Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Zool posted:

Also you'll get comfortable with keeping the throttle pinned, which is much harder to do on a 600.

This is also true.

When I started getting 'fast' on the SV, I'd put in some killer laps when the track was clean. If I got caught up with traffic, it could add as much as 10 seconds to my lap time until I got clear.

By the last few track days on my SV coming up to traffic would only add 1-3 seconds, passing large groups of bikes in the top groups of the local trackday providers. That's when I figured myself ready for a 600 and it's been a wonderful transition. When you can pass people on 600s like they're standing still in the corners on an SV you just monster those same people on a 600 when you get comfortable with the added speeds (takes a few days).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
It was exasperated by the fact that HPT is a fast track, it wasn't so much a problem at H2R or Hallett. We'll see...

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
race weekend!

http://www.cmraracing.com/images/hp/cmra_flyer_tws_july2013.pdf

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Good luck! What races are you riding in?

xaarman fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jul 24, 2013

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
the 4hr mini endurance with the team, and if i can borrow the bike to spring, Formula 4 and E superstock. :)

Carbonate
Aug 3, 2005
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]
Working race control for the Canadian Superbike Championship round this weekend! Camping at racetracks is the best thing... gonna be at the track from tonight till Sunday. Hell yeah

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
What exactly does it mean to "work race control"?

Carbonate
Aug 3, 2005
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]
Basically, I get info from all of the marshals about incidents, track conditions, whatever else is happening and make sure things are dealt with correctly. Also I work with the organizing body for whatever they need - black flags, etc.

All about making sure things are safe and on schedule.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
i know how much work it takes to keep a race weekend on schedule. i wouldn't want that job. good luck dude!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Yeah that sounds like stressful work, good luck. I like every track worker I've met, they always seem to know what they're doing, (even though they're mostly volunteers, right?), and they've always been friendly and helpful whenever we crashed.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
i can't sleep the night before races, all anxious and excited. all that disappears when the green flag drops. let's gooooo!

from my first race, ghetto number plates and all. 4/10/10

Veritas fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jul 27, 2013

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
went from top ten, to 20th in the blink of an eye due to a mechanical. bad fuel filter, but we still finished the 4hr endurance. them is the breaks.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
To anyone running the new Q3 - looks like cold pressures are a lot different than the Q2.
http://feelthetrack.com/testing-program/tire-testing/dunlop-q3-track-day-tire-initial-evaluation/

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
decided to renovate my engine this weekend. in the form of a new skylight.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Veritas posted:

oh god :suicide:

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Since you're renovating, don't forget to keep your Fung-Shui in order.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Veritas posted:

Well that bolt still looks useable at least :(

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
don't know if i wanna source and engine and swap it in, part out the bike, or sell the bike and all my spares as is. i'm not even pissed, just a little annoyed.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

BlackMK4 posted:

To anyone running the new Q3 - looks like cold pressures are a lot different than the Q2.
http://feelthetrack.com/testing-program/tire-testing/dunlop-q3-track-day-tire-initial-evaluation/

The new D212's run lower pressures too, as low as 1bar cold in the rear.
http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.eu/dunlop_euen/mc/tyres/on_road/Sportmax_D212_GP_Pro.jsp

Zool fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Sep 4, 2013

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Random question for you track guys: If you take out another rider at the track, are you responsible for their repair/medical bills? I'm sure you have to sign a waiver saying that you won't sue the track/organizers but what about other riders? Is there some sort of legal "assumption of risk" that occurs? I'm assuming most vehicle insurance companies here the words "racetrack" and pretty much automatically deny your claim.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Your poo poo is your problem. Be it your bike or your spine, don't put it on a racetrack if you can't afford to snap it in half.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Spiffness posted:

Your poo poo is your problem. Be it your bike or your spine, don't put it on a racetrack if you can't afford to snap it in half.

I live in America, you can always sue somebody.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Do they even allow pilion rides at tracks?

I know that some tracks won't even let you take a passenger in a caged car, let alone on a motorcycle.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
I thought by take out another rider he meant, you know, torpedoing someone.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

OH, in that case. Yes, you'll probably get sued in :911:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

SaNChEzZ posted:

I know that some tracks won't even let you take a passenger in a caged car, let alone on a motorcycle.

