Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
https://youtu.be/gbU4VRs2rro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Pick posted:

I told my mother I wish I'd met my great-grandfather (who owned an accountancy firm, technically I met him as a tiny baby but whatever) and she was like "He'd be so proud of you. But he wouldn't like you."

Well of course not, he wasn't stupid

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Pick posted:

I told my mother I wish I'd met my great-grandfather (who owned an accountancy firm, technically I met him as a tiny baby but whatever) and she was like "He'd be so proud of you. But he wouldn't like you."

Hell I haven’t met you and I feel the same way! Your mom does have her moments, I suppose.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
My grandma was just like Lucille Bluth. It was not funny though.

Her Buster was my cousin who hasn't worked a full time job in his life and blew through 500k of her money while living with her. He's now a prime candidate for the most pathetic person you know thread.

Leon Einstein fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Oct 25, 2018

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Leon Einstein posted:

My grandma was just like Lucille Bluth. It was not funny though.

Her Buster was my cousin who hasn't worked a full time job in his life and blew through 500k of her money while living with her. He's now a prime candidate for the most pathetic person you know thread.

Is this an actual thread somewhere? Boy do I know a couple contenders.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

El_Elegante posted:

Hell I haven’t met you and I feel the same way! Your mom does have her moments, I suppose.

Thanks for being proud of me :shobon:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Laffo if you dont beat your parents peak earnings before youre 30. Makes it real easy to command respect in your family when they have to kiss your ring before theyre allowed to grovel for a better cut.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Baronjutter posted:

Is this an actual thread somewhere? Boy do I know a couple contenders.

Knock yourself out

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3871707

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Pick posted:

tbh a lot of boomers are also poor, and black boomers vote progressive more than white millennial men

Yeah self-absorbed assholes are definitely not just a generational thing. Like, even the climate poo poo, we got the seas rising so a buncha 60-year-old Draculas can own more money than South America and they got the inevitability of nuclear extinction so a buncha 60-year-old Draculas could say they "won" world domination. Kill all the rich of any age.

Barudak posted:

Laffo if you dont beat your parents peak earnings before youre 30. Makes it real easy to command respect in your family when they have to kiss your ring before theyre allowed to grovel for a better cut.

Props to my dad, it's nice to be able to shut down the'condescending out-of-touch life advice' talk by pointing out he dropped out of the workforce to live as an adult baby for 18 years

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Oct 25, 2018

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Barudak posted:

My dad made six figures by the time I was 8 and seven by the time I was 16. I might reach six figures by the time I am 45...........I am nothing.......

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Xenocides posted:

My dad made six figures by the time I was 8 and seven by the time I was 16. I might reach six figures by the time I am 45...........I am nothing.......

It's ok. money is stupid and makes people lovely.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
The easiest way to avoid 'why didn't you have a stellar life handed to you on a silver platter like we did?' entitlement is to have working class parents(who themselves had working class parents, ie 'no real inheritance'). You graduated from college when neither of your parents did? You have a steady job, can pay all your bills, and can actually afford some retirement savings? Boom, they're already proud of you.

The downside to this strategy is that they probably will never 'get' how career progression works, because they've never had a career you could actually progress in. My mom thinks you can magic more money out of your career simply by getting higher-level degrees, and she'll never quite grok that's not how it works, no matter how many times I explain to her why I'm not wasting time going to grad school.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Hey one of you rich retards just give me your money, I'll make better use of it

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Xenocides posted:

The metrics by which the boomer-aged white people measure others do not have to be the same metrics by which we measure others or ourselves

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Captain Yossarian posted:

Hey one of you rich retards just give me your money, I'll make better use of it

No see they earned their money. Through inheritance. They earned that inheritance

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

If anyone in your family is a boomer conservative just sever because there's nothing human left in them after decades of brain rot. Just save yourself the pain.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Elderbean posted:

If anyone in your family is a boomer conservative just sever because there's nothing human left in them after decades of brain rot. Just save yourself the pain.

there's an estate.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Elderbean posted:

Sorry, I got full control of the trust but I have to disburse for their elder care.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Don’t wanna hurt your feeeelings ladies. :banjo:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

Sorry, I got full control of the trust but I have to disburse for their elder care.

did they set a cap on what you can pay yourself in advance of the ultimate settlement of the estate

e: trusts are so powerful... i still love there's an entire neo yokio episode where the punchline is the difference between a trust and a conventional estate lol. drat that show was too good for this world.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Pick posted:

there's an estate.

