Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Is there an easy way to tell if my shocks need to be replaced? It's a 93, in great shape but I have no records from the original (previous) owner. The car is pretty bumpy (almost... squirelly?) over road imperfections but I might just be unused to such a low car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

A MIRACLE posted:

Is there an easy way to tell if my shocks need to be replaced? It's a 93, in great shape but I have no records from the original (previous) owner. The car is pretty bumpy (almost... squirelly?) over road imperfections but I might just be unused to such a low car.

If they are completely blown, you can push down on a corner of the car and it will bounce instead of settle. From what I've been reading, the original Miata shocks are only good for 60-70k miles.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
So I've decided on a Miata as a project car. I've always wanted a convertible and this is the right place to have one. Problem being is that pickings are pretty slim on Oahu.

I dug up http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/cto/4957112559.html on craigslist. Thinking if I can get him to $1800 it would be the best way to start. Of course this is pending checking it out for huge rust holes and major transmission issues. Other options all start much higher.
http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/cto/4943547669.html being one. This one looks dodgy with the clutch and dodgy side skirt job.

Thoughts?

Laranzu fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Apr 14, 2015

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Laranzu posted:

So I've decided on a Miata as a project car. I've always wanted a convertible and this is the right place to have one. Problem being is that pickings are pretty slim on Oahu.

I dug up http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/cto/4957112559.html on craigslist. Thinking if I can get him to $1800 it would be the best way to start. Of course this is pending checking it out for huge rust holes and major transmission issues. Other options all start much higher.
http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/cto/4943547669.html being one. This one looks dodgy with the clutch and dodgy side skirt job.

Thoughts?
If those are your only two options I would go with the first option as it doesn't look to have been owned by an idiot.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

destructo posted:

If those are your only two options I would go with the first option as it doesn't look to have been owned by an idiot.

My thoughts too. Just needed reinforcement.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
The clutch is about the good thing bought for that other one. A 1.8 clutch and flywheel is a nice upgrade...if you're making more power and need more clutch holding force which the stock engine doesn't need. Everything else bought for that car is bad bad bad. Definitely the first one.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Laranzu posted:

Thoughts?

Are you dead set on an NA? They're definitely the better project car, and more affordable, but if you're at all interested in an NC, let me know. I've got an '06 you can check out. It's stock other than an aux-in that works with the stock headunit, a RoadsterSport RACE muffler, and Continental DWs.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Harmburger posted:

Are you dead set on an NA? They're definitely the better project car, and more affordable, but if you're at all interested in an NC, let me know. I've got an '06 you can check out. It's stock other than an aux-in that works with the stock headunit, a RoadsterSport RACE muffler, and Continental DWs.

Not dead set, but it would take a pretty blown up NC to make my budget happy. I've had nice cars the last few years and I'm looking to have a POS for a bit really.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Gorson posted:

ONE OF Y'ALL. ONE OF Y'ALL.

Picked up a 1990 Miata with a hardtop this weekend. I'll spare you pictures because it is a stock Miata. Loving the way it handles, but the steering is a little loose on-center. The PO claims to have changed out the front shocks with "whatever from NAPA" and the rears are presumably stock. With around 78k miles, the rears are probably shot too and in need of replacing. Would it be best at this point to have it aligned, or should I inspect/replace any bushings first?

Unless you have issues, hold off on the bushings. Its a lot of money and effort for little improvement unless they are hard or damaged. And for all you know they've already been replaced! Give them a quick inspection and look for cracks or decay.

If you want to freshen it up new rear shocks are a must, do ball joints and tie rod ends (again inspect first, they could be fine) to fix your steering issues, and pick up the underbody bracing the later cars have at a junkyard. Its not so much a performance mod as a comfort one. Stops the shaking on the freeway.

Keep an eye on craigslist for a good deal on anti sway bars, and do your own research on a nice set of brake pads and fluid. The NA is the best car you dont "need" much to really wake it up. I"m over 10 grand into mine :smithicide:

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Unless you have issues, hold off on the bushings. Its a lot of money and effort for little improvement unless they are hard or damaged. And for all you know they've already been replaced! Give them a quick inspection and look for cracks or decay.

If you want to freshen it up new rear shocks are a must, do ball joints and tie rod ends (again inspect first, they could be fine) to fix your steering issues, and pick up the underbody bracing the later cars have at a junkyard. Its not so much a performance mod as a comfort one. Stops the shaking on the freeway.

Keep an eye on craigslist for a good deal on anti sway bars, and do your own research on a nice set of brake pads and fluid. The NA is the best car you dont "need" much to really wake it up. I"m over 10 grand into mine :smithicide:

Great info, thanks. I stuck my head under each corner last night. The front shocks are OE replacement. The shock boots look new so he must have replaced them. The rears appear to be the originals and I can see a tear in one shock boot. The bushings all appear to be original but do not look cracked or dry rotted out. I will take your advice and start with the rear shocks since they are due anyway, then start looking at ball joints and tie rods.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Guess who's got two thumbs and also two more bent 17" OE rims on his MSM? :suicide:

Welp, guess I'm shopping for some 15" 6ULs! I'll do more research later, I've gotta get ready for work now, but any initial recommendations? This is what I got back from Emilio at 949:

15x8 zero modifications required at any ride height with 225/45
15x9 require coilovers to clear backside of wheel.

Back when I first looked into these I was originally looking at like 7" (stock width) or 8" wide rims with appropriate tires to match the stock rolling diameter.

