Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan

SectumSempra posted:

I don't think anyone attacks people for liking sf5.

Poor bhsman isn't even considered a person anymore.

I get all the hate, and while much of it is clearly warranted, I like to think there's plenty of joking around about it too. But people have asked for advice at the wrong times, getting a "play another game" response rather than something to help them play SFV better. It isn't a matter of driving people away that bothers me, but the idea that someone is asking for advice because they just want to learn the latest street fighter and can't get anything useful that does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
Hey guys I'm going to post some *actual game related content*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPSLGiRvd-Y

Because this is a good game, getting counterhit teleports you backwards so you can mash buttons on wakeup to make some common hitconfirm strings whiff.

Glad I wasn't crazy when I noticed that getting a counterhit cr.mp with Ken point blank often pushed me out too far to convert to target combo!

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
I resent being reduced to one liner poo poo posts. I do more than that. I'm complex

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Because this is a good game, getting counterhit teleports you backwards so you can mash buttons on wakeup to make some common hitconfirm strings whiff.

Glad I wasn't crazy when I noticed that getting a counterhit cr.mp with Ken point blank often pushed me out too far to convert to target combo!

This game is full of weird bullshit. Did you know that Vega's claw-on st. HP is hardcoded to have no benefit from hitting meaty?

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

play marvel
https://a.pomf.cat/ntvehh.webm

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

What is this amazing stage that I have never, ever seen on stream at a tournament?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

When you get a counter hit you already get an advantage in increased damage on the hit, now you want the confirm too? Be thankful for what you have

cams
Mar 28, 2003

A.o.D. posted:

What is this amazing stage that I have never, ever seen on stream at a tournament?
based on daredevil's shadowland arc

or is this just the umvc3 version? or are they completely different and i do not remember properly

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

play marvelstep into a world where the air i breathe is mine
nothing to overwhelm me and nothing to cloud my mind
come with me into it and you won't know what you will find
time doesn't exist here
we will never die

https://a.pomf.cat/oslnrd.webm

cams posted:

or is this just the umvc3 version? or are they completely different and i do not remember properly
that's the umvc3 variant, shadowlands
the stage in that clip is 'hand hideout' which is a vanilla mvc3 stage and was basically the bonne wonderland of vanilla

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Aug 1, 2016

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Zand posted:

ive seen you post in this thread and the other sf5 thread before and other fg threads. its not weird, after a while i just started to associate daenerys targaryen with poo poo opinions, just like how you've likely associated my name and avatar or any other common fg poster with a certain image. i mean, we've been posting in the same threads for a long time together so its only natural. its like how everyone expects the bhsman shrug emote post, the apple posting from experience/authority post, the dangerdoom volvo one-liner shitpost, bebop posting short videos or effort and content for some reason post, fereydun posting dmc gifs post, etc... its the teagone patently bad opinion post

do me next

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

dangerdoom volvo posted:

I resent being reduced to one liner poo poo posts. I do more than that. I'm complex
dont take it to heart, that'd be like comparing a copy of a van gogh to the real thing

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

i want to be upset but all i feel is apathy

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

A.o.D. posted:

This game is full of weird bullshit. Did you know that Vega's claw-on st. HP is hardcoded to have no benefit from hitting meaty?

Speaking of weird poo poo, what pisses me off most in SFV is that there are WAAAAAAY to many situations where your opponents will jump-in crossup on you but actually land in front of you.
I loving hate that poo poo. Half the cast has dumbass cross-up hitboxes.

EDIT: Remembering all this poo poo fills me with rage again. That's why I stopped touching SFV cause it's too likely it'll give me a loving aneurysm otherwise.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

A.o.D. posted:

I mean this wouldn't surprise me but are you sure it's this and not it just having very little active frames.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Jack Trades posted:

Speaking of weird poo poo, what pisses me off most in SFV is that there are WAAAAAAY to many situations where your opponents will jump-in crossup on you but actually land in front of you.
I loving hate that poo poo. Half the cast has dumbass cross-up hitboxes.

To be fair that's a SF4 thing too. Hell, probably worse in SF4.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

That's a long standing tradition dating back to SF2.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

That's a long standing tradition dating back to SF2.

I played less ST than I probably should, but even A2 felt more strict with crossups than 4, at least to me. Regardless, yeah, it's not a SFV thing.

Also I thought I'd noticed that CH thing but figured it was me leaving a hole on my blockstring or loving up my spacing (which I suppose is what happened, just not for the reasons I thought it was).

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

I mean this wouldn't surprise me but are you sure it's this and not it just having very little active frames.

Very sure. It has 2 active frames. If it wasn't hard coded to not give an advantage on meaty, you could combo st. hp into switch into clawless target combo because you'd have 6 frames of advantage. However, it always whiffs, because it's coded to only give you 5 frames unless you get a counterhit st. HP, then it gives you 7.

Arlieth actually labbed this out using @toolassisted's oki tool and training mode, and I duplicated it because I could not believe that poo poo.

bad metaphors
Nov 6, 2014

If you do the claw switch it literally doesn't matter how meaty your fierce is. Am I missing something here?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

bad metaphors posted:

If you do the claw switch it literally doesn't matter how meaty your fierce is. Am I missing something here?

That's exactly it. You get the same frame numbers if you hit on active frame 1 or 2 of the st. hp. If the frame advantage wasn't hard coded, hitting on frame 2 would open up additional combo opportunities.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Street Fighter V is bad. If you like Street Fighter V then you are also bad.

Feel free to quote this post the next time you want to throw a hissy-fit over people being mean to you on the internet.

bad metaphors
Nov 6, 2014

A.o.D. posted:

That's exactly it. You get the same frame numbers if you hit on active frame 1 or 2 of the st. hp. If the frame advantage wasn't hard coded, hitting on frame 2 would open up additional combo opportunities.

