Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Smart Car posted:

Nah Defiance did grant the max HP, it's just that the bonus healing in Defiance was based on your Wrath stacks. Holmgang also didn't have the "You can't die while this is up" part of it, it was just a bind.

So it is :shobon:

For some reason I confused the healing and the actual HP. The truth isn't especially better than what I remembered, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!

Virulence posted:

There are a lot of casted attacks/abilities where the boss will still autoattack while it's casting them.

I still cannot remember Nael auto attacking during the cast for Ravensbeak though, and I solo tanked that fight a lot while we we learning it and then for some farm runs later.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

HiKaizer posted:

I still cannot remember Nael auto attacking during the cast for Ravensbeak though, and I solo tanked that fight a lot while we we learning it and then for some farm runs later.

There's a couple of Ravensbeaks where an autoattack happens immediately after the cast bar. I couldn't tell you which "goes off" first, but I definitely wouldn't be comfortable popping a single-hit immunity for it either.

e: Looked up a video real quick, if you go to 1:57 here you'll see an autoattack hit right before Ravensbeak's damage applies. That's why Sheltron is bad.

Niton fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Sep 4, 2015

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Technogeek posted:

And so the problem with non-Western religions is that they can get away with being wishy-washy since they are filled with magical thought than rational philosophy. It had been the last stages of Aristotelian/Platonic philosophy that had arrived to the conclusion reiterated by Western religions: 1.What ever begins to exist has a cause. 2.The universe began to exist. 3. Therefore, the universe has a cause. If you believe the Universe existed forever, then you must not know how the Law of Thermodynamics works- namely that processes in a closed system reaches for equilibrium; if infinite, the universe would've ran out of energy long ago. Since the universe can't cause itself, then the cause must be beyond the Universe, beyond space, time, immaterial, eternal, and powerful. Much better than an egg or whatever it is they believe in eastern religions.

How does this even come up in the official forums

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Man, as someone that mains PLD, the last few pages sure are depressing.

Leveling through the expansion I saw the struggle with aggro starting but loved the skills added as it made the class more than 1-2-3 (now we have 1-2-4 and 1-5-6!) and we finally got some healing stuff. Since I'm not doing savage I don't feel the full extent of the pain, but it's certainly noticeable fairly often. With good DPS in EXDR I need to spam flash ~4 times and RoH combo each monster to maintain aggro 99% of the time. You almost never get to use your DoT combo since nothing has enough health to make it worth it by the time you can afford the aggro loss, and even doing the RA combo can be rare with really good DPS. You can forget about stance dancing too. Hell, did an EXDR yesterday with some goons, slightly fudged my opening combo on a boss and lost aggro to the BLM we had...I felt pretty embarrassed about that one...

With your average pubbie, it's not nearly as obvious and I can often get my other combos in fairly frequently. I'd love to see an eniminity buff at the very least, but something to bring up our DPS (especially AoE, good lord it's bad) would be pretty great too. While I'm dreaming can we lower the casting time on Clemency and make it trigger Divine Veil? That would be really great.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
That would make sense, I remember all of those fun auto attacks after stuff like Death Sentence so I am not really surprised that Nael would auto attack immediately after the cast. I just don't remember her attacking during it was all. I have no opinions on Shelltron not having leveled PLD past 50.

Virulence
Jun 14, 2012

HiKaizer posted:

I don't think Nael did it during, but I know Bahamut did autoattack during Megaflare and Gigaflare casts. Living Liquid also autoattacks during all of his casts.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

cheetah7071 posted:

How does this even come up in the official forums

As far as I can tell, some ultrareactionary traditionalist Catholic is extremely mad at the wily, irrational Orientals at Square-Enix for making the Archbishop of Ishgard a shady guy and thus insulting the basis of all rational thought and Western culture, the Catholic Church

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

A page and a half ago isn't necroposting, right?

Holyshoot posted:

I can't have my tank stance off at the start on an exdr with good dps as a drk unless I just want to be doing 123 for the first 30 seconds and using all my mana up on dark arts power slashes. I'll tank a exdr tonight on my pld and i bet I can be in tank stance for the first 30 seconds and switch to sword oath and be able to do my dps rotation.

I hope you aren't implying that you ever waste MP on Power Slash. That's kind of telling.

