Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I'm surprised the data for actual eyes instead of blue splotches is even on the disc at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Something about Aya's hair here makes me laugh

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

"Thinking of eating makes me think of masturbating"

ftfy

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
i just beat parasite eve a couple weeks ago

it has aged surprisingly well but that ending portion is really annoying and frustrating

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I can't stand the song from the escape at the end.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHl988vU-TM

To quote someone else: dun dun DUN DUN dun dun DUN DUN
It gets seared into your memory what with the obnoxious turns and dead ends that force you to start over.
I'm partial to its remix from the sequel that shouldn't be mentioned though.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

HGH posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHl988vU-TM

To quote someone else: dun dun DUN DUN dun dun DUN DUN
It gets seared into your memory what with the obnoxious turns and dead ends that force you to start over.
I'm partial to its remix from the sequel that shouldn't be mentioned though.

I think it sets the tone for that whole sequence quite nicely! Parasite Eve will always have a special place in my heart. It was pretty experimental and out there for its time. A shame the sequels didn't hit me quite the same way.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Levantine posted:

I think it sets the tone for that whole sequence quite nicely! Parasite Eve will always have a special place in my heart. It was pretty experimental and out there for its time. A shame the sequels didn't hit me quite the same way.

It was a game that didn't need sequels. Maybe it could have had spiritual sequels with similar gameplay systems but while the original game's story was decent, it didn't have a wealth of lore that I felt needed exploring.

But they did make sequels and we got 3rd Birthday, a ho-hum game with a story that sort of made you want to have its writer arrested.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Keep in mind I thought the VC2 story was tolerable because I had japanese voices on, so it seemed way more appropriate and wasn't bothered as much. I do not know what Avan sounds like in english.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

Tae posted:

I do not know what Avan sounds like in english.

x1000

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I would like to take this opportunity to say that No, I was not trying to imply VC1 was bad, in fact I think it is quite good.

2 and 3 however

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I never played it but I thought 3 was regarded as the best of them.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

Keep in mind I thought the VC2 story was tolerable because I had japanese voices on, so it seemed way more appropriate and wasn't bothered as much. I do not know what Avan sounds like in english.
I'm sorry to tell you this: the story is poo poo even with japanese voice acting.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I never played it but I thought 3 was regarded as the best of them.

Eh, it fixes a lot of stuff from VC2, but it still suffers from a lot of the same gameplay pitfalls. It's not quite as mind-numbingly repetitive, though if you put a ton of hours into VC2 you're probably still going to be burnt out going into VC3.

Also the story, while not amazing, isn't 100% schlock like VC2 was. It's basically goofy anime squadron constantly being sent on suicide missions. There's also a grandma lancer for some reason.

I personally think VC1 is still a much better game. The sequels were varying levels of fun, but they were really "eh I can take this or leave it" sort of fun.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Endorph posted:

I'm sorry to tell you this: the story is poo poo even with japanese voice acting.

I thought the girl getting over being colorblind by willpower was very moving in the original nihongo

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
A grandma lancer who keeps trying to recruit the female characters for the brothel she is planning to start up after the war.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

BloodWulfe posted:

Also the story, while not amazing, isn't 100% schlock like VC2 was. It's basically goofy anime squadron constantly being sent on suicide missions. There's also a grandma lancer for some reason.

The grandma lancer is basically the only actual real criminal outside of one other guy. Maybe the woman spy as well.

Endorph posted:

I never said the story was godlike, I meant it was more tolerable and I was more interested in it over the godawful gameplay that has the worst grinding requirements I've ever seen for basic promotions.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Starting up BoF IV for the first time ever. More excited than I probably should be.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

MockingQuantum posted:

Starting up BoF IV for the first time ever. More excited than I probably should be.

It's a real good game.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
You only get a limited number of steps. While it doesn't actually affect your ability to beat the game, it did somehow draw the fun out of the game for me a bit.