A meaty will only give you additional frame advantage if you don't cancel it because the advantage comes from having the same hitstun but less recovery, as opposed to the later active frames granting extra hitstun.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

bad metaphors posted:

If you do the claw switch it literally doesn't matter how meaty your fierce is.

To be fair SFV has weird rules sometimes where you can't do special cancels/vtrigger cancels immediately, so meaty attacks can give cancels more frame advantage in those cases.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

bad metaphors posted:

A meaty will only give you additional frame advantage if you don't cancel it because the advantage comes from having the same hitstun but less recovery, as opposed to the later active frames granting extra hitstun.

So meaties only really matter for pressure or linking, and don't matter at all for cancelling? That's a pretty odd, specific behavior.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

A.o.D. posted:

So meaties only really matter for pressure or linking, and don't matter at all for cancelling? That's a pretty odd, specific behavior.

It's not really odd at all. Assuming the same normal hit (not counter), a move will cause the same number of frames of hitstun regardless of which of its active frames connect. This is why meaties provide extra advantage, since you hit in the later active frames and have less remaining active+recovery frames left to play out. However, if you cancel into something, that move you cancelled into will still have X number of startup+active+recovery frames regardless of how meaty the move that was cancelled was.

bad metaphors
Nov 6, 2014

Generally that's the case but in some fighting games you can use meaty someone on wakeup and be able to block in time if they reversal. You may also want to use an attack with high active frames since it's easier to time on wakeup, even if that attack isn't reversal-safe. In the latter case there's a good chance you want to be cancelling into something

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

It's not really odd at all. Assuming the same normal hit (not counter), a move will cause the same number of frames of hitstun regardless of which of its active frames connect. This is why meaties provide extra advantage, since you hit in the later active frames and have less remaining active+recovery frames left to play out. However, if you cancel into something, that move you cancelled into will still have X number of startup+active+recovery frames regardless of how meaty the move that was cancelled was.

Claw switch has no active frames. It isn't doing anything to the target's hit recovery clock, or at least it shouldn't be doing anything. No matter if you switch from hitting on frame 1 or 2 of st. HP, it gives you 5 frames to connect another move. If you counterhit st. hp, then it gives you 7 frames.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I wish any one of Juri's specials used a punch instead. Her HP animates as a kick so I know you have what I call "Punch-to-Kick Replacement Technology" jerks.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

Think about it like this:

A normal that has 3 active frames, 20 recovery frames, and does 25 frames of hitstun. You also have a stance change that is 15 total frames. The cancel window for the normal is from the first to last active frame, and the hitstun starts from when that frame connects. If you are always cancelling into the stance change on the first available frame (the active frame that hit), there will be no difference in your advantage after the stance change recovers because the difference between the hitstun starting and the stance change starting is always 0f.

It would only give you more advantage in a case where the first active frame was not cancellable and there is a way to reduce the gap between hitstun starting and the cancel starting, i.e. connecting with the normal meaty.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

A.o.D. posted:

Claw switch has no active frames. It isn't doing anything to the target's hit recovery clock, or at least it shouldn't be doing anything. No matter if you switch from hitting on frame 1 or 2 of st. HP, it gives you 5 frames to connect another move. If you counterhit st. hp, then it gives you 7 frames.

What you just said actually agrees completely with what I posted, and there's nothing weird about it being the same advantage off 1st active frame s.HP and 2nd active frame s.HP. s.HP causes X number of hitstun frames when it connects, and it does this whether it connects on active frame 1 or 2. Claw switch has Y number of startup+active+recovery frames, whatever that number is and even with active equalling 0 in this case. Cancelling s.HP on either frame it hits is going to give you the X hitstun frames minus the Y total frames of Claw Switch, since the part that would benefit from the s.HP being meaty, its own remaining active+recovery frames, is cut out of the equation by the cancel.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
So it does 26 frames of hit stun on frame one and 25 frames on frame two?

Wait.. I see now. Okay, I get it.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Aug 1, 2016

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

claw switch should be a very low damage attack like vega bounces it off the opponent's noggin and catches the rebound or something.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
It's okay to not know how fighting games work, we have all been there before, but at the same time if you don't know how fighting games work please do not claim to know how fighting games work

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

why does sfv have so many moves that don't hit crouching opponents? that loving sucks to my laymans eye

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Dias posted:

To be fair that's a SF4 thing too. Hell, probably worse in SF4.

No, it was definitely not.
I've played SF4 for way over 1000 hours and SFV for barely over 100 hours and I've seen that poo poo happen WAAAAAY more often in SFV.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Jack Trades posted:

No, it was definitely not.
I've played SF4 for way over 1000 hours and SFV for barely over 100 hours and I've seen that poo poo happen WAAAAAY more often in SFV.

Eh, it felt every character had freakin' fake crossups in SF4 and even Rose j.HP could hit weird for some reason (not even in the corner) so...I dunno. :shrug:

I do not miss SF4 Cammy in my life.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Dias posted:

Eh, it felt every character had freakin' fake crossups in SF4 and even Rose j.HP could hit weird for some reason (not even in the corner) so...I dunno. :shrug:

SF4 had a bunch of moves that looked like they would hit behind but they actually hit in front of you, but that's not what I was talking about.
I was talking about a whole bunch of air normals hitting behind you but the opponent landing in front of you.

It happened very rarely in SF4 that the opponent would hit you on one side and land on the other side but in SFV it feels like it happens all the loving time.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

i'm really sad that i didn't get a "zan'ds impression"

but also i'm really not that surprised

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

play marvel
https://a.pomf.cat/appeon.webm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zand
Jul 9, 2003