Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

JeffersonClay posted:

:thunk:

FDR in 1923:

FDR in 1925

FDR in 1938

If "immigrants are good they help the economy" was a conservative argument in the 1930's (it really wasn't), then it's a good thing that democrats co opted it instead of making the same arguments they were making, so LBJ could pass https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigration_and_Nationality_Act_of_1965

Just because you worship historical political icons as part of your identity doesn't mean that we have to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
I'm not worshiping FDR Im saying his immigration policies sucked and it's good that democrats stopped espousing them, instead choosing to defend immigration on its economic and moral merits.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
JC had to time-travel 75+ years to find a progressive of note spouting outdated, bad racial stereotypes.

Hillary was raving about Super-Predators in the formative years of the lion's share of current voters.

Guess which one bothers him more.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
i was responding to a post suggesting "immigrants help the economy" is warmed over 1930's conservatism, learn to read crew

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

dont u dare loving quote me you filth

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

take incoming: stay off twitter. twitter is poison. twitter is the death of solidarity. twitter got us into this loving mess. politics cannot be conducted in 140 character increments.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Willie Tomg posted:

take incoming: stay off twitter. twitter is poison. twitter is the death of solidarity. twitter got us into this loving mess. politics cannot be conducted in 140 character increments.

Twitter is actually very good and has helped me realize working class solidarity because I follow a lot of people in the DSA. It's also good for sporps.

It's the worlds best RSS feed you just need to curate yours better.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
but that means i have to be on twitter, more :gonk:

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
twitter is good because it shows me the daily quota of nazis being punched every day

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Nosfereefer posted:

And when it doesn't we shouldn't? gently caress off, JC.

"Reduce immigration because it hurts wages" is literally the argument being pushed by so called leftists in this very thread, learn to read friend

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

JeffersonClay posted:

"Reduce immigration because it hurts wages" is literally the argument being pushed by so called leftists in this very thread, learn to read friend

The conversation is far more nuanced than that and the only value you bring to any forum is you are so evidently dishonest and amoral that you've swayed far more people to general agreement with my politics in D&D than I could've done alone.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

JeffersonClay posted:

I don't think leftists are saying that.

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

JeffersonClay posted:

It is the argument you wish was the consensus of the thread, when in reality he consensus is that labor standards should be universally raised so that immigrants don't become a means for businesses to advance their race to the bottom. Of course, you take issue with this proposal because you think that paying people more and improving labor standards increases COSTS! and we can't have that, so you just ignore it and strawman like hell.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

JeffersonClay posted:

Go to hell you racist piece of trash. I've followed this thread enough to know you'll defend slavery.

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Nosfereefer posted:

Go to hell you racist piece of trash. I've followed this thread enough to know you'll defend slavery.
And deporting child refugees to certain death gang warfare, don't forget that. Also his notorious scat fetish.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Sneakster posted:

And deporting child refugees to certain death gang warfare, don't forget that. Also his notorious scat fetish.

He also has that fetish about rats.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Willie Tomg posted:

You can, however, dox & tox people out of their jobs with Twitter as a coordination and identification aid, which is happening with photos of Nazis from the rally at pretty good scale right now. Lots of poor fucks are being identified and the contents of their private social media dumped like poop socks into the open air. One white supremacist has been confirmed to have already lost his job.

Filipino Freakout
Mar 20, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
The dems will lose in 2018 and beyond if the twittersphere is any indication of the fragmentation of the party. I want to say ignore it as fringe positions and echochamber effects but any element of irrational division is bad.

Three trends I'm seeing on Twitter in the past day that I'm pretty nervous about 1) doxxing people which oops turns out that's not the guy, hope no one burned his house down 2) advocating escalation of violence against people who are shitbags and though they deserve to be punched, feeds into their narrative and doesn't accomplish anything 3) centrists lashing out at phantom enemies on the "left" and focusing energy and attention in the complete opposite direction of where it should be applied.

The supposed opposition party is limp and by appearances rife with infighting, and the leadership seems determined to continue on the path to ruin, their mouthpieces are more interested in tearing down allies than working toward any definitive goal.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I don't think Twitter is representative if only because the type of people who are gonna use Twitter primarily for political posts are most likely the most extreme and politically active people on any given position on the political spectrum. Your average Americans are unlikely to be clued into the left/liberal divide or understanding of its nuances.

That doesn't mean it isn't significant, but I think that it's overrepresented as an issue compared to what your average voter likely gives a poo poo about. There was some good interviews, I can't remember if they were here or another thread, with people who voted Hillary in the primary, and they were like "yeah Bernie is cool, it's whatever man, I just hadn't heard of him."

That doesn't mean the left/liberal divide should be dismissed, but I don't think Twitter chains are evidence that all Democrats are now choosing a side in the apocalyptic ideological war or whatever.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Crowsbeak posted:

He also has that fetish about rats.

scat rats

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
So, people are now trying to get the Nazi march participants doxxed/fired via social media, and, while I approve in principal- wouldn't employers who fire them open themselves up to wrongful termination suits?

