Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Beyond all the nazi stuff, another weak point of this story is that it actually is turning out to be yet another vehicle for a hero vs hero event, and one of the biggest weaknesses of those that was present in Civil War II as well was that the various reasons for the sides that heroes take frequently feel contrived and unbelievable. Like someone else said, this is largely because it all happens so suddenly.

Heroes fighting each other is played out, isn't inspiring in the least, and actually just sucks and I wish Marvel would stop dipping into that well even more than I wish they'd stop doing so many events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Deadpool's motivations are being explored in Duggan's Deadpool book and it dovetails pretty nicely into everything Duggan's done for the past several years with Deadpool and his relationship with Steve Rogers. Elsewhere in the event he's just an rear end in a top hat who likes to make jokes and kill people mostly.

Thor is allied with the Nazis because he's sad and feels Unworthy and if Steve is Worthy then I guess he should be a guy he follows even if Thor thinks everything they're doing is terrible but like, his Dad hasn't called out Cap for being a Nazi so even though Thor feels real bad about doing Nazi stuff he's just going to keep doing it until his Dad gives him a sign.

Everyone else is being mind controlled either by Nazi demons or powered up Nazi hypnotists or possibly something with Cosmic Cube shards, who knows. Nick Spencer is real good at adding so many game-changing McGuffins to any given story that it's entirely possible we'll find out that Baron Zemo is actually a shapeshifting Nick Fury undercover and Mockingbird is a Mockingbird from Earth-3 and Black Widow is a time traveler and is the daughter of the Red Skull thanks to the Infinity Gauntlet because why not

Also Inhumans are really mutants and mutants are really Inhumans! THINK OF THE IMPLICATIONS.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Skwirl posted:

I'm not going to say you shouldn't have done that, definitely don't spend money on things you don't want to, but that's not going to accomplish poo poo.

It accomplished Marvel losing money which in the end is what they care about most.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Deadpool is the worst of them all because he should be aware of everything with his 4th wall perception, and he still goes along with it.

He's the Ultimate Hitler.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Diet Poison posted:

I haven't read any of this story other than the Doctor Strange tie-ins but it's pretty drat objectionable that supposedly Thor and Deadpool are on Hydra-cap's side, somehow?
Like what the hell. I honestly have no objection to the storyline as I know it: "Captain America is a Nazi because of magic trickery; let's see how our other heroes get him out of this situation". And personally I don't give a poo poo, because it's Spencer, it sucks, and as far as I'm concerned if I haven't read it, I don't have to accept it as continuity.
BUT, like at this point Cap is openly a fascist, right? How the hell would you even begin to be stupid enough to side with him. Like Deadpool, is he saying "well I did recently see the horrors of a fascist state with mass graves and everything, but if the guy I was with over there says it's not bad when he does it then golly gee he's probably right because he's a good guy"? And Thor, he's saying "This is for sidelining me, Aaron you dick, now you'll have to try and write around this when your story's supposed to be about me again".

edit: never mind E&C said everything I was going to

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Aphrodite posted:

Deadpool is the worst of them all because he should be aware of everything with his 4th wall perception, and he still goes along with it.

Mercifully, Duggan retconned that away in a satisfying and horrific manner.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've not read much of Secret Empire, but have followed much of the discussion in BSS. Based on the discussion, I get the impression that it's a bit like Identity Crisis?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

To this day I'm sad I couldn't enjoy the chocolate one because it was associated with a NazHEILHYDRA.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Donde Esta posted:

Conversely, since you seem fairly reasonable, do you think the alt-right has valid claim to appropriate Hydra Cap as their own?

I don't know, maybe? I don't think Spencer is necessarily trying to write to that crowd, but enough of the self-justification he's writing for Cap and enough of the arguments defending the book echos so much of the Alt-right that I'm not surprised they have done so. I mean, they also appropriated a stoner frog just because he was a meme, so they aren't exactly discerning in their symbols. The problem is that the writing of the book is so wishy-washy that there really isn't anything to make an Alt-right member think "wait, am I a bad for identifying with evil Cap?" That, in many people's humble opinions, is bad writing. As Archyduke says, the concept could be done well, it just hasn't been in this series.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
How come nobody's talking about the real character-defining stuff happening this week?

Amadeus Cho is a confirmed Methodists.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

El Tortuga posted:

How come nobody's talking about the real character-defining stuff happening this week?

