Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Why is it that pubbies just loving hate emergent gameplay poo poo like that? I realize that it's basically goons being silly and loving with people, but if two of the factions actually teamed up to fight the odd man out, that's actually cool and fun and why do people hate that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

SpookyLizard posted:

Why is it that pubbies just loving hate emergent gameplay poo poo like that? I realize that it's basically goons being silly and loving with people, but if two of the factions actually teamed up to fight the odd man out, that's actually cool and fun and why do people hate that?

Because "oh no people aren't playing the way I want then to :qq:"

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
They hate it because it's not how they want you to play. They don't see it as a challenge or a valid tactic, they see it as a denied win.

There's also the whole thing where people just can't stand not playing a game in the most obvious, straight-forward way.

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

Enallyniv posted:

There's also the whole thing where people just can't stand not playing a game in the most obvious, straight-forward way.

Holy poo poo, this. I remember playing garrysmod online, the source mod that lets people build things out of props and stuff from halflife 2. You could make drivable tanks, airplanes, rockets, and all kinds of goofy poo poo. Here's a picture of a self propelled bathtub.

Despite all this potential for awesome creations, like 90% of the people would just sit in a corner of the map tediously building a lovely catapult to throw watermelons, or attaching thrusters to the default Halflife 2 jeep and then just drive around the map at 500 miles per hour.

They would get so INCREDIBLY angry if you ever did anything to interrupt them. Like I'd actually build a drivable scud launcher, and I'd park off in the distance and launch horribly inaccurate explosive-barrel missiles at them while shouting something stupid like "Alluh Akbar". Instead of building a shield to block my shots or making their own tank to come fight me or something cool, they'd always either complain to an admin, try to votekick me, or just fly over and shoot me with a pistol. It was always funnier if player damage was disabled, so they couldn't actually shoot me, and I could just ram my giant killdozer into their carefully made Alex Vance sex dungeon or whatever with impunity.

People would just lose their poo poo over the fact that I had spent time building some murder machine, and was now using it to ruin their precious alone time, and instead of going with the improv rule of "say yes" and playing with me in a game literally focused around building cool poo poo, they'd just quit or bitch nonstop until an admin stepped in.

Also fun: attaching a huge magnetized wrecking ball to a helicopter, then flying over people's vehicles and contraptions. The wrecking ball would break most of their stuff, and then pick up anything metal (like a jeep with a player in it, for example). So then I could just fly around as they scream at me to let them go, as I swing them into buildings and cliffs, giggling like a loving idiot the entire time. I considered it a slam dunk if I was able to crash land my helicopter (which was rigged with easily ruptured explosive barrels) back into the person, dragging their shittily made jeep down in the explosion with me.

That game was so much fun, but the community was just so god awfully whiny that it made having any actual fun contraption wars pretty much an impossibility.

Slappy Moose fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Sep 4, 2013

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Giggily posted:

The most amazing pubbie butthurt of this year

I love when they start to lose even slightly after enjoying victories for a while that they get really upset over something different happening in the game. Just like in real life, you can't expect to coast through on the same thing forever. The parts about it being a "fight club" scenario and leading to exploits (which we all know are possible regardless) were comedy gold.

wuat
Jul 12, 2009
Stgggs has finally released a new video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uczi8s2904A
after all this time people still get so mad at him.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
^^^ Aaaaand now I want to play TTT again. I know I shouldn't, but that Homestuck video [and the latter throwing bodies off roofs] was amazing.

Slappy Moose posted:

That game was so much fun, but the community was just so god awfully whiny that it made having any actual fun contraption wars pretty much an impossibility.

For real. Gary's Mod is such a great idea, totally ruined by its community. I've had a lot of fun unintentionally trolling people just by playing the game and building amusing poo poo. Admins of some of the servers have just freaked the absolute gently caress out that I wasn't just being some boring civilian doing whatever the poo poo civilians "should" do in their RPG fantasyland, and instead I secured myself a building in the boonies of the map and set to work constructing random traps to defend my homestead with.

[securing, as in, walling up the doors/windows with sheet metal, and locking the main entrance door, which apparently was a huge no-no]

Code Jockey fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Sep 4, 2013

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Slime posted:

A lot of people became pirates because being a legit sailor was such a raw, lovely deal that got you treated like crap. And really, if you were on a military vessel you'd probably still be murdering and pillaging anyway. You'd just be murdering and pillaging different people.

Not true. Sailors were on the whole healthier, made more money and ate considerably better than landsmen. Able seamen during the Napoleonic era could command a huge salary (for the time) signing on with John Company ships that were chronically shorthanded of able seamen because of the war.

