Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

El_Elegante posted:

Stephen Glass, Jason Blair.

Glass never worked for NYT.

Blair I remember, but I thought that was a long time ago and was discovered relatively quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Isn't the number of people in the US receiving alimony ridiculously small all things considered?

Its lower than the moaners will claim and most states you cant ever have permanent alimony.

My favorite though is the states with laws to own people who dont pull the trigger on actual divorce proceedings and instead linger in separation by counting that as married time.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Jayson Blair was found out in 2003, after having worked at the paper since '98 and becoming an editor.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Sorry, I forgot that more than one publication is headquartered in Manhattan.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

The Failing New York Times

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Plot twist: Newspaper lady is 12 years old

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Or Elon Musk

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

andrew smash posted:

If rich shitheads giving candy to kids from the wrong part of town is the only redistribution that happens on any given day they should feel loving lucky

Not kids, literal babies who can't, in fact, eat candy.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Beachcomber posted:

I am a parent and I will not have anyone tell me what I can and cannot feed my baby. I practice intuitive parenting.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Beachcomber posted:

Gimme the candy, Richy Rich

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
maybe people should stop handing out candy on halloween, seems like it makes people weird in the head

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Why would anybody give a poo poo about which kids "deserve" a neighborhood's candy?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Leon Einstein posted:

Why would anybody give a poo poo about which kids "deserve" a neighborhood's candy?

halloween breaks libertarians man

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Nov 1, 2018

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
The best gift for the parent of a toddler are bulky plastic objects which require large batteries, make lights and noise, and do not shut off.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
My sister bought my daughter a ball pit. That was the worst gift ever. Those loving balls were everywhere but in the pit.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
I [30F] caught my boyfriend [29M] cheating on me. I freaked out and now he’s calling my reaction abusive and threatening a restraining order. Did I overreact?

quote:

u/hotchok
My now-ex and I were together five years. The last year was hard. He grew distant and uncommunicative and that led to a lot of fights. At one point he floated the possibility we should just break up. I told him I thought we could work it out and he agreed.

Nonetheless, his behavior didn’t change. We stopped having sex and he started working late all the time and would act cagey if I got anywhere near his phone. I know this is a big no-no, but one day when he had left for work I went through his computer. I just didn’t know what else to do. Anyway, I found romantic messages between him and a friend of his from college that went back months.

I texted him about the messages and he responded that work was really stressful for him that day and he’d discuss it with me later. I sent him more messages telling him I needed an answer and if I didn’t get answer I would kick him out of our home. He finally responded and said he was very angry with me and we would talk tonight.

When he got home he chastised me for bothering him on such an important day and said my behavior was abusive. He told me that he has already brought up us breaking up and that he had been considering ending the relationship for a while, but I was too self involved to notice that it was probably already over. He then said he needed some space and would be staying at a friend’s house while he figured out if he wanted to be with me or not.

I agreed. After he left, I ran the conversation over in my head and it made me rage. I sent him an email telling him that whenever we get into these arguments he controls everything and makes me feel voiceless, and that he always wants to have his cake and eat it too. He didn’t respond.

I haven’t heard from him in days. He left his dog behind and when I contacted him to ask him what he wanted to do with his dog he told me that I wasn’t respecting his request for space and that he would be blocking me from further contact and if I try to contact him again he will get a restraining order against me. He told me that I am abuse and manipulative and he doesn’t feel safe around me and he is requesting this for his own safety.

I feel like I’m going crazy. All his poo poo including his 12 year old Irish Setter is here and I don’t know what to do with it. He’s also on the lease and we bought a car together which he took with him. I’ve tried contacting him twice but he is so combative and convinced I’m the bad guy that I’m terrified to do anything. I feel stuck and also responsible for the mess. All of our friends our mutual and he asked that I not tell anyone what’s going on so that we don’t drag our friends into the situation and create a bunch of drama. My parents are useless and I know my mom will just tell me to make it up to him and try to fix the relationship.

I don’t know what to do. Am I in the wrong? Please help.

Tl;dr: Caught boyfriend cheating. I freaked out and texted him all day and now he’s saying he doesn’t feel safe around me and is threatening a restraining order. I don’t know how to contact him and I’m afraid all our friends will think I’m an abuser.

