Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Onmi posted:

Well I was saying for "That specific book" of course Tomasi was writing for DC before, but unless I'm mistaken he wasn't writing Superman until Rebirth. Like... if Spider-man gets announced to be written by Dan Slott post Legacy... what's changed? Numbering? It's still Slott. If Bendis is still writing for Miles then what did the relaunch change for him beyond a new No.1? I apologize for the confusion when I was talking about perceived freshness.
I mean, if you single out Superman and Spider-Man, then yes. But Spider-Man is a real edge case; Dan Slott has had a death grip on Amazing Spider-Man since late 2010, and Brian Michael Bendis created Miles Morales in late 2011, and is still writing Miles's book. Their runs on these books have survived (though Miles was in the Ultimate Universe for most of it) through Fear Itself/Shattered Heroes, AvX, Marvel NOW, Original Sin, AXIS, All-New Marvel, Secret Wars, Marvel NOW 2.0, Civil War II, Secret Empire, and (presumably) Marvel Legacy. If those are the only two characters you're following there's no change.

But again, those are edge cases. Unless I'm forgetting someone, the only other books that have had the same writer/creative team for more than a year or two are:
2012-present: Jason Aaron on Thor
2014-present: Gerry Duggan on Deadpool
2014-present: G. Willow Wilson on Ms. Marvel
2015-present: Brian Michael Bendis on Iron Man
2015-present: Nick Spencer on Captain America
2015-present: Ryan North & Erica Henderson on Squirrel Girl

Aaron and Duggan's runs are both generally well-liked and seem to be building to their natural endings. Wilson created Ms. Marvel (like Bendis created Miles) and North/Henderson may as well have created the modern concept of Squirrel Girl, and both books are also generally very well-liked. Bendis on Iron Man gets mixed reviews, and Nick Spencer is Nick Spencer, but at least Spencer is definitely wrapping up his Cap storyline and there will be a new creative team on Cap soon.

Maybe this really is a marketing coup in terms of the illusion of change, but even with Superman before Rebirth you had:

Dan Jurgens doing Lois and Clark (now he's doing Action Comics)
Gene Yang doing the main Superman book (now he's doing New Super Man)
Peter Tomasi doing Superman/Wonder Woman (now he's doing Superman)
Greg Pak doing Action (now he's not with DC)

Scott Snyder shifted from writing Batman to writing All-Star Batman and a Batmancentric Event.
Scott Lobdell had come back to Red Hood in *2014* and had been back writing it for nearly two years before Rebirth.
James Tynion IV was writing those Eternal minis and Batman/TMNT and a bunch of other Bat-projects before taking over Detective.

In the calendar year of 2017 Marvel has already launched/relaunched the entire X-Men and Inhumans lines (sans Ms. Marvel/Moon Girl/Wolverine) with new creative teams, there are new creative teams on Captain Marvel, Guardians of the Galaxy, Doctor Strange, and a bunch of lesser books too. Perhaps their mistake is not holding it all off on one month and declaring EVERYTHING IS A NEW NUMBER ONE AGAIN like DC did with Rebirth, but that would be invoke its own perceptions of awfulness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think Bendis had been on Guardians of the Galaxy since 2014? I could be wrong on that.

Wasn't Venditti also already working on Green Lantern stuff, and Harley Quinn still has the same creative team too.

I also could have sworn Percy was already writing Green Arrow, Tim Seely was on Grayson before the current Nightwing, Dan Abnett was already on Aquaman, Bryan Hitch was on Justice League of America before Justice League, Dan Abnett again wrote Titans Hunt before Titans, and Super Sons is another Tomsai book featuring Damian.

Other than that, it was mostly just a bunch of the same writers who were already working at DC getting shuffled around to different books, and returning "legends" like Greg Rucka and Christopher Priest. Then two of the three major event books are by Scott Snyder and Geoff Johns.

