Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
If you're a sanma enjoyer you may want to wait until Mahjong Soul has fixed its epic new bugs:
https://twitter.com/zaki_tuber/status/1706950364988387409
https://twitter.com/suiyueqianhua/status/1706948842393076106
If you can't read it, Big/Little Three Dragons and Thirteen Orphans have disappeared from the scoring system and are just being scored as regular hands; apparently Thirteen Orphans is just All Terminals and Honours :lmao:

Can Of Worms fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Sep 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

holy lol

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Just a nice little chanta

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Lmao at 2 han 13 orphans

I would have been so confused and trying to figure out what obscure ancient numberwang rear end rule I'd broken

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

They fixed it already (got a pop-up logging in) but that's hilarious.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

It's not just all terminals and honors, it's 25 fu all terminals and honors. So 13 orphans must pull code from seven pairs.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

hell, free purple gift bag so keep at it CatFood Inc!

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Sometimes in this game you execute skillful play to develop your hand into a strong winning combination.

Sometimes, of course, this just happens too:

But also lol at guy who watched me pon three sets of winds going "yeah I'll just throw this South out there what could possibly go wrong?"

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

lmao

I say through the tears of having thrown into a Big Three Dragons just because I was curious of course

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I had this one earlier. No matter how fast me or the other player were, East just had a faster hand, and every goddamn one of them was 10K+ points.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Mode 7 posted:

But also lol at guy who watched me pon three sets of winds going "yeah I'll just throw this South out there what could possibly go wrong?"

the odds on that are so low you just gotta go for it, if the dude gots it godspeed

MrBlarney
Nov 8, 2009
Remember that Mahjong wait patterns infographic I posted here earlier this year? Well, I ended up expanding it into a multi-chapter guide: Reading Multi-Sided Waits.

The main objective of the guide is to demystify why multi-sided waits occur and how to read them. There's not much in there on how you actually build towards a multi-sided wait, or when it's a good idea. Most of the development time was in the second half of the book, on iishanten hand reading, which ended up being a surprisingly complex complication. But I think I've managed to tie things together well enough that I'm willing to start sharing it out for others to look over.

If you have the chance to read through it and have feedback or comments, please let me know. I'm planning on posting it to a wider audience (Reddit) eventually, or even soon, so if there's some significant thing I've overlooked in my analysis and writing, better for me to learn about it here rather than while its in the broader wilds of the internet.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
I read Chapters 1–2. Great so far.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

I think I need to finish Riichi Book 1 first. And really need to improve my defense

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

MrBlarney posted:

Remember that Mahjong wait patterns infographic I posted here earlier this year? Well, I ended up expanding it into a multi-chapter guide: Reading Multi-Sided Waits.

The main objective of the guide is to demystify why multi-sided waits occur and how to read them. There's not much in there on how you actually build towards a multi-sided wait, or when it's a good idea. Most of the development time was in the second half of the book, on iishanten hand reading, which ended up being a surprisingly complex complication. But I think I've managed to tie things together well enough that I'm willing to start sharing it out for others to look over.

If you have the chance to read through it and have feedback or comments, please let me know. I'm planning on posting it to a wider audience (Reddit) eventually, or even soon, so if there's some significant thing I've overlooked in my analysis and writing, better for me to learn about it here rather than while its in the broader wilds of the internet.

Hell yes, thank you for writing and sharing this.

Bilirubin posted:

I think I need to finish Riichi Book 1 first. And really need to improve my defense

Big same. I don't fold anywhere near as much as I should.

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

That was a good kan

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

MrBlarney posted:

Request: page numbers.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Everyone should read riichi book 1 first. It'll save you a lot time and trouble

https://dainachiba.github.io/RiichiBooks/index.html

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Man, I wish I could bottle the flow from the last game

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

And there is something very satisfying to go from back to the wall, 900 points to placing second in a 4 man South game

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Bilirubin posted:

And there is something very satisfying to go from back to the wall, 900 points to placing second in a 4 man South game

I saw someone manage that the other day and I was legit cheering for them, it was inspiring.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Bilirubin posted:

I once managed to come back from zero points to second place. It was a wild journey.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Relyssa posted:

I once managed to come back from zero points to second place. It was a wild journey.