Agreeing with that poster earlier about 3 being the best in series.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
So I think I'm loosing my mind here, as I am considering buying an RPG Maker game on Steam. Last Dream, has anyone played this? It looks pretty good, like really good actually, a SE non phone remake good, it even has a seven hundred forty-seven PDF strategy guide which kinda blows my mind. Thoughts? It seems like this was a labor of love kind of game and that a lot of work was poured into this.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

bloodychill posted:

You only get a limited number of steps. While it doesn't actually affect your ability to beat the game, it did somehow draw the fun out of the game for me a bit.
I don't remember that in Breath of Fire IV. :confused:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

bloodychill posted:

Agreeing with that poster earlier about 3 being the best in series.

You're thinking of Dragon Quarter, not Breath of Fire IV.

Tae posted:

I never said the story was godlike, I meant it was more tolerable and I was more interested in it over the godawful gameplay that has the worst grinding requirements I've ever seen for basic promotions.

VC1 was a relatively gritty WW2-esque story, with pretty dark tones in places, where there was a very real chance of your soldiers dying if you hosed up. Everyone involved was only there because they got drafted into the Militia, and were collectively shat upon by the actual soldiers as being disposable cannon fodder. VC2 is a cheerful highschool drama about "let's be the best soldiers we can be, because that's the best thing ever! :v:" and none of your soldiers are able to die permanently.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Dec 25, 2014

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

dis astranagant posted:

Something about Aya's hair here makes me laugh

Why is that other lady wearing a headcrab?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Im_Special posted:

So I think I'm loosing my mind here, as I am considering buying an RPG Maker game on Steam. Last Dream, has anyone played this? It looks pretty good, like really good actually, a SE non phone remake good, it even has a seven hundred forty-seven PDF strategy guide which kinda blows my mind. Thoughts? It seems like this was a labor of love kind of game and that a lot of work was poured into this.
A lot of the assets look like standard RPGMaker ones. That said, it could still be good.

Shark Tower
Dec 31, 2008

Im_Special posted:

It look really generic, but the reviews are surprisingly positive. It's a little hard to say.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

If you're going to buy rpg maker poo poo on steam make it LISA

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the exit fate guy should get someone to compose original music so i can give him money for his game

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The Taint Reaper posted:

Why is that other lady wearing a headcrab?
Mitochondria.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
I just got a bunch of PS2 JRPGs. Wild Arms 3 and 5, Radiata Stories, Valkyrie Profile 2, and BOF: DQ. Which should I play first? Are there any that just aren't worth it?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Gamma Nerd posted:

I just got a bunch of PS2 JRPGs. Wild Arms 3 and 5, Radiata Stories, Valkyrie Profile 2, and BOF: DQ. Which should I play first? Are there any that just aren't worth it?

WA3 is good, but overlong. If you play it, just stop when you get tired of it and don't worry about it. Dragon Quarter is awesome and VP2 can gently caress off.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gamma Nerd posted:

They're mostly good games.

Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter is the shortest, but with the caviet that it is designed in a psuedo-Roguelike fashion. There is a system in place which can lead to the game becoming unwinnable but you're able to reset with bonuses and additional cutscenes on a subsequent playthrough. It's a fun game but that system really turns some people off.

Valkyrie Profile 2 is a really solid game but the plot hinges really really heavily on you having played Valkyrie Profile 1. If you haven't, you may want to try to play that first. The only thing I'd say is ignore anyone who tries to claim you need to grind. There are things you can grind for but they're 100% unnecessary.

Wild Arms 3 should absolutely be played before Wild Arms V and is probably the easiest of the bunch to just go "play this, it's good." However it is also long as poo poo.

Radiata Stories is kind of an interesting game but it tends to be pretty like-or-hate. I like it but I'd save it for when you're in the mood for something like that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wild Arms 3 is the best of that lot but it's also absurdly long. The only one that I'd say isn't worth it is Wild Arms V, and even that game isn't terrible.

Tergaso
Mar 4, 2007

My God! Wooden eels! Surface! Surface!