He could light up Victorian era Manchester with that amount of gaslighting. Also lol “I’m afraid of you and what you might do but I’m leaving my dog behind”

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Leon Einstein posted:

I don't care per se I just find it weird. Like that never happened when I was a kid. Whatever neighborhood or even apartment complex you lived in you'd just head out with siblings/friends (without your parents) and walk to wherever was close enough. Seeing parents drive their kids to other neighborhoods and slowly idle down the block with them is just bizarre, also they take up street parking.

Also the whole trunk or treating.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I must defend the honor of the noble tradition of class-appropriate trick-or-treating: fun size candy for the offspring of the lower classes, full size for the elite, kids in the country can stay home and eat poo poo. It is time to say enough to this vile... mingling.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Husband’s (late 30s M) relationship with coworker (early 20s F) bothers me (early 30s F).

Hi Reddit. Me and husband have been married 6 years and have a daughter. He’s always been very lax with boundaries — as in, really laid back, will go along with anything anyone suggests, and (sometimes) flirty. None of this bothers me, I knew this was what he was like when I married him and I would never suggest he change his personality for me.

However a few months ago a girl started at his work and has been, for lack of a better word, an issue for me. Since starting at this job she’s been texting my husband several days a week, often well past evening and usually about things unrelated to work. In and of itself this doesn’t sound that awful, right?

Well, my husband has become incredibly cagey with his phone since then. He will be lying next to me with his brightness turned down texting who I would assume is coworker. Lately he’s been avoiding the part where he actually tells me it’s her he’s talking to. In light of his unwillingness to share that info I decided to go through his phone a few days ago and found a ridiculous amount of messages to and from her, and they really rubbed me up the wrong way. It was mostly her initiating the complimenting, usually telling him how ridiculously hot she finds him as well as several questions about me and his daughter. I could be wrong but it really came off as her trying to scope out the current state of our marriage. Some texts verbatim said stuff like “are you happy with (wife’s name?)”, and “what was the appeal of getting married for u considering the kind of lifestyle you could’ve lived instead?” Just stuff that for whatever reason pissed me off. I just hated how she was alternating between this subtle kind of flirting and then being rather sexually aggressive.

There was also one text that said something along the lines of, “I could never work alone with u hahaha, I don’t trust either of us”, and he most decidedly did NOT shut it down, replying something about how it was a good thing they weren’t left alone together for long amounts of time. What the gently caress? I don’t feel that I’m being irrational here.

I also realise that this post seems like an attack on her specifically, but I definitely know that the bulk of the blame is on him. He’s married and shouldn’t be entertaining her when it is clear she likes him. It does piss me off that she doesn’t seem to care that I exist and will involve our daughter in their conversations, although I have to admit my husband loves our daughter and almost never tells anyone anything about her, and he did say as much.

I have mentioned several times that their level of contact pisses me off and that he cannot spin this as being a result of my jealousy considering I have zero problem with anyone else he interacts with. He tells me it’s just them loving around (figuratively) and doesn’t mean anything. I asked him if this was some kind of ego thing, which is ridiculous, because he gets more than enough attention from women and always has. I’m an incredibly attentive wife and I tell him how attractive and loved he is constantly! It’s so embarrassing having mutual friends of ours who are also his coworkers telling me how touchy and flirty they are in the office. He doesn’t seem to be meeting me in the middle here. All he does is deflect or laugh it off. I don’t know how else to explain “I love you, our daughter loves you, and this is not someone you should be willing to negatively affect our family over.”

I really don’t want to blow this up or upset him, so I don’t want to escalate this, but I just want him to realise this isn’t cool and hurts me. It hurts me and it feels like he’s having an emotional affair. I don’t know if it’s worth attempting another serious conversation and absolutely 110% explaining how I feel in the most detailed way, or if I should just blow up at him and tell him to get his poo poo together before something happens between them. How do I navigate this?

Tl;dr: husband’s coworker flirts incessantly and he not only doesn’t shut it down, but reciprocates. I do not want the father of my daughter having an affair.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
That dude is definitely already loving her.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
According to that one girl, calling a dude hot isn't even flirting.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

I'm trying to be the cool wife here but when she went down on him in the living room that seemed a bit over the line.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Husband’s (late 30s M) relationship with coworker (early 20s F) bothers me (early 30s F).

However a few months ago a girl started at his work and has been, for lack of a better word, an issue for me. Since starting at this job she’s been texting my husband several days a week, often well past evening and usually about things unrelated to work. In and of itself this doesn’t sound that awful, right?

lol how can anyone in a relationship/married be okay with this. of course it's awful, you moron.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Universe Master posted:

I'm trying to be the cool wife here but when she went down on him in the living room that seemed a bit over the line.

