Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

lol

I've heard Trump quote that line once and I thought he was making it up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

A Handed Missus posted:

lol

I've heard Trump quote that line once and I thought he was making it up

she even cracks a smile when she says it

she is an uncaring robot completely out of touch with everything

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Naked Bear posted:

I don't have an answer for that specific demographic, sorry. I just meant that as a broad statement which applies equally to both major parties.

Unfortunately, this has always been a problem for us. I don't know why this continues to be a problem, but voter turnout is the one thing that pisses me off each election cycle. Why is it that people aren't voting? Is it that people don't care? Are they too lazy? Are kids not being taught about civics? Do people not understand how their system of government works? It's not exactly difficult to register to vote (some places let you register the day of!), and it's not as if any coming election is a surprise (everybody knows that it's coming). Polls are open all day, many places let people vote early, and people can cast their votes in absentia! What gives? :(

Aside from gerrymandering and Republican efforts at voter suppression the electoral system itself is a problem. During the primaries there was plenty of "gently caress you independents if you wanted to vote in the parties closed primaries why didn't you register for it, on time etc". This system lead to two of the most disliked candidates in history and made independents feel disenfranchised further suppressing interest in voting. The primary system with different states voting at different dates means that the early voters carry more weight so a late voting state carries meaningless votes. These are just a few things but I feel that anything that disenfranchises people or suppresses the vote or engagement is not a good thing and needs to be addressed.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

I just have no faith in the chinese actually doing something. They love to say they will and then just not do it. It makes them feel important.

The Paris Accords is pretty much make a promise to reduce where you set your own goals, achieve your own goals, and if you don't, who cares. No penalties. Also you get to report your own progress.

China is known for not having accurate reports come out of it to the point where the chinese reported GDP is so fake that people are measuring their GDP in other metrics like seaport cargo volume or area of floor space currently under construction.

Hell you can just look at the imports to and from hong kong and see that yep, they just make poo poo up.

In the end the Paris Accords just don't do anything by itself and there is no reason to be a part of it. We can reduce our own emissions by our selves, which is what the Paris Accords says to do, and we can't enforce reduced emissions on other countries, again, what the Paris Accords goes by.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I dunno I kind of like the idea of ignoring the UN's environmental fine program and instead dumping it all into conversation and EPA stuff. But I'm pretty loving out there in terms of what I actually want. I am the .3%

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
We were never going to make it off this planet anyways. Atleast we can go all Fury Road if the nukes don't take us.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I'd rather go out Lucifer's Hammer style

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VikingSkull posted:

she even cracks a smile when she says it

she is an uncaring robot completely out of touch with everything

Yeah it's amazingly tone deaf.

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

Third World Reggin posted:

Things I completely agree with

I'm just tryin to stay positive, man :unsmith:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VikingSkull posted:

I'd rather go out Lucifer's Hammer style

The communist forces of the Sierra Foothills mercilessly gunning down the poors cannibal atheist hordes is more likely than you think, brother.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Hindsight is 20/20 but I really wish it had been Bernie.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I'm wondering how much dumb Christian poo poo we're going to have to put up with. Trump doesn't give a poo poo but Pence sure does, will we get more braindeads kept alive by the state on the yugest most luxurious gilded feeding tubes and coathanger abortions in America's freshly Muslim-Free alleys?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Larry Parrish posted:

The communist forces of the Sierra Foothills mercilessly gunning down the poors cannibal atheist hordes is more likely than you think, brother.

idc I'm the dude surfing the tsunami

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Thankfully the vice president doesn't have much power unless trump dies so Pence's views should be a non issue.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Thankfully the vice president doesn't have much power unless trump dies so Pence's views should be a non issue.

Yeah look at Cheney.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

trump promised kasich basically unlimited power while trump was off making america great again

kasich was horrified by this and declined

pence however took the deal

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

The Vice President has exactly as much power as the President allows him to have. On paper, the VP is useless except for succession. In practice, the VP can have a lot of sway.

If the President wants to jet-set around the world being a cool guy and lets the Vice President pick everybody and organize policy that the President rubberstamps, then you get Dick Cheney.

If the President wants to do everything and make the Vice President sit in Congress and patiently wait for a tie, you get LBJ as Kennedy's VP.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Yeah look at Cheney.

