Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Synthbuttrange posted:

is everyone nazis yet

Only if they are smarties

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wheat Loaf posted:

Iron Man's team in that show was Hawkeye, Julia Carpenter Spider-Woman, Scarlet Witch (though I don't think she was ever actually called Scarlet Witch), War Machine, an AI hologram called HOMER who was basically the Vision, and this Mortal Kombat looking fucker with a giant axe. I later learned about the Avengers and assumed they must have been a poo poo version of the Avengers, then even later I learned that they were actually Force Works.

I appreciate the show used HOMER, who was an AI Tony had in the early 90s comics. It was the precursor to the movies' JARVIS.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lobok posted:

I appreciate the show used HOMER, who was an AI Tony had in the early 90s comics. It was the precursor to the movies' JARVIS.

There was also PLATO in Force Works. I think they fought once.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Rhyno posted:

Avengerrrrrrrrrrrsssss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIpOluaTQj8

It was better done in the 80s

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

X-O posted:

It was really only her or Quicksilver that made sense. She's with SHIELD so she was no doubt present when Faustus did his thing. Quicksilver was an outside shot because he doesn't care about any of this poo poo he just wants to help Wanda.

Honestly none of them make any goddamn sense. This has been such a shitshow, I just want a Nazi SuperScience portal to open up with BJ Blazkowitz emerging and obliterate any and all Hydra.

IN FACT whatever the gently caress that dreamworld poo poo is, reveals it's not Steve at all just BJ with amnesia, REMEMBERS who he is and proceeds to turn NazSteve and his whole regime into gibblets via double shotguns and gleeful laughter.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Clearly, Nick Spencer knows what fans really want to see: a badass Red Skull saving the world.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

BrianWilly posted:

Clearly, Nick Spencer knows what fans really want to see: a badass Red Skull saving the world.

I groaned out loud when glistening shirtless Red Skull showed up to "save" dream Steve.

What.
The.
gently caress?

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.

X-O posted:

It was really only her or Quicksilver that made sense. She's with SHIELD so she was no doubt present when Faustus did his thing. Quicksilver was an outside shot because he doesn't care about any of this poo poo he just wants to help Wanda.

Yeah, best I can say is this isn't meant to be a character defining moment for Mockingbird, she was, as you said, hit by Faustus's thing. Unfortunate that it seems Spencer can't help but push people's buttons in the wrong way, but this is just a plot point to create a crisis, not trying to say "Mockingbird-is-a-NAZI-4EVA."

Super disappointed by the Odinson reveal, though, and I was wait-and-seeing on it. At last have Hydra actively hold her hostage or something.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
"Um I'll have you know that Thor Odinson is a literal loving idiot who will support bombing an entire city full of people as long as Steve Rogers does it!" -peerless auteur Nick Spencer

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

The epilogue to secret empire is going to be an author self insert ala Animal Man where Nick Spencer explains to Steve that while nazis are bad, so is violence against nazis

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Soonmot posted:

I groaned out loud when glistening shirtless Red Skull showed up to "save" dream Steve.

What.
The.
gently caress?

I thought that page looked amazing. Real good rendition of Skull's ugly mug.

And I kind of liked the Black Panther scene. He was making sure Wakanda would be included in whatever endgame the resistance was going for.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Secret Empire is so goddamned bad that lying to customers about it is giving me an ulcer.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

2017 is the only year in which Marvel's marquee event of the.. I dunno, let's say loving fortnight with how often these happen, could be outdone in every way by a one-shot Elmer Fudd/Batman crossover. Holy Christ Secret Empire was bad this week.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

There is no year where any company made a comic as good as Batman/Fudd. It's the perfect book.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

howe_sam posted:

I appreciated how Defenders 2 flipped the Jessica/Luke dynamic from the first issue and had Jessica be the one bursting into the hospital to check up on Luke and hunting down Diamondback. Also, that last panel was super rad.

Are the panels of Jess bursting into check on Luke a gender swapped version of Loss.jpeg?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Edge of Venomverse was surprisingly good, using some deep cut X-23 lore there.

I'm guessing that Kiden will use her time-stop powers to freeze time for Laura to get back after Venomverse ends. Unless they forgot she has powers of her own...