Fister Roboto posted:

Did you know that the paladin's threat combo has less potency AND lower enmity modifiers than either of the other classes'? Rage of Halone is 2050 enmity potency, while Butcher's Block is 2390 and Power Slash is 2570 without Dark Arts. That's before you factor in damage buffs from Maim or Darkside, which have 100% uptime, compared with Fight or Flight which only has 33% uptime, making it a lower increase overall. Basically Rage of Halone was balanced around the fact that it was a paladin's only combo while a warrior would have to alternate between Butcher's Block and Storm combos. But now that paladins have two new combos that they need to use, they never bothered to buff Halone to compensate.

While I agree with your conclusion, I'm not sure where you got your enmity potency values from unless the modifiers I've been going off of have been wrong this whole time (and actually paints an even bleaker po:

Halone is 260 potency with a 5x threat mod. Combine with Shield oath for -20% damage +100% enmity for 2080
Butcher's is 280 potency, 5x threat mod, and Defiance is -25% damage +100% enmity, plus 20% from Maim for 2520
Power Slash is 300 potency, 5.5x threat mod, and Grit is -20% damage, +130% enmity, and then 15% from Darkside for 3491

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Klades posted:

While I agree with your conclusion, I'm not sure where you got your enmity potency values from unless the modifiers I've been going off of have been wrong this whole time (and actually paints an even bleaker po:

Halone is 260 potency with a 5x threat mod. Combine with Shield oath for -20% damage +100% enmity for 2080
Butcher's is 280 potency, 5x threat mod, and Defiance is -25% damage +100% enmity, plus 20% from Maim for 2520
Power Slash is 300 potency, 5.5x threat mod, and Grit is -20% damage, +130% enmity, and then 15% from Darkside for 3491

I was referring to the full combo, and before taking stance modifiers and buffs into account. Halone is 150 + 200*3 + 260*5 = 2050. Also I'm pretty sure Butcher's is 5.5x as well. Didn't know that Grit was a higher multiplier also, that's nice.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

No wonder DRK is enmity easy mode.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Actually according to bluegarter, all tank stances are 2.3x enmity now.

Tonight I tanked A1S as a warrior. Despite only having a hive axe and prototype gear, I did more damage than my paladin with as much eso gear as I could get up to this point. The tank buster wasn't even a problem because I could pop Vengeance, Inner Beast, and Equilibrium for each one and also have Storm's Path applied for it. I also buffed my cotank's damage during the first phase which makes a huge difference.

Griz
May 21, 2001

hobbesmaster posted:

No wonder DRK is enmity easy mode.

and people still manage to gently caress it up

I just did exdr with a DRK in 180 gear who was doing baby pulls in Neverreap with grit on and still lost aggro every time to the BLM in 160 gear, the dragoon, or 3 holy and an assize.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

The Chairman posted:

As far as I can tell, some ultrareactionary traditionalist Catholic is extremely mad at the wily, irrational Orientals at Square-Enix for making the Archbishop of Ishgard a shady guy and thus insulting the basis of all rational thought and Western culture, the Catholic Church

is there anybody who didn't see that dude in the loving trailer and go "hey look the main villian" because it's the head of a religion in a jrpg

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Also because the bad guys that you've been fighting for all of 2.x were shown standing behind him

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Disregard.

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Sep 4, 2015

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

Tonight I tanked A1S as a warrior. Despite only having a hive axe and prototype gear, I did more damage than my paladin with as much eso gear as I could get up to this point. The tank buster wasn't even a problem because I could pop Vengeance, Inner Beast, and Equilibrium for each one and also have Storm's Path applied for it. I also buffed my cotank's damage during the first phase which makes a huge difference.

Doesn't Holmgang also align perfectly with Compressed Plasma so that you can just blow it every time and pretend nothing happened?

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

Huh, I hadn't heard that. Kind of takes some steam out of the "DARK KNIGHT ENMITY MACHINE" pain train; Now the primary advantage is the ability to use their AoE abilities a lot (as long as they're being hit by things)

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Vermain posted:

Doesn't Holmgang also align perfectly with Compressed Plasma so that you can just blow it every time and pretend nothing happened?

