Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Fajita Queen posted:

Regarding the tfr stuff it's always funny and a little sad when a subcommunity gets so insular that they accuse other goons of brigading them and hand out day+ probes for mild trolling. Nothing is a more surefire sign that a community has become completely rancid.

This poo poo keeps happening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

TheMightyBoops posted:

I should install CK 2 and take another crack at it. All the stories I hear about games people have played are complete madness.

In that game Greeks do it because it’s what Byzantium loves and it’s kinda their gimmick set of verbs, where like norsemen can raid as opposed to siege, etc, and I guess the problem is they didn’t program Greeks to weigh their options against their goals or relationships lol, but the purpose of either action in-game is to sterilize, terrorize or weaken your rivals basically.

Mock Turtle
Jul 19, 2022

TheMightyBoops posted:

Lol I googled it to read more about this specific CK 2 Greek thing and got this post from the paradox forums:

paradox gamers born in a different era would've been the guys inventing bespoke medieval torture methods

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
what was the columbine avatar? they're all hogg avatars now

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

ilmucche posted:

what was the columbine avatar? they're all hogg avatars now

The famous Pic of the shooters in the cafeteria

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

TheMightyBoops posted:

I should install CK 2 and take another crack at it. All the stories I hear about games people have played are complete madness.

I did one game as King of Mercia and because I made two marriage decisions (Once for my Mercian king and then once for one of his kids) started a chain of events that managed to turn the entire royal family of one of the small Welsh kingdoms next door completely Ethiopian over just a few generations.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

dwarf fortress rules never figured out how to play it though

it's actually p easy once you're over the hump of the initial learning curve of the keybindings then it gets so complicated that you need like 2 or 3 third party apps to help you keep track of it unless you are Dwight Eisenhower

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
Yeah it's a weird curve. First you're deeply confused, then you figure out the keybinds and think "Oh that's not so bad", then you get a immigration wave of like 40 dwarves and have to assign all their jobs one by one taking into account their skillsets and personalities and start crying until you download dwarf therapist (I think the Steam version has the dwarf therapist UI built in if I remember right)

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
cool because a bit like fable tlc, even games that are "like" it just don't scratch the same itch. It's unique.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

ilmucche posted:

The only solution is to arm school age children and teach them how to use guns to defend themselves against other students and adults with guns.

an armed classroom is a polite classroom

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Once you realize you understand dwarf fortress you become deeply sad. Fun game though. Don't forget to take an axe with you when you embark.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
I think Rimworld's come closest but I ruined my enjoyment of it with the "Vanilla Expanded" mod bloat followed by the genetics expansion, I just put too much poo poo in it and it became unwieldy

(skill issue)

Albino Broccoli
Aug 5, 2022
I get too attached to my stupid little colonists in Rimworld so my runs never get past one of them getting mauled by a rabid squirrel or something

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

this guy walked and is immune to prosecution or civil suit because florida's stand your ground laws say you can kill anyone that touches your car while you're in it even it's just by throwing a water bottle at it.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Mr. Nice! posted:

this guy walked and is immune to prosecution or civil suit because florida's stand your ground laws say you can kill anyone that touches your car while you're in it even it's just by throwing a water bottle at it.

scared?

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

Wormskull posted:

The funny code things I remember are when Dwarf Fortress was calculating like beard hairs and poo poo, and when HOI3 came out they calculated mud percentages on all 20000 provinces every tick. I fell asleep playing republican spain at max speed on launch day and when I woke up 4 hours later it was only half way into 1937.

When birds laying eggs was patched in they made a mistake so geese would lay golden thrones instead. The patch that corrected it was corrected a day later because eggs' yolk and whites had been assigned the same mass by accident.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

When birds laying eggs was patched in they made a mistake so geese would lay golden thrones instead. The patch that corrected it was corrected a day later because eggs' yolk and whites had been assigned the same mass by accident.

Lmao

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

making GBS threads out a toilet.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

TBLALV posted:

I get too attached to my stupid little colonists in Rimworld so my runs never get past one of them getting mauled by a rabid squirrel or something

This is why DF is fun, it usually causes a very funny and stupid domino effect.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

It’s cool that they programmed so much personality into characters you really should be accepting the demise of before you even learn how to play. That’s the Toady One stroke of genius.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Wormskull posted:

goongrats

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Keeping her memory alive!
Once I understood Dwarf Fortress I also understood that DFHack was indispensable. Luckily it's a Steam app now and can be installed effortlessly alongside it.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

I'm getting the itch to play Stellaris again despite my empires usually colonizing too much for their own good and not getting to endgame.

Albino Broccoli
Aug 5, 2022

sharknado slashfic posted:

This is why DF is fun, it usually causes a very funny and stupid domino effect.

I got intimidated by the UI last time I tried it... 10 years ago? Might give the new Steam version a tey then

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Wormskull posted:

I said I'm sorry, Mama
I never meant to hurt you
I never meant to make you cry
But tonight, I'm shittin out a toilet

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Dwarf fortress adventure mode players noticed that after some playtime the character's eyes were marked as haging a coating of tears.

As it turns out, the adventure mode mechanics put the player in control of qn existing in world character, ans didn't turn off the emotion processor.

Possessed by an external force, unable to control themselves, watching as they mercilessly fought and killed... they could only cry.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

lmao

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the thrones were iron, not gold. posting standards simply unacceptable

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
df also did some crazy poo poo like try to model fluid dynamics. Mathematically a nightmare.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Do the dwarves have god drat pubes yet.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
lol a dwarf with a little beard of pubes with like beads and trinkets woven into it completely obscuring his dick and balls

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

Lol

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tunicate posted:

Dwarf fortress adventure mode players noticed that after some playtime the character's eyes were marked as haging a coating of tears.

As it turns out, the adventure mode mechanics put the player in control of qn existing in world character, ans didn't turn off the emotion processor.

Possessed by an external force, unable to control themselves, watching as they mercilessly fought and killed... they could only cry.

Oh and when disguise mechanics were added, people who were close to your adventure mode character would no longer recognize them as the same person.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

TheMightyBoops posted:

People talk about CK2 a lot but what about CK3 is it just not as good?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

What came first

The poo poo or the toilet

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I want to know more about the Balatro code, anybody got a link to that?

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Fajita Queen posted:

Regarding the tfr stuff it's always funny and a little sad when a subcommunity gets so insular that they accuse other goons of brigading them and hand out day+ probes for mild trolling. Nothing is a more surefire sign that a community has become completely rancid.

Being so ready and willing to call for forum bans over some light trolling is insanely bitch made and some of the weakest poo poo lol

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

CK3 is better but it has a lot less of the whacky crazy off the walls stuff that CK2 has accumulated over almost two decades of patches and dlc. Plus it hasn't been around long enough to collect as many fun stories yet.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

It didn't seem to take off very much when it came out, for whatever reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

MarcusSA posted:

paradox games benefit from having half a decade of patches and dlc. core mechanics are way better and the new engine doesnt just completely meltdown late game like their older games but it doesnt have all the extra content and events the older games have yet