Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

City17
Dec 3, 2006

DropShadow posted:

Can someone explain how you cut a hood this precisely around such an irregularly shaped object? I've always wondered how they do this.

Lots and lots of cardboard templates.

That one looks close enough that it looks like it would hit when the hood opened on it's arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 217 days!)

DropShadow posted:

Can someone explain how you cut a hood this precisely around such an irregularly shaped object? I've always wondered how they do this.

Alt Answer: Photoshop

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Measure 10 times, cut once.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

MrYenko posted:

...only 1,800 G8 GXPs. (gently caress me I should have bought one. I was standing right there with my GTO keys in my hand, I'm an idiot, I'm an idiot, I'm an idiot.)

I wonder how many of those were manuals. It really is amazing that if you bought a G8 GXP manual new, near the end when they were offering crazy deals on them, you could probably sell it today for nearly as much as you originally paid for it.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I wonder how many of those were manuals. It really is amazing that if you bought a G8 GXP manual new, near the end when they were offering crazy deals on them, you could probably sell it today for nearly as much as you originally paid for it.

841. Roughly 46%.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I promised another photo post, so here we go. I've previously posted photos of one of the engines, my ships have all been diesel-electric (or hybrid if you prefer) so this is a post on one of our generators. As I mentioned previously we had a major overspeed incident which necessitated taking apart the generator to make sure it hadn't torn itself to pieces. I'm sure you can imagine a 6600V generator with close to a thousand amps is NOT something you want arcing out.
You will have to forgive the quality of these images, they are taken with my old cellphone camera which was not the best.
So, this is the generator with the front off, showing the rotating assembly (or rotor if you want to be pedantic).

Another view:

Setting up to pull the rotor out:

And out it comes:

Windings:

Raised up on jacks so we can access the pedestal bearings:

Inside the pedestal bearing:

Seems I didn't take as many photos as I thought. But that's the generator open.
I'll have a think about what to post next. I have a ton more photos including our drydock and overhauls of various equipment, but at some point I'll need to be explaining what the equipment is and why it's there, so the posts from now will be a bit more in depth for me.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

City17 posted:

Lots and lots of cardboard templates.

That one looks close enough that it looks like it would hit when the hood opened on it's arc.

If you could set up a nice guide for a plasma cutter, you'd be able to cut the whole thing in one go and clean it up after with hand tools.

I've never had any training and only self taught myself with one at my old job, but if you've got a good guide, with how thin a bonnet is you'd have it cut in about 30 seconds and that's being generous.

Also plasma cutters are probably one of the most awesome things to use. Cutting half inch steel plates like they are butter with next to no effort.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Puddin posted:

Also plasma cutters are probably one of the most awesome things to use. Cutting half inch steel plates like they are butter with next to no effort.
And they can be made with household items :black101:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Two Finger posted:

Seems I didn't take as many photos as I thought. But that's the generator open.
I'll have a think about what to post next. I have a ton more photos including our drydock and overhauls of various equipment, but at some point I'll need to be explaining what the equipment is and why it's there, so the posts from now will be a bit more in depth for me.

So awesome. Keep 'em coming. :)

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
My brother and I decided to head to the mountains for a road rally. Got canned due to snow on the way so we decided to check out the dragon since we were near by and had never been.

And the one from the last autox of the year.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
I love the vinyl on the Miata headlights... It just looks grumpily astonished at everything.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Our local Snap-on guy rolled up in his new truck recently. Notice the vanity plate.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Our local Snap-on guy rolled up in his new truck recently. Notice the vanity plate.

Tool salesman. Extortionist. Same difference.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Today on Jalopnik's Nice Price or Crack pipe, they have one of my all-time favorite cars, a Zil.

Nothing else quite has the same presence as those. Show up in a Rolls, yeah, you have money. Show up in a Zil, yeah, you probably have your own country whose people you oppress from time to time.