Amadeus Cho is a confirmed Methodists.

That was really strange, yeah.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Marvel now: Hydra are NOT nazis

Marvel 6 months ago:

loving bee-sting-allergic-reaction looking Red Skull though.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Scyther posted:

Marvel 6 months ago:

He got into a fight with Swarm.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

These are the books returning to their original numbers for Legacy:

Amazing Spider-Man #789
Avengers #672
Black Panther #166
Cable #150
Captain Marvel #125
Daredevil #595
Deadpool #287
Doctor Strange #381
Generation X #85
Guardians of the Galaxy #146
Incredible Hulk #709
Invincible Iron Man #593
Iron Fist #73
Luke Cage #166
Mighty Thor #700
Moon Knight #188
Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man #297
Punisher #218
She-Hulk #159
Spider-Man #234

Other titles beginning or continuing in Legacy:

All New Wolverine #25
Amazing Spider-Man Renew Your Vows #13 (With an 8 year time skip)
America #8
Astonishing X-Men #7
Ben Reilly: The Scarlet Spider #10
Black Bolt #8
Champions #13
Defenders #6
Falcon #1
Hawkeye #13
Iceman #6
Jean Grey #8
Jessica Jones #13
Marvel Two-In-One #1
Monsters Unleashed #7
Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur #25
Ms. Marvel #25
Old Man Logan #31
Royals #9
Secret Warriors #8
Spider-Gwen #25
Spider-Man/Deadpool #23
Spirits of Vengeance #1
Thanos #13
Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #27
Unbelievable Gwenpool #21
U.S.Avengers #11
Uncanny Avengers #28
Venom #155
Weapon X #12
X-Men Blue #13
X-Men Gold #13

And one unannounced title. Probably spinning out of whatever happens with Captain America.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I haven't paid close attention to what's going on with the Legacy stuff but as far as I can tell it isn't going to touch Ms. Marvel or most of the new X-Men books they've got started, which is fine with me since that's all I read from Marvel.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

Scyther posted:

Marvel 6 months ago:

What the hell is this from? Red Skull needs his EpiPen.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

rantmo posted:

That was really strange, yeah.

Apparently Methodists are a huge denomination in South Korea.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

X-O posted:

These are the books returning to their original numbers for Legacy:

Amazing Spider-Man #789
Avengers #672
Black Panther #166
Cable #150
Captain Marvel #125
Daredevil #595
Deadpool #287
Doctor Strange #381
Generation X #85
Guardians of the Galaxy #146
Incredible Hulk #709
Invincible Iron Man #593
Iron Fist #73
Luke Cage #166
Mighty Thor #700
Moon Knight #188
Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man #297
Punisher #218
She-Hulk #159
Spider-Man #234

Other titles beginning or continuing in Legacy:

All New Wolverine #25
Amazing Spider-Man Renew Your Vows #13 (With an 8 year time skip)
America #8
Astonishing X-Men #7
Ben Reilly: The Scarlet Spider #10
Black Bolt #8
Champions #13
Defenders #6
Falcon #1
Hawkeye #13
Iceman #6
Jean Grey #8
Jessica Jones #13
Marvel Two-In-One #1
Monsters Unleashed #7
Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur #25
Ms. Marvel #25
Old Man Logan #31
Royals #9
Secret Warriors #8
Spider-Gwen #25
Spider-Man/Deadpool #23
Spirits of Vengeance #1
Thanos #13
Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #27
Unbelievable Gwenpool #21
U.S.Avengers #11
Uncanny Avengers #28
Venom #155
Weapon X #12
X-Men Blue #13
X-Men Gold #13

And one unannounced title. Probably spinning out of whatever happens with Captain America.

Is that for good? Or are they just returning to original number for however long the Legacy event is?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Dunbar posted:

I haven't paid close attention to what's going on with the Legacy stuff but as far as I can tell it isn't going to touch Ms. Marvel or most of the new X-Men books they've got started, which is fine with me since that's all I read from Marvel.

Jean is one of the Legacy people, and she's in like half the comics. I assume it will only touch her solo one though.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

pubic works project posted:

Is that for good? Or are they just returning to original number for however long the Legacy event is?