It was a slap in the face, how quickly you'll get replaced...

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

*breathlessly runs into thread* Christ things move fast here, I skip reading this thread for a couple of months and have read nearly 33,000 posts just to catch up. Anyway, short and sweet.

I [26M] went out with a drop dead gorgeous girl [29F] and she's WAY out of my league.

quote:

I'm not the insecure type. I'm pretty confident but also realistic. I know I'm decent looking, and I know my personality is great. I went out with this girl, and she is leagues more gorgeous than anybody I've ever dated. I think the date went well, and I think we both enjoyed ourselves. I'm just feeling a little insecure because there is an obvious disparity when it comes to looks. I asked her out to a second date and she agreed. Am I being a wimp? What do you guys think I should do?

TL;DR This girl is way prettier than me, should I keep seeing her?

Help me Reddit, I'm onto a good thing here, how do I ruin it?

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Lemme let you in on a secret: leagues are made up bullshit and if two people like each other it's retarded to act like someone arbitratily isn't pretty enough for the other one

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post
Husband tries to control what I wear

quote:

I’m (30 F) having a long standing issue with my husband (39 M) which has come up again today. My husband tries to control what I wear to any occasion other than daily life. Whenever we go out anywhere he will try to tell me what to wear and get pouty or comment negatively if I choose to wear something else. This gets the worst if we are going to see his friends, his coworkers, and especially if it is a cultural celebration or event for his culture. My husband is from India and I have a lot of Indian clothes due to that. My husband buys me clothes when he goes to India, even though I’ve asked him not to buy clothes for me on several occasions. I don’t get to pick out the clothes at all, in style or colors, he goes with his mom and they pick it out together. Some of the things he gets I don’t like at all. Sometimes I don’t like the colors or the color doesn’t look good on me, the style isn’t flattering, or they don’t fit (some things have been way to small with not enough material to alter), etc. The clothes he buys aren’t cheap and I have a lot of them. I only wear Indian clothes to Indian holidays and functions because I’m a white blonde American and it doesn’t fit in well for me to wear it otherwise. Recently I wore a fancy Indian outfit to a non Indian wedding (because my husband was wearing Indian clothes and wanted me to as well) and it wasn’t recieved well by the wedding party (I believe they thought it was too bright and noticeable, not sure, but clearly they didn’t like my wearing it).

Anyway, last time my husband went to India he again brought back about 7 outfits for me, one of which was an extremely, and I mean extremely, fancy blinged out outfit. It was way too small, barely even went on and didn’t come close to zipping and the arms almost tore, and it was in a very unflattering style that only flatters a very thin person. I’m plus sized. He bought this for almost $600 USD. It’s almost like an Indian wedding dress, something a bride would wear but n really anyone else for another occasion. My husband wanted me to get it tailored to fit (which wouldn’t be able to happen without adding material, the dress is about 3 sizes too small), to wear for Diwali (the big Indian holiday coming up). I never planned on wearing it for Diwali because I would not be comfortable in it or feel like it looked good because of how fancy it is and the style, even it it did magically fit. My husband asked if I’d had it tailored today and when I told him no he started freaking out. I told him again that I’m not comfortable in it and that I will wear one of my many other Indian outfits. He was arguing that I should wear what I’m told to wear, etc. that he’s Indian so he can tell me what to wear for Diwali, ect. Then he stopped talking and is not giving me the silent treatment while we’re supposed to be preparing for the big, expensive Diwali party he’s throwing (which we can’t afford, but when I try to rein in the cost he gets angry).

He tends to get this way a lot about what I wear, even when it’s not Indian clothes. He doesn’t really understand when something isn’t flattering and tries to pressure me into wearing things, and when I say it doesn’t look good because of my weight or the style he says to lose weight then. He gets worse when it involves Indian clothes or accessories though. I forgot my jewelry for the wedding where the Indian clothes weren’t well received and he was very angry that I didn’t have the jewelry to wear with the Indian dress.

What to do?

TLDR: husband tells me what to wear to all outingsand occasions, and gets upset when I want to wear something else.

What a sari excuse for a man

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

La Brea Carpet posted:

Husband tries to control what I wear

What a sari excuse for a man

Bravo.

Boyfriend's dad (M60s?) doesn't want contact with me (F25) due to "impropriety." Any way he'll come around?

quote:

u/throwmeabonebabe
This is a strange situation that I could use some more perspective or suggestions on.