I think DC has done a lot of good stuff with Rebirth, but as E&C is saying, I think it's a bit much to complain about creative teams not being new when we know pretty sparse details to the point of people being confused about Legacy, and Rebirth wasn't that much of a big shake up as far as talent goes.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Roth posted:

I think it's a bit much to complain about creative teams not being new when we know pretty sparse details to the point of people being confused about Legacy, and Rebirth wasn't that much of a big shake up as far as talent goes.

Are people complaining about books not changing creative teams enough, now? I really can't keep up with what people complain about re: comics anymore. Like Oh man, I sure love Jason Aaron's Thor run more than life itself, but I wish someone else would take over and potentially tank it! Whatever. Geeks gonna whine. Right up there with the sky being blue. FWIW I love most of the long runs E&C just mentioned, except Captain America and Spider-man (the latter of which I have never read and therefore have no opinion on). Deadpool's been losing me for a while but it looks like they've finally dropped the "Deadpool's marriage to a demon is unhappy" story, hallelujah.

Anyway. I just re-read Bendis' first Iron Man trade again today and really the only complaint I have is that Marvel can't use Doom in movies and therefore can't write Iron Man 4 based on this arc. So much fun and I think it'd have played great on the screen. e: Marvel does have the rights to Madame Masque, right? I've never checked to see if she originated in F4 or something.

Diet Poison fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jun 25, 2017

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Diet Poison posted:

Anyway. I just re-read Bendis' first Iron Man trade again today and really the only complaint I have is that Marvel can't use Doom in movies and therefore can't write Iron Man 4 based on this arc. So much fun and I think it'd have played great on the screen.

This is one of the things that infuriates me the most. As much as I want Marvel to have control and put out a new FF movie, I REALLY want them to have control of Doom so they can use him in future Iron Man/Avengers movies.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Didn't Jason Aaron say at some point that he wants to keep writing Thor for as long as they'll keep him there?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

They also need to figure out the movie rights for Namor. Namor/Panther/Doom in one movie would be amazing.

On Word Balloon, Aaron said he'd like a full shelf of Thor omnibi before he quits. He's probably having as much fun writing it as he we do reading it.

Open Marriage Night fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jun 25, 2017

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think Jason Aaron seems to just really like doing long runs, because he said something kinda similar-ish about his Star Wars run.

Diet Poison posted:

Are people complaining about books not changing creative teams enough, now?

I mean, sometimes I feel like people are complaining about Marvel just to complain about everything they do, so it's not that surprising to me.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

I was basing "Aaron is wrapping up his Thor run" mostly because it definitely looks like he's wrapping up the "Jane Foster as Thor/War of the Realms" storyline by the end of the year, and I assumed that would be a natural end to his run, I'm fully prepared and happy to be wrong though.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I feel like Jane dying from her cancer is too obvious, but they're also treating the issue realistically enough that I doubt they'd have her find some kind of magical cure for it.

I do like that I have no idea where they're going with it.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

I mean, there's definitely a place for noble warriors who die a brave death in a couple of the Nine (Ten?) Realms that are currently undergoing a major upheaval.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Open Marriage Night posted:

They also need to figure out the movie rights for Namor. Namor/Panther/Doom in one movie would be amazing.

Oh my god I would love this so much!

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Diet Poison posted:

e: Marvel does have the rights to Madame Masque, right? I've never checked to see if she originated in F4 or something.

They used her in S2 of Agent Carter, though never outright said the alias, just her actual name.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Roth posted:

I think Jason Aaron seems to just really like doing long runs, because he said something kinda similar-ish about his Star Wars run.

They both have rich mythologies that blend fantasy and science fiction. As long as they sell, a writer like Aaron could go for years without tiring.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Sentinel Red posted:

They used her in S2 of Agent Carter, though never outright said the alias, just her actual name.

Nice! Did she have the mask or was it supposed to be pre-adoption of the alias, perhaps?

Edge & Christian posted:

I was basing "Aaron is wrapping up his Thor run" mostly because it definitely looks like he's wrapping up the "Jane Foster as Thor/War of the Realms" storyline by the end of the year, and I assumed that would be a natural end to his run, I'm fully prepared and happy to be wrong though.