You know, "not discriminating based on race, creed, color", and all that?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Mister Facetious posted:

So, people are now trying to get the Nazi march participants doxxed/fired via social media, and, while I approve in principal- wouldn't employers who fire them open themselves up to wrongful termination suits?

You know, not discriminating based on race, creed, color, and all that?

i don't think nazi is a protected class

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Hello, it is disingenuous to pretend that arguments against immigration driven by literal plantation owners are arguments against immigration of all sorts. See: When people point out that produce rots in absence of immigrants, they mean produce rots because there are no below-average-wage immigrants to pick it. Immigrants need to be part of the same labour movement as born citizens, and they need to enjoy the same benefits. Basing agriculture on the existence of an illegal underclass that thoroughly distorts the labor market is a very liberal thing to do, since it only serves the owners / employers.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protected_class

Nazism doesn't count as a religion, I don't think?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Mister Facetious posted:

You know, "not discriminating based on race, creed, color", and all that?

They could argue that it creates a hostile work environment and opens them to potential lawsuits from minority employees who can't work with a Nazi.

I doubt it would have consequences for most of these fucks though, sadly.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

God forbid we actually look at the actual causes of these events and not just hand-wring and tweet for points. We're in this mess because of eight years of King Hussein more concerned about his legacy and "ReAcHiNg AcRoSs ThE aIsLe" while fueling a groundswell of white nationalism that he refused to acknowledge which took over the local governments, followed up by the Dems nominating a literal slaveowner to go against Trump, the one person who had no good counters to any of his points or flaws.

As far as I'm concerned, Hillary was driving that car in Charlottesville yesterday and Obama was riding shotgun. Her blood is on their hands.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

ChairMaster posted:

Look, I just don't want lawyers to figure out how they can make money for themselves and Nazis out of this.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

ChairMaster posted:

Part of its origins are in the Thule Society wacky cult crazies, but Thule became uncool by the time Hitler took power, and it's more of a footnote that has seen heavy mileage in Nazi comic book villainy.

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich

dont even fink about it posted:

Part of its origins are in the Thule Society wacky cult crazies, but Thule became uncool by the time Hitler took power, and it's more of a footnote that has seen heavy mileage in Nazi comic book villainy.
Thats the one! I was gonna mention the crazy rear end blood cult they had.

C. Everett Koop posted:

As far as I'm concerned, Hillary was driving that car in Charlottesville yesterday and Obama was riding shotgun. Her blood is on their hands.
What do you get out of this?

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Top notch reporting CNN:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Can employers discriminate based on political affiliation in America?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Mister Facetious posted:

Can employers discriminate based on political affiliation in America?

Absolutely yes. Your boss can say "I'm firing you because you're a Democrat/Republican/Independent/whatever" and there's nothing legally wrong with that.

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich

BadOptics posted:

Top notch reporting CNN:

:iiam:

I could have sworn there was some quote of Trump from years ago joking about destroying the federal government and wanting to see the chaos. This poo poo isn't accidental: he isn't coincidentally not decrying the fascist power plays and there's already a GOP republican candidate in Virginia using Reichstag fire before it even goes cold.

The police are going to give room for these people to do more and worse and any resistance to literal loving murder sprees will be used as excuse and exploited by GOP sympathies. As a nation we don't have an external enemy or any realistic avenue of reform to quell dissent from domestic terrorists facing existential demographic collapse with no practical reason to support democracy allied with a political party also already embracing the violence and facing the same lack of benefit from open elections lead by an executive making increasingly broad overtures towards cancelling elections, flouting the law, and a military executive branch of traitors, fascists, and criminals who have made it abundantly clear who's side their taking when the poo poo hits the fan and a military Junta is inevitably the most practical choice when Trump is up against criminal charges and electoral loss.

E:

Seriously, ask yourself a basic question: what concessions to these people would reduce their violence and why or how would they reduce it otherwise?

Sneakster fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 13, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

JeffersonClay posted:

If "immigrants are good they help the economy" was a conservative argument in the 1930's (it really wasn't), then it's a good thing that democrats co opted it instead of making the same arguments they were making, so LBJ could pass https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigration_and_Nationality_Act_of_1965

The conservative argument he's referring to is using "crops will go to waste" as an economic argument any time people take action that creates a temporary shortage in labor (for example labor strikes).

Reading comprehension!

edit: though to be fair it seems like other people also somehow didn't pick up on that, though at least they weren't making snarky replies on the basis of a misunderstanding

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Aug 13, 2017

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Condiv posted:

the left sure is united. centrists however had a good time yesterday punching left though. lot of "both sides!" out of them yesterday as a leftist got killed by a murderous fascist

oh, and they are trying as hard as they can to turn an IWW member into a centrist post-mortem. absolutely vile and disgusting imo

All your examples: "a Twitter said a mean thing." Because you can't scapegoat your hated centrist Dem politicians.

Also the IWW put out a statement that none of their members were killed.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

MooselanderII posted:

It is the argument you wish was the consensus of the thread, when in reality he consensus is that labor standards should be universally raised so that immigrants don't become a means for businesses to advance their race to the bottom. Of course, you take issue with this proposal because you think that paying people more and improving labor standards increases COSTS! and we can't have that, so you just ignore it and strawman like hell.

