Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

but nooo im a retard babby pirate "who wants to play pc games but doesn't have a broadband connection" which is totally a real demographic

like complain about drm for the privacy, i can get broadband on my cellphone in loving mexico in 2018.

for a large portion of the year i live in the boonies where there is only cellphone internet. yeah sure I could connect my computer to the cell internet so that steam can unlock its DRM bullshit, but bandwidth over cell is extremely expensive. i can not trust windows 10 not to download gigabytes of bullshit in the background, there is literally no way for me to turn this windows 10 bullshit off!

that means i need to crack my (legitimately purchased) games so that i can play them offline. i would never buy a game that doesn't have a crack anyway. its not like steam is going to exist forever. at some point Valve is going to shut down those servers, and i want my games working for the rest of my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Most of rural america has worse internet access than many south/central american third world countries, and this often comes with absurd bandwidth caps that would pretty much preclude ever downloading a modern 100+ gig game

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Rutibex posted:

i would never buy a game that doesn't have a crack anyway. its not like steam is going to exist forever. at some point Valve is going to shut down those servers, and i want my games working for the rest of my life.

lol

If Valve ever shuts down their servers due to unforeseen nuclear apocalypse, playing Puyo Puyo Madness is still gonna be priority #1 for this here goon, right next to “survival”

In the words of Saddam, relax bitch

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

pooch516 posted:

Am I crazy or did people used to call anything over 10 hours a long game? I feel like only RPG games regularly hit the 20-hour mark. Now anything under 30 hours is considered a waste of money by the internet.

A game can be 6-8 hours and still be positively received if the campaign was a series of fun set pieces that most of the audience would play through again on harder difficulties (i.e. everything Platinum makes).

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

I will never play through a game more than once a decade

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

poverty goat posted:

It's easy to forget that just a few years ago if you wanted to play a game without going outside you'd have to forward ports on your router, download the game at 12k/s from demonoid, wait an hour while the rars unzip, wait another hour for the iso to unrar, and then cross your loving fingers that the 49th rar isn't corrupt and and the crack works and daemon tools can emulate the copy protection. Then your dad would get a DMCA letter threatening to sue you for $10k and you'd get grounded from using the PC anyway. Steam is a lot better

the demon named hamachi haunts me to this day

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

SpazmasterX posted:

A game can be 6-8 hours and still be positively received if the campaign was a series of fun set pieces that most of the audience would play through again on harder difficulties (i.e. everything Platinum makes).

Positively received, yes. Sell well, probably not. Vanquish was well received and was a great game but it sold terribly because of it's 6 hour length. And Platinum is kind of an exception because their games are pretty niche and have a built in fan base. I can't imagine they cost that much to make either so they can probably get away with lower sales. Selling a 10 hour game for $60 in 2018 would be a death sentence for the average publisher.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

just lol if you buy something on steam instead of gog when it's available on both

also, as with all things, Mega Man Legends did crafting the best - you just pick up whatever broken poo poo you find (why the hell is a broken vacuum cleaner fifty meters underground in a chest surrounded by robotic monstrosities, though?) and bring it to your sister who's like "eh, sure, if we tape these together i'm pretty sure we could make some kind of laser missile or something" and then glues it to your arm

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Steam has promised that everything copy protected via its service can be made restrictionless with the throw of a switch, and they also claim it's a system they've already tested.

Who really knows outside the company though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The last of Us actually had legit good crafting. You could do it in game without even using a menu and it actually felt meaningful because you were usually choosing between making a health item or a weapon and supplies were extremely limited.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

McGiggins posted:

Steam has promised that everything copy protected via its service can be made restrictionless with the throw of a switch, and they also claim it's a system they've already tested.

Backing up your steam library is actually quite doable. An 8tb external hard drive runs $150 and will back up thousands of dollars worth of steam games. Pack it up with a current steam emulator and you'll be able to play any game you want on your wood-burning pc after civilization collapses

That said, this is silly, because steam is printing money for the forseeable future and has promised to make you whole in time for doomsday if it comes to that

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Steam will outlive all of us

Unless someone starts cracking down on the money laundering via the marketplace, but gamers hate when there is government interference on their games so good luck!

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

Chomp8645 posted:

I'm curious what games you have in mind here. Because outside of like, EVE Online's moon mines or some poo poo, maintenance and upkeep is always a complete joke in almost every video game.

Mostly garbo like rust.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

poverty goat posted:

That said, this is silly, because steam is printing money for the forseeable future and has promised to make you whole in time for doomsday if it comes to that

McGiggins posted:

of course thats technically possible. but it would surely violate the agreements they have signed with dozens of publishers. they won't give a poo poo about renegotiating DRM rights in some nightmare scenario where they are going out of business. they will just shut down the servers and leave everyone hanging in the wind, just like the dozens of other online marketplaces that have shuttered and deactivated their DRM authentication.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
If you want to own video games forever (loving why) then just buy the disc and back it up or some poo poo

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Furia posted:

If you want to own video games forever (loving why) then just buy the disc and back it up or some poo poo