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Jiro posted:

HA! I was right! Give me my no prize.
That's not what No-Prizes are for. :colbert:

BrianWilly posted:

Jean hosted the Phoenix just fine. The one actual time she was overwhelmed by the Phoenix is when a literal supervillain screwed with her mind with a literal evil scheme.
That wasn't even the real Jean!

Svensken
May 29, 2010
What is even the point of introducing a "mystery" mole if the mystery only lasts one issue and the mole is the most obvious suspect?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Svensken posted:

What is even the point of introducing a "mystery" mole if the mystery only lasts one issue and the mole is the most obvious suspect?

So people will buy the next issue for the answers. Would you really want them to drag this out? Also can someone explain what appeared to be two Tony's in the issue.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

Iron Man's team in that show was Hawkeye, Julia Carpenter Spider-Woman, Scarlet Witch (though I don't think she was ever actually called Scarlet Witch), War Machine, an AI hologram called HOMER who was basically the Vision, and this Mortal Kombat looking fucker with a giant axe. I later learned about the Avengers and assumed they must have been a poo poo version of the Avengers, then even later I learned that they were actually Force Works.

Oh my god I used to watch that show obsessively as a kid. I didn't read the comics until way later, and I don't think my mind ever connected the dots between Wanda and her goofy rear end 90s cartoon costume and Scarlet Witch. Come to think of it, did they ever refer to Julia as Spider-Woman on the show? I seem to recall them always just calling her Julia.

"Mortal Kombat looking fucker" is spot on though.

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

:getin:
Did Final Crisis have this much blowback/whining or am I just remembering things differently because I also liked that event and must have poor taste in comics?

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Donde Esta posted:

Did Final Crisis have this much blowback/whining or am I just remembering things differently because I also liked that event and must have poor taste in comics?

I don't think so. It didn't have Nazis in it. Just Darkseid.

Die For Darkseid.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
nah there was definitely significant final crisis blowback mainly from how disjointed the story was and how the tie-ins went

as opposed to the SE blowback which is mainly about characters being inexplicably nazis or inexplicably okay about nazis

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Synthbuttrange posted:

is everyone nazis yet

In a shocking plot twist, Red Skull will end up being the only non-Nazi on the planet.
But like everyone was saying earlier, pretty much everyone except Scott Lang is hideously out of character or exaggerated. Makes me wish Spencer was still doing Ant Man and just Ant Man.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Donde Esta posted:

I remember a lot of people on other sites flipping their poo poo over Batman using a gun.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

AlmightyBob posted:

The epilogue to secret empire is going to be an author self insert ala Animal Man where Nick Spencer explains to Steve that while nazis are bad, so is violence against nazis

And then Steve punches him out?

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

Blockhouse posted:

nah there was definitely significant final crisis blowback mainly from how disjointed the story was and how the tie-ins went

as opposed to the SE blowback which is mainly about characters being inexplicably nazis or inexplicably okay about nazis

How is the anti-life equation any different than a cosmic cube, or any different from some other similar plot device for that matter? Why does it matter whether they're under the influence of proxy-Nazis or the personification/god of evil? It's a comic book.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Donde Esta posted:

How is the anti-life equation any different than a cosmic cube, or any different from some other similar plot device for that matter? Why does it matter whether they're under the influence of proxy-Nazis or the personification/god of evil? It's a comic book.

Final Crisis has a disjointed narrative, it doesn't have Aquaman and Wonder Woman inexplicably aiding in the discovery of the anti-life equation.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

RandallODim posted:

And then Steve punches him out?

Steve hands him the shield and Spencer becomes the new Cap

Svensken
May 29, 2010
I figured HydraCap was Spencer's self-insert. The Fascist who objects to Fascist methods (remember: Steve didn't order the destruction of Las Vegas, he's just the direct superior of the Fascists who did).

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

SilverSupernova posted:

But like everyone was saying earlier, pretty much everyone except Scott Lang is hideously out of character or exaggerated. Makes me wish Spencer was still doing Ant Man and just Ant Man.
Scott Lang is in character only in the sense that he sounds like Every Nick Spencer Character Anywhere Ever, and since Nick Spencer has previously written Scott Lang his character is similar to his character in earlier Nick Spencer books.