My boyfriend (M27) and I (F25) have been dating for nearly a year now, and I've met his major family members including parents and siblings. We've all gotten along well. I like them, they've stated to my boyfriend or even directly to my face they like me, and I've maintained a level of casual contact with them. I'll check in to see how they're doing or comment when I hear something big is happening in their lives. Typically via a friendly text.

This has been fine for everyone except my boyfriend's dad. He recently had a health scare, and so I contacted him to see how he was feeling. He was very kind, receptive and even jokey, saying he appreciated me checking in and was glad my boyfriend and I found each other.

In the weeks following, I went on a vacation with my boyfriend and decided to send his dad a few pictures from our trip - nothing scandalous, just shots of scenery or boyfriend and I together in different locations. Not even in swimsuits, just normal clothes. It's worth noting neither of us are "social media people," so we don't post pictures like this publicly. As such, I send his mom pictures of us directly when we do something, since she likes seeing them and knowing what we're up to. I figured his dad might feel the same. (Bf's parents are divorced so she wouldn't have reason to share.)

Everything was okay for a while, then out of the blue after one of my texts my boyfriend's dad responds saying that he doesn't have contact with any women outside of public settings, and while he appreciated my thoughtfulness and realized our conversations were harmless, he felt a sense of "impropriety" and wanted to stop out of respect for his wife.

I was a little shocked. Again, nothing I said or showed him could've remotely been construed as inappropriate - it was all, "How's it going?" or, "Check out this cool thing we saw!" Plus he is remarried with kids, and I'm obviously with his son, so nothing would've happened.

Now, there's a bit more to the story that might play into this. My boyfriend's dad cheated on his mom. That's one of the big reasons they're divorced now. He's since changed his ways and is a good dad to boyfriend's step-siblings. His current wife who he's been with for years is a wonderful woman who's been nothing but kind to me. She's also very laid-back, so even with his dad's history, I could never imagine her looking at our banal conversations and giving him an ultimatum to stop talking with his son's girlfriend for showing him a handful of trip photos.

This makes me believe the hesitance is entirely on his dad's side. I wonder if he doesn't trust himself to behave around me. He can be vaguely flirty in his interactions, or perhaps not even vaguely... he's said to my boyfriend before things like, "Bring your girlfriend over for dinner -- you can stick around too if you want." However as damning as that may seem, he's had that teasing sense of humor his whole life and no one takes it seriously. (Especially since his behavior has been good despite the talk.)

I only responded once to say that while I was sorry he felt that way, I respected any boundaries in his relationship and wouldn't continue writing. I certainly don't want to make him uncomfortable, try and force him to interact with me, or cause problems in his marriage.

However, as my very probable father-in-law in time, it's a little hurtful to think I won't be able to build my relationship with him in a consistent way. He's pretty busy with his family, and boyfriend and I work a lot, so get-togethers are few and far between. Texting, email or phone calls would make the most sense, but now I've been told not to do that.

Again, I realize I can't make him have a relationship with me he doesn't want, but there's a petty side of me thinking things like, "So... he doesn't talk with his sister, mother or daughter in private? That all has to be public too? Because I don't see how this is that different." I realize I'm not an official part of the family yet, so perhaps that will change in time... but is that my only recourse? To hope he might come around after my boyfriend and I are married so he sees me as a deeper part of the family, and even then, maybe not?

Would I be stupid or out of line to talk with him openly the next time we meet in person to ask if he might change his mind? I don't want to push things and upset him, but at the same time I think his reaction is a bit extreme (something he himself acknowledged), and I would like to have a closer relationship with my future dad-in-law.

Tl;dr - Was talking with my boyfriend's dad over text to inquire about his health and share noninflammatory trip photos, mostly of his son. He requested I stop contacting him because he doesn't talk to any women outside of public settings, felt a sense of impropriety on his side and didn't want to disrespect his wife. Wanting to know if there's something I can do that might make him change his mind, or if I should just leave it and wait/hope.

Boyfriend’s dad is a bit weird but OP is being dense about the bolded bit.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
lol 100% his "down to earth" wife found those pictures and raised hell over them because of his past infidelity.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
My [25/F] brother [22/M] is expecting me to give up a study/internship abroad opportunity and spend the money going to his destination wedding [to 21/F] somewhere I am not interested in travelling to. Am I the unreasonable one?

quote:

Throwaway because I don’t want to link this to my post history.

For the sake of ease, we’ll call my brother Sam and his wife Kate. Obviously not their real names.