The rum, sodomy and the lash understanding we have of the age of fighting sail is not really a fully accurate view. Yes, compared to how we live now, things would have been terrible. But when you compare a sailors lot to that of some urban peasant, there's no doubt things were better for the sailors.

Anyone know any good griefs for Diablo 3?

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Sep 4, 2013

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Actually sailors were on the whole healthier, made a good deal more money and ate considerably better than landsmen. Able seamen during the Napoleonic era could command a huge salary (for the time) signing on with East India Company ships that were chronically shorthanded of able seamen because of the war.

The rum, sodomy and the lash understanding we have of the age of fighting sail is not really a fully accurate view. Yes, compared to how we live now, things would have been terrible. But when you compare a sailors lot to that of some poor country peasant, there's no doubt things were better for the sailors.

If they are playing a class that wants monsters to stay close together and get hit by aoe, you can use spells with knockback to split them apart. There's a wizard teleport rune which pushes back all monsters wherever you land, and they have another skill which does it directly, so if you use the cooldown reduction on crit passive you can use that a lot. (This is another one of those playing the game is griefing yourself deals though, go play eastern sun if you want fun Diablo.)

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Lunethex posted:

I love when they start to lose even slightly after enjoying victories for a while that they get really upset over something different happening in the game. Just like in real life, you can't expect to coast through on the same thing forever. The parts about it being a "fight club" scenario and leading to exploits (which we all know are possible regardless) were comedy gold.

The thing is, we only actually got together and worked against them one time, despite the fact that some of them claimed (and continue to do so) that we had been teaming up on them for months at that point.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
So, since there's more of this making GBS threads up the thread - it is kosher to talk about griefing people in games. It is not kosher to brag about griefing forums. Yes, that means you can not grief people talking about game that aren't released yet. Deal with it.

Griefing other forums amounts to you using this thread as a platform for invasions. Extremely not cool. Griefing other forums on SA amounts to either helldumping (:getout:) or gamers.txt (and we already have a thread for that).

Thanks. Further forum invasion-esque bullshit will be dealt with harshly. Please report it if you see it in here.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
So if we grief someone in game, have their tears and rage... what if someone starts crying on the forums afterwords without our input? Does that go here or in the gamers.txt thread? Since we're not having a hand in the forums rage, I mean.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Giggily posted:

The thing is, we only actually got together and worked against them one time, despite the fact that some of them claimed (and continue to do so) that we had been teaming up on them for months at that point.

I also like the transformation from the event of "Curbstomping ATRA" to "ATRA curbstomping TR," which is almost as good as a claim that amounts to "fighting takes all the fun out of ghostcapping."

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Tulip posted:

I also like the transformation from the event of "Curbstomping ATRA" to "ATRA curbstomping TR," which is almost as good as a claim that amounts to "fighting takes all the fun out of ghostcapping."

I think most of them had been burned because for the last few nights VS and NC had been taking turns warpgating them. Their problem was largely that once the racists all had their bedtime there was hardly anyone left on TR, so they were either rolling everyone or getting eaten alive by the other two factions, hence the conflicting reports.

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010

My favorite part is the guy saying it it wouldn't be cannon.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

NASCAR griefs tickle me in all the right places. Just watching these cars fly all over the place is the best thing. The added commentary of people getting upset over it also greatly helps :D

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

I'm watching the last one and each time they seem surprised when he does it

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch
Why is half of that video a loading screen?

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

According to the guys talking in one of the videos you get tossed to loading for screwing up the game

Anyway for some super mild content in cs:go for those of you are unaware there are maps called aim maps. In normal game modes when you die you are dead but on aim maps you respawn and get to keep on shooting and there is no objective other than to improve you aim. Anyway I went on to a sniper only aimmap and you know what snipers are like, anything to camp a spawn or sit staring at a corner until someone comes around it. Weirdly the server had secondary weapons enabled, I think the owner figured people would go desert eagle only. Anyway I decided to go pistol only and in particular fast firing pistols and since the map had a fort like structure it was fairly easy to get the jump on proelite headshot only players a lot. After about 10 minutes the bitching in chat was unending and after about 20 they for the most part sullenly went pistol as well but that 20 minutes was glorious, I don't think I've ever been called scrub so often.

Goofballs fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Sep 5, 2013

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?

Drakenel posted:

So if we grief someone in game, have their tears and rage... what if someone starts crying on the forums afterwords without our input? Does that go here or in the gamers.txt thread? Since we're not having a hand in the forums rage, I mean.

I think that counts as grief tears and would go here. It's just what causes said tears that matters.