Will any of it be left after spending $$$$$ on medical bills in their twilight?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pick posted:

did they set a cap on what you can pay yourself in advance of the ultimate settlement of the estate

e: trusts are so powerful... i still love there's an entire neo yokio episode where the punchline is the difference between a trust and a conventional estate lol. drat that show was too good for this world.

A gentleman does not kiss and tell, for legal reasons.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Pick posted:

there's an estate.

Lol just lol if you don't realize that Alex Jones, Glenn Beck, and Sean Hannity are going to get that money before they kick the bucket.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

CannonFodder posted:

Will any of it be left after spending $$$$$ on medical bills in their twilight?

From my parents? I certainly imagine.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Pick posted:

It's ok. money is stupid and makes people lovely.

My parents are great though. It does make most people lovely though.

QuarkJets posted:

The metrics by which the boomer-aged white people measure others do not have to be the same metrics by which we measure others or ourselves

I am kidding. I am happy where I am. :)

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Yes most elderly get Medicare and if they need a nursing home you put all the assets in a trust so they are technically poor and qualify for Medicaid. Don't pay for that stuff.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Hellblazer187 posted:

Yes most elderly get Medicare and if they need a nursing home you put all the assets in a trust so they are technically poor and qualify for Medicaid. Don't pay for that stuff.

I would take a certain perverse pleasuring making my parents Pay for Thing even if it were essentially my own money.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Pick posted:

I would take a certain perverse pleasuring making my parents Pay for Thing even if it were essentially my own money.

Lol well I like my parents and also I expect their estate is smaller than the one you're looking at.

Also my parents have pretty much always been progressive so I don't have to fight with them about Trump. They voted for Mondale.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Hellblazer187 posted:

Lol well I like my parents and also I expect their estate is smaller than the one you're looking at.

Also my parents have pretty much always been progressive so I don't have to fight with them about Trump. They voted for Mondale.

I also like write in votes. I voted for Aaron Burr.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Hellblazer187 posted:

I like my parents and they're both democrats.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Xenocides posted:

No I mean in 84. Like they've allllways voted the right way. My dad voted Clinton and my mom has been slightly to dead to vote for a while now but also always voted well.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Pick posted:

I like my parents and they're both democrats.

Oh. Then I don't get why you'd want them to spend the money.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Xenocides posted:

Lizard People is the best write in, thanks to the Coleman / Franken recount.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Hellblazer187 posted:

Oh. Then I don't get why you'd want them to spend the money.

As I understand it you can vote intelligently and still be a bad person. Crazy I know, but true.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Dear Prudie posted:

Q. Gardening That’s Too Organic: Gardening has always been a favorite pastime of my wife’s, and over the years she’s spoiled me with delicious home-grown fruits and vegetables. Last year she decided to go organic, which is harder than I would have thought. She’s the type of person who likes to figure things out on her own, and trial and error is her favorite learning method. Last year she tried using horse manure as fertilizer, and didn’t like the resulting weeds. This spring she’s decided to try a different approach—she bought a chamber pot and says she’ll fertilize the soil herself. I refuse to contribute, and I think I’ll pass on the veggies as well. My wife disagrees with me but says she understands, but she also shares our bountiful harvest with the neighbors, and I’m sure if I spilled the beans on her unconventional technique, she’d be furious. Should I tell my neighbors what she’s up to?

A: Talk about being a locavore. Food direct from the bathroom to the kitchen! This is the ultimate in recycling. Aside from spilling the beans, if she grows a lot of beans, things will turn over in an ever-faster loop. However, her plans are disgusting. And, if she plans on just dumping her dump on the vegetables, potentially dangerous. Once the toilet was invented, people voted with their—oh, never mind—and abandoned the chamber pot for the smelly repulsive thing it was. If she’s going to start using one, at least get the plug-in Febreze. My understanding is that fertilizer has to be processed before it can be used. Many food borne-illnesses come from feces contamination in the fields. Tell your wife you don’t want the CDC at the door because she gives the neighbors some killer lettuce. Organic is one thing, but she should keep her personal contribution out of the garden.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ravenkult posted:

My mom isn't toxic like this one, but she keeps sending me links to jobs that are basically ''one weird trick job hunters came up with; Millennials hate it!'' And it's just some lovely jobs that require something weird, like moving to Antarctica or speaking 9 languages or having four legs.

