Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32908579815.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.7b9a3c00ooOVLu&mp=1

This and my "he scream at own rear end!" pin arrived! Really nicely done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

https://twitter.com/coolstuffcheap/status/1081878695051182082

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Do you ever wonder if BostonDynamics teaches all sorts of sexy walks to their robots while no one is watching

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
according to twitter replies, that's a real woman with her head/torso inside the table. Which would also explain why she bizarrely flails the leg behind her in an attempt to stop creepers from getting too close

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I would have been thoroughly impressed if that was any real level of tech we have suddenly reached.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I wouldn't be surprised if it were doable? Actual bipedal walking/balancing is way harder than what's in that video, where the table totally has the balance and the legs just have to push it forward while qwoping behind them.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Anne Whateley posted:

according to twitter replies, that's a real woman with her head/torso inside the table. Which would also explain why she bizarrely flails the leg behind her in an attempt to stop creepers from getting too close

Which, to me, is a hell of a lot more creepy that the Rise of The Sexy Robots.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Anne Whateley posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if it were doable? Actual bipedal walking/balancing is way harder than what's in that video, where the table totally has the balance and the legs just have to push it forward while qwoping behind them.

Yeah, but just pushing the cart and having those very coordinated and natural movements are very different things. Especially the interaction between the legs was what made me very doubtful of that being a true robot. At least not one that could work independently, maybe an animatronic type.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Are we going to be flooded with angry ramblings about "robot traps"? Because no one deserves that, especially not the nonexistent sentient robots.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Odds on this serving table would be hosed at least once at the end of a champagne-fuelled evening even if it were a robot.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Odds on this serving table would be hosed at least once at the end of a champagne-fuelled evening even if it were a robot.

Odds are it would be hosed a lot more if it was a robot. Have you heard about thigh-jobs?
Then again, if it was a robot designed by men, it would almost certainly have appropriate holes.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

https://twitter.com/coolstuffcheap/status/1207231576125378560?s=19

If this is real then this is precisely what I'm into

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Is this the mark of the beast my sunday school warned me about? I've been waiting decades for someone to offer to put a mark on my hand or forehead, finger is close enough.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Facebook Aunt posted:

Is this the mark of the beast my sunday school warned me about? I've been waiting decades for someone to offer to put a mark on my hand or forehead, finger is close enough.

Some rubes think UPCs are the mark of the beast which is why Hobby Lobby, a billion dollar retail corporation, doesn't use them.

Just get a barcode on your head

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Mark of the beast is clearly a maga hat

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

The NFC nail goes on your middle finger, ye?

Checking the listing through, I'm pretty sure the coolstuffcheap twitter has misunderstood what it does.
It's just a LED poweed by NFC signals, making it a neat NFC-detector.

The listing doesn't mention any kind of ability to overwrite it to allow for any kind of authentication, just that it glows in the presense of NFC fields.

Pretty rad though. And a feature any card/etc with NFC should have.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

theflyingexecutive posted:

Mark of the beast is clearly a maga hat

:hmmorks:

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

The Bloop posted:

Some rubes think UPCs are the mark of the beast which is why Hobby Lobby, a billion dollar retail corporation, doesn't use them.

Wait what. I haven't been inside a Hobby Lobby in forever. Do the clerks manually punch everything in?

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

SubNat posted:

Checking the listing through, I'm pretty sure the coolstuffcheap twitter has misunderstood what it does.

The listing doesn't mention any kind of ability to overwrite it to allow for any kind of authentication, just that it glows in the presense of NFC fields.

Yeah, that seems correct.

Fun, but pretty useless unlike the NFC ring:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000251442058.html

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

SEKCobra posted:

Yeah, but just pushing the cart and having those very coordinated and natural movements are very different things. Especially the interaction between the legs was what made me very doubtful of that being a true robot. At least not one that could work independently, maybe an animatronic type.

It just needs to look good, there's no reason for the cart not to be self driven with the legs just for show. Think of it like a magic trick, if you're faking the tech to begin with it doesn't really matter where the fake is. Which if anyone remembers the painting that rolled up and shredded itself, the most careful and likely analysis I saw was by a magician who instead of analyzing it at face value assumed it was a trick and reverse engineered the mechanism.

A lot of modern magic is basically custom engineering and fab work.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Picked up a Findking knife a few weeks ago. Can't be 100% sure the steel is AUS10 like it says, but its held up extremely well over the last few weeks, so if nothing else its something close. The finish and feel is pretty great.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32924066701.html

Also not sure if this has been found before, but I found the originals of some of those wild shoes (e.g. Times New Roman) that were posted a while back - Li Ning - https://lining.aliexpress.com/store/2097003
most of their shoes are normal athletic shoes but then they have stuff like these: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33037489156.html https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32910642426.html

Lhet fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Dec 18, 2019

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

queserasera posted:

Wait what. I haven't been inside a Hobby Lobby in forever. Do the clerks manually punch everything in?