Im_Special posted:

I've played (but not beat) Last Dream a few months ago. It's pretty much a crowd-sourced version of FF1; pick four characters from eight classes and go find crystals or something. Classes are kinda interesting in theory, in addition to the six from FF1 there's a hunter and engineer who can kinda cover the healing /attack magic role. I was excited to try out the character skill system, but it's really nothing interesting. You get SP after battle which you can save and buy skills, but the skills available basically have tiers, with upgrades one level up costing as much as the whole tier you're on, so that's dull.

The plot is really dull, but thankfully you can skip all the backstory cutscenes. The soundtrack is all over the place, which is kinda cool in that there is a lot of variety in music tracks, but some of the choices are awful or bizarre. For example a version of Bach's "Toccata and Fugue in D minor" - plays in the first cutscene and dungeon, which just makes me think of Dracula. Dungeons are alright, with the highlight being a different optional puzzle or two, which are fun. It is a long game, with some optional bosses and sidequests. And there's a boring crafting system and a really tedious fishing "game" to add some hours. If you really like FF1 and have nothing else to play I'd get it. I sound sour on the game but it's mostly mediocre with more good than bad parts.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Thanks guys. Are there any other more obscure PS2 RPGs you'd suggest? I already have all the SMT games for the system, the Shadow Hearts games, Grandia 3 and Xenosaga 3.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

VC1 was a relatively gritty WW2-esque story, with pretty dark tones in places, where there was a very real chance of your soldiers dying if you hosed up. Everyone involved was only there because they got drafted into the Militia, and were collectively shat upon by the actual soldiers as being disposable cannon fodder. VC2 is a cheerful highschool drama about "let's be the best soldiers we can be, because that's the best thing ever! :v:" and none of your soldiers are able to die permanently.

VC1 doesn't seem that gritty or shat upon, but then again I played VC3 first which basically put you on a death squad just for looking at a commander wrong. Welkin never got repeated murder plots against him and still had supplies whenever he wanted.

VC2 had decent squadmate missions which mostly meant Avon helped them become a better person. I just wish the gameplay wasn't incredibly tedious like all monster-hunter design PSP games back in that era.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh yeah, nice catch. I must never have played 4 then. Guess I'll correct that at some point.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gamma Nerd posted:

Thanks guys. Are there any other more obscure PS2 RPGs you'd suggest? I already have all the SMT games for the system, the Shadow Hearts games, Grandia 3 and Xenosaga 3.

I'd take a look at Mana Khemia and perhaps the Atelier Iris series. They're JRPGs with a crafting mechanics and a pretty fun combat system based around manipulating turn time. They're probably pretty rare at this point (although MK has a pretty-lovely PSP port) but they're quite fun. They also have a spinoff series called Ar Tonelico but that is heavy on the skeavy fanservice and the second game's translation was so bad the company apologized for it.

If you don't mind pretty fun combat systems tied to pretty lovely stories, Mega Man X: Command Mission and Lord of the Rings: The Third Age are both RPGs you can get super-goddamn cheap. LotR literally rips off the FFX combat system almost wholesale and Mega Man X comes close to doing so. However both have kinda meh dungeons and the stories, as mentioned, are really thin and dull. I mostly recommend them because you can probably get both combined for around $10 and they're worth that if you like JRPG combat.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 25, 2014

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Vgperson has some interesting Japanese RPGMaker games that she translated that are worth checking out.

Also, Last Dream is pretty bad. It gives the impression that it is non-linear, but it's actually not. You can occasionally deviate from the main story and explore some side areas, but you can't really explore freely for most of the game.

It is also stuffed with stock RPG Maker resources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I screwed myself with PS2 rpgs because there was that one point when Gamestop was clearing PS2 games out but I didn't know they were clearing them out, and at the time a lot of PS2 RPGs were going for... maybe 10 dollars at most? I mean Wild Arms 3 was like 3 bucks, Suikoden III was 3 bucks. Wish I was paying attention, coulda built a heck of a library for cheap.