What disc lol

Everything activated online anyway

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Furia posted:

lol

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

dystopia.jpeg

B. Birdsworth
Jul 31, 2014

There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church, but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.
Revengeance was the best Metal Gear game, with the best / most absurd MG villain OAT.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Well, why would you want to own FO76 forever in the first place

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

steinrokkan posted:

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

This is why I buy on GOG if I have the choice. I must be prepared for the Gamepocalypse.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

veni veni veni posted:

The push towards extremely long games really just happened in the last 5 or 6 years and really ramped up in the last couple of years. AAA game promising less than 50 hours are almost extinct unless they have an anticipated multiplayer component.

don't be ridiculous, extremely long games were a huge selling point even in the ps1 era

that's why people bought persona 1

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

The White Dragon posted:

don't be ridiculous, extremely long games were a huge selling point even in the ps1 era

The template for extremely long games wasn't always so homogeneous.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah 8-12 hours used to be the a pretty normal length for a game.You pretty much have to look to smaller devs for shorter, more focused games anymore since you can't charge 60 bux for them. The push towards extremely long games really just happened in the last 5 or 6 years and really ramped up in the last couple of years. AAA game promising less than 50 hours are almost extinct unless they have an anticipated multiplayer component.

I'd much rather play a variety of short games than just sit there killing time in the same game for months. Like, I love Red Dead but I almost resent that it's taken up a full month of my life and counting. I could have played like 6 shorter games in that time.

I think rdr2's story is made far worse by the length too. It has the legs to be a feature-length movie, but it plays out over the length of a tv show, but padded with a lot of tangents and b-plots that don't flesh out chapters 1 and 6 much. By the end of the game I was sick of hearing about dutch's plans but needs money, micah being antagonizing, hosea being an old man, and the pinkertons right on their trail. The gta mission structure really draws everything out, and I feel like its really showing its age after 20 years.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The White Dragon posted:

I didn’t say it wasn’t. I’m saying that games being extremely long has only very recently become something that is practically a requirement.

It wasn’t abnormal for a AAA game to only have about 10 hours of content up until a few years ago. Almost all of those more traditional length games have moved on to incorporate open world stuff (God of War, Tomb Raider etc.) so they can sell a 50+ hour experience, because people won’t spend $60 for 8-12 hour games anymore.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

i remember when chrono cross came out the fact that it was long as gently caress was a selling point

game is mediocre but at least it'll keep you distracted for 80+ hours!

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

What I think I found most jarring about the PS1 and N64 wasn't the lack of polygons but the ugliness of most of the 2D graphics, all mushy and semitransparent with ugly fonts, nothing was ever crisp on the PS1.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

Imagine playing Fallout... during real Fallout.... fuken sweet...

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Shibawanko posted:

What I think I found most jarring about the PS1 and N64 wasn't the lack of polygons but the ugliness of most of the 2D graphics, all mushy and semitransparent with ugly fonts, nothing was ever crisp on the PS1.

Wipeout XL was pretty drat crisp.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

those games looked fine on a 480i television or whatever. The level of fidelity available was so low that you really couldn't spend a lot of time dissecting fine details because there weren't any lol

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Shibawanko posted:

PS1 was pretty crisp imo, it's the N64 and PS2 that were mushy soft focus crap. the PS2 was also somehow dim and dark, no idea what was the deal with that

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

but nooo im a retard babby pirate "who wants to play pc games but doesn't have a broadband connection" which is totally a real demographic

like complain about drm for the privacy, i can get broadband on my cellphone in loving mexico in this day and age.

I live on the edge inner city Melbourne, one of the largest cities in the world and 'most livable city in the world' for the past x years (didn't get it this year though HAH).

My only options for home internet access are dial-up or putting a 4G router in my house. And Australia has terrible 4G coverage and the greediest network contention levels you have ever seen. I am not some random who doesn't want broadband, I CAN'T. So this demographic is a real thing, not just snowflakes.

I can't get broadband because landowners in the area are buying old houses, knocking them down and putting 10+ units on the site. The network infrastructure in the area can't handle the rapid rise in demand and the telco's won't spend any money to upgrade their exchanges.

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Wipeout XL was pretty drat crisp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHMzCpy0fXc

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxB4eEIfpTI

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Racing games are boring, stupid games and I'll never play any of them. Other than Mario Kart.

Platformers are boring, stupid games and I'll never play any of them. Other than Mario.

Sports games are boring, stupid games and I'll never play any of them. Other than Mario Tennis/Golf.

Card games (Hearthstone, M:TG) are boring, stupid games and I'll never play any of them.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I hate card based digital games yeah. Cards are a huge turnoff

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Card games are the second biggest flag for lonely nerd virgin ive ever seen next to warhammer

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

jokes posted:

Racing games are boring, stupid games and I'll never play any of them. Other than Mario Kart.

Platformers are boring, stupid games and I'll never play any of them. Other than Mario.

Sports games are boring, stupid games and I'll never play any of them. Other than Mario Tennis/Golf.

Card games (Hearthstone, M:TG) are boring, stupid games and I'll never play any of them.

Waiting for the inevitable Mario TCG so you can eat those words

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

CrRoMa posted:

Card games are the second biggest flag for lonely nerd virgin ive ever seen next to warhammer

Nothing unpopular here?