I'm late to the party but one of the local guys that hosts events will usually do a two-up session at lunch or end of the day as long as the passenger has appropriate gear. Usually only 1-2 "couples" will go out but they have fun.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

SaNChEzZ posted:

As long as the second person meets the PPE requirements, it's never been an issue at any track I've been to.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

NitroSpazzz posted:

I'm late to the party but one of the local guys that hosts events will usually do a two-up session at lunch or end of the day as long as the passenger has appropriate gear. Usually only 1-2 "couples" will go out but they have fun.

Yeah I'm planning on doing this with the wife and maybe some friends at the next open trackday.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Nothing wrong with a little two up riding.

About to acquire a enclosed trailer and sign up for the local race club. This just went from 'expensive hobby' to 'lol'.

Also hoping to get in a rain day in Oct here in the northwest. If you hope for rain you can't be disappointed!

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

xaarman posted:

As long as the second person meets the PPE requirements, it's never been an issue at any track I've been to.

A reminder that MosesPLester is going semipro as a track passenger

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

I have no idea if side cars are allowed at normal track days, I've never seen it or asked.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

xaarman posted:

I have no idea if side cars are allowed at normal track days, I've never seen it or asked.
They are not. We tried. After we built it, we wanted some track time before the first race, and contacted a bunch of track day places. All said no. You can guess the reasons. A 40 year old sidecar, 3.5' wide, with a 50hp motor on the track with R1s. Throw in a total lack of experience on the part of the sidecar operators and lots of the R1 riders.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

They are not. We tried. After we built it, we wanted some track time before the first race, and contacted a bunch of track day places. All said no. You can guess the reasons. A 40 year old sidecar, 3.5' wide, with a 50hp motor on the track with R1s. Throw in a total lack of experience on the part of the sidecar operators and lots of the R1 riders.

That's weird - some of the providers out here allow sidecars. Maybe it's because there's more sidecar-age out here so there's enough of them to make it worthwhile?

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Are we talking about sidecars?

or sidecars?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Z3n posted:

That's weird - some of the providers out here allow sidecars. Maybe it's because there's more sidecar-age out here so there's enough of them to make it worthwhile?
What sort of sidecars do you mean? Modern F1/F2? I would think anything less than that would be a hazard to other bikes given the difference in speed.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

What sort of sidecars do you mean? Modern F1/F2? I would think anything less than that would be a hazard to other bikes given the difference in speed.

Is your sidecar setup slower than a Ninja 250? But yeah, Modern F1/F2. Haven't seen many vintage ones around.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003

Spiffness posted:

Nothing wrong with a little two up riding.

About to acquire a enclosed trailer and sign up for the local race club. This just went from 'expensive hobby' to 'lol'.

Also hoping to get in a rain day in Oct here in the northwest. If you hope for rain you can't be disappointed!

yep, just put all your hard earned dollars inside the trailer and set it on fire. congrats on deciding to join the race club! i've met tooons of cool people, and have mad countless memories at race weekends. :)

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Z3n posted:

Is your sidecar setup slower than a Ninja 250? But yeah, Modern F1/F2. Haven't seen many vintage ones around.
I don't think it is. It takes up 3-4 bike widths in corners, which it takes a hell of a lot slower than f1/f2, though. And a third of that width is my torso and head in a good position to get run over by a Gixxer bro blowing a corner.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
so i found a motor to replace the one i grenaded. an 07 750 with 4k miles on it. comes with everything needed for the motor swap. deal was t o good to pass up. and now i'll have more power than i know what to do with, again. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Any reason not to pick this up as a fantastic off-season acquisition?

http://www.cmraracing.com/showthread.php?29046-FS-2007-honda-cbr-600rr-endurance-bike

Suspension is set for a 180-200lb rider, how off will I be at 170 lbs? How much would it cost to get it re-sprung for my weight? Mileage is about 10-13k, but he has used different sprockets... is this a bad thing to not know the true mileage on the motor? Also no kickstand, so will have to work around that issue temporarily.

• Locked thread