Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

VolatileSky posted:

Am I missing any glaring details from these dreads? The only addition I have planned is greenstuff purity seals.

The smoke launchers aren't stuck on poles like that. Otherwise amazing work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Taking a break from my Howling Griffons to flesh out my AdMech army.

Added 2 units of Kastelan Robots and have 1 unit of Fulgurite Electropriests. Gotta grab 3 more boxes of them.

I magnetized the shoulder mounted weapons. On the next set I'll magnetize the hands as well.

The dude with all the debris on his base I made fully posable by lopping off the pegs that keep the joints in place.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
New Blood Angels from me. The tanks were my first try pre-shading, and when I was putting the basecoat on I was too cautious of not covering over the shading and missed some of the undersides. Not too bothered since you can't see it on the table.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

A guy at my FLGS just shouted, who wants a ghetto demon prince? And this is what he gave me:

:pwn:

Can I save this? How hard is it to clean up green stuff?

Greenstuff isn't very sticky. Try to get a sharp knife between the GS and the model, you may be able to just pop it off. An hour in the freezer will probably make it easier.

Synergy013
Jul 24, 2007
Series of tubes?
Just painted these guys up and cant decide how best to break up the monotony. Black pauldron trim/chest piece? Squad markings and actual raptor insignia will be added whenever I have enough for an actual squad. Also has anyone used the Pop goes the monkey 3d printed things?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Synergy013 posted:

Just painted these guys up and cant decide how best to break up the monotony. Black pauldron trim/chest piece? Squad markings and actual raptor insignia will be added whenever I have enough for an actual squad. Also has anyone used the Pop goes the monkey 3d printed things?

I don't know man, I'm really digging the solid OD green

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Synergy013 posted:

Try a very dark grey pauldron trim/chest piece before you go proper black.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Synergy013 posted:

To dogpile on all the feedback, a few white stripes (rifle, shoulder pad, knee pad, or pauldron) would create some areas of interest. For the chest eagles I would go with silver over black.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

My local university surplus store has a vortex mixer for $10 if I can figure out how to handle a 240v plug in my American 110v house. Is that easy enough to get an adapter for? (The backs says 240v and the plug is a T shaped set of three prongs-two flat horizontal and one flat vertical set below and centered between the other two.)

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Arcturas posted:

My local university surplus store has a vortex mixer for $10 if I can figure out how to handle a 240v plug in my American 110v house. Is that easy enough to get an adapter for? (The backs says 240v and the plug is a T shaped set of three prongs-two flat horizontal and one flat vertical set below and centered between the other two.)

Very easy to find. Just look on Amazon. Don't get the cheapest one. It's worth a buck or two not to have it fry itself when you use it.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
You are describing a UK mains plug. I once brought a UK appliance to the US and needed a pretty hefty device to step the voltage down, which in itself cost me about £60.

Edit: also you are imagining the T the wrong way round - standard orientation for mains plugs in the UK have the vertical bit on top.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
Wouldn't you need a step-up transformer to actually get a 240V input for the mixer? Or plug into your laundry room I guess (since those are 240V outlets). Feeding it 110 will probably not work unless it says it's rated for 110~240V.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Synergy013 posted:

I think a bone color would go really well with them and make them pop. Maybe stripes?

Also, yes. Pop! Goes the Monkey has really great quality stuff. I've testified about them in the 8th thread, but here's a photo of the EXTREME detail on their Howling Griffons bits.

They fit perfectly onto the shoulder pads and they look really good.

Synergy013
Jul 24, 2007
Series of tubes?

Zuul the Cat posted:

They fit perfectly onto the shoulder pads and they look really good.

Thanks. I don't want to drop money on something nobody I know hasn't used yet.

As for all the other feedback I might do a pass of the dark gray/black on a few other parts. Muh stealth.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Arcturas posted:

Get a picture of the label on the machine, it might accept 110->240v. A lot of things do now. Do not plug it in till you have checked this. :v:

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I think I posted this once before, but I did this, and it works great. Cost me all of $5 for the clamp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMmMls-GYOI

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

:pwn: update:

Luckily, homeboy wasn't very thorough with the green stuff, and it was mostly just the green compound. Hopefully I can clean out the rest of this crap.

The original head was still on it, but I popped it into the body. Once I safely crack this egg open, I'll see how much of the actual head is there under the green.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Luckily, homeboy wasn't very thorough with the green stuff, and it was mostly just the green compound. Hopefully I can clean out the rest of this crap.

The original head was still on it, but I popped it into the body. Once I safely crack this egg open, I'll see how much of the actual head is there under the green.

I kinda like it with the giant gaping hole and eyeless body. it's kinda terrifying.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Thanks all. Maybe I'll swing back on Tuesday to get pictures of all angles of the mixer. If I can get an adapter for less than $20, getting a working vortex mixer setup for $30 would be awesome.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Crack it open, light it wih leds, and put some sort of hosed up cave diorama in there

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Funzo posted:

I think I posted this once before, but I did this, and it works great. Cost me all of $5 for the clamp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMmMls-GYOI

I did look at doing this with an old reciprocating saw thing i have, but its just hassle. The vortex mixer will sit on my desk and I can just hold pants on it for a few seconds.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I just wasted 70 bucks on a vortex mixer. loving goons!