Mine just sends me jobs that look like they might be things I could apply for but the slightest glance at the description is just a paragraph of obvious things that rule me out. Ten years of experience and you must use Windows Vista!

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Haifisch posted:

Gardening That’s Too Organic:

amazing

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

quote:

The members of estranged parents' forums would score high on what Bob Altemeyer calls the Right-Wing Authoritarian Scale, specifically the authoritarian follower side of the scale. (I refer to this type as authoritarian followers instead of right-wing followers to strip the misleading political reference from the name.) Authoritarian followers' central belief, the one that organizes the rest of their personality, is that authorities should be respected and shown deference because they are authorities. Authoritarian followers support this belief with double standards that excuse authorities of wrongdoing, a rigidly hierarchical worldview that keeps people in their place, and powerful resistance to any attempt to question authority. They tend to be black-and-white, us-and-them thinkers with a deep need to punish transgressors.

Lol conservatives.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

bell jar posted:

God, I want to know what she did (outside of what she's reluctantly admitted to)
Me too! She's a good one to read because she leaks information a lot and over time you can get a picture of what really happened.

QuarkJets posted:

She doesn't understand things like empathy and believes that the world revolves around her. She has memories of being happy when her son loved her unconditionally and is sad now that he has his own opinions and feelings and the ability to rebuke her. "the one thing people always say about me is how real I am no matter where I am. I am always the same person" is code for "I have huge mood swings but contain emotional rampages to my home life", the emotional rollercoaster contained in her posts helps illustrate that.

She's basically my mom, who similarly romanticizes what a great job she did as a parent (false), is constantly making up bizarre theories about why person X is behaving in a certain way (often she thinks it's just to get attention), and also has very little ability to empathize with others. My grandmother believes that it's the result of my mom suffering from encephalitis caused by measles but my mom was only 3 at the time so there's no real way to know.

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

That study posted earlier before nails it. All their memories are filtered through their feelings. They felt good when the child didn't assert themselves thus it was good.

Also a lot of dipshits view children as property. So she's "losing something" by the kid being less involved in her life
One of the things that fascinates me is how much estranged parents are so much more upset about losing their grandchildren than their children. People on DWIL Nation (another good site, from the estranger's point of view) talk about how babies and children can't say no to adults, can't enforce boundaries, and are easy to manipulate and push around, so they're natural targets for narcissistic people, and that seems to be at least part of it.

It's also amazing how much they think everything their estranged child (and everyone associated with them) does is about hurting them. And how they can't handle any form of rejection- I mean anything. Issendai says that nything tinged with negative emotion, anything that makes them feel bad about themselves, shocks them so deeply that they block it out. They really can't remember anything but screaming. This emotional amnesia shapes their entire lives, pushing them to associate only with people who won't criticize them, training their families to shelter them from blows so thoroughly that the softest protest feels like a fist to the face."

quote:

The depth our ED went to this weekend to hurt us has been tough. We are big football fans for our SEC Team.
Season tickets and it’s a time my husband and I enjoy with friends.Our ED knew we would be at ballgame and “dropped by” our home to see her sister. My disabled daughter who still lives at home and she is so confused.

My husband and I DREAM of our grandchildren playing in our yard again and swinging in their little swing.
When we found out that happened while we were out of town it crushed our hearts.

The part that is the hardest is… she knew it would. There is no doubt in my mind she did that to turn the knife a little more.

Nobody gets this torture but the woman who live it-
On the bright side I only let this control me for one day in bed! I know that’s silly but trust me it’s an improvement. I went to work today and moving forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

quote:

We are big football fans for our SEC Team. 
Season tickets and it’s a time my husband and I enjoy with friends.Our ED knew we would be at ballgame and “dropped by” our home to see her sister. My disabled daughter who still lives at home and she is so confused. 

roll tide