Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Max posted:

Paul has a grating personality but he also knows how to play the game well, as evidenced by the fact that Matt literally asks "what does Paul want us to do" every once in a while, so going after him directly really wasn't a good idea this early on.

Counterpoint: He took loving Nicole to the final two last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

BonoMan posted:

Counterpoint: He took loving Nicole to the final two last year.

Normally that would have been an ok move, but Paul had rubbed so many people the wrong way that he ended up losing votes he should have won. Despite what the jury may have said after, they weren't ever going to give Paul the money no matter who he chose. They were definitely bitter.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I can't get too critical for Paul on that. It was the wrong call but I get why he thought Nicole would have done more damage with the jury than James. The problem was Paul didn't have a good enough understanding of individual relationships to realize who was locked in with Nicole and why Day and Nat weren't locks with the way he played them. Paul doesn't realize how badly he burns people and he's doing it again this year. He's BB Russell Hantz.

Turbl posted:

Wow did Jess really compare talking poo poo about Cody to talking poo poo about Jason's wife? A woman who has never been involved in Big Brother? Not to mention comparing a real life marriage with child and a showmance that met like what a month or so ago and has never been tested outside of the house. Jody are amazingly delusional.

Yeah. Its a big part of why I think its relevant to note that Jess and Cody really wound everyone up leading to that mess. If I was Jason that would have set me off. Jason is more chill than that but a number of people were bothered by that and it contributed to all the anger and tension spinning in that house yesterday.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Whether or not they show that stuff with Jason's family being brought up this week will be the clear indicator as to whether or not Jody are being treated with kid gloves in the edit room.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think they can still show how Jess went after Raven over nothing and was how Jody was lying to Jason, Alex, and Raven all throughout that to show them as the cause of all the anger.

I also think they should show Paul trying to orchestrate and stoke it and that it got out of control and mob like.

I'm torn on whether they should include the thing about Jason's wife. I think it was a meaningful part of the anger that led to the mob but I also wonder if its necessary enough to the narrative to be worth dragging Jason's wife into the TV show. It was lovely that Jess did that but it feels another level of lovely for BB to do it. I don't know. I'm torn on the importance of telling the full story and the importance of protecting a non-player.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...
There's just no way 10 people can go after 2 people regardless of what happened in the past and look like they're in the right. It made for entertaining feeds, but it was horrible gameplay and caused sympathy for Jessica/Cody to go up incredibly.

The TV edit has been pretty sympathetic towards Jessica and Cody so I expect more of that this week.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I doubt the Jason's wife thing will come up simply because there's too much other stuff that isn't as touchy that is worth airing.

A lot of the problem this season with translating the Jody villainy to the episodes is that so much of it doesn't translate well to television. Not withstanding the tranny stuff that they never show, a lot of what made them hated was them completely isolating themselves from everyone for an entire week and just talking about how great and smart they are in the HOH room. You might be able to air a few seconds of that on TV, but the persistence of it was a big reason why they became so hated to feedsters.

They just separate themselves and then repeat the same nauseating poo poo over and over again and that's not something that's going to play well in the episodes.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah. Jody just spent a month acting superior to everyone and talking down to them, insisting their poo poo doesn't stink, making it clear they had no use for them, and insulting them. You can show specific incidents and fights like the Josh stuff or moments like Cody walking out on Christmas' injury but you can't really represent the steady atmosphere and hostility that developed.

I think the show's done a solid job showing that Cody is a loving rear end in a top hat and a little less of a good job showing Jessica for who she is. But any way you slice it many people are going to not care that Jody called Josh a sexual predator repeatedly, that they called Alex a man, that they mocked Christmas' life changing injury, that they dragged Jason's family into it, and every other vile thing they did even if they knew. They'll see 10 people lose control of themselves in anger while 2 people retreat and feel sympathy. Even if every one of those 10 people have been wronged by those 2 for a month.