It's slightly too long (3min vs 2min), but you can pop it and Equilibrium for 1st + 3rd and have like 50 buffs for the second.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I like PLD if only because I constantly ping-pong between confidence and anxiety when I'm trying to do the tanking thing, so having a mechanically simple job with that is nice.

I feel like I would enjoy DRK if I can ever shake off the weird tanking anxiety I tend to have.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Vermain posted:

Nah, holmgang is 3 minutes while the tankbuster is 2 minutes apart. And it's actually kind of poo poo for dealing with tankbusters because it doesn't actually mitigate any damage unless it would kill you. Using it for Akh Morn in T13 was kind of a cheese method, and you absolutely needed a paladin to cover you for it to work.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
The worst part of melding is the loving animation. I want a "Hey, keep trying to meld this until it's successful or i run out of materia" option.

WobblySausage
Nov 7, 2014

:bahgawd:

Story-mandatory 8-man duties tend to have lovely loving queues.

All the white is mostly spoiler stuff.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Thanks for not spoiling the fact that you fight Ultima Weapon two years ago.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Griz posted:

and people still manage to gently caress it up

I just did exdr with a DRK in 180 gear who was doing baby pulls in Neverreap with grit on and still lost aggro every time to the BLM in 160 gear, the dragoon, or 3 holy and an assize.

You see there's all these shiny buttons other than blood price, unleash and abyssal drain for you to push.

WobblySausage
Nov 7, 2014

Fister Roboto posted:

Thanks for not spoiling the fact that you fight Ultima Weapon two years ago.

Ah yeah everyone has been playing this game for 2 years. It's not like there's a trial goons linkshell for new players or anything.

:spergin:

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

WobblySausage posted:

Ah yeah everyone has been playing this game for 2 years. It's not like there's a trial goons linkshell for new players or anything.

:spergin:

It's not even like Ultima Weapon is all that earthshattering, it's revealed pretty early on in the plot and it was executed really really poorly. Holy poo poo Praetorium was such a poorly done dungeon.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Also it's a Final Fantasy game. You haven't not fought Ultima Weapon for like 20 years.

Brannock posted:

It's not even like Ultima Weapon is all that earthshattering, it's revealed pretty early on in the plot and it was executed really really poorly. Holy poo poo Praetorium was such a poorly done dungeon.

Hell yeah let's make a dungeon with MGS-levels of cutscenes and then make people run it for endgame currency.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Sep 4, 2015

WobblySausage
Nov 7, 2014
Meh everyone spoiler tags it on the FFXIV Reddit (the only Reddit I read) so I did the same. Plus I got spoiled on a certain octopus yesterday in a side quest and that kind of bummed me out. I was like an hour from seeing it myself. No biggie or whatever, but the story is pretty cool.

45 minutes in this loving queue and I'm now the only DPS. Dammit.

edit: yeah Praetorium bothered me with the cut scenes. I wish they could leave the story to those like instances where you level sync and just throw some npcs in for flavor like they always do.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Guilt trip some 60s in your FC to run it unsynced.

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

Fishious posted:

I don't see how paladin is better than dark knight on any of the other 3 turns but it's a difference that shouldn't cripple a clear.

Paladin are easier on the group in A2 but dark knights are absolutely wiping the floor on DPS due to the fact that paladin have no significant aoe dps. They can present more mitigation for A3 but all this adds up to is more sword oath uptime that still doesn't beat dark knight DPS. I don't see how Paladin are better in any way on A1, dark knights can stack so many cooldowns for plasma they don't even need to go back into grit and are once against better DPS. DPS is the focus because mitigation is just a check, and the bar is usually reachable by anyone. They need to rethink how they design raids or just homogenize the DPS of all 3 tank jobs.

The funny thing is that they said paladin does less DPS because it is more tanky and, ignoring how this is a bad trade-off since raids encourage you to strip down as much as possible for DPS, this is not true at all. paladin just have more options for physical damage while dark knight has more options for magic. And almost like they didn't learn at all from FCoB they shifted the weight of tank side damage so far towards magic that paladin are the most squishy of the 3 on A4.

Paladin never has to leave Sword Oath on A1S or A3s. Having a PLD on A3S ensures your WAR offtank never goes into defiance (except for 5 stacking the debuff if that's a thing that you do). Paladins on A2S can tank so much extra damage that once again your WAR has to leave Deliverance basically in no part of the fight (other than until the first Jagd Doll hitting them is killed, or you can just have the PLD tank three of them).