Look if the guy is imbibed with the power of Khorne, Tzeentch, Nurgle, and Slaanesh...it's going to be a bit different.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
pretty much all executive power is delegated from the Office of the President so yeah Pence could probably do everything

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

Potential BFF posted:

I'm wondering how much dumb Christian poo poo we're going to have to put up with. Trump doesn't give a poo poo but Pence sure does, will we get more braindeads kept alive by the state on the yugest most luxurious gilded feeding tubes and coathanger abortions in America's freshly Muslim-Free alleys?

Well Mike Pence is a VP so somewhere between none and very little because he is yugely unimportant

Vasudus posted:

trump promised kasich basically unlimited power while trump was off making america great again

kasich was horrified by this and declined

pence however took the deal

Source this please.

"You have unlimited power to break ties in the Senate"

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

milk milk lemonade posted:

Source this please.

"You have unlimited power to break ties in the Senate"

http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/07/politics/john-kasich-donald-trump-election-2016/

Kasich told CNN's Jake Tapper that he didn't receive a call himself. But he said one of his aides confirmed to him a New York Times report last month saying Donald Trump Jr. tried to entice Kasich with a position as the most powerful vice president in history -- putting him in charge of all domestic and foreign policy -- was accurate. "That's what one of them has told me, yes," Kasich told Tapper in an interview aired Sunday on "State of the Union."

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Casimir Radon posted:

Trouble is a lot of the working class whites won't listen. They can't have their coal mining job back because it's not economically or environmentally feasible. They think targeted stimulus, education, and other social programs are communism. And repealing gay marriage and the like are non-negotiable. They've had their brains scrambled and there's not much you can do for them.

Try. Because I'm surrounded by these people and many of them are not as obstinate as half the people in this thread.

Casimir Radon posted:

The problem is that apparently the only way to reach them is to lie and tell them things are going back to the way they were before. We could help fix these areas by stimulating the economy and providing free job training but they've been conditioned into thinking it's communism.

Nope. People around here have no faith because they have poo poo for education opportunities, less chance for government assistance because it's rural and white, and local jobs are sinking. The loving BAR closed in this town because people didn't have disposable income enough to keep it alive. Meanwhile Tesla is shipping in hundreds of workers for the gigafactory and wrecking the local cost of living because surprise surprise, bankrupt desert melon farmers don't make good high tech employees with rural high school education. But one side tells them "Sorry, you're hosed," while the other side says "We'll find a way to make it better." Whether you believe him or not, it's worth a loving shot because the alternative is voting for the people who openly poo poo on you.

Edit:
Ok, this branch of discussion was pretty much settled already.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Nov 10, 2016

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Look if the guy is imbibed with the power of Khorne, Tzeentch, Nurgle, and Slaanesh...it's going to be a bit different.

we're talking about the God-Emperor of Mankind now, though

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Do people think trump, an egotistical man, would give up much power?

EDIT: I get why he would offer things like unlimited power to people, since he is known for backing out of his deals.

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Nov 10, 2016

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Do people think trump, an egotistical man, would give up much power?

EDIT: I get why he would offer things like unlimited power to people, since he is known for backing out of his deals.

Historically in his businesses he's been a delegation guy, not a micromanage guy

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I dunno about you guys but I've always enjoyed orchestra type music, from the classical to whatever they play on NPR these days.

I found this one that's Super Mario RPG's Legend of the 7 Stars orchestra. This poo poo made me happy so if any of you are 30+ year old nerds and remember this game here you go and hopefully it cheers you up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQtZOIznCPc

if not then SMDFTB fgt *no offense N4I*

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

Vasudus posted:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/07/politics/john-kasich-donald-trump-election-2016/

Kasich told CNN's Jake Tapper that he didn't receive a call himself. But he said one of his aides confirmed to him a New York Times report last month saying Donald Trump Jr. tried to entice Kasich with a position as the most powerful vice president in history -- putting him in charge of all domestic and foreign policy -- was accurate. "That's what one of them has told me, yes," Kasich told Tapper in an interview aired Sunday on "State of the Union."

So ignoring the fact that this is essentially something Kasich heard from someone else, how is it proof positive that Trump was going to actually follow through on it? They didn't hammer out any deal.