Yesterday was a bad day.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Aug 1, 2017

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Holy crap the last few pages of updates

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
No BBOTT this fall, though it might come back some other season:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/cbs-all-access-adds-will-ferrell-comedy-two-dramas-series-slate-1026016

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

Good. I don't know when the best time to do something like OTT would be, but right after BB Proper seems way too soon to me.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Muddy Burphy posted:

Good. I don't know when the best time to do something like OTT would be, but right after BB Proper seems way too soon to me.

Jan-Mar seems like perfect BB time. I can barely keep up with BB in the summer since I'm so busy, but in the dead of winter I'd probably watch a lot more.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Mid-season is the only thing that makes sense for OTT. It was weird that they started the first one so soon after normal BB, but I guess they were trying to ride the FALL SEASON hype (which is dumb because it's an online only show that doesn't even follow a proper schedule.)

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, why would you even want to throw your weird online-only show on during the Fall Season startup? The more logical move is to throw it out there during the winter break when people are looking for something to watch.

My guess is that they just wanted to extend those people like me who subscribe to All Access for the feeds and get them to keep subscribing with the hopes they get hooked. But the All Access really doesn't seem to have a lot to offer beyond binging old seasons of BB, Survivor, and Amazing Race.

I'm not too critical of OTT because it was obviously an experiment. If they put OTT2 on when there's less TV and poo poo to distract (which is a big part of why I didn't watch) then they're learning. I might be ready for some more BB by then and have less holidays/sports/tv/whatever distracting me.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, why would you even want to throw your weird online-only show on during the Fall Season startup? The more logical move is to throw it out there during the winter break when people are looking for something to watch.

My guess is that they just wanted to extend those people like me who subscribe to All Access for the feeds and get them to keep subscribing with the hopes they get hooked. But the All Access really doesn't seem to have a lot to offer beyond binging old seasons of BB, Survivor, and Amazing Race.

I'm not too critical of OTT because it was obviously an experiment. If they put OTT2 on when there's less TV and poo poo to distract (which is a big part of why I didn't watch) then they're learning. I might be ready for some more BB by then and have less holidays/sports/tv/whatever distracting me.

Yeah. All Access had some delays with new content last year, and I feel like OTT was kind of filler since it was the first big year for the platform and they had poo poo to show for it. I feel like the original plan was to use OTT to drag BB fans into the fall season where they would discover other exclusive stuff, but Star Trek got delayed a year, which was supposed to be the other big tent pole so the first year was kind of a wash.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
West coast aside, I do use all access to live watch when I can't find Survivor streams and can actually be arsed with the big brother television program for a change. The only other live broadcast stuff I even have handy acesss to is baseball.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Amazing Race isn't even on All Access anymore. It's all on Hulu

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
Kevin starts telling (what looks to be) a very entertaining story about his neighbor, and I'm sure they have to cut away for legal reasons but they put all four feeds on Cody spooning with Jess. :fuckoff: show me literally anything else. Show me Matt pondering his cereal. Show me the goddamn swans in the pool.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

At this stage the feeds are just Jody being smug or trying to start their family or Paul going on and on and on with his bullshit. Sometimes there's a break for the rest of the house to debate whether or not they were bullies the other day and how it came off.

There's no point in turning on the feeds until after HOH. Especially since I think everyone is shamed/scared enough by Monday to not want another blowup.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

At this stage the feeds are just Jody being smug or trying to start their family or Paul going on and on and on with his bullshit. Sometimes there's a break for the rest of the house to debate whether or not they were bullies the other day and how it came off.

There's no point in turning on the feeds until after HOH. Especially since I think everyone is shamed/scared enough by Monday to not want another blowup.

I don't mind if they're just goofing around and telling stories, it doesn't need to be all game talk. Also they are planning another round of mobsters tonight after the show airs, so there's that.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I'd be surprised if they didn't do a DE tomorrow

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'd be surprised. No hype for it ahead of time and just planning to do a DE when the Hex gets played is way too complicated a process. Like, what would have happened if Jessica had decided last minute two weeks ago to play it because she got scared of going home? Its just a messy deal.