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

There's not a lot you can do in softcore since pretty much everything there is meaningless. People get a bit mad about others leeching XP in high MP games, and you can do dumb poo poo like dropping known crap legendaries in the middle of fights to get people's hopes up when they see the legendary beam of light, but nothing outside of old-fashioned trading scams is going to cause any actual rage.

Hardcore is a bit different though because of perma-death. In hardcore a death means you lose your character and all of their gear permanently. You can't kill other players directly in hardcore but there's still a few ways to get people killed and ruin all of their progress. Most of these have been patched out but here's a quick run-down of some of them:

1. Back in older versions when the bridge north out of terinyo was still open you could lure the entire contents of The Weeping Hollow (a large outside zone full of monsters) into town directly onto the player spawn point. Then you could go hide in one of the buildings, open your game to the public and wait for people to join and be killed immediately by the swarm of monsters. This would happen quick enough that most people didn't even have control of their character before they died, they'd exit the loading screen to find they were already dead. Blizzard eventually put a portal on this entrance to terinyo so you can't do this anymore.

2. To prevent you from being able to use quitting as a means of escaping death in the middle of a fight, blizzard implemented a timer that forced you to stand still for 10 seconds if you try quitting the game while outside of town. This 10 second timer also applies to people who are vote-kicked though, so you and a couple of your friends could start a game, open it up to the public until you find some poor sap, lure a few champion packs over and then immediately vote-kick them, leaving them helpless and probably dead before the timer expired.

3. The brawling arena was diablo 3's terribly weak attempt at PvP. It's a small map with no rules where you could attack and kill other players. Perma-death is disabled here for hardcore, but if you hit someone with a big damage-over-time effect like the barbarian's rend just as they were leaving the arena and they died outside of the arena then it was permanent.

4. There's a feature called monster power (MP) which is basically a difficulty slider which gives you XP/loot bonuses if you set it high. On MP0 the game is a cakewalk but if you crank it to MP10 even the trash monsters have absurd amounts of hitpoints (like, 30x the amount they would have on MP0) and hit like trucks. While the exit from terinyo to the weeping hollow was closed in an earlier patch, the exit that leads to the newbie zone full of low level zombies was still open so you could set monster power to 10 and lure a bunch of insanely powerful zombies to the player spawn location and wait for someone to join. No player in their right mind is going to join a random public MP10 game in hardcore, it's just far too dangerous, but if you specifically invite a person to your game the invite pop-up doesn't tell you what MP the game is set to. This means you could join a series of public games to get a bunch of people in your recent players list, create a new MP10 game and fill terinyo with uber-zombies, then invite people until one of them joins and gets immediately killed. Last I heard this one still works, I haven't paid attention for a couple of months though so I might be wrong.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

I think this is some sort of meta-art. Something about griefing people in a NASCAR game just makes it seem like it should be part of some installation.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

Noah posted:

Why is half of that video a loading screen?

Every time there's a wreck, the game has to put out a pace car to do a caution lap.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

I borrowed an earlier game in the seies from a friend once, for the Gamecube. I was surprised at the videos here, not because of the tears that were flowing so freely, but because everyone else wasn't joining in and making it into bumper cars.

Griefer here had the right idea, because even without the tears Nascar games are like 10x more fun as a crash simulator rather than a racing game. Honestly I think the other players were griefing themselves by playing the game straight.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

How does this even exist as an online multiplayer game? It looks like everyone just sticks to the outside of the track in a big ol' line, fender to bumper.

Why would you even play a NASCAR game if you never wanted there to be any crashes? :psyduck:

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Posted it in the gamers.txt thread, but I can't believe I forgot to put my friend's Tumblr here. He takes and accepts screenshots of some of the weird and awful things that get posted in DOTA 2 chat. Most relevant to the thread are Tappedon stealing people's items and nobody figuring it out, and this guy who has twice added him to have a super-long steam conversation about how terrible he is.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Lady Naga posted:

Posted it in the gamers.txt thread, but I can't believe I forgot to put my friend's Tumblr here. He takes and accepts screenshots of some of the weird and awful things that get posted in DOTA 2 chat. Most relevant to the thread are Tappedon stealing people's items and nobody figuring it out, and this guy who has twice added him to have a super-long steam conversation about how terrible he is.

The steam messages..... :psyduck:

Even when you could be unmutable in Source games people never flipped out that bad when you blared poo poo over the mic, they just kept playing and getting mad or quit. What is it really about DotA and LoL that brings out the insane in people? He even temp. changed his name just to emphasize the point.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat
Do we still have a goon TTT group? If only to see who else still occasionally hits it up because I need to tell people about Homestuck.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

I believe this was missed but these are NOT to be missed in my opinion.

