Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Jim Davis is a) very loving bored of Garfield and b) a lot goonier than anyone would have ever assumed

Like, keep in mind he really likes Garfield Minus Garfield and went out of his way to officially authorize the book collection (and even contributed some edits of his own to it), dude's got a pretty edgy sense of humor for what he's spent most of his life on

Garfield without Garfield is legitimately good and weird, and you can do it in your head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Its cool that he's got a good sense of humor about it but drat if you aren't the first person I've ever heard describe Jim Davis as edgy

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
There is a lot of distance between "Jim Davis is edgy" and "Jim Davis' creation 'Garfield' is edgy."

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Jim Davis is a) very loving bored of Garfield and b) a lot goonier than anyone would have ever assumed

Like, keep in mind he really likes Garfield Minus Garfield and went out of his way to officially authorize the book collection (and even contributed some edits of his own to it), dude's got a pretty edgy sense of humor for what he's spent most of his life on

I've heard that apparently in interviews he's said from the very beginning he was aiming to make something extremely simple that appealed to the lowest common denominator when he invented Garfield, and that he could do something smarter, or with more detailed art if he wanted to, but he knew that "Keep It Simple, Stupid" would be the best received. I sometimes believe it when you see little glimpses of his dark humor peek through the boredom, like that one story about how Garf is hallucinating Jon and Odie while slowly starving to death in an empty, abandoned house, or how apparently the last official appearance of Lyman occurred in a Halloween flash game on the official website in the 90s...where you could find him chained up in the basement of the house, and after that the site's faq referred to the gag as the official response of what happened to him...

On the other hand, I've heard theories that the strip has been ghostwritten for some time and Davis just collects checks, which makes me wonder if these weird strips that pop up are frustrated ghost writers slipping them past the editor just to see if they can get away with it.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Lemniscate Blue posted:

There is a lot of distance between "Jim Davis is edgy" and "Jim Davis' creation 'Garfield' is edgy."

Still

Like come on.

Also I thought it was generally understood that Davis hasn't actually worked on the comic strip itself since like the late 70s

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

purple death ray posted:

Its cool that he's got a good sense of humor about it but drat if you aren't the first person I've ever heard describe Jim Davis as edgy

this is the second time in recent memory that a super unambiguous bestiality joke has shown up in Garfield

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Speaking of edgy comic cats, Heathcliff has gotten weird.

https://theoutline.com/post/4084/the-internet-oddballs-who-think-the-heathcliff-comics-are-deep?zd=2&zi=eaforzdy

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Jim Davis has always been up-front that the only reason he ever created Garfield was to sell him out to the highest bidder, which he did. I don't think he's ever been not-bored of his creation.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

mind the walrus posted:

Jim Davis has always been up-front that the only reason he ever created Garfield was to sell him out to the highest bidder, which he did. I don't think he's ever been not-bored of his creation.

He was a marketing professional and picked a bland cat cause more people like cats than any other animal and the blander it is, the less likely it is to cause offence.

It was a planned business decision to, as you say, make money.

He's like the anti-Watterson.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Finding out Jim Davis is edgy is like hearing that whoever writes Cathy hates chocolate.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Solice Kirsk posted:

Finding out Jim Davis is edgy is like hearing that whoever writes Cathy hates chocolate.

Turns out the guy who made Crankshaft has a great sense of humor.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Outrail posted:

How can you have three mothers?

Let me introduce you to the documentary Steven Universe

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
goons flummoxed by basic marketing principles

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Even the guy who makes The Oatmeal, a cartoon so bland and cynically a vehicle for marketing that it is literally generated by SEO algorithms, did some comics about dogs even though they never do as well as cats simple because he was a dog owner and liked them more.

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
his comics about dogs are the only sincere thing he produces and i like them

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Jim Davis is a) very loving bored of Garfield

No kidding!