Yes.

Granted, many of the products have UPC barcodes on them because they are brand-name products, but they don't use them.

I can't imagine doing inventory there, I want to die just thinking about it.

Also, don't go to Hobby Lobby because they support Every Bad Thing

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Very real. Also a knock-off of an AdaFruit product.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XayPyFnPVko&t=961s
https://www.adafruit.com/product/3781

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

SubNat posted:

Pretty sure some of the reviews mentioned being able to program it.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
That picture is very unnerving. Why would anyone remove their nail in order to install some stupid chip?

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
If you look at the real photos in the listing, you can see that the only components are an led and a resister. I suppose in theory you could program your phone to control the NFC to flash in a particular sequence, but I bet they don't bother.

And don't get freaked- it's a small patch to be glued under a fake fingernail.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Shut up Meg posted:

And don't get freaked- it's a small patch to be glued under a fake fingernail.

Ugh, do you have to glue a fake on? I was hoping to just paint polish over it

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Colonel Cancer posted:

That picture is very unnerving. Why would anyone remove their nail in order to install some stupid chip?

You have to suffer for beauty.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Shut up Meg posted:

Yeah, that seems correct.

Fun, but pretty useless unlike the NFC ring:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000251442058.html

What's the use of this thing?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

copy any nfc data and send it to china to whatever uses it as you like. keyfobs, bank card, etc. :v:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

what are the best ali browser plugins/tools

Sakara123
Dec 10, 2019

The Big Chungus

Synthbuttrange posted:

copy any nfc data and send it to china to whatever uses it as you like. keyfobs, bank card, etc. :v:

I don't see how this could go wrong at all

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
My coworker who makes like $75,000 more than I do and buys stupid gadgets all the time has one of the rings and bought it at full markup in the US. It was pretty neat when he first got it, it can unlock poo poo so acts like 2fa or a token so his dumbass kids can't open his phone with just his passcode*. But I don't even know if he wears it anymore (surprise) or if another useful feature ever emerged.

*his kid is currently facing criminal charges for posting school shooting memes [the kid isn't violent, just incredibly loving stupid] so this is a legit concern of his at all times

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Dec 19, 2019

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

There's coffee cups you can buy in Australia that have these NFC chips in em that work the same

NGL, I do like the idea of putting an NFC chip in my middle finger and flipping off the reader to pay

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

sigher posted:

What's the use of this thing?
As already said: it's a simple NFC tag.

Practically, you'd use it for unlocking your phone and not much more sophisticated than that as the chip is very simple.
If the ring were in a style that you'd wear, then I can see it would be nice to be able to unlock your phone just by holding it, rather than the 'huge' hassle of unlocking it with a PIN/swipe.

In theory, depending on the size of the memory on the chip, you could squeeze contact details onto it and then share them with people by them tapping your ring. I want you to imagine trying to do that at a party or a business meeting.

PokeJoe posted:

what are the best ali browser plugins/tools

I've just started to use the FF extension from https://www.aliprice.com/

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

Shut up Meg posted:

In theory, depending on the size of the memory on the chip, you could squeeze contact details onto it and then share them with people by them tapping your ring. I want you to imagine trying to do that at a party or a business meeting.

Oh yeah I saw him try it, it looks exactly like this

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

charity rereg posted:

My coworker who makes like $75,000 more than I do and buys stupid gadgets all the time has one of the rings and bought it at full markup in the US. It was pretty neat when he first got it, it can unlock poo poo so acts like 2fa or a token so his dumbass kids can't open his phone with just his passcode*. But I don't even know if he wears it anymore (surprise) or if another useful feature ever emerged.

*his kid is currently facing criminal charges for posting school shooting memes [the kid isn't violent, just incredibly loving stupid] so this is a legit concern of his at all times

To paraphrase our prime minister's comment about the middle class: "The 1%, and those working hard to join it."

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
The future is stupid and makes me kinda sweaty.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry

Lhet posted:

Picked up a Findking knife a few weeks ago. Can't be 100% sure the steel is AUS10 like it says, but its held up extremely well over the last few weeks, so if nothing else its something close. The finish and feel is pretty great.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32924066701.html

I freaking love the look of damascus knives, but I've rarely had a chance to handle any and the only one I bought is sturdy and keeps an edge well, but it's also pretty thick with no flex at all. How's your knife on those fronts? Is the blade really just 2mm thick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

I just received this acrylic stupa. I intend to drill a hole to embed one of these miniature lotus sutras within.