Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Another Person posted:

i feel like, especially since 2010, tactical voting has gained more and more currency as an idea online than it really deserves merit for, definitely more discussion than it sees practice. it is a somewhat academic stance to take towards voting, one which very few in the electorate can be bothered with due to the prerequisite research that you need to invest in to get anything out of, and due to the fact that you are effectively gambling on believing that the electorate will not change in any radical fashion compared to the previous election. ie, will turnout change, will a new divisive issue develop, will there be a local scandal, etc. you are basically hoping that the projection someone has made based on last election holds true in this election. some real black box voting, where the only thing that matters to a vote is the strategy and not the policies, people or events that might drive such a decision. it is a psephologists game, and nobody elses.

If you have worked a seat for a while, have a bank of data and a ground game you can make huge inroads by squeezing for tactical votes. It can take a couple of election cycles to work though.

Back when I was a campaign manager we were hammering four districts with a tactical vote message, it didn't really land and we lost by a 0.3%. At the next election we deployed the same message updated with "if just 300 voters had switched blah blah" and we achieved a huge swing in those areas, we still lost but that's politics.

For a long while this was the only way the Lib Dems ever won a seat and they use the tactic extensively to this day. Hang around politicos and it won't be long until you hear about once of their infamous bar charts. I would 100% vote tactically for the Lib Dem in a Tory/Lib Dem marginal. It has more chance of delivering a Labour government than any other action I can take. Obviously I will be off campaigning elsewhere because who cares about that seat, if by some quirk of fate Labour take it it is very unlikely to be anything to do with campaigning on the ground.

Zalakwe fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Sep 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

brian posted:

i mean i'd wait for a lot more corroborating evidence before taking any 'jess phillips under attack' story at face value

hmm yes, because there's certainly no precedent for female Labour MP's being attacked, must be some else afoot.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
Just like to point out Ken Clarke and Amber Rudd both voted to gently caress over the tory party conference.

What a week.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
Because they are a spiteful lot i really hope the tories keep voting Boris down because they want to keep his streak going

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Tactical voting is bullshit that preserves rigid political hegemony. If you're in a Tory/Lib Dem marginal then still vote Labour. For all you know the majority of people voting Lib Dem are doing exactly the same. Maybe Labour doesn't win that seat this time but an increased vote share helps move the dial and makes them viable contenders next time round.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Another braingenius move from Cummies that is sure not to backfire and give Corbyn a fantastic platform to look good on.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Hey KFC_UKI, etc.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Necrothatcher posted:

Another braingenius move from Cummies that is sure not to backfire and give Corbyn a fantastic platform to look good on.

Boris is too busy thinking about No Deal Brexit to fulfill his actual governmental role.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

sebzilla posted:

I'm busily telling all my weirdo middle class hippy XR-type friends in my constituency of Stroud who might vote for Molly Scott Cato (Green) that they should tactically vote Labour to keep the Tories out. Following the thread logic I should be... encouraging them to follow their hearts, vote Green, split the anti-Tory vote and let David Drew's 600ish majority evaporate?

Tactical voting in our FPTP system is a) poo poo and b) necessary

I mean, if they give the slightest poo poo about the environment then surely they should be 100% on board with Labour's environmental policy?

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

Aramoro posted:

hmm yes, because there's certainly no precedent for female Labour MP's being attacked, must be some else afoot.

yes but there's also a precedent for her misrepresenting the facts in regards to her being attacked, specifically around an attack on her constituency office, which I believe turned out to not be unrelated to politics and her IIRC

I didn't even say she was wrong just that you should look for corroborating evidence, that shouldn't be deserving of your lovely hyperarrogant megamoralising shtick that you do every five minutes

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Another Person posted:

Interesting international taxation info.

That's cool, thanks!

My initial doubts were mostly surfacing after I've discovered that SalesForce has decided to expand its Irish operations while it originally had announced they were going to expand the UK one - they bought 2 city blocks in Dublin and are currently building a gigantic "SalesForce Tower", with a new EMEA HQ officespace and apartment blocks meant at least in part for employees. I was wondering how many other large companies are going to go that route with Brexit looming at the horizon.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Aramoro posted:

She's a known liar, and you're a known disingenous bad poster.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Necrothatcher posted:

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if they picked Raab as he's both expendable and most willing to instigate a fist fight with a pensioner.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/1177238784674603010

lol Rachel Johnson calling her own brother a corrupt poo poo.