Team GriefXpress modded their clients for space minecraft "Starmade" and proceed to utterly demolish the game for people. With what they can do I wish they did a bit more but it gets me all giddy inside when people break through the game parameters and deconstruct other people's creations right in front of them, while they own it, steal their items then destroy the spawn and other people with the things they steal from others impossibly.

Also Zelmarked has a new video, DUDE!!!!!!

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Sep 5, 2013

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
This is a very low effort grief, but how it ended gave me a smile.

Was playing on a TF2 2fort server full of people who generally make up the community (bronies, furries, redditors, /b/-tards, etc, all mentally between the ages of 11 and 16). Beforehand, I had the brilliant and original idea to make my spray a picture of a black guy having sex with an out of shape, middle-aged white guy. A while after spraying it, someone finally noticed it and preceded to flip his poo poo. He first asked if people are allowed to spray "gay poo poo" and asking "what the gently caress was wrong with me". Everyone else was originally on his side saying porn isn't allowed to be sprayed (unless it's furry women with massive dicks or a beckoning pony showing it's rear end and vagina), but that quickly changed when the guy started saying that I should "get my gay rear end off the server" and that "fagots shouldn't be allowed to play". This caused everyone to turn on him, telling him he's a dumbass, calling him a bigot, and even almost unanimously having him vote kicked. After being booted, the next minute or so was the server talking about how terrible players like him are and that people like him should really grow up.

Oh the times they are a-changing. :allears:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Lunethex posted:

What is it really about DotA and LoL that brings out the insane in people? He even temp. changed his name just to emphasize the point.

Highly competitive + necessary teamwork + complicated and not well-explained (without a lot of online research) mechanics.

Most of it stems from the fact that if your team is losing, it's far easier to pick someone else on your team to blame rather than admit you suck, though.

EDIT: \/ I'll never play MOBAs due to the community they attract (and that I find the gameplay boring)

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Sep 5, 2013

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Mokinokaro posted:

Highly competitive + necessary teamwork + complicated and not well-explained (without a lot of online research) mechanics.

Most of it stems from the fact that if your team is losing, it's far easier to pick someone else on your team to blame rather than admit you suck, though.

or that the game itself sucks, and you're a dumdum for playing it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Lunethex posted:

What is it really about DotA and LoL that brings out the insane in people? He even temp. changed his name just to emphasize the point.

Basically what everyone above me said, plus the fact that each game takes on average 40 minutes to an hour of your time even if you're losing really badly, especially in DOTA where you can't surrender. If someone on your team (or you) is loving up, you're stuck with it for a long time, losing with no out because you get punished for abandoning the game.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Glagha posted:

Basically what everyone above me said, plus the fact that each game takes on average 40 minutes to an hour of your time even if you're losing really badly, especially in DOTA where you can't surrender. If someone on your team (or you) is loving up, you're stuck with it for a long time, losing with no out because you get punished for abandoning the game.

Speaking of unfair punishments...

My favorite part is how the report reasons are insults or are just blank :lol:

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I'm fine with that. Don't be an rear end in a top hat and you won't get banned.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Thumbtacks posted:

I'm fine with that. Don't be an rear end in a top hat and you won't get banned.

Sorry did you stumble your way in from the My Little Pony Friendship Thread?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I don't mind griefing, but saying "easy" after a game really isn't griefing. There's nothing creative or funny about it, it's you being an rear end in a top hat. I'm not surprised everyone reported him for it, I would have to.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

There's this little gem I found a while ago where someone jumps in the AA gun on a Battlefield 3 map, proceeds to teamkill everyone trying to leave the team spawn area, and even gets a Medal + Promotion for his efforts.

In Uncharted 3, you can actually shoot your teammates in the head on co-op and, if they suicide/die as a result of this, it counts towards a medal you get for 5 headshot kills called the Head Cracker medal, worth a pretty good amount of money and goes towards your kickback in the game. Sadly you get kicked out if you kill the same person twice.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Lunethex posted:

Speaking of unfair punishments...

[really thin skinned kids]

My favorite part is how the report reasons are insults or are just blank :lol:

:allears: Who would even go through the effort of reporting someone for saying one word after a game

Thumbtacks posted:

I don't mind griefing, but saying "easy" after a game really isn't griefing. There's nothing creative or funny about it, it's you being an rear end in a top hat. I'm not surprised everyone reported him for it, I would have to.

Oh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The entire Tribunal system of LoL is a grief in and of itself.

• Locked thread