It seems easier to just have some kind of packaged segment to fill the time on Thursday's show or have a HOH they can stretch out a little and then maybe a DE for next week or the week after when they knew the Hex would have expired. 2 weeks from now is my guess since that's also the end of the Temptation Competition.

But what do I know?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

HOHs have a big minigolf setup to practice on. So that's our HOH this week.

Cue feedsters claiming that since it wasn't some kind of weightlifting comp its rigged against Cody or something.

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

I wasn't a big fan of Xmas when the season started, but she's done something to her hair, and maybe the lack of working out has made her appearance a bit softer, but she's been looking :captainpop: to me lately.

Just a garbage post to fill in the pre-eviction doldrums.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It took me awhile to figure out who Christmas reminded me of and someone eventually made me realize it was Ashley Judd.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

sportsgenius86 posted:

I'd be surprised if they didn't do a DE tomorrow

It seems they have a poo poo ton of content this week and there has been no tease of a DE this week, I think there is no way they would do it now. Maybe once the hex is out of play they would do it. But it's kind of a big gently caress you to the person with the hex, play the hex, oh surprise tonight is a double eviction! You still get to go home tonight!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Matt goes up for his practice swings...

Paul: Hey, Matt, you don't have to throw this one. We're just practicing.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Aug 3, 2017

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Jess complaining to Cody that this is a "chance" HOH and her "heart" and "strength" doesn't matter. Says going home is more real now. Cody agrees it "blows." Cody was hoping for endurance. Jess says comps like this prove nothing. Jess complaining that Paul didn't deserve his first HOH because he had already played it before (he didn't, he hosted it in OTT). Jess says that they've put more blood, sweat, and tears in than anyone. Now she's convinced that they're going to lose, be Have Nots, and that will be the end of their story (you could still win Temptation/POV). Cody says it will be alright and they'll go out loving each other. Jess says they've fought so hard and they deserve Jury more than anyone. Jess doesn't agree with "how this game is enfolding." Cody says they've already won.

Jess: Nothing was ever handed to us.
Said 24 hours before being saved by the Hex.

Matt tells Raven and Christmas that if they see him talking to Elena to leave them alone. He says he almost had her where he wants her earlier but Paul interrupted. I was watching that conversation and it didn't really seem to be going anywhere. But hey, Matt's playing.

The majority are assembled in HOH and going over some general strategy and stuff. They know the real one will be more complicated and probably have number scores so they just have to score better than them. Paul thinks the Temptation might hurt Jody in some way? He's just being a know it all because Jody looked down. Oh, he's talking about when they had this in OTT and Alex had "Beer Goggles" and thinks they may have something like that. Paul says he's doing pots and pans tonight. Christmas thinks its some complicated math equation. Josh thinks its just 1-30, highest score wins. Christmas jumps down his throat not to tell them that. Christmas is off the pain meds and very snappy lately. Oh, she was suggesting the silly scenario as something to lie to Mark and Elena about.

Alex tells Jason and Kevin not tell Mark and Elena anything about the comp. Then she basically lays out how the comp will probably work.

Mark and Elena join and Paul pitches taking another shot at convincing Jess not to use the Hex since her odds are down of winning with a chance HOH. Matt says they're playing with no downside now so they might as well take a shot at it. Christmas saying that Cody cares more about Jessica since they plan to target her next week if she uses the Hex. Matt says their only chance of staying together for the summer is to survive next week and make jury together. Raven then re-explains that in more detail and with a thick accent. Paul doesn't care and wants to appeal to them to give the better player the best chance to move forward. You tried that, Paul. It didn't work. Matt keeps trying to interject reason and Paul won't give in. Matt says if Jessica though there was even a 5% chance of her winning the game she wouldn't use the Hex, but she doesn't so its all about staying with Cody for the summer. Elena points out even if they lose HOH they have shots at POV and Temptation. Paul asks if everyone is down for playing in the Safety comp to push the odds. Christmas points out she can't or she'd probably lose. Christmas throws out her screwy "point deductions" fake theory to Mark and Elena. Mark thinks that makes sense. Paul again insists that the word "Hex" means there must be a catch to using it and Jody will have some disadvantage. That makes no sense and Paul doesn't know what the word "hex" means. Paul thinks its meaningful that he was told to practice too.