And regardless of the politics of the guy who called Jess a fascist it will be blamed on the left, just as every neo nazi twitter oval office is blamed on Jeremy Corbyn.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Hilarious how both Johnsons siblings have now taken turns throwing him under the bus.

You have to be truly awful for something like that to happen.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Rarity posted:

Tactical voting is bullshit that preserves rigid political hegemony. If you're in a Tory/Lib Dem marginal then still vote Labour. For all you know the majority of people voting Lib Dem are doing exactly the same. Maybe Labour doesn't win that seat this time but an increased vote share helps move the dial and makes them viable contenders next time round.

This is ignorant of the short term losses that are incurred by that.

The LDs have in the past year done a lot of legwork in loving the Tories as hard as they can. You might not like their policies but at this point if the Tories say "up" the LDs will say "down" out of spite. Given how badly hosed the LDs were under coalition (yes, with their consent), they'd probably self immolate before they ever even went near one with the Tories again.

If people doesn't vote Lib Dem in a LD/Tory Marginals and we have the catastrophe of another Tory majority with the Tories leaving the EU with No deal as a result, the short term consequences are dire. (The long term consequences are also absolutely dire, but we'll at least pretend that overhauling the way we think about voting is a priority above this)

There is a point where ideological voting should fall to practicality and I think this is probably the most stark example of that.

If you live in a Tory marginal beat the goddamn Tories first.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Eagerly looking forward to this week's podcast

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The lib dems absolutely will not gently caress the tories and they will absolutely agree with them 100% on everything, including brexit if it got them back into power.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

CyberPingu posted:

Special Guest: Boris Johnson (that's the reason he's not doing the PMQ).

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

How did I not see this clip of Bernard Jenkins on Newsnight? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXvD4bNAEVc

He is such a piece of poo poo.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Natural 20 posted:

The LDs have in the past year done a lot of legwork in loving the Tories as hard as they can. You might not like their policies but at this point if the Tories say "up" the LDs will say "down" out of spite. Given how badly hosed the LDs were under coalition (yes, with their consent), they'd probably self immolate before they ever even went near one with the Tories again.

If people doesn't vote Lib Dem in a LD/Tory Marginals and we have the catastrophe of another Tory majority with the Tories leaving the EU with No deal as a result, the short term consequences are dire. (The long term consequences are also absolutely dire, but we'll at least pretend that overhauling the way we think about voting is a priority above this)

There is a point where ideological voting should fall to practicality and I think this is probably the most stark example of that.

You have a lot more faith in the lib dems not being cowards and backstabbing labour to side with the tories than me

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Natural 20 posted:

beat the goddamn Tories first.

Agreed, which is why you don't vote Lib Dem

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
On the flip side I'd rather have a yellow tory than a blue tory in parliament just for things like todays vote on the recess for the tory party conference.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
This is probably not kind to say but I think Bozo was attracted to that Arcuri woman because she looks alarmingly like him with a better haircut.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Yes there are a lot of situations where you can 'tactically' shift votes away from the tories, but if you're shifting them to the lib dems, you're just shifting them to a party who are only going to enter a coalition with the tories, so you're effectively voting for the tories.

I feel like the tactical voting angle is more often than not the 'electability' argument writ large. You just have to convince the electorate of an area that it's a tory / lib dem contest, and disillusioned labour voters will stay home or vote for one of the wankers. You're telling people not to vote for someone because nobody votes for them, which lowers the number of people voting for them, and continues the cycle of despair and polls saying not to bother trying to flip the seat.

Whereas if everyone who wants a fairer country got out and voted for the party they want, they could swing a whole bunch of supposedly safe seats,at least if people weren't throwing their votes at the Pissbirds instead.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Sep 26, 2019

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

CyberPingu posted:

Thanks! Anything specific you like about it or think we could do better?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Natural 20 posted:

This is more complicated than it seems because of the nature of the Lib Dems' opposition to the Tories. They're trying to cannibalise them, stripping away as many Cameron Conservatives as they can. They won't prop up Johnson, but only because they see an opportunity for themselves to become a robber-baron right-wing government like the one that pushed us to the brink from 2010 to 2015. They're dangerous because they're offering superficial answers to deep-rooted problems while continuing the policies and mindset that got us into this whole mess in the first place. Think of the Lib Dems, the BXP, and the Tories as engaged in a three-way civil war for the future of the British right and you won't go far wrong.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Miftan posted:

You have a lot more faith in the lib dems not being cowards and backstabbing labour to side with the tories than me

It's not about that, it's about Labour having the highest number of MPs if at all possible so their seen as having the moral right to govern.

