Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

zakharov posted:

If you're willing to take the very real risk of homelessness/starvation, knock yourself out and hop on a Greyhound. I don't think it makes you a pathetic coward to decline.

Aaaaaaaaah I was being facetious

tactlessbastard fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

tactlessbastard posted:

Aaaaaaaaah I was being fascious

It is spelled “fascist”.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

tactlessbastard posted:

Aaaaaaaaah I was being fascious

more like homelessbastard

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
itll never not be funny that the 'trigger the snowflake liberals' crowd is entirely for all of society being a safespace for hateful white male hegemony. how dare someone express disapproval of my behavior!!

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

loquacius posted:

The NPC meme is funny because they took the idea of solipsism, which is already a super sociopathic and borderline-fascist philosophy, and went "how do we copy this idea in such a way that it only applies to people I disagree with, and also references video games?"

I'm a little disappointed it won out over "normies" in anime fascist social theory

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Oct 30, 2018

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

loquacius posted:

The NPC meme is funny because they took the idea of solipsism, which is already a super sociopathic and borderline-fascist philosophy, and went "how do we copy this idea in such a way that it only applies to people I disagree with, and also references video games?"

Not to mention the fact it automatically suggests the speaker is an integral part of the storyline. Personally, I resent the fact that they politicized "NPC" because it can be a useful comedic device to cope with working in retail.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

In the end it's just another repackaged Sheeple anyway.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

slash stab posted:

Not to mention the fact it automatically suggests the speaker is an integral part of the storyline. Personally, I resent the fact that they politicized "NPC" because it can be a useful comedic device to cope with working in retail.

i only play video games sparingly cause that’s for cucks *uses video game terms for everything else in life*

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
I expect this Captain Awkward post was probably posted here, but just in case you guys missed it: #1149: “We decided to leave our abusive ex and move to another state, only she came with us and is living on our couch?”

The story (and response) are long so I won't quote here. But unfortunately CA didn't allow comments on the site:

quote:

P.S. I’m not hosting a comment thread. LOLOLOLsobsobsob Just imagine hundreds of people screaming “RUN AWAY” in unison while also laughing and crying and you’ve about got it.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

I was arrested, kept in jail for 62 days and then released after the DA finally got around to my case. I did nothing wrong.

quote:

Okay, so a few days ago I was released from county jail after being held for 62 days. I lost my job, didn't pay rent for 2 months almost 3 now and my car is in the process of being put up for auction and they won't release it.

I was arrested for felon in possession of a firearm (I'm not a felon and never have been or had anything expunged and at the time of arrest I didn't even have a firearm on me) and reckless endangerment (firing a weapon at the side of a building, again something I did not do). I had an initial appearance thing in the jail over video where I was given a public defender who was completely and absolutely useless. I'm not sure if this is the norm for public defenders but he didn't say anything I told him to at this appearance I had because a simple background check shows I don't have a felony and on the night this all allegedly happened I was out of state (plane tickets and hotel with work). He literally just said not guilty then asked for a signature bond (Judge or magistrate guy denied it because felon with a firearm is a huge thing).

So then I sat, in jail for a total of 60 days before my public defender even came to see me. I tried to call him everyday with the phones and the number on the paper I had but he was never in and never came to see me. I couldn't afford a regular attorney who wanted around $2500 to even start a criminal case. I don't really have family or super close friends to call for help, I was fired from work obviously and now late on rent and will be evicted probably because I can't pay without a job and definitely not $2100+ utilities for rent on the 3 months I'm about to owe.

When he finally came and seen me 2 days before my next appearance and he finally listened to me he talked to the DA who apparently also had not looked at my case or my letter I mailed them until then also. After that appearance I got a "sorry, computer error you are free to go" and I was released.

What can I do for any of this? Apparently someone with the same name but a different DOB shot a building after a fight and is a felon but I sat in jail, lost my job, can't even get my car back they say unless I pay some crazy fees (how am I liable for these fees if it was a error?!). This is in Madison, Wisconsin

EDIT: Thanks for all the replies guys and gals, I'll contact the Wisconsin branch of the ACLU tomorrow and see what they say and where to go from here. Also I appreciate the messages offering to help me if I need it but I can kinda survive frugally on my credit cards if absolutely need be and will be contacting my boss tomorrow also and explaining the situation.

EDIT 2: To clear up more confusion about my car. The city had it towed by a local company they are contracted with. The storage fees are $1900 and growing daily and I only paid $3500 for the car 2 years ago. The towing company that has my vehicle told me the city can waive their percentage and pay the rest to them and I can get my car but told "good luck". Also their policy is to only store the vehicles for 90 days before auctioning the car.

