germstore posted:

As much as I'd love to say the US are unique on this, even the Netherlands and Serbia have anti vaxxers bringing back preventable diseases.
gently caress the Internet.

Reggie Died
Mar 24, 2004
Wrong thread..my bad!

Reggie Died has a new favorite as of 22:26 on Dec 5, 2015

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

Reggie Died posted:

Need some help choosing a 23g pinner, non 2" variety.

Currently debating Cadex vs Grex. At first I thought Cadex had the upper hand due to it's ability to shoot headed pins (honestly not something that I'd really use) and the built in air blower (I might be putting WAY too much emphasis on this novelty).

But the guy on the sale floor was really pushing the Grex. Suggesting that BECAUSE the Cadex can take brad's, there the cylinder is slightly wider which has caused issues in the past. He sells both so don't know if he had alternative motives....

They are roughly the same price point, and I"m sure I'd be happy with both. Just looking for some anecdotal feedback. I have a Cadex owner and a Grex owner on my crew, and they both seem equally happy. I also might just save $60 and get the Hitachi, but it doesn't have a belt hook (again, a small novelty I'm putting too much emphasis on, but they are pretty handy and aftermarket alternatives are big and bulky).

Edit; for the sake of being different, I've also been looking at the 21g nailers from Cadex. I have yet to see one in the wild, and I can't just drop into the lumber yard to grab nails (they are readily available but I'd have to give myself a few days). But I've heard some guys rave about them.

Try backing the ask the hardware guys

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Dear website mostly used for cancer patients and shooting victims, please pay for me to be the whitest piece of poo poo imaginable and pretend to me a magic nature man.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Jason is becoming an Idiot!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

CJacobs posted:

Jason is becoming an Idiot!

That's already funded by his parents.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Category: :airquote:Medical:airquote:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

quote:

This apprenticeship is set up like a college, so all the money goes towards tuition and retreat weekends. Unfortunately there is no financial aid for Shaman school, so I humbly ask everyone who has yet to donate, please anything you can spare will go a long way. In return for donating I will be more then happy to provide any Shamanic work once my training is finished.

He's got a baby. A family depending on him.
:negative:

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

quote:

We worked on different healing modalities (I did a lot of healing on myself and my fellow classmate).

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

crazy white shaman dude posted:

P.S. If anyone has any question about my apprenticeship or Shamanism in general, please don't hesitate to message me. I will be more then happy to talk about it!
when do i learn lightning bolt

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
Being originally from South America I know a lot of people, white and non white, who believe in shamanism bullshit.
It's usually stinky hippies.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

bvoid posted:

when do i learn lightning bolt

I assume it's similar to scientology, after you :airquote:donate:airquote: so much cash to the :airquote:school:airquote: they'll attempt to teach you super saiyan powers. If you can't do them well there's something wrong with you and you need more :airquote:training:airquote:.

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon
n-n-noo facebook :(

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH

Truck Stop Daddy posted:

no ring

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Truck Stop Daddy posted:

where's the ring

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
The ring is right there on the photo. But there is no rim.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Dienes posted:

I'm vaccinated and got whooping cough last year. Turns out that its one of those vaccines that needs a booster every decade. Whooping cough was not fun, to say the least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Well, it is reinvented.