Hopefully for good and they keep the long running number and have in a big banner at the top when a new arc begins for easy jumping on points.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

El Tortuga posted:

What the hell is this from? Red Skull needs his EpiPen.

http://marvel.com/comics/issue/62043/gwenpool_holiday_special_merry_mix-up_2016_1

It's for however long it takes for them to lose their patience and go "Welp, this didn't instantly triple all of our sales, time to cancel-relaunch everything and another universe-changing crossover event, while blaming readers"

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Out of all that the thing I first took to was the fact that Black Bolt is at least getting a second arc. Here's an image that includes all the storyline names.

Until the book is cancelled I'd imagine.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Omg they are bringing back the "Make Mine Marvel!" Slogan. This is Marvel:Rebirth.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

s that for good? Or are they just returning to original number for however long the Legacy event is?
Legacy is not an event it's a branding for like new/revamped titles a la The Initiative, Dark Reign, Age of Heroes, Marvel Now, All-New All Different, etc. Presumably the renumbering is here to stay until they decide to relaunch books with new #1s at some point in the indeterminate future. You might be confusing Legacy (just an overall branding/messaging for the whole line) with Generations (a series of one-shots in August and September).

Aphrodite posted:

Jean is one of the Legacy people, and she's in like half the comics. I assume it will only touch her solo one though.
You are almost definitely confusing Generations (which will have a standalone Jean Grey one-shot in August) with Legacy. The Generations: Phoenix & Jean Grey one-shot is written by Cullen Bunn, writer of X-Men: Blue, not Dennis Hopeless, writer of Jean Grey, so if it ties in with anything it's probably going to be X-Men: Blue not her solo book. Both books, along with literally everything Marvel is publishing in September and for the forseeable future, will be branded with "Legacy".

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

X-O posted:

Out of all that the thing I first took to was the fact that Black Bolt is at least getting a second arc. Here's an image that includes all the storyline names.

Until the book is cancelled I'd imagine.

Apparently there's a missing spot where there are 52 comics listed and press releases talking about 53 today.
I'm guessing a Cap announcement is held back for Secret Empire.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I just want a big crossover event where the heroes team-up to fight a big bad guy and everyone gets to act in-character rather than looking at them through some new lense. That's happened so much over the past decade since House of M. I just want a team-up where Cap gets to show why he's Cap and Thor why he/she is Thor and Spidey why he's Spidey.

The last time I can even remember that happening was Infinity which I really disliked because it was depressing, it was the middle part in a story (which it wound up being almost an exact clone off) and it was obvious Fraction really didn't want to write either it or a Thanos story in general.

I just want bright, clear art showing why heroes are heroes without anyone trying to tell me some "everything's shades of grey" fable Marvel's been on for ages.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

*Hickman

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I swear to God I make that mistake every time. I think I might have brain damage.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Anyone wanna guess how many of the continuing books even have new creative teams? Gonna guess it's not many. Even calling this a "relaunch" seems like it's a stretch.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'm guessing a Cap announcement is held back for Secret Empire.

Apparently that's what's happening, yeah. I'd assume it'd be a pretty big spoiler for how Secret Empire ends.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

X-O posted:

If you look at extended forecast for solicits Captain America Steve Rogers stops at #19 and Captain America Sam Wilson stops with #24. In August there's just Captain America #25. My guess is that's when Steve takes over the only Captain America title and Sam goes to The Falcon #1.

Moon Knight #188

1980-1984, Moon Knight Vol 1, 38 issues
1985, Moon Knight Fist of Khonshu, 6 issues
1989-1994, Marc Spector Moon Knight, 60 issues
2006-2009, Moon Knight Vol 3, 30 issues
2009-2010, Vengeance of Moon Knight, 10 issues
2011-2012, Moon Knight Vol 4, 12 issues
2014-2015, Moon Knight Vol 5, 17 issues
2016-2017, Moon Knight Vol 6, 14 issues

38 + 6 + 60 + 30 + 10 + 12 + 17 + 14 = 187.

Stop arguing about loving NAZIS and start doing some math. Some of those numbers look wrong. Yes, Doctor Strange #381, I'm talking about you.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He has 212 from stuff actually called Dr. Strange. Another 100 or so from limited stuff, Marvel Premiere and Strange Tales.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Pretty sure they're just counting all of Strange Tales towards the numbering, since the Doctor Strange book from 1968 carried over the numbering.
So that's 183 issues of Strange Tales/Dr. Strange
81 issues of Doctor Strange (1974-1987)
90 issues of Doctor Strange: Sorceror Supreme (1988-1996)
25 issues of Doctor Strange (2015 - September 2017)

That's 379 issues as of September solicits, maybe Doctor Strange's renumbering doesn't kick in until November?