As someone mentioned a page ago Labour - 300, Tories - 299, LDs - 51 is a far better result than Labour 300, Tories 300, LDs - 50.

Darth Walrus posted:

This is more complicated than it seems because of the nature of the Lib Dems' opposition to the Tories. They're trying to cannibalise them, stripping away as many Cameron Conservatives as they can. They won't prop up Johnson, but only because they see an opportunity for themselves to become a robber-baron right-wing government like the one that pushed us to the brink from 2010 to 2015. They're dangerous because they're offering superficial answers to deep-rooted problems while continuing the policies and mindset that got us into this whole mess in the first place. Think of the Lib Dems, the BXP, and the Tories as engaged in a three-way civil war for the future of the British right and you won't go far wrong.

This is also true, the Lib Dems have always tried to look both ways but right now they are tacking squarely right.

I think people saying that Swinson is throwing away her seat by comparing Scottish to English nationalism are missing the point entirely. She won't convince nationalists, except maybe some right of centre remainers, she is looking for the Tory votes. Might put some dosh on her holding if the odds are decent actually.

Zalakwe fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Sep 26, 2019

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

brian posted:

yes but there's also a precedent for her misrepresenting the facts in regards to her being attacked, specifically around an attack on her constituency office, which I believe turned out to not be unrelated to politics and her IIRC

I didn't even say she was wrong just that you should look for corroborating evidence, that shouldn't be deserving of your lovely hyperarrogant megamoralising shtick that you do every five minutes

I mean you say that but read any of the news articles around it right now and scroll down to the comments and you'll find plenty of support for people attacking MPs. On balance is seems entirely believable that someone would attack Jess Phillips.

brian
Sep 11, 2001

Aramoro posted:

I mean you say that but read any of the news articles around it right now and scroll down to the comments and you'll find plenty of support for people attacking MPs. On balance is seems entirely believable that someone would attack Jess Phillips.

dude just stop, you're not this clever manipulator you think you are

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Absolutely gently caress the Lib Dems, but we're facing a possibility of a newly total-fascist Tory party collapsing the economy and having a mandate for absolute terror. FPTP is FPTP, it's poo poo but it's going nowhere for now. Tactical voting is unfortunately a must for many of us. You maintaining your personal electoral purity won't feel as comforting when you watch foreign nationals being dragged off to internment camps en masse and the NHS is sold to the US for a tuppence.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/siennamarla/status/1177169194556755971

drat I keep accidentally selling weaponry to Saudi Arabia even after I was ordered to stop this is so embarrassing

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Comrade Fakename posted:

Absolutely gently caress the Lib Dems, but we're facing a possibility of a newly total-fascist Tory party collapsing the economy and having a mandate for absolute terror. FPTP is FPTP, it's poo poo but it's going nowhere for now. Tactical voting is unfortunately a must for many of us. You maintaining your personal electoral purity won't feel as comforting when you watch foreign nationals being dragged off to internment camps en masse and the NHS is sold to the US for a tuppence.

mate that has been happening for 9 years with tactical voting

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011
I voted Lib Dem in my marginal Con/Lib constituency (West Oxford) to get rid of a conservative MP, and I'll likely do so again. The Lib Dems may be yellow tories, but they're still a different party to the blue tories and that matters when it comes to parliamentary numbers, forming a government, parliamentary shenanigans like the last few months.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Comrade Fakename posted:

I mean you'll get that if you vote Lib Dem too it's just whoever is Lib Dem leader by then will just act as a heat sink for all the bad poo poo happening while their coalition partners do exactly what you're describing.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

brian posted:

dude just stop, you're not this clever manipulator you think you are

Are you trying to say you think it's more likely Phillips has fabricated this?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Comrade Fakename posted:

If you vote lib dem they'll let this happen anyway. The 300/299/51 argument only works if you assume that the lib dems will bolster the largest party or work with Labour at all. Unless Swinson and Corbyn suddenly step aside, that's not happening.

The libs are absolutely going to bolster the tories as long as they have the numbers along with the DUP, even if Labour are the largest non majority party.

brian
Sep 11, 2001

Aramoro posted:

no

again, you are not a conversational wizard and your bullshit is incredibly apparent

shas
Jul 27, 2011

maybe next time the lib dems can get a 10p tax on plastic bags to really make it worthwhile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Aramoro posted:

Are you doing a bit or something?