I'm almost positive I read something in which he said the Jane Foster mega-arc was part two of three as far as his grand Thor epic was concerned. Coulda been a letters page, coulda been an online interview, coulda pulled it out of my rear end during a fever dream.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

pubic works project posted:

Thankfully I have a friend at my LCS that lets me read her digital stuff and then another friend at a Half Price Books that gives me a heads up when someone brings in some recent stuff. :D

I'm in a FB group where the members trade their digital codes to help offset the costs of buying comics. It's pretty smart honestly.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Diet Poison posted:

Nice! Did she have the mask or was it supposed to be pre-adoption of the alias, perhaps?

She's very different in the show. Her mask was more metaphorical as she had to hide her true intelligence, technical expertise, and political ambition behind the persona of a movie star in the 1940s, but she came into contact with zero matter from the Darkforce dimension and it gradually disfigured her face. The more it cracked, the more her true self came through.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Diet Poison posted:

She was a Hedy Lamarr style Hollywood actress/super smart inventor on the sly. She conducts some kind of dark energy experiment at Roxxon and ends up connected to it, scarring her face with an ever growing crack as a result. Don't remember her wearing a mask though, she tended to style her hair or wear veiled fascinators to cover it up instead. She totally took over the local Mafia and stylishly kills a bunch of chumps though.

They should give her extended lifespan or something and bring her back for a Netflix series sparring with (the cool) Hawkeye, the lady who played her was great.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Open Marriage Night posted:

On Word Balloon, Aaron said he'd like a full shelf of Thor omnibi before he quits. He's probably having as much fun writing it as he we do reading it.

If only we could get Hickmans Avengers arcs and Illuminati

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Sentinel Red posted:

She was a Hedy Lamarr style Hollywood actress/super smart inventor on the sly. She conducts some kind of dark energy experiment at Roxxon and ends up connected to it, scarring her face with an ever growing crack as a result. Don't remember her wearing a mask though, she tended to style her hair or wear veiled fascinators to cover it up instead. She totally took over the local Mafia and stylishly kills a bunch of chumps though.

They should give her extended lifespan or something and bring her back for a Netflix series sparring with (the cool) Hawkeye, the lady who played her was great.

She never wore a mask, but she starred in a movie titled "The Woman In The Golden Mask". Having a disfigured face and being involved with both science and magic ("zero matter" was darkforce), she was basically Doctor Doom and I thought her Hedy Lamarr reinvention was so inspired that I was really hoping she'd become the MCU's substitute for him, becoming immortal and threatening other MCU TV shows I guess since there's no way she'd ever be able to transition to the movies.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
While I'm still bummed about the loss of the Mark Waid happy Daredevil status quo, I'm caught up on Charles Soule's run and have to give some credit. I find the current storyline where he's trying to set legal precedent for letting superheroes testify in court without revealing their identities to be clever. Also, the reveal for how his identity was put back in the bottle was about as good as you could do that sort of revision and brought back some characters I liked.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I mean, it is clever, but super heroes have testified tons of times without revealing their identity in court already.

(She-Hulk Vol 1 #4)

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Decius posted:

I mean, it is clever, but super heroes have testified tons of times without revealing their identity in court already.

(She-Hulk Vol 1 #4)

This is one of my favourite comic book issues ever. It's so good. :allears:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Decius posted:

(She-Hulk Vol 1 #4)

ignoring what happened in previous issues is a time honored tradition of comic books

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Decius posted:

(She-Hulk Vol 1 #4)

That was a civil case not a criminal one.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

If Spider-Man can testify in court as Spider-Man, why could he not cash a check as Spider-Man back in the 60s?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

If Spider-Man can testify in court as Spider-Man, why could he not cash a check as Spider-Man back in the 60s?