My brother Sam became engaged 8 months ago to Kate after a year of dating. They have a 3 month old son. Sam and I have never been super close with each other…..we are very different people and have very little in common. We were very different as kids….I was always reading and he was always playing video games. He dropped out of school at 15, right when I went off to University. He was in trouble with the law for a while there and we didn't have much to do with each other. We get along civilly, but he does allow Kate to make an endless stream of side remarks to me which is a sore point for me. Sam never once sticks up for me, even when my parents have been shocked at what she says. Kate also tries to 'push me out' a lot by saying things like how she is my parents daughter. Basically, she has always tried to take my place to compensate for having had a crappy childhood with a single mother who didn't care about her. It sucks for her, but that doesn't mean her behaviour isn't infuriating for me you know?

Sam and Kate have decided to have a huge wedding and bacherlor/ettes in Thailand and are now expecting me to pay my own way there and book a 11 day trip to Thailand and pay for all my own expenses, including flights. They are taking out a loan to make the wedding possible because Kate has ‘always wanted’ a ‘dreamy beach destination wedding’. (I think that is stupid. I mean it is their life and their finances but why hasn’t that clued them in on how it might also be unaffordable for their guests? If I didn't have savings, would they expect me to take a loan).

They also want me to be a bridesmaid and given that Kate asked her 2 best friends 4 months ago (I saw it on instagram, she did the ‘will you be my bridesmaid’ proposal thing)….I asked why they were asking now and they admitted one of Kate’s friends backed out because of the coats and they ‘need another and there isn’t really anyone else’. They're angry at Kate's friend for backing out, but she agreed to be a bridesmaid before she knew they were planning on taking the wedding from Australia to Thailand. I’m not exactly thrilled about the idea of being a ‘back up bridesmaid’, especially to someone I know dislikes me at worst, is indifferent to me at best. Eff that, tbh. This is going to cost thousands of dollars. My parents are not thrilled about the wedding, but are going along with it because they know any disagreement and my brother will take it out on them because whatever Kate wants, Sam makes sure she gets. My parents love their grandson and they know if they 'annoy' Kate too much, they can forget about seeing him. I think Kate knows that and uses her baby to get her way.

This wedding is not how I want to spend my own money and it is now causing a big drama.

Even before this became an issue, I was always of the opinion that expensive destination weddings are incredibly selfish and entitled because the couple is expecting their guests to pay a lot of money to attend and essentially dictating to them where their next holiday will be without considering they might want to go somewhere else. Go for your honeymoon, don’t make everyone else pay for that too. I mean, I personally have 0 interest in Thailand. I hate the beach……I’m a fair skinned strawberry blonde girl who hates hot weather and can’t go in the water with her contacts in so it’s just…..not my idea of fun at all. I don’t want to spend all my savings on a beach holiday I’ll hate.

I can technically afford to go based on the balance of my savings account, but I’m saving for something important. I’m currently a masters student studying a double masters in European Union Law and French Translation and have been offered the chance to complete five months study in Paris next year and interning for a major government department for three months afterwards. That is my plan for the money I’ve been saving from my part time tutoring job. The wedding is being held during the internship. They want me to give it up even though it could be the big break of my career. This is how I want to use the money. There is now an expectation I’ll back out of this and go to the wedding and even pay to be Kate’s bridesmaid.

I’ve said no. Sam is losing his poo poo because Kate is pissed off I’m not bowing to her wishes. My parents are urging me to reconsider. I know they think this is all bullshit (my father in particular thinks Kate is ridiculous), but they know the kind of hold Kate has over my brother and know if they even slightly upset her, he'll side with her and they might not see their grandkid. They enable her because she’s insane and entitled.

Am I being the unreasonable one?

One of the things that makes Sam/Kate and I so different is that we have different goals and interests. I have an undergraduate Law/French degree (possible in my country) and am now studying a masters degree. Kate has said on Facebook that her goal is to get a husband so she ‘doesn’t have to work’ and can ‘have babies’. Sam dropped out of school and works a blue collar job. I’m not looking down on that, but it means he doesn’t really understand how important opportunities like the one I have been offered are for careers like the one I am pursuing. We are very different people with very different goals in life, which is fine, but it means they don’t understand that giving up and opportunity like this could be giving up my ‘big break’ and to me, my career for the next 50 years is more important than someone’s wedding day. They knew I would be interning in Paris when they selected this date because I told them long before they picked a date. It makes me wonder if Kate knew what she was doing in picking this date.