The other one I wasn't sure about was Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man.

263 issues of Spectacular Spider-Man (1976-1998)
27 issues of Spectacular Spider-Man (2003-2005)
4 issues of Peter Parker: the Spectacular Spider-Man (June-September 2017)

only gets you up to 294.

BUT: The first-first volume of Spectacular Spider-Man was a two issue experiment with Marvel doing pricier "book length magazine" comics in 1968. So that makes 296 issues of Spectacular Spider-Man and then the fifth Zdarsky issue is #297.

I think they actually thought this out. Unlike Nick Spencer amirite, UP TOP MY BROTHER

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jul 1, 2017

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Edge & Christian posted:

263 issues of Spectacular Spider-Man (1976-1998)
27 issues of Spectacular Spider-Man (2003-2005)
4 issues of Peter Parker: the Spectacular Spider-Man (June-September 2017)

only gets you up to 294.

BUT: The first-first volume of Spectacular Spider-Man was a two issue experiment with Marvel doing pricier "book length magazine" comics in 1968. So that makes 296 issues of Spectacular Spider-Man and then the fifth Zdarsky issue is #297.

I think they actually thought this out. Unlike Nick Spencer amirite, UP TOP MY BROTHER

I don't know if it's those two magazine issues but it might be the two issues of Spectacular Scarlet Spider from the Clone Saga era. That makes more sense as it actually replaced the first volume for two months.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

X-O posted:

I don't know if it's those two magazine issues but it might be the two issues of Spectacular Scarlet Spider from the Clone Saga era. That makes more sense as it actually replaced the first volume for two months.
For some reason (maybe because it smacked of Age of Apocalypse) I always think that gimmick ran four months/issues. You are quite likely right. I don't have the patience to count all of the Amazing Spider-Manses to see if they include Amazing Scarlet Spider in there.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Edge & Christian posted:

For some reason (maybe because it smacked of Age of Apocalypse) I always think that gimmick ran four months/issues. You are quite likely right. I don't have the patience to count all of the Amazing Spider-Manses to see if they include Amazing Scarlet Spider in there.

Web of Scarlet Spider did run for four months so that might be why it's sticking in your head that way.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Edge & Christian posted:

Here's what I get counting the volumes (not counting any .1 issues)

Amazing v1 - 441
Amazing Scarlet Spider - 2
Amazing v2 - (1-58 and 500-700) = 259
Superior Spider-Man - 33
Amazing v3 - 18
Amazing v4 - 32 (current solicited number)

That gives me 785. There was an Amazing Spider-Man Special in 2015 that gets it to 786. There's a 19.1 and 20.1 for volume 3 because of a parallel story running but no actual 19 or 20 so they might be mistakenly counting two issues from that. Anyway, there's also a chance we get 34 issues from the current volume.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Edge & Christian posted:

Legacy is not an event it's a branding for like new/revamped titles a la The Initiative, Dark Reign, Age of Heroes, Marvel Now, All-New All Different, etc. Presumably the renumbering is here to stay until they decide to relaunch books with new #1s at some point in the indeterminate future. You might be confusing Legacy (just an overall branding/messaging for the whole line) with Generations (a series of one-shots in August and September).
You are almost definitely confusing Generations (which will have a standalone Jean Grey one-shot in August) with Legacy. The Generations: Phoenix & Jean Grey one-shot is written by Cullen Bunn, writer of X-Men: Blue, not Dennis Hopeless, writer of Jean Grey, so if it ties in with anything it's probably going to be X-Men: Blue not her solo book. Both books, along with literally everything Marvel is publishing in September and for the forseeable future, will be branded with "Legacy".

Yeah you're right. I was thinking of Generations.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Wanderer posted:

Apparently Methodists are a huge denomination in South Korea.

Missionary work in the pacific shaped a lot of religious belief. One of the interesting effects mormon missionary work has is that it created a huge recruiting pool of samoan athletes for the college athletic programs in Utah. And by athletic programs I mean football offensive linemen the size of pick up trucks that do hakas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Pak actually mentioned Cho's religion and struggles with faith offhandedly back in Incredible Herc. I think it was the Hades arc.

• Locked thread