:capitalism:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
You'd think they could just pay Spider-Man in cash.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
There's one thing that maybe we haven't talked about in talking about Marvel's recent foibles and it's the fact that the books driving the lines, which is to say, the events and the books those events spin from, have been depressing as poo poo to read. Heroes being hypocritical dipshits and making America into a white nationalist ethnostate is maybe an interesting story to pull once in a while, but it's been the basis of back-to-back events between Standoff, Civil War II, Inhumans vs. X-Men, Secret Empire and I'm probably forgetting some. At some point, trying to understand the current Marvel status quo is a chore materially and emotionally. And sometimes the books aren't even good, which makes it worse.

The DC Rebirth line opened with an 80-page one-shot promising poo poo wouldn't be miserable all the goddamn time, and that's a pretty compelling argument to make when you're selling the comfort food of fiction.

Mountain Dew Code Bread
Mar 20, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

You'd think they could just pay Spider-Man in cash.

These days Spider-Man only accepts payment in bitcoin.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Mountain Dew Code Bread posted:

These days Spider-Man only accepts payment in bitcoin.

"Please follow and subscribe to my friendly neighborhood Twitch.tv channel!"

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Cabbit posted:

"Please follow and subscribe to my friendly neighborhood Twitch.tv channel!"

"Here at Parker Industries, we try to do our best to keep a friendly and neighborhood image. Now, we know everyone loves my personal bodyguard, Spider-man. For years, all you could find about his exploits were misrepresented photographs in the tabloid paper, the Daily Bugle. But, today, we are bringing his adventures straight to you. Partnering with Twitch.tv, you can tune in when he's out patrolling to see all the action live from a body camera we will be fitting to his costume. All the action, all the villains, all the web-swinging thrills, right on your screen. Subscribe today!

Was that a good take? Never really did commercials before. I mean, I think marketing wrote up a good spiel for this. Oh, are we still rolling?"

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Waffleman_ posted:

Didn't have a super powered lawyer backing him up

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Also keep in mind that like 10 minutes after the bank problem, Spidey gets fired from his wrestling gig because Jameson has started his crusade against him. I'm sure if he didn't become a hated menace overnight he could've found a working arrangement.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Is the explanation that Spidey's webbing dissolves after a short amount of time still the canon reason why it was never marketed as a adhesive?

Actually, come to think about it, I think that was originally the explanation as to why there aren't a billion weblines covering tall buildings that was also later used to explain why Peter was never able to sell his formula.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I dislike talking about Peter's webs for an extended amount of time due to all the times he web goop's peoples faces close

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Is the explanation that Spidey's webbing dissolves after a short amount of time still the canon reason why it was never marketed as a adhesive?

Actually, come to think about it, I think that was originally the explanation as to why there aren't a billion weblines covering tall buildings that was also later used to explain why Peter was never able to sell his formula.

I hated that stupid loving commercial for one of the Spider-man video games where the window washers are cleaning web off every building so much. Learn the loving lore!!!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lurdiak posted:

I hated that stupid loving commercial for one of the Spider-man video games where the window washers are cleaning web off every building so much. Learn the loving lore!!!

Well now Lurdiak, that was for the movie game and we don't know how long his organic webs lasted in the movie so there's no lore to know!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

I imagine it would be both "why Peter Parker, noted dumbass, doesn't sell it and become a millionaire" and also why nobody was able to copy it - if it dissolves that quickly, presumably into harmless crap, it isn't likely to be easily analyzed.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Hey in case anyone was wondering if Marvel has decided to stop marginalizing the Fantastic Four

https://forums.marvelheroes.com/discussion/324773/important-notice-regarding-the-fantastic-four-and-silver-surfer/p1?new=1

the answer is a solid no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Blockhouse posted:

Hey in case anyone was wondering if Marvel has decided to stop marginalizing the Fantastic Four

https://forums.marvelheroes.com/discussion/324773/important-notice-regarding-the-fantastic-four-and-silver-surfer/p1?new=1

the answer is a solid no

People can't look at that without an account.

• Locked thread