This sounds a lot like talking about the economic impacts of immigration which is the sin Kamala Harris was guilty of. Have y'all lost the thread that quickly?

steinrokkan posted:

Hello, it is disingenuous to pretend that arguments against immigration driven by literal plantation owners are arguments against immigration of all sorts. See: When people point out that produce rots in absence of immigrants, they mean produce rots because there are no below-average-wage immigrants to pick it. Immigrants need to be part of the same labour movement as born citizens, and they need to enjoy the same benefits. Basing agriculture on the existence of an illegal underclass that thoroughly distorts the labor market is a very liberal thing to do, since it only serves the owners / employers.

http://www.latimes.com/projects/la-fi-farms-immigration/

quote:

Today, farmworkers in the state earn about $30,000 a year if they work full time — about half the overall average pay in California. Most work fewer hours.

Some farmers are even giving laborers benefits normally reserved for white-collar professionals, like 401(k) plans, health insurance, subsidized housing and profit-sharing bonuses. Full-timers at Silverado Farming, for example, get most of those sweeteners, plus 10 paid vacation days, eight paid holidays, and can earn their hourly rate to take English classes.

But the raises and new perks have not tempted native-born Americans to leave their day jobs for the fields. Nine in 10 agriculture workers in California are still foreign born, and more than half are undocumented, according to a federal survey.

That's $15 per hour. The average undocumented farmworker in CA makes more per hour than Willie Tomg does.

C. Everett Koop posted:

God forbid we actually look at the actual causes of these events and not just hand-wring and tweet for points. We're in this mess because of eight years of King Hussein more concerned about his legacy and "ReAcHiNg AcRoSs ThE aIsLe" while fueling a groundswell of white nationalism that he refused to acknowledge which took over the local governments, followed up by the Dems nominating a literal slaveowner to go against Trump, the one person who had no good counters to any of his points or flaws.

And of course this insane racist apologia goes ignored.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

JeffersonClay posted:

You of all people should understand not feeding the trolls. He has nothing of substance to say.

And please, no one come in here with "Actualllllllllly, Obama might be considered at fault...:words:" bullshit. He calls the man "Hussein" he's a loving nutter, don't give him legitimacy.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

WampaLord posted:

You of all people should understand not feeding the trolls. He has nothing of substance to say.

And please, no one come in here with "Actualllllllllly, Obama might be considered at fault...:words:" bullshit. He calls the man "Hussein" he's a loving nutter, don't give him legitimacy.

I'm sorry, are you saying a poster who only calls Barack Obama by his middle name is...not posting in good faith?!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

JeffersonClay posted:

This sounds a lot like talking about the economic impacts of immigration which is the sin Kamala Harris was guilty of. Have y'all lost the thread that quickly?

http://www.latimes.com/projects/la-fi-farms-immigration/

That's $15 per hour. The average undocumented farmworker in CA makes more per hour than Willie Tomg does.

Turns out that it, per free market, is too little to pay for back-breaking labor! Just because you clear some arbitrary threshold doesn't mean you are paying people a fair wage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Ytlaya posted:

The conservative argument he's referring to is using "crops will go to waste" as an economic argument any time people take action that creates a temporary shortage in labor (for example labor strikes).

Reading comprehension!

Conservatives in the 1930's were anti-immigration. They made exactly the argument people in this thread have made-- immigrants drive down wages for american workers.

quote:

113 - White House Statement on Government Policies To Reduce Immigration.
March 26, 1931

PRESIDENT HOOVER, to protect American workingmen from further competition for positions by new alien immigration during the existing conditions of employment, initiated action last September looking to a material reduction in the number of aliens entering this country.

This argument is even more non-sequiter because Kamala Harris got the backing of the UFW in her senate race.

http://www.latimes.com/politics/ess...-htmlstory.html

quote:

California's iconic United Farm Workers union on Wednesday endorsed Atty. Gen. Kamala Harris for U.S. Senate, saying she has been a champion for immigrant workers and the rights of unionized laborers.

The endorsement was a major blow to Harris’ rival, Rep. Loretta Sanchez of Orange County, who is counting on a wave of support from Latino voters and the Central Valley in her uphill battle against Harris.

United Farm Workers President Arturo S. Rodriguez said both Harris and Sanchez are “strong candidates” and that union leaders faced a difficult choice. Both Harris and Sanchez are Democrats.

After union leaders interviewed both candidates, however, Harris was their choice, Rodriguez said.

WampaLord posted:

i'm taking this as an implicit compliment on the content and quality of my posting.

steinrokkan posted:

Turns out that it, per free market, is too little to pay for back-breaking labor! Just because you clear some arbitrary threshold doesn't mean you are paying people a fair wage.

I'm pretty sure $15 dollars per hour isn't just some meaningless arbitrary threshold considering it's one of the litmus tests for bad democrats itt

JeffersonClay fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Aug 13, 2017

• Locked thread