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Gavrilo Princip posted:

It's not ancephalaic though, it looks like some genetic whoopsy-doo just deleted system32.bab and this is the outcome. Unfortunate but it does happen.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I don't know how involved Jim Davis was in the old Garfield and Friends cartoon but the fact that it exists proves he isn't bland because a bland person wouldn't have let Mark Evanier do all the things he did.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I figured Jim Davis knows inoffensive lowest common denominator dreck makes money, but takes the opportunity to used it to make more interesting stuff when he has ideas and the opportunity.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I figured Jim Davis knows inoffensive lowest common denominator dreck makes money, but takes the opportunity to used it to make more interesting stuff when he has ideas and the opportunity.

The nine lives thing was decent

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Happy Deepwater Horizon Day everyone

Blast of Confetti posted:

ive heard of 4/20 blaze it but that's just ridiculous

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Now I'm wondering if Jim Davis does his real art under a pseudonym and just draws some insane underground comics about sadomasochistic cybernuns doing giraffe acid or something. The recurrent hints that there's something Weird going on behind the respectable bland facade that is Garfield are always interesting.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

barbecue at the folks posted:

Now I'm wondering if Jim Davis does his real art under a pseudonym and just draws some insane underground comics about sadomasochistic cybernuns doing giraffe acid or something. The recurrent hints that there's something Weird going on behind the respectable bland facade that is Garfield are always interesting.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/5914471/holy-crap-this-is-the-most-terrifying-garfield-strip-ever-published

Edit: Ok, technically he didn't draw that stuff but he did publish it as a vaguely Garfield related story

Dixville has a new favorite as of 11:47 on Apr 24, 2018

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Platystemon posted:

Suddenly, a gust!

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

this is the second time in recent memory that a super unambiguous bestiality joke has shown up in Garfield

Have you ever been around cats or cat people? Cats lick people. Cat people call it "kissing" when their disgusting little beasts run their tongues over you uninvited.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

According to Cracked, it's giraffe internal bodily fluids that get you high. Or was that urine?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Dixville posted:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/5914471/holy-crap-this-is-the-most-terrifying-garfield-strip-ever-published

Edit: Ok, technically he didn't draw that stuff but he did publish it as a vaguely Garfield related story
That website gave my phone cancer :smith:

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
I’m sorry to break ranks but Garfield is Cool, and Good, and he is my friend. :jiggled:

Although my favorite and criminally underused character is HHHEEEEEEEEEYYYYYY KIIIIIIIIDDDDDSSSSSSS! It’s Binky the Clown! *circus music*

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

mind the walrus posted:

That website gave my phone cancer :smith:

Hmm well that's no good. I found this other link with the same strip, hopefully it's less cancery?

https://flashbak.com/garfields-primal-self-when-the-cuddly-cartoon-cat-wanted-to-rip-your-throat-out-9160/

Edit: I feel guilty about posting but not contributing Funny Forums Quotes so here's this thing I laughed at:

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

actually, what if hitler had been homeless? i guess there might be situations where it's ok to poison a homeless person, i dunno i'm not a philosopher

Dixville has a new favorite as of 15:06 on Apr 24, 2018

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

lol

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

he bankrolled and is creative director of the Lasagna Cat reboot

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

he bankrolled and is creative director of the Lasagna Cat reboot

I think it’s telling that the only one that got taken down was the one telling people to send mail to Jim Davis and had the Paws Inc address.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

sadomasochistic cybernuns doing giraffe acid or something.

How is your mom, by the way?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sometimes it's both!

I've seen posters in the ED forums complaining about some infinitely spergy detail of a plane under development while simultaneously claiming it's good that ED keeps blowing deadlines over and over again because it means that they're getting it right -- and they would rather have no plane at all than one that's simulated wrong!

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Sagebrush posted:

Sometimes it's both!

I've seen posters in the ED forums complaining about some infinitely spergy detail of a plane under development while simultaneously claiming it's good that ED keeps blowing deadlines over and over again because it means that they're getting it right -- and they would rather have no plane at all than one that's simulated wrong!

Source your quotes

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

Sometimes it's both!

There are entire forums dedicated to erectile dysfunction?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Trig Discipline posted:

There are entire forums dedicated to erectile dysfunction?

Why do you think Games exists

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Oh, well, that's super loving weird. Awful.APK seems to have put that post in the wrong thread.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Well at least it wasn't the abortion thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

Sometimes it's both!

Ah yeah, I remember, off the shoulder of Orion that one