Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Mustang posted:

What's he thinking about ???

thos dunes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Karate Bastard posted:

We dropped the long s so we could have the cool s.

If we kept it we could have the uncool s

Or P, whatever, idk. gently caress. I give up.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Looks like an uncool p p to me?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

root beer posted:

If we kept it we could have the uncool s

Or P, whatever, idk. gently caress. I give up.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Pookah posted:

I'm reading a book about the cultural history of Christmas and found this illustration:

Seems like crappy toilet humor books made solely to be gag Chistmas gifts are extremely traditional - this one is from 1761.
I count 5 poop jokes, though I am probably missing some. For easy of reading, the funny-looking Fs are S's
This isn't a gag gift, it is toilet paper, a valuable commodity in 1761 that might as well come with some entertainment printed on it as you try to poo poo out loaves of bread that only look barely different on the way out.

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf

Nenonen posted:

PYF Funny Pictures: For fome Men read – but all Men —.

not all men....

help im in so much pain

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

OwlFancier posted:

I do enjoy "I wish I was a turd in the shithouse so I could see my girlfriend's arse even if she just shat me out, lol"

big king charles energy.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Kinda looks like a dick and balls ngl.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

LifeSunDeath posted:

dusty rear end stillsuit bussy

Mods plz change my username

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Cocaine Bear posted:

Kinda looks like a dick and balls ngl.

I don't see it

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

The text of this furvivef if you are interefted.

https://www.horntip.com/html/books_&_MSS/1700s/1730s_bog-house_miscellany/part_1_3rd_edition_(HC)/index.htm

Starts off strong with one about a friar eating rear end.

What's a srier?

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

sick of Applebees posted:

What's a srier?

Not much, what's a srier with you?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

I don't see it

Turn off your monitor.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

lol

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Megillah Gorilla posted:

ſo glad we dropped the long s.

Germany keeps on keepin' on with their weird s, the ß. The primary purpose in the year 2023 is probably to confuse foreigners

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

canyoneer posted:

Germany keeps on keepin' on with their weird s, the ß. The primary purpose in the year 2023 is probably to confuse foreigners

I think it's so they can feel smugly superior to people who uses it as a substitute B in their screen name

"Well hello there... x Sattle Lord Slood 99 x :smuggo: "

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

canyoneer posted:

ßhibboleth

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

The True Meaning of Christmas is General Grant dancing on the decapitated heads of reactionaries while a crazy Santa Claus gives a boy a trumpet with which to angrily doot in approval.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

an anti-Xmas card to spread festive gloom

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Last year I got a goon a framed print of this newspaper cartoon of General Sherman gifting Savannah for Secret Satan:

GrandMaster
Aug 15, 2004
laidback

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iris_(anatomy)

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

canyoneer posted:

If you get rid of weird S you have to get rid of umlauts and the German metal export industry would never recover.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

canyoneer posted:

And another thing, why do they keep capitalizing all of their nouns. What is up with that, just chill, Germans

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

canyoneer posted:

And to make people writing scientific papers get the Greek lower-case beta wrong

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Phlegmish posted:

And another thing, why do they keep capitalizing all of their nouns. What is up with that, just chill, Germans

Nein.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Milo and POTUS posted:

I don't see it

You may want to lose some weight.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Phlegmish posted:

I have a tendency to capitalize nouns in English too cause of this. It's actually fine, I say, despite the many protests.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/oPwhObM.mp4

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Phlegmish posted:

Makes things more dramatic as if everything is a Title to Something but could be confusing to people who think they are actually titles.

"She was being a Bitch to Everybody."
"I didn't see that, sorry."
"You don't agree? What about the Incident with the Gluten-Free Bagels in the Pantry?"
"Again, I haven't... Is that on Tubi or something?"

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

It really loses something without "gently caress you, Baltimore!".

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

canyoneer posted:

Back at school they taught us that the Germans were getting rid of their weird s and replacing it with "ss", but now it's years later and they are still using the cancelled letter! What's up with that, explain yourselves, Germans

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

steinrokkan posted:

Back at school they taught us that the Germans were getting rid of their weird s and replacing it with "ss", but now it's years later and they are still using the cancelled letter! What's up with that, explain yourselves, Germans

We got rid of the SS years ago but don't worry, we're on a good road to bring it back!

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Shai-Hulud posted:

We got rid of the SS years ago but don't worry, we're on a good road to bring it back!

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I think "Die Neue Rechtschreibung" aimed to get rid of ß. That whole effort to make German a bit confusing was on par with the attempted metrification of the US.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

English Wiki’s Rechtscriebreform ‘96 article posted:

ß and ss: In reformed orthography the grapheme ß (a modernised typographical rendering of how ss: 18, 21  appeared in traditional Gothic script; it is seldom used in Switzerland) is considered a separate letter that is to appear only after long vowels and diphthongs. In general in German, long stressed vowels are followed by single consonants, and short stressed vowels by double consonants. In the traditional orthography, ß was written instead of ss if the s phoneme belonged to only one syllable, thus in terminal position and before consonants ss was always written as ß, without regard to the length of the preceding vowel. In the reformed orthography, a short stressed vowel is never followed by ß. This brings it into line with the two-letter spelling of other final consonants (-ch, -ck, -dt, -ff, -ll, -mm, -nn, -rr, -tt, -tz). Thus Fass [fas] – Fässer [ˈfɛsɐ], by analogy to Ball [bal] – Bälle [ˈbɛlə]; compare the old spelling: Faß – Fässer, in contrast to Maß [maːs] – Maße [ˈmaːsə] like Tal [taːl] – Täler [ˈtɛːlɐ].

Nevertheless, the new German spelling is not fully phonemic, and it is still necessary to know the plural of a noun in order to spell its singular correctly: Los [loːs] – Lose [ˈloːzə], Floß [floːs] – Flöße [ˈfløːsə] (note that it is however phonemic; [citation needed] [clarification needed] cf. the usage of voiced versus voiceless plosives at word end).[citation needed]

Exempted from change are certain very common short-vowelled words which end in a single 's' (such as das, es), echoing other undoubled final consonants in German (e.g. ab, im, an, hat, -ig). So the frequent error of confusing the conjunction dass (previously daß) and the relative pronoun das has remained a trap: Ich hoffe, dass sie kommt. (I hope that she comes.) Das Haus, das dort steht. (The house that stands there.) Both are pronounced [das].

The so-called s rule makes up over 90% of the words changed by the reform. Since a trailing -ss does not occur in the traditional orthography (which uses -ß instead), the -ss at the end of reformed words like dass and muss (previously muß) is now the only quick and sure sign to indicate that the reformed spelling has been used, even if just partly, in texts (except those of Swiss origin). All other changes are encountered less frequently and not in every text.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

People Who Write In Title Case In English Probably Have Schizophrenia Aber Auf Deutsch Ist Das Total Normal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Endlich normale Scheißpfosten