Mike Pence is a non-factor. The concerning thing is that All-Universe Retard Sarah Palin is being considered for a cabinet position :stare:

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

milk milk lemonade posted:

So ignoring the fact that this is essentially something Kasich heard from someone else, how is it proof positive that Trump was going to actually follow through on it? They didn't hammer out any deal.

Mike Pence is a non-factor. The concerning thing is that All-Universe Retard Sarah Palin is being considered for a cabinet position :stare:

You're more than welcome to not believe it, and hopefully it's not true!

However that's about as strong of a confirmation that you would get from Kasich at that point in the race.

Either way, I guess we'll find out in 70-odd days or so.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Welp I suppose it could go either way. And so begins the waiting game.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I really do hope Trump's ego gets the best of him just so he can respond to the gentle whispers of "biblical marriage" and "repeal Roe vs. Wade" with "gently caress off."

As for Palin, I guess it was foolish to hope we were finally rid of that stupid oval office.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
My only hope is that Trump is actually the centrist/democrat he appeared to be prior to deciding on running for office. That he looked at the political field after Obama, realized that his best shot is in 2016, and that he could either run and face a unified democratic party under Hillary or a clusterfuck of empty suits with red ties. Then he said whatever crazy poo poo he thought would get the votes.

This is of course, likely 99% bullshit, but I can dream.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Handsome Ralph posted:

Proclick.

I think a few of you have mentioned listening to the Keepin' it 1600 podcast (some former Obama staffers/speechwriters host it), but if you haven't and the results of the election upset you, you really should listen to their latest podcast. They go over some hard truths that need to be examined in the wake of things.

https://soundcloud.com/keepinit1600/ep-50-the-day-after

It made me feel a little bit better at least.

When Trump got the nomination, I said that the only way he'll win is if liberals spend the next few months huffing each other's farts on social media and then not voting because they think Clinton can't lose. I'm glad that I was right all along.

oh wait no i'm not

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Vasudus posted:

My only hope is that Trump is actually the centrist/democrat he appeared to be prior to deciding on running for office. That he looked at the political field after Obama, realized that his best shot is in 2016, and that he could either run and face a unified democratic party under Hillary or a clusterfuck of empty suits with red ties. Then he said whatever crazy poo poo he thought would get the votes.

This is of course, likely 99% bullshit, but I can dream.

I tell myself that the people elected to office have voters to answer to and I'm positive the GOP would like to hold their office. That being said, they have to see how chaotic poo poo got and they can't make too many drastic moves to placate an ever fickle voting base that could easily swing the other way.

But this is me applying logic and rationale into a Trump-led United States of America so gently caress me right

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
at the very least, we're entering some type of new golden age of comedy

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Fister Roboto posted:

When Trump got the nomination, I said that the only way he'll win is if liberals spend the next few months huffing each other's farts on social media and then not voting because they think Clinton can't lose. I'm glad that I was right all along.

oh wait no i'm not

Yeah, when Clinton announced she was running, I posted on twitter that video of Mr. Wolf from Pulp Fiction telling everyone to not start sucking each others dicks yet, they still had work to do.

:smith: :hf: :smith:

holocaust bloopers posted:

I tell myself that the people elected to office have voters to answer to and I'm positive the GOP would like to hold their office. That being said, they have to see how chaotic poo poo got and they can't make too many drastic moves to placate an ever fickle voting base that could easily swing the other way.

But this is me applying logic and rationale into a Trump-led United States of America so gently caress me right

This is what I'm telling myself in that even if/when the ACA is repealed, they will find a way to keep the preexisting condition clause around since removing it would dick over a big portion of their constituency. There is no loving way they get rid of that and easily hand wave it away.

Also my girlfriends dad keeps saying he wants to get rid of the ACA and replace it with UHC. He also believes Trump is going to do this. :lol:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

So apparently WV elected a democratic governor. As did NC.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Handsome Ralph posted:

This is what I'm telling myself in that even if/when the ACA is repealed, they will find a way to keep the preexisting condition clause around since removing it would dick over a big portion of their constituency. There is no loving way they get rid of that and easily hand wave it away.

These people have happily voted for policies actively harmful to themselves for decades. What in the world makes you think theyre going to stop now.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

psydude posted:

So apparently WV elected a democratic governor. As did NC.

OH GOOD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

The only comfort I'm taking out of this election is that Massachusetts voted to legalize recreational weed :350:

• Locked thread