Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Endorph posted:

it owns how weird everyone's arguments become when an anime dude has girls into him. rean is provably insanely popular with women in real life. like actual women who breathe and walk among you and have dreams love rean. this is fact. rean is provably the kind of guy women would be into. obviously being an anime character instead of a real person changes perception but like. still.

so what is the problem with women being into him, in the game. it makes sense! even absent popularity polls hes 100% the kind of guy that women would like. but suddenly people are going 'we need to Solve This Problem...'

like some of the execution is messy and stupid but if you made everyone have their government assigned heterosexual life partners that writing would also be messy and stupid because its written by the same people.

The "problem" is that this poster doesn't like relationship value writing dynamics and pitched a kind of half-assed alternative off the cuff. No one is taking the word "problem" to mean we need sweeping policy changes to combat the plague of boring anime dudes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i regret making that second post cause honestly it's still just funny to me to make a negative value judgment about tits daring to be a 2d video game in 2004. didn't know there are still people who view 2d graphics that way

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean tbh i also dont see the trails of cold steel cast really having that going on. most of the party have at least a couple relationships inside the party and outside of it. the fact that some characters dont get a ton of that is mostly down to how many party members there are, not really relatively slight dating/harem aspects. the only real issue with that stuff is the game doesn't really react to your choices and cs4 specifically doesn't have an option to do some of the endgame bond events without them being romantic. and like once or twice a lady gets like one line where she implies some interest in rean and it goes literally nowhere due to the mechanics/her not being an actual fulltime party member you could do the bond events for.

these are all problems that could be solved by like 10 minutes of rewrites and limiting rean's options a bit. iunno what having the other characters start shacking up would solve.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
mostly the idea reminds me of tales of graces f randomly deciding to shack up hubert and pascal in the future arc despite them literally never once having had a single romantic interaction or expressed interest in each other before

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the only woke number of lady party members in a game is 4. above 4 and the game is now a harem. below 4 and then someone does the "did you know no JRPG ever made has more than 3 women in the party in the history of gaming" thing

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
or that one time someone got fixated on how atelier lulua needed to confirm who rorona's husband was. that they had a moral imperative to confirm that rorona had had a heterosexual marriage with a man instead of using her alchemy to make an alchemy baby in the setting where you can make alchemy babies

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

or that one time someone got fixated on how atelier lulua needed to confirm who rorona's husband was. that they had a moral imperative to confirm that rorona had had a heterosexual marriage with a man instead of using her alchemy to make an alchemy baby in the setting where you can make alchemy babies

they did not accept my suggestion of cordelia being the child's biological parent for some reason

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

The Colonel posted:

mostly the idea reminds me of tales of graces f randomly deciding to shack up hubert and pascal in the future arc despite them literally never once having had a single romantic interaction or expressed interest in each other before

Idk, even without the Future stuff it kinda felt like Hubert had a thing for her in the main story, at least in some skits but it’s been a hot minute.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Yeah I can see that being a point for Cold Steel specifically but I can also see the shades that are there in Cold Steel being a sticking point and I really get the point about player characters with romanceable parties in general.

Pillars of Eternity did this best - you can get two of the romanceable party members in a relationship and they develop their own couple quirks and nicknames and stuff, and it's much cuter than any of the Captain endings, and it's gay too.

On the other end Zelos and Sheena have the only real party dynamic in Symphonia that isn't approval values and it sucks.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbf i do not think tales of symphonia would have a great party dynamic with or without approval values. what do regal and sheena talk about. does anyone know.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

actually not to dunk on this person who isnt in this convo but they also havent posted since 2020 so theyll survive

quote:

Rorona ending up in an adult relationship with a man and having a kid with them would buck that trend, essentially allowing Rorona to grow up instead of being kept as a pure child-waifu for the player

some peoples brains get really broken lol

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah idk if anything symphonia is one of the most minor relationship systems. it barely matters for 95% of the game. it just has very boring writing

i dont think cold steel is as negative of an example of any this as say, recent persona at all and don't really get why it's seen a specific breaking point because cold steel doesn't really like. totally lock down character arcs to hanging out with the cast. you could say persona is less odd about it because it has romantic and non-romantic splits but trails' systems are so simple that yeah it's gonna assume whoever you pick for the explicitly romantic moments is the character you want to have a romantic dynamic with. it's all mostly an issue of the series picking up relationship mechanics from other games way back in trails from zero and never really figuring out what it wants to do with them or how it can feasibly work them in across a full saga. but it was never something people complained about so harshly with the crossbell games, i think with cold steel people confused having a cast that's just a bit too big in a story struggling with pretty nasty pacing issues with... romantic writing problems? when mostly they've just made the system too forward-facing in a way that doesn't ultimately add that much but also doesn't actually take away that much either, it's basically the same as it ever was you can just directly see the numbers now. crossbell hid those

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
theres this specific mindset where someone seems extremely fixated on whether or not some random character dynamic might, potentially, appeal to weirdos in some roundabout way, and like, this is maybe mean to say, but when i see it it's like "thou doth protest too much"

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Mad Wack posted:

i've put 7 hours into sky so far and it is insanely boring and generic for anyone who has every played another jrpg or watched anime before

here's to another 40 hours of this

It's p unlikely the proceeding 40 hours will change your mind.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
idk I just don't like it when the viewpoint character feels too central for no good reason.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

The Colonel posted:

Agreed. they should have kept it as pascal poking at a self conscious nerd

this did unlock the memory that Hubert is super into power rangers tho.

Where is the remake bamco. Give me a tale of two Richards in 4K or w/e

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The Harem Problem

We need to talk about Harem

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Caphi posted:

idk I just don't like it when the viewpoint character feels too central for no good reason.

that's fair but trails as an entire series literally always has had one guy who exists to be central for a very specific and occasionally awkward plot reason. joshua wasn't the protagonist but he still basically did that in how he was written. the events of zero ultimately end up being way more personally heavy for tio and kea but lloyd is still the important viewpoint guy cause they decided every saga has to have that guy

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Colonel posted:

i regret making that second post cause honestly it's still just funny to me to make a negative value judgment about tits daring to be a 2d video game in 2004. didn't know there are still people who view 2d graphics that way

There are some people who absolutely refuse to watch a black and white movie, all kind of crazies out there.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Caphi posted:

thats fair but thats a core writing issue. like tales of vesperia isnt really a harem thing. rita gets literally nothing with yuri, patty's a joke, estelle gets like two scenes that kinda imply it, and judith's flirting with him is more banter than anything. but yuri still gets really overcentralized in the writing.

these are related problems but they arent literally the same problem and i feel like people get that mixed up some

and honestly rean gets a bit overcentralized sometimes especially in cs4 but as far as these things go cold steel is way less guilty of it than some other JRPGs.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

theres this specific mindset where someone seems extremely fixated on whether or not some random character dynamic might, potentially, appeal to weirdos in some roundabout way, and like, this is maybe mean to say, but when i see it it's like "thou doth protest too much"
in general theres this awful internet trend of people imagining the worst guy who could possibly be into something and just assuming thats the target demo. thats why you get stuff like yuri anime made by women that ran in a shoujo magazine being referred to like its 'lesbian fanservice for men' or w/e

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the converse of that is people assuming some extremely minor unexpected character dynamic or subversion of expectations is explicitly intended to pwn creeps, somehow

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the converse of that is people assuming some extremely minor unexpected character dynamic or subversion of expectations is explicitly intended to pwn creeps, somehow
i like when witch hat atelier had a bit about a dude taking magic creepshots/upskirts and the cast being disgusted by him and yelling at him and for some reason twitter thought this was an own on fanservice anime and not, the real life thing where creeps try to take weird pictures of ladies on the street.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Romance mechanics exist so I can either completely ignore them or become obsessed with creating the ultimate child soldier. Sometimes its both, Persona 5.