This is just :911: : the post

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

Whorelord posted:

I was arrested, kept in jail for 62 days and then released after the DA finally got around to my case. I did nothing wrong.

:d2a:

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

Propaniac posted:

I expect this Captain Awkward post was probably posted here, but just in case you guys missed it: #1149: “We decided to leave our abusive ex and move to another state, only she came with us and is living on our couch?”

The story (and response) are long so I won't quote here. But unfortunately CA didn't allow comments on the site:

I actually don't recall anything from this blog being posted here before, but this is a classic doormat-in-polyamorous-clusterfuck tale.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

:d2a:

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Whorelord posted:

It’s now locked because the cops that run r/legaladvice suppress anything that makes the police look bad. See also, this post:

Little brother died, police mishandled his belongings and they are ruined. Do I have any options?
[quote=My little brother got involved with drugs and overdosed because he got a bad batch with fentanyl. He was with the drug dealer when it happened and the guy had prior charges, so instead of calling an ambulance, he took my brother's phone and left. My little brother was found the next morning by some amazing woman that took him out of the car and did CPR till the ambulance got there. I got a call that morning to come to the hospital because I was his emergency contact. I knew it was bad after the phone call but not the full extent. He was brain dead and could have been saved if the guy has just called an ambulance.

I didn't immediately start digging, I just thought he overdosed. My parents wouldn't take him off life support for 3 days(they have to make the decision, I was not allowed) and I stayed with him the whole time. In the middle of night 2, the nurse station got a phone call pretending to be me and trying to get information about my brothers condition. They gave the phone to me and he hung up and when I called back he wouldn't give me a name and was just very suspicious, I didn't let on that's how I felt but when I got off the phone all the ICU nurses agreed it the dealer trying to find out information. I did some digging and then I called the police and gave them everything I found. His car was still parked a couple houses down from the dealers house. A homicide detective called me and we made an appointment over text message to go get the car(she wanted it searched and I had an extra key, they said his key was gone).

The day of the appointment she texted me to say she had the car towed to the police station. We made another appointment a few days later where she handed me off to the narcotics detective and told me he was taking over. The narcotics detective told me he was going to search the car after our appointment, I asked if I could be there and he said no. Somehow they ended up with my brother's key after telling me they didn't have it. I had to plan the funeral so I just let the police do their thing and they told me they would let me know when I could pick up the car. My brother was in the process of moving so his car was filled to the brim with his belongings. Fast forward 2 weeks and I am told I can come pick up the car. When I was let in to the locked lot, I noticed all his cars windows were down including the sunroof. It had rained pretty steady for three weeks and the car was literally a puddle. I had the car towed to my mother's and started going through his stuff. All his belongings are ruined including the car, electronics, artwork.

The police had the key, it was in a locked lot, and they wouldn't let me get the car for weeks. The narcotics officers were just too lazy to close the windows and sunroof I guess because I don't see why they would do it on purpose. They could have let me know at anytime and I would have driven down there and closed the windows. I'm not sure where to go from here. Are the police responsible for any of this? This is in MD, if that helps.][/quote]

It’s funny, the cop mods and “quality contributors” slobber all over any post that will get a private citizen in trouble, letting literal thousands of off-topic comments be posted, but the second a police officer looks bad they lock it under the guise of “off-topic comments” and ban whoever speaks ill of the police.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
legal advice against the police? whats your name citizen?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Whorelord posted:

My favorite comment was the guy trying to argue that detaining someone and getting his car repo’d don’t count as denying liberty and property

Lonely Virgil
Oct 9, 2012

houstonguy posted:

It’s funny, the cop mods and “quality contributors” slobber all over any post that will get a private citizen in trouble, letting literal thousands of off-topic comments be posted, but the second a police officer looks bad they lock it under the guise of “off-topic comments” and ban whoever speaks ill of the police.
The cop mods of r/legaladvice will straight up tell people in trouble with the law to talk to the police without a lawyer and do things to incriminate themselves. Oh you bet they delete all the comments telling the OP not to listen to the cop mods. People in r/legal advice tend to follow the cop mods' lead, just making GBS threads all over the OP in comment and presume the OP is guilty.

It was funny when one of the cop mods from some drama a couple of months back went to an anti-cop subreddit to defend himself and fell for bofa.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

Lonely Virgil posted:

The cop mods of r/legaladvice will straight up tell people in trouble with the law to talk to the police without a lawyer and do things to incriminate themselves. Oh you bet they delete all the comments telling the OP not to listen to the cop mods. People in r/legal advice tend to follow the cop mods' lead, just making GBS threads all over the OP in comment and presume the OP is guilty.