I think I like it better than the Mercedes 600. 7.7L V8, 311 HP, 11,000 lbs :psyduck:

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
I would be interested to hear who paid to import it, and why. $990k for that is ri-loving-diculous

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Never change, TaxTheRich.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VlAzVqm2HQ

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
I'm not sure where else to post this, but for anyone else in the NYC-Long Island area, there's a silver Mclaren P1 at Long Island Sports Cars in Roslyn. I drove past and it's really stunning. Plus they might still have a BAR-Honda F1 car in the showroom. And they're totally cool with people coming in and taking pictures.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Empty quoting for later enjoyment.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I love that they just tied on the tow rope to the spoiler... Apparently the buzzkill police are investigating it:

quote:

A spokesman for Lincolnshire Police said: 'The footage showing the wakeboarder and the Ferrari has been brought to the attention of Lincolnshire Police.

'We will examine it to establish if any offences have been committed. It appears that there may be issues concerning excessive speed and the manner in which the car was driven.'

Tax the rich replied:

quote:

It would have been a crime not to do it!

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Nov 26, 2014

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Your car's engine is 6 liters? That's cute.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/11/26/hacking_luxury_cars/?page=1

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

88h88 posted:

I love that they just tied on the tow rope to the spoiler... Apparently the buzzkill police are investigating it:

Tax the rich replied:

Tax the Rich for Top Gear host please.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

88h88 posted:

Tax the rich replied:
"I have no case to answer, as the activity took place on a private road" *Produces receipt for purchase of small village*

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Wasabi the J posted:

Tax the Rich for Top Gear host please.

He's a better Stig than the actual Stig, because he's been anonymous for longer.

(though googling it, it appears a few people have decided who it is)

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

There a bloke who put one of those into a rover sd1, and had to send the v5 into the dvla 3 times as every time they "corrected" the new engine capacity down and refused to believe the claimed new capacity.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Cakefool posted:

There a bloke who put one of those into a rover sd1, and had to send the v5 into the dvla 3 times as every time they "corrected" the new engine capacity down and refused to believe the claimed new capacity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1BnhZsS8a0

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

The writing is quite British.

Mark Whitehorn posted:

Of course, the Meteor produces less power than the Merlin but most people would consider 660bhp and 1,650ft/lbs of torque adequate for road use.

Mark Whitehorn posted:

Behold my saviour: the MIGHTY CENTURION'S SHAFT

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

88h88 posted:

It looks fast in the video but I'm wondering if its mainly the camera angles used? As someone who wakeboards you really don't want to go too much over 22mph, but with still water like that and not doing any jumps I can imagine going a little faster is fine. I doubt they got up to 40 or anything like that. Being reckless with expensive cars you have the money to write off is fine but wakeboarding in shallow water with no helmet can go bad quickly.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

the obvious solution to his high-torque transmission woes is to fit beautiful polished fender flares, wide drag slicks, and a Lenco CS1 five-speed four-lever transmission. :colbert:

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.
e: oh bugger; waaay late.

meltie fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Nov 26, 2014

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

:3:

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 217 days!)

TurboPup needs to be our new mascot!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

He compresses doggy biscuits into doggy doo.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Bolt it on to any motor for an instant 50 D'awwwwpower. :kimchi:

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

88h88 posted:

Tax the rich replied:

Tax the rich is the guy who started foxtons estate agents. The police won't do anything.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

Bape Culture posted:

Tax the rich is the guy who started foxtons estate agents. The police won't do anything.

I think it's more likely that that it's his kids. But they're probably his cars and most of their videos are certainly heveningham hall. Also there's nothing really on the videos that would conclusively give speed away. There's a 10 knot speed limit on windermere yet they still wakeboard on it.

City17
Dec 3, 2006

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Too new...

http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/the-oral-history-of-an-amazing-1930-ford-model-a-off-ro-1588212852

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Colonel K posted:

I think it's more likely that that it's his kids. But they're probably his cars and most of their videos are certainly heveningham hall. Also there's nothing really on the videos that would conclusively give speed away. There's a 10 knot speed limit on windermere yet they still wakeboard on it.

His son is pretty poo poo hot at rallycross yeah, but since the laferrari pic on the way back from collecting it, I'm convinced he's definitely involved. Top lad.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0ezjwTJYz8

:suspense:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hopefully when he's done with MotoGP we get another 20 years of him doing nutso stuff like that on four wheels.