What do you think reddit? Am I the bad guy for saying I’m not spending all my money to indulge Kate’s ‘fairytale wedding dream’ and sticking to my study abroad/internship plans or do I have to suck it up?

tldr: brother is expecting me to spend the $10k+ I’ve saved to study/intern abroad on a destination beach wedding when I hate the beach and the bride is constantly rude to me. Am I in the wrong for refusing?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

lmao have fun being the only two people to show up at your wedding, chumps

I think I've found the intended audience of the prank bro
My coworker signed me up for a racist organization as a joke

quote:

I have a colleague — a very nice, very young man with a quirky sense of humour and a less-than-fully-formed sense of boundaries around what’s appropriate to say at work. I believe this is his first professional job after graduating. Recently, he joined a racist alt-right political organization (I’m almost certain he did this as a joke, but not completely sure), and told me about this. I thought that was a very strange thing to do, and a strange thing to tell me about at work, but I let it go. We’re both new hires, and I don’t want to make waves.

Today, he went online, impersonating me, and signed me up as a member of the organization. I’m almost completely certain it was a prank (as was his own joining), but I’m now officially a “member” of this organization, which couldn’t be further from my views. I’m sickened to think that my name will now appear on their membership rolls and count toward the official tally of how many members they have. On the one hand, if it’s something anyone can just sign someone else up for, I like to hope my new “membership” in it won’t do me any reputational harm … but on the other hand, if word got around that I’m a member, I would not be pleased.

Would I look like a stick-in-the-mud if I told him that this wasn’t cool, and the kind of thing that might have real professional consequences for him if he did it to the wrong person? Would that be sufficient enough to get him a message without creating problems for him that I don’t want to create?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Haifisch posted:

My [25/F] brother [22/M] is expecting me to give up a study/internship abroad opportunity and spend the money going to his destination wedding [to 21/F] somewhere I am not interested in travelling to. Am I the unreasonable one?

If you want all your relatives to make it to your wedding, maybe don't hold it in Thailand

He's probably only reacting like this because he sees it as an expression of her obvious distaste for his fiancee, but, I don't think she's wrong about that soooooooo

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Pretty sure there are beaches in Oz as well.

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

lmao have fun being the only two people to show up at your wedding, chumps

I think I've found the intended audience of the prank bro
My coworker signed me up for a racist organization as a joke

1) It's not a joke that he signed up for it
2) It's not a joke that he signed YOU up for it
3) WTf you massive weenie? Complain to HR and get this idiot loving fired.

Edit:
vvv :stare:

don longjohns fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Nov 1, 2018

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

failing forward posted:

1) It's not a joke that he signed up for it
2) It's not a joke that he signed YOU up for it
3) WTf you massive weenie? Complain to HR and get this idiot loving fired.
oh, just a little thing, by the way

quote:

One interesting tidbit I forgot to include in my note is that I’m part of a minority group that is one of the targets of the organization my coworker signed me up for. As part of that group, I’ve really been socialized toward “don’t make waves, just be thankful you have a job and don’t get yourself branded a troublemaker”. All of this combined to make me wonder if it was unfair of me to be peeved by this. So it was extremely helpful to hear from Alison, and so many of you, that I’m allowed to be more than “peeved” by it.

I wrote back to the organization immediately, denouncing them and demanding that I be removed from their lists. They say they did remove me. At present time, my name doesn’t seem to be showing up on the internet anywhere as one of their supporters – though who knows if they’ll put me on their website in the future. I feel sick just being on these people’s radar.

In terms of going to HR or this guy’s manager, wheels are in motion, and I’ll send Alison an update when I have one. Thanks again, everybody!

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

halloween breaks libertarians man

30% just for federal taxes? Either somebody's dad didn't know how taxation works, or these kids were bringing in a shitload of candy.

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

trickybiscuits posted:

didn't know how taxation works

He's a libertarian, so yeah.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

trickybiscuits posted:

30% just for federal taxes? Either somebody's dad didn't know how taxation works, or these kids were bringing in a shitload of candy.
Yeah, you would think that the dad would use this as an opportunity to teach tax minimization strategies: charitable candy donations, 401kandy accounts, setting up a shell corporation around yourself...

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

He was teaching the most crucial of Republican Lessons: pigging out on stolen candy and selling it to the rubes as teaching them a valuable lesson about hard realities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Incoherence posted:

Yeah, you would think that the dad would use this as an opportunity to teach tax minimization strategies: charitable candy donations, 401kandy accounts, setting up a sugar coated shell corporation around yourself...