That's nuts landing at exactly zero

Was the only one star among three three star Experts in a match. Managed to win it and almost knock two into negative digits (one ended with only 600 points)

I don't want to get cocky because Gold room has its up and downs of variance, but I think I am starting to better figure out how to play it. Lurk in the weeds, fold poo poo hands without regret. Occasionally you will get tsumoed to death just roll with it.

But man, do people rage quit at this level a lot

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
i'm at my most successful in this game when i play like a nasty little goblin

Hraathgar
Jan 21, 2016

SixteenShells posted:

i'm at my most successful in this game when i play like a nasty little goblin

:same:

Reject your humanity and face the Mahjong

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Mahjong goddess has been very kind this hanchan:

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

been kinda struggling to hit expert 2 lately, kept hovering real close then getting pushed back but i got this monster handed to me to secure the promotion

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

:toot:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

hoping to join you shortly

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
drat, nice

MrBlarney
Nov 8, 2009
This past weekend, I participated in my first larger-scale tournament, the PML Open in the San Francisco Bay Area, to mixed results. Placement wise, my record over my nine games was 2-3-1-3, but I also got a chombo penalty on a noten riichi that punished me pretty hard. There were definitely some tournament nerves throughout the two-day event and I could certainly work on my mental stamina. But hey, it was fun overall so it was worth the attempt.

I've also just version up'd my Reading Multi-Sided Waits guide. Content-wise, there are more examples in Chapter 3 and 4 to make them more comprehensive in content and to try and smooth out the complexity curve. The final section, on choosing a tile to discard when taking tenpai, could probably make use of additional examples, but I think it's good enough for now. Oh, and I also added page numbers. I was thinking that looking at page numbers in whatever PDF reader you open the guide up in would be good enough, but it makes sense to just have the actual pages be numbered for convenience.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

MrBlarney posted:

This past weekend, I participated in my first larger-scale tournament, the PML Open in the San Francisco Bay Area, to mixed results. Placement wise, my record over my nine games was 2-3-1-3, but I also got a chombo penalty on a noten riichi that punished me pretty hard. There were definitely some tournament nerves throughout the two-day event and I could certainly work on my mental stamina. But hey, it was fun overall so it was worth the attempt.

I've also just version up'd my Reading Multi-Sided Waits guide. Content-wise, there are more examples in Chapter 3 and 4 to make them more comprehensive in content and to try and smooth out the complexity curve. The final section, on choosing a tile to discard when taking tenpai, could probably make use of additional examples, but I think it's good enough for now. Oh, and I also added page numbers. I was thinking that looking at page numbers in whatever PDF reader you open the guide up in would be good enough, but it makes sense to just have the actual pages be numbered for convenience.

Thanks! I will get into it once a few other nearly finished books are done

ALso congrats on your tourney effort. I think I rely a bit too much on the computer working out waits a bit too much

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Bilirubin posted:

I think I rely a bit too much on the computer working out waits a bit too much

same. the "chinitsu challenge" mode that Riichi City has right now has been making that abundantly clear.

Hraathgar
Jan 21, 2016
As an occasional tournament player I found this video on complex shapes very helpful. Helped me to earn many points.

https://youtu.be/deszx2MG238?si=pKZ16rnk70rDkI9N

If you can't watch, the challenge at the end is fun

What do you discard and what are your waits?

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
For the second row you discard 3 pin and your wait is a pair wait on 5 sou so that you don't accidentally furiten and pay a chombo :colbert:

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
furiten riichi just guarantees a tsumo yaku. it's the true connoisseur's wait

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

Somehow managed to get double ron'd on a discarded dragon tile, like come on man

Apparently it was the best discard

Devonaut fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Oct 14, 2023

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Don't drink and jong, folks.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Can Of Worms posted:

Spent a year going up and down in master/expert but I'm finally here :toot:

Can't believe it took exactly one year but I'm now saint 2 :toot: I learned a ton during that time so hopefully the rest of the climb won't take so long, even though I still have to improve my discipline with push/fold more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Always happy to hear what you learned, as I am still pushing way too much and have a really high call rate