Nick Spencer could write a comic teaming up James Bond, Conan the Barbarian, Luke Cage, Molly from Runaways and a Terminator and within twelve pages they'd be quipping while watching their loved ones get tortured to death about how this is almost as bad as the last season of Dexter lol am i right up top we all have the same clinically detached narration and pop culture references all right all right all right

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Final Crisis has a disjointed narrative, it doesn't have Aquaman and Wonder Woman inexplicably aiding in the discovery of the anti-life equation.

Neither does this - one's probably is/was under the control of Faustus and the other, possibly because of the narrative, his motivations haven't been fully explored beyond his prayer and the dinner table scene. "Inexplicably" is a bit hyperbolic for a comic book that's not even over. If you wanted an easy target for sloppy characterizations, I'll give you the X-Men, but even then, I wouldn't say they're gross mischaracterizations, just a bit exaggerated depending on who's writing and on what day.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Donde Esta posted:

ANTI-LIFE IS GOOD!

ANTI-LIFE IS FREEDOM!

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Donde Esta posted:

For starters, personifications of evil simply do not exist in reality, whereas Nazi's and Nazi sympathizers definitely do. That in itself might not be a deal breaker, as Nazi's tend to make frequent appearances in pop culture. However, usually in genre fiction they are handled as generically evil mooks, given little characterization or motivation beyond being inherently bad. This is done because, unlike more nuanced dramas or tragedies, genre fiction rarely has the time or inclination to explore that kind of character. Their goal is entertainment and escapism, and while an in depth exploration of a fascist's thinking might be useful to society, it also tends to be a bit of a downer, one that gets in the way of adventure and heroic villain punching.

Not to say that it shouldn't be tried, but you run the risk of doing it badly. No matter what kind of protagonist you write, there has to be enough common ground between them and the audience in order for the audience to empathize with them. But doing that to an inherently monstrous personality, especially one based on real world hate groups, risks it coming off as apologia or glorification even if that wasn't the author's intent. Which brings me to another major difference between Final Crisis and Secret Empire: perspective. When Wonder Woman was turned into a hound of Darkseid, we didn't get an entire series going into this corrupted Wonder Woman's thought process. We didn't see her internally justifying hunting down and murdering people. There was no attempt to humanize this behavior because the entire point was the behavior wasn't human, much less anywhere comparable to the Wonder Woman fans know and love. The entire point was that the change was so drastic and unnatural that the audience couldn't put themselves in her shoes. So, instead, the story was told from the survivors perspective, from those attempting to survive or fight the corrupting, evil force that had taken control. And that's another thing; we pretty much knew what that corrupting force was. While we know Roger's was corrupted by a cosmic cube, that is not the case with all the other heroes suddenly flipping sides. Those reasons seem to be varied and specifically left as mysteries, ones that so far have had really unsatisfying explanations when finally revealed.

Edit: An addendum to my first point. Let's say you work for Marvel and you have a good story that's a character study of a fascist. Cool. But why start that story by literally warping reality to make a hero who has always opposed fascism the main character instead of using an already established fascist, like Dr. Doom, Barron Zemo, etc.

glitchwraith fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jun 29, 2017

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

¡Terrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
Seeing a shirtless Red Skull was weird...

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Wanderer posted:

I remember a lot of people on other sites flipping their poo poo over Batman using a gun.

I feel like those are the same people defending the Batmobile/Batwing guns in BvS today

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
I hate this Nazi/Fascist bullshit event. I can't believe Disney hasn't done something to stamp it out yet. Nick Spencer needs to be fired into the sun.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

El Tortuga posted:

Seeing a shirtless Red Skull was weird...

Wait, what? Okay, Nick Spencer probably isn't a Nazi, but he definitely wants to gently caress one.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Trast posted:

I hate this Nazi/Fascist bullshit event. I can't believe Disney hasn't done something to stamp it out yet. Nick Spencer needs to be fired into the sun.

I dunno, maybe he can read the room better than the rest of us. Have you seen the US lately?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Trast posted:

Doesn't Ike still have a lot of control over the comic side? I'm guessing they hide poo poo from Disney till it's too late.

Final Crisis does have the cool Mary Marvel run up so it has that going for it.

• Locked thread