Paladin doesn't do amazing straight dps, sure, but an absolutely on the ball raid group is going to benefit more from having a PLD there to boost raid dps significantly by enabling your off tank to do much more damage, even while tanking, in a way that a DRK never will because DRK doesn't reduce auto attack damage to the point of triviality (and A3s Cleave damage). On A1S you can quibble a bit because the buster is magic, but at least the PLD shouldn't ever need to swap. On A4S this doesn't pan out because of so much damage being magic, where DRK obviously shines.

Of course this doesn't apply to 16 hour/day groups/people pushing for week 1 clears on everything since you don't have the gear to do that or whatever, but balancing a game around that is insanity. Also if you manage never using tank stances ever with DRK on the other turns then obviously you'll want to use that since non-tank stance DRK/WAR is going to be more dps, but not sure if you can do it as much with DRK as PLD obviously enables you to.

Having said all that for people who aren't 100% on the ball then yes PLD needs a buff, and I guess if you want to balance for 4 man groups instead of 8 man. :v:

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Ignimbrite posted:

Also because the bad guys that you've been fighting for all of 2.x were shown standing behind him

I mean Hydaelyn herself could tell you 'this is a good guy' and I'd still think that he's going to be evil because

sword_man.gif posted:

it's the head of a religion in a jrpg

Also I really wish there was an easy way to have multiple glamour sets for my SMN/BLM Alex gear.

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008

FaintlyQuaint posted:

Paladin doesn't do amazing straight dps, sure, but an absolutely on the ball raid group is going to benefit more from having a PLD there to boost raid dps significantly by enabling your off tank to do much more damage, even while tanking, in a way that a DRK never will because DRK doesn't reduce auto attack damage to the point of triviality (and A3s Cleave damage). On A1S you can quibble a bit because the buster is magic, but at least the PLD shouldn't ever need to swap. On A4S this doesn't pan out because of so much damage being magic, where DRK obviously shines.

I'm sorry but what? Firstly every single top WAR parse here has a DRK as their co-tank so I'm not sure what on the ball raid groups this theoretical is applying to. I don't see how dark knights ever force a war to enter definance to snap threat, they both have combos that are devoid of threat modifiers and should be using them when threat is being taken. Secondly having a shield with a rng block rate isn't reducing AA damage to triviality, I'm still popping awareness on hand to prevent that dreaded 10k auto crit.

And that stuff about A2, you do know what dps DRKs are doing there? How does this weird math about tanking more damage ever equate to the massive gap between paladin and dark knight DPS on an aoe fight? The top paladin and dark knight on the spreadsheets I linked have a 500 dps gap. It sounds suspiciously like healers who try to argue that pulling big is a dps loss because they can't DPS as much.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah uh the shield is like 5% mitigation on average. That's pretty far from trivializing auto-attacks. Reprisal is 6.66% mitigation on average and works on a lot more than just auto-attacks!

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
I don't know why you guys are wasting so many words on Paladin when the tank that needs the most buffing is Dragoon.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Well, I finally pried myself from other games to get back into FFXIV, get Alexander done, and maybe level a job or two on the side. But first, lets see what this Moonfire Faire thing is abou

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Ok so i just got my full set of ilvl 115 from Heavensward MSQ..from here..how long roughly (if i skip cutscenes) until I am at end of the story? Like how much time invested roughly to go? The quests I'm on and about to turn in are Knights Be Not Proud / A Reward Long in Coming.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
You sound like you've never seen a male roegadyn in a subligar before.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Obscurity posted:

Ok so i just got my full set of ilvl 115 from Heavensward MSQ..from here..how long roughly (if i skip cutscenes) until I am at end of the story? Like how much time invested roughly to go? The quests I'm on and about to turn in are Knights Be Not Proud / A Reward Long in Coming.

Don't skip cutscenes dumbass, it's a Final Fantasy game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Obscurity posted:

Roughly the same amount of time it took to get through the ARR MSQ. Also

Whizbang posted:

Don't skip cutscenes dumbass, it's a Final Fantasy game.

• Locked thread