Sword and Fairy 7 is currently writing a romance I find simultaneously impossibly stupidly cliche on its face but one I have 100% faith its target audience loved. Hoping (but wont get) the real standard here and we introduce a bad boy npc to make this love line a little more parabolic.

Edit: More games need romances where party members fall for and woo NPCs. FFVIII once again delivering on all fronts.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jan 8, 2023

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Barudak posted:

Romance mechanics exist so I can either completely ignore them or become obsessed with creating the ultimate child soldier.

this is also the plot to Metal Gear Solid 3

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'd always heard people get mad about it turning out the patriots were your goofy mgs3 crew and then i played mgs3 and lolled when towards the end of the game para-medic randomly went on a long rant about how cool eugenics are and how much she wants to harvest snake's genes while snake just stayed awkwardly silent

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i think the "eva, i need you" scene is the hardest i've laughed at a joke in a game

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I like how .hack//imoq just didn't bother with romance outside of 1 dungeon's gimmick and instead focused on developing everyone's offline lives when not dealing with the mmorpg

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Sakurazuka posted:

There are some people who absolutely refuse to watch a black and white movie, all kind of crazies out there.

but... but how will they watch the seventh victim then :ohdear:

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

The Colonel posted:

Funniest part imo: trails in the sky is 3d! It’s not a 2d game! It’s just old!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Endorph posted:

thats fair but thats a core writing issue. like tales of vesperia isnt really a harem thing. rita gets literally nothing with yuri, patty's a joke, estelle gets like two scenes that kinda imply it, and judith's flirting with him is more banter than anything. but yuri still gets really overcentralized in the writing.

these are related problems but they arent literally the same problem and i feel like people get that mixed up some

Ehhh...If you feel the writing is overly centralizing on the protagonist already, I think setting it up so you can bend the arc of characters' relationships by choice isn't being mistakenly mixed up by people, they kind of work hand in hand to accommodate that. They're not the exact same problem but one can make the other worse and vice-versa.

TBF, I think Trails handles is way better than it's contemporaries in this department. Lord knows the Character writing in Trails isn't always the best but I could tell you how every single character in the game felt about one even passed surface connections. Something I have a hard time doing for like...P4 or P5's cast.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Didn't Cold Steel have Jusis and Millium be especially close? And there was like an art club NPC who was really into Gaius or something?

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Srice posted:

It's p unlikely the proceeding 40 hours will change your mind.

that is good to know, will set this aside for chained echoes and see if that is more my speed

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Barudak posted:

Edit: More games need romances where party members fall for and woo NPCs. FFVIII once again delivering on all fronts.
no, FFVII was NPC wooing party member, Zell was oblivious and just wanted his hot dogs

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Hi. I like Rean, and am a man. He's sweet and funny.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Atelier Iris 2 had a party member who ended up in a relationship with an npc. Too bad he was the most annoying party member and he stays in the party when he could be spending time with his new wife and not annoying the hell out of me.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The harem iceberg explained

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Caphi posted:

This is why CS2 is the worst Trails but the other Cold Steels are pretty ok.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Harvest Moon Friends of Mineral Town had every love interest paired with another love interest and they would eventually get together and marry each other. And this apparently made players so anxious, that no Harvest Moon (or AFAIK Harvest Moon clone) has ever attempted such a mechanic ever again.

Not that I want more video games to have the Naruto/Harry Potter ending where every named character hetereosexually hooks up, but I always think of that in these series (mostly my gacha trash) where every character has to be romantically "free" to the player

mycot fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Would someone mind mentioning how exactly Trails is awkward about the romance stuff? I've never played any of the games and I work better with a specific example of things. I am also completely flummoxed on good romance stuff in games that's not just a part of the story like I dunno, Xenoblade 1 or something