It was funny when one of the cop mods from some drama a couple of months back went to an anti-cop subreddit to defend himself and fell for bofa.

What's bofa?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
BOFA DEEZ NUTS

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

Yawgmoth posted:

BOFA DEEZ NUTS

Noooooooooooooooo

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
See also: ligma

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

andrew smash posted:

See also: ligma

Who's Steve Jobs?

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
I feel like we haven't seen this twist on co-dependency before.

Boyfriend [26M] asked me [22F] to go on an overseas trip with him next year. I am afraid to tell my friend [23F] because I know she will react badly.

quote:

Hi reddit, Obligatory apology for formatting mistakes as am on mobile I would love to get an opinion on this situation and some advice.

So my relationship is going well, no complaints there, and me [22F] and my bf [26M] are looking at going on an overseas trip next year. I would love to go with him! However, I have a roommate and close friend [22F] that I have lived with for many years. She has been single for a long time now and I think relies on me for quite a lot of her social interaction. She tends to take things very personally when I am not at home sometimes- she will text to ask where I am, and she especially used to be quite childish and rude to me whenever I said I would be staying at my boyfriend's place. Even now she will sometimes make judgemental comments about how I "have been at his house for like 3 nights in a row"... as if it is any of her business what I do as an adult woman? Anyway the problem is that a couple of years ago, when I was also single, me and her talked about going overseas. No actual plans were made but we mentioned it quite a few times. So due to this, and her tendency to react quite negatively about me saying I am doing things with my boyfriend, I am feeling nervous about telling her I'm making plans to go overseas with him and not her. Should I invite her anyway since we talked about it before? Should she just have to suck it up and deal with it?

TL;DR My boyfriend asked me to go on an overseas trip with him next year. I would love to go with him. However I am a bit hesitant to tell my friend and roommate, as me and her talked about going overseas together a few years ago, but never actually planned anything concrete. I have a feeling she will react badly and make me feel guilty for going without her. Am I in the wrong? Should I invite her?

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

yeah, invite her lol

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
If you're going to continue to live as a doormat, just tell her it's a surprise trip and you don't know where you're going. Then whoops it's overseas.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Don’t lie about it, but also don’t mention it. How hard is this?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Buy her a one way ticket

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

My Craigslist room mate keeps breaking into my room and harassing me. I took my door knob off my room and she's gone psychotic.

I lived with crazy room mate (CR) peacefully for 5 months about with one other room mate(OR). Then one day I asked CR to clean her old food out the fridge and she threw a fit. Claiming the food was not her but the guy who moved out a year ago. I just wanted a clean fridge so I fully cleaned the fridge, then recived a text from CR saying she had just cleaned the fridge and she wanted everyone to have a meeting about the fridge once a month yada yada yada. Some real dramatic holier than thou stuff. I am pretty mad, so I correct her about who cleaned the fridge and intend to go one with my life. I have screen shots of all of our interactions if you need them. Because from this point on she begins sending increasingly aggressive texts and shouting names at me in the house. I haven't been responding to her texts or her name calling. Just keeping my head down and B-lining from my room to the door.

A little back ground on CR is that she is a "recovering" alcoholic, jobless, has a criminal record, and chain smokes. She lied about many of these things when I first moved in. She has always liked to go in others rooms and bathrooms, I've caught her in the act on multiple occasions. The house is old and doesn't have normal locks. So I started bringing my door knob with me to work. CR said she was driving to my work to get it, I said no. She is now threatening to break down the door to my room while I'm at work.

I can't seem to say or do anything to make her stop. The harassment from CR goes a lot further than what I've said here. I've been trying to sublet my room so I can move. Is there any legal action I can take to make her stop?

Help me reddit!

Edit: we live in Louisiana

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Wife found a wallet and turned it in. Local crackhead who owned the wallet is accusing her of stealing $2500 he says was in it. She didn't take any money and has agreed to a polygraph on friday, should she be aware of anything regarding these? more of the story in comments.

She found a wallet outside of my work and took it inside. She had to pee bad so went to the bathroom before she handed it in. This is the only time her and the wallet are out of camera view. She turned it in and left and saw a guy who lives in our street and he asks if she found one she said yeah she turned it in at said business. He goes in and gets it (the wallet still had like $400 bucks in it) and freaks out saying she stole $2500 he just got paid from a guy who bought his grandmas motel. him and his 2 siblings get installments each month. He is a known drug addict/thief and multiple felon.