For what its worth despite shooting down the idea of a DE tomorrow the fact that Paul had to practice for this could mean its the POV. But I also think it could mean anything.

Ok, I'm tired of hearing Paul's voice. I have it my best.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I'm wondering if the Hex works a bit like the Coup d'Etat from a few seasons ago, where the HoH who is getting their week canceled still gets to play in the next HoH comp as a consolation.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Allison Grodner confirmed in an interview that Paul won't get to play in the next HOH.

That could change, I guess, but it seems like its just a cancelled eviction and not any kind of Rewind or Coup or anything that would get Paul back in.

If I'm going to attempt logic the Coup would have let the HOH play becuase a new set of noms were put up so it was almost like a new HOH. Paul's just getting his cancelled but Jess doesn't get to put up anyone new.

But why am I trying to apply some logical, consistent, standard to Big Brother rules? It will be whatever they think makes the best TV. And they're not great at that.

Bloops Crusts
Aug 14, 2016
They always give Jes and Cody such a nice edit.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Wouldn't the smart move be to send Jess home with the hex and keep Cody?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Tide posted:

Wouldn't the smart move be to send Jess home with the hex and keep Cody?

Probably, but Cody is a legit threat in almost any comp and he's also a way bigger pain in the rear end to live with. So getting rid of him makes sense on a couple of levels.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Bloops Crusts posted:

They always give Jes and Cody such a nice edit.

They definitely tried to play some sympathy into Cody's behavior, which is easy when you aren't showing the worst of it by a long shot.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

As much as I hate Jess and Cody I don't really blame the edit. Like, I was rolling my eyes at the romance stuff but I know there's a big show audience for that stuff and it was genuinely part of the narrative. It probably didn't need the sappy music but its BB, and I know that. Still, I'm sure this is going to produce a bunch of people who don't care that Cody was a hothead who lost his poo poo over nothing or that Mark looked like he was going to hit Josh with a pan and just be all "awww... the couple who have known each other for 40 days are fighting because they're incompatible."

Now if tomorrow they give us Jess' "he was in the war, you can't judge him!" bs and skip the parts where she snapped on people and lied before they all lost their minds and went all pitchfork and torches on them. Then maybe I'll criticize the edit.

But I guess now we know what they're going to fill tomorrow's show with. Half way through that episode I was sitting there wondering if they were going to cut the entire second Jody fight because they just didn't have the room. I kind wanted them to just ditch the POV since it doesn't matter anyway.

Edit: Now something I will criticize about the edit? Mark's thing. All he gets is one thing saying "I was bullied and it hurts" with no mention of how he's bullied Josh or, I don't know, how he drat near swung a pan at Josh's head and had to be pulled away from him and went around the house having to give apologies after being given a talking to by production?

And just for that I'm going to be mean and share this thing I found.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Aug 3, 2017

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009
That gif is fantastic.

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR
I'm so annoyed at people acting like Josh is a monster and an actual bully.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

violetdragon posted:

He's a grown man who takes literal marching orders from someone who's a foot shorter than him. Fuckin Pinky and the Brain poo poo. It would be a much better look if he was a bully.

It's disappointing with people like him, Christmas and Alex because they could have been much better HGs if it wasn't the Summer of Paul and the Eternal Quest to Evict Cody. Maybe they'll suck less if/when things re-shuffle again

Fat Lowtax fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Aug 3, 2017

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003

violetdragon posted:

He may not be a buly but he he is an absolute shitstain of a human being. Most of us learned as little children that you can not point the finger at someone else and say "They started it" as justification for bad behavior. People do stupid lovely things because they are stupid lovely people, this applies to Cody, Mark, and Josh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

If this plan to bounce Jess tomorrow works it's going to be the funniest thing. She thinks she is some master player and her sitting next to Julie with an unused hex is a delicious self own, not to mention the third time she is blindsided.

• Locked thread