Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Beeftweeter posted:

iirc you can make the taskbar function basically the same way it did in xp (assuming you're using windows 7) in taskbar properties

they probably removed this in 8+ because its too functional
its still in 8, i'm expecting it to be removed in 10 though as it's one of the few functional pieces of ui left

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

as far as i see it's still in 10

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

qirex posted:

lync works fine* for us for IM and screen sharing but we don't use any of the telephony or video

*since it doesn't work well on mac or at all on ios we're trialing zoom which is rear end from a butt

we have lync at work, but not the telephony part. instead we have cisco sisqo softphones. the headsets all have a answer/hangup button on them. pressing the answer/hangup button is picked up by both the softphone and lync, which is of course what any sane person would want and clearly a case of just working.

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
sametime is the one thing IBM does right, custom gif emotes for the enterprise :) plus it doesn't suck as much as lync

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
sametime works with 3rd party clients, too

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

huh... the lines are truly blurred nowe..

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i like how the new lync when they forced us over to use it vs the old communicator (which worked OK i guess) how the window size got locked at like 700px or something as the skinniest it would go no matter what way you tried to shrink it down, so i have half the window hanging off the right edge of my screen and every time i unlock i have to mvoe it back hanging off the edge of the screen since otherwise it takes up 1/3rd of my horizontal real estate just for a drat messaging app

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
try using Lync over remote desktop and watch how miserable an app can be without actually crashing. my biggest beef with it right now is when it gives me "missed conversations" in my e-mail despite the fact I was very much there for the conversation. even better is when I open the conversation and it apparently includes everything we've talked about in the past week.

now I have to go cj my home computer because I just discovered 20 gigs of temporary files windows never cleaned up...

e: just learned about this gem:

quote:

The component store will show a large directory size because of how the Windows Explorer shell accounts for hard links. The Windows shell will count each reference to a hard link as a single instance of the file for each directory in which the file resides. For example, if a file that is named advapi32.dll is 700 KB and is contained in the component store and in the \Windows\system32 directory, Windows Explorer would inaccurately report that the file consumes 1,400 KB of hard disk space.

TerminalRaptor fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Mar 29, 2015

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i like how lync will blink on the screen a notification that i got a message but after double clicking it like 6 times a window still wont come up with it and it's guaranteed at least 45 seconds before i can respond to any conversation or even see what was asked before it decides to pop up a window with the actual poo poo in it

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

lync remote desktop is poo poo for the single reason that there's that menu at the top of the screen.

go away menu.

every time someone remotes they hover the mouse of there and click around and go "hmm.. nope can't hide that i guess"

every time. like same person they still have hope that maybe last time it was a bug and this time that dumb pin button will for some reason mean "hide"

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

so loving accurate

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

so does it have working spell check yet? what we have doesn't and it boggles my mind that a feature in every other office app doesn't exist in the one where people talk all day. shouldn't that be a feature regardless of the os, especially on their own ecosystem

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

also just realized this thread has reached 365, does that mean it's going free for basic posting and pay for desktop posters?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I've never used lync so I don't know but I hear slack is the new thing

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

they even support 2FA now!

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
Skype is honestly better than Lync

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

uncurable mlady posted:

Skype is honestly better than Skype for Business

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

uncurable mlady posted:

Skype is honestly better than Lync

skype im is so bad

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

mishaq posted:

skype im is so bad

compared to lync or compared to literally any other option

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

does hipchat do video yet

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

uncurable mlady posted:

compared to lync or compared to literally any other option

literally anything

ims that push notifications on your phone dont show up on the desktop client

once you start talking on the desktop client your mobile client keeps alerting sometimes

its really bad

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

posting on page 365 i hope

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

uncurable mlady posted:

does hipchat do video yet

yes, and it has for a while. it also does screen sharing.

i went to the Microsoft Store at Shops at North Bridge in Chicago on Michigan Avenue today, rather, i walked past it while walking toward Nordstrom. it was empty. nordstrom was busy and half of it is torn up because it's under construction for renovations lmao

also i passed the Porsche Design store and they still have the BlackBerry P'Zone edition on a little spinning thingie inside a glass cube. that store was likewise empty, there were a lot more people in the Bose store across the hall.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

I bought a Microsoft nokia lumia 530 metro-phone today

it's p good tho I hd to spend an hour cjing before I could use it - it's nice to feel useful I guess.

why are the settings separate apps that have to be updated separtly to the os? p happy though cause that's the worst ive seen so far
I think people like these things because they expected them to be way worse than they are. still garbage tho.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Granite Octopus posted:

it's p good
still garbage tho.

why did you buy it

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Granite Octopus posted:

don't trigger me

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

loving lol now I can't install any of the fabulous and varied quality apps from the apps windows store why did I buy this

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Virion posted:

also just realized this thread has reached 365, does that mean it's going free for basic posting and pay for desktop posters?

this is yospos

nothing but basic posters making basic posts

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

TerminalRaptor posted:

try using Lync over remote desktop and watch how miserable an app can be without actually crashing. my biggest beef with it right now is when it gives me "missed conversations" in my e-mail despite the fact I was very much there for the conversation. even better is when I open the conversation and it apparently includes everything we've talked about in the past week.

now I have to go cj my home computer because I just discovered 20 gigs of temporary files windows never cleaned up...

e: just learned about this gem:

thats sorta the point about hardlinks, its completely transparent to all the APIs so there aren't compatibility issues. if you do a per-file listing then things get double-counted and space reports are inaccurate but looking directly at the whole volume free space is still fine. Just ignore the SxS folder and accept that there's nothing you can do to shrink it beyond the dism /online /cleanup-image /spsuperseded command

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

gross gaming rig

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

now that I know j allard was wife swapping his exit screed about how MS used to be a "tribe" is kind of disturbing

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
why is that a thing that you know?

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

I was well informed

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

infernal machines posted:

why is that a thing that you know?

we discussed it in this thread previously, based on the information of an Idle Thumb reading an email from a Microsoft employee that he knew personally and trusted

or maybe it was the Google thread, I forget

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?
:nyoron:

edit: the original source, for posterity https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwmkzaYwU4g#t=75m14s

Nagato fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Mar 30, 2015

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

pseudorandom name posted:

we discussed it in this thread previously, based on the information of an Idle Thumb reading an email from a Microsoft employee that he knew personally and trusted

or maybe it was the Google thread, I forget

it was the Google thread most recently

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
ah cool 8th hand rumours about some guy's sexual proclivities

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

idiot

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i'm not bagging on you for keeping up on the tech edition of soap weekly

if you need to know who allard puts his dick in, you have every right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

infernal machines posted:

the tech edition of soap weekly

mods

• Locked thread