Later that very night he got arrested with a bunch of heroin and is sitting in jail now on a 45k bond. pwisd heroin, possession schedule IV and felony possession on jail/prison property as he tried to smuggle some in up his rear end. The cops have even said they know who it is they are dealing with and the real question is if the money was ever in there in the first place.

She's not worried that much as all she has to do is tell the truth but are there any shady tactics cops use to try to illicit a fail response she should be wary of? i honestly think they are on our side and just covering their asses because he's a piece of poo poo but we have a lot on the line should he have to even go to court much less get convicted of some poo poo like that.

EDIT: my wife has zero criminal record. not even a traffic violation.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My Craigslist room mate keeps breaking into my room and harassing me. I took my door knob off my room and she's gone psychotic.

I lived with crazy room mate (CR) peacefully for 5 months about with one other room mate(OR). Then one day I asked CR to clean her old food out the fridge and she threw a fit. Claiming the food was not her but the guy who moved out a year ago. I just wanted a clean fridge so I fully cleaned the fridge, then recived a text from CR saying she had just cleaned the fridge and she wanted everyone to have a meeting about the fridge once a month yada yada yada. Some real dramatic holier than thou stuff. I am pretty mad, so I correct her about who cleaned the fridge and intend to go one with my life. I have screen shots of all of our interactions if you need them. Because from this point on she begins sending increasingly aggressive texts and shouting names at me in the house. I haven't been responding to her texts or her name calling. Just keeping my head down and B-lining from my room to the door.

A little back ground on CR is that she is a "recovering" alcoholic, jobless, has a criminal record, and chain smokes. She lied about many of these things when I first moved in. She has always liked to go in others rooms and bathrooms, I've caught her in the act on multiple occasions. The house is old and doesn't have normal locks. So I started bringing my door knob with me to work. CR said she was driving to my work to get it, I said no. She is now threatening to break down the door to my room while I'm at work.

I can't seem to say or do anything to make her stop. The harassment from CR goes a lot further than what I've said here. I've been trying to sublet my room so I can move. Is there any legal action I can take to make her stop?

Help me reddit!

Edit: we live in Louisiana

This seems like the type of problem a handgun would solve quickly.

therobit fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Oct 30, 2018

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Wife found a wallet and turned it in. Local crackhead who owned the wallet is accusing her of stealing $2500 he says was in it. She didn't take any money and has agreed to a polygraph on friday, should she be aware of anything regarding these? more of the story in comments.

She found a wallet outside of my work and took it inside. She had to pee bad so went to the bathroom before she handed it in. This is the only time her and the wallet are out of camera view. She turned it in and left and saw a guy who lives in our street and he asks if she found one she said yeah she turned it in at said business. He goes in and gets it (the wallet still had like $400 bucks in it) and freaks out saying she stole $2500 he just got paid from a guy who bought his grandmas motel. him and his 2 siblings get installments each month. He is a known drug addict/thief and multiple felon.

Later that very night he got arrested with a bunch of heroin and is sitting in jail now on a 45k bond. pwisd heroin, possession schedule IV and felony possession on jail/prison property as he tried to smuggle some in up his rear end. The cops have even said they know who it is they are dealing with and the real question is if the money was ever in there in the first place.

She's not worried that much as all she has to do is tell the truth but are there any shady tactics cops use to try to illicit a fail response she should be wary of? i honestly think they are on our side and just covering their asses because he's a piece of poo poo but we have a lot on the line should he have to even go to court much less get convicted of some poo poo like that.

EDIT: my wife has zero criminal record. not even a traffic violation.
Get him to prove you can fit $2500 cash in the wallet.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!
My guess is the cops are trying to shake down the lady for an easy 2500 bucks.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Yawgmoth posted:

tbh this doesn't seem like a foolproof strategy to me because a wallet managing to contain 25 $100 bills isn't particularly implausible

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Especially because 25 $1s is the same size.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Yawgmoth posted:

Oh man if she can do that, she should totally try that

LGD posted:

tbh this doesn't seem like a foolproof strategy to me because a wallet managing to contain 25 $100 bills isn't particularly implausible

I guess the idea would be he would have to have $2500 to prove it

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I used to carry like 200 in singles when I was in food service with no problem.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Rubellavator posted:

“Food Service”

“200 in singles”

:crossarms:

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

Rubellavator posted:

Yeah, but everyone knows you can store a lot in a bra.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I couldn't figure out why the crazy roommate needed to get into another person's personal bedroom so bad she was going to smash the door down, and the answer is that she had a friend over and wanted to give a full tour which had to include ALL the bedrooms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

areyoucontagious posted:

“Food Service”

“200 in singles”

:crossarms:

well yeah he just cashed his paycheck, where else would you put the cash????