Edit: this thing is going to be great! I am going to paint it gloss enamel black, and its gonna be great!

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jul 22, 2017

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

Update 2:

Still need to clean up more of it, head isn't glued in yet either. I was thinking of under-slinging the tyranid claw, or maybe having it protrude from the back over the head.

Thoughts?

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Update 2:

Still need to clean up more of it, head isn't glued in yet either. I was thinking of under-slinging the tyranid claw, or maybe having it protrude from the back over the head.

Thoughts?

I like the gaping hole.

But if you must put a head on it, this looks good.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

dexefiend posted:

I just wasted 70 bucks on a vortex mixer. loving goons!

Edit: this thing is going to be great! I am going to paint it gloss enamel black, and its gonna be great!

I am glad to have initiated the latest expensive stupid thing goon painters buy. Anyone remember the gesso craze

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Update 2:

Thoughts?

Ghetto version 2.

I really don't like that slapped on head. But it's your model. Do what you like.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

Indolent Bastard posted:

Ghetto version 2.

I really don't like that slapped on head. But it's your model. Do what you like.

Fair enough. I'm working with what I have on hand. I thought about trying to find some hellbrute bits, just not sure what I can do aside from ungluing the whole thing to mount a stock one.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Aw, man, I liked the crazy Tyranid claw.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Fair enough. I'm working with what I have on hand. I thought about trying to find some hellbrute bits, just not sure what I can do aside from ungluing the whole thing to mount a stock one.

Strip it

TTerrible posted:

I am glad to have initiated the latest expensive stupid thing goon painters buy. Anyone remember the gesso craze

That was funny, had people shouting at goons who were like, "spray primer is fine :shrug:".

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

I don't think it needs a head or a face of any kind. You might have to disassemble it to put it in but maybe something like a single large eye or a spiky mouth or a tentacle worming it's way out? Just go full-blown chaos and put something horrific in there it doesn't need to be a little teeny head.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

TTerrible posted:

I actually talked myself out if it last year, and now I want one again :mad: Looking forward to hearing people's experience with them. I'm sure they are great, they are basically designed for doing exactly what we want.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

Definitely going to strip the paint. I like the idea of making its head into an eyeball or leaving it a gaping maw. I'll check around for some chaos bit lots on ebay or something.

I still want to work the claw in somehow, but I was thinking of modeling it into a hellforged contemptor dreadnought, and wysiwyging the weapons.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

HardCoil posted:

I'm sure they are great, they are basically designed for doing exactly what we want.
They are great, the question is whether they are $100 -great.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I have a small number of Sisters of Battle that I want to paint, mostly for fun but potentially to use in a very small game like Shadow War, or stand-ins for other games like Scrappers. So we're basically talking about a squads worth of regular Sisters, a heavy weapon, a couple special weapons, no vehicles or non-Sisters units.

Problem is, I'm kind of stumped for a color scheme. Most of the stock schemes are black/red/white, and I'm not particularly taken by them. I'd like to do something substantially different that still fits into their sort of gothic look. Anyone have any suggestions? It seems like it ought to be a tricolor, for armor/robes/accents.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Ashcans posted:

Problem is, I'm kind of stumped for a color scheme. Most of the stock schemes are black/red/white, and I'm not particularly taken by them. I'd like to do something substantially different that still fits into their sort of gothic look. Anyone have any suggestions? It seems like it ought to be a tricolor, for armor/robes/accents.
How about St. Pauli Girl in power armor?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

My problem has always been that I take WAY too much time on rank and file for the kind of results I get. Then I get frustrated before ever finishing my 500000000 Orks or whatever, and give up. The result is half-painted junk. Recently I've been looking into speed painting methods.

Basically what I do is prime (black or grey), apply a basecoat of whatever colour will be most prominent, pick out things that will be differently coloured and then slap on a heavy wash. I won't win any painting competitions with this stuff, but for playing I think I'm on to a winner.

And also, I'm looking for some way of applying this to the other half of my Dark Imperium box, the Primaris Marines. There aren't so many of them that I couldn't spend more time on individual models, but I just kinda want to get this done so I can actually play with fully painted forces for once in my life.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
All of those minis are ace. Whatever you're doing, keep it up.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Haven't painted anything in ages as the prospect of having to re-buy pretty much everything after all my painting supplies ( :rip: £100's of VMC paints and W&N brushes) got destroyed during a house renovation . So yesterday I popped down to the local model shop and bought a few citadel paints and washesshades and some other poo poo to paint up the Nurgle stuff from the 40k set. Made a start on the bloat drone because I hate large things and figure I may as well get it done first.

Just waiting for a decent brush to be delivered for the last few touches as I've only got the base brush and shade brush that are both loving massive (you can see my finger smudges where I blended the greens with my hand instead). At least my can of trusty automotive grey primer still worked.

Sleepyjacked
Sep 21, 2010

I don't think I can really hold a candle to a lot of the amazing work I see in this thread, but I just finished one of my favorite Infinity models, and thought I'd share.
I'm very open to input and advice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
That looks really good!

What's the name of that specific model?