Are the 6ULs durable? I mean particularly compared to the stock Racing Hart rims, but I would LOVE to not have to replace twisted rims every year. (This car has now had at least 5 bent rims. :suicide:)

Also, how common is a goddamn cracked oil pan, and what will I be looking at if it needs to be replaced? Looks like the engine would have to be pulled, then the pan & gaskets replaced. The Aluminium pan isn't too expensive but that's a lot of work.... Edit: It's not a cracked pan, it's more like leaking gaskets/seals, but with similar amounts of work, except that the leak is so slow (slower than when my NA's valve cover gasket was leaking) that I'm just going to leave it and monitor it.

Atomizer fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Apr 15, 2015

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Buy some Kosei K1-TS wheels. They're 15x7 and available on tire rack.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Phone posted:

Buy some Kosei K1-TS wheels. They're 15x7 and available on tire rack.

Is there a specific reason you like those? I haven't heard anyone mention them before (particularly not as a Miata recommendation.)

Are they particularly durable, or is it just that they kinda look like the 6ULs and it's convenient to get them with the tires already mounted because I'd be getting both from Tirerack?

I'm not dead-set on stock width, I'll be happy with whatever will give me fewer headaches than these stock rims.

Konrad
Jul 17, 2002

Every stop I get to I'm clocking that game
K1s are cheap, always available, and I remember seeing them on a lot of spec Miatas, so they can't be that fragile.

Edit: For the money, I'm pretty happy with my Jongbloed 15x8s. I think they're still available.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I had a set and my parents have a set on their MSM. Unless if you have coilovers, I don't know what going up to an 8 or 9" wheel will gain for you outside of awful understeer and fitment issues.

I also don't know how you're driving if you're destroying the Racing Hart boat anchors either.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Atomizer posted:

Is there a specific reason you like those? I haven't heard anyone mention them before (particularly not as a Miata recommendation.)

Are they particularly durable, or is it just that they kinda look like the 6ULs and it's convenient to get them with the tires already mounted because I'd be getting both from Tirerack?

I'm not dead-set on stock width, I'll be happy with whatever will give me fewer headaches than these stock rims.

They are also one of the lighter wheels you can buy: 11.4lbs @15x7.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Also both Fatcow and I have bounced my set of K1-TSs off of curbs at VIR and Carolina Motor sports Park (not the bad ones on the outside of T14, though) and they're all round still.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Yeah, I've abused the poo poo out of those wheels and they still seem fairly round.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWNCl9cU55g

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Phone posted:

I had a set and my parents have a set on their MSM. Unless if you have coilovers, I don't know what going up to an 8 or 9" wheel will gain for you outside of awful understeer and fitment issues.

I also don't know how you're driving if you're destroying the Racing Hart boat anchors either.

Do K1s even come in 8 or 9"? If I don't end up getting GC coilovers before my tires wear out I'm probably just gonna get a set of 7" K1s.

Would love some 9" 6ULs tho, I keep missing out on people selling GCs :argh:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
K1

K1-TS

And yeah, 15x7 only for both.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
I have 15x8 6ULs with 205/50 on them. No complaints. When I jump to 15x9 I think I'm going to get Koenig Dial-ins.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Phone posted:

K1

K1-TS

And yeah, 15x7 only for both.

The K1 looks better :colbert:

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Phone posted:

The suspension is stock, I'll be perfectly happy with 7" wide rims.

And gently caress, dude, it's a MSM, how do you think I drive it? Like I loving stole it. :getin: That's not the problem though, the lovely roads full of potholes are twisting up the goddamn rims (although 2 of them were replaced by the PO, and 1 was bent when I got it; the last two were entirely in my possession unless they were just less noticeably twisted before.) I mean I drive aggressively while trying to avoid potholes, but they're not always easy to avoid without swerving all over the place, and they're also difficult to spot being so low to the ground.

Gorson posted:

They are also one of the lighter wheels you can buy: 11.4lbs @15x7.

The 6ULs are even lighter: 10.6 lbs for the 15x7:
http://949racing.com/15x7-6UL.aspx

Although those Koseis aren't too shabby; both those rims are only a bit more than half the 17" Racing Harts at over 18 lbs! :eyepop:

loving Enkei RPF1s are 9.9 lbs!!!

leica posted:

The K1 looks better :colbert:

To be fair, I also prefer single-spoke designs, preferably 5 spokes. That's part of the reason why I like the look of the stock rims despite their other drawbacks.

----------------------------

The thing that's pissing me off is that on Tirerack they won't let me just browse specific sizes of rims; it'll show the general styles, but then I've got to specify a car, and they don't want to show 15" rims for the '05 MSM, so I picked an NA just to see the options. Why the gently caress are they making this so difficult?

Anyways, it's still a better idea to go with 15s on the MSM rather than 16s? There seem to be far fewer options with the latter and I'm OK with a setup looking something like this (not my car):

Obviously with different-colored rim and car, but I don't mind that kinda chunky look.

Stick with 15x7 vs 15x8? Any reason to go wider?

What about 195/50 vs. 205/50 tires?

I'm thinking 15x7 6ULs in Tungsten with 205/50 Star Specs. What do you guys think?

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Atomizer posted:

do NOT get 6UL. they are one of only two 15 inch wheels that wont clear all 1.8 brakes, and i think you have the biggest. You might be able to make it work with a new "Banjo bolt" i think its called on the brake. but you're better off with TRC3M or C1M. But 6UL does NOT clear the Hard-S brakes without modification.

perfect fitment formula (i'm not a "slammed" guy) is 15X8 +25 205/50/15 Ride height 12.5F 13.5R (or 14 if you want more oversteer)

edit: i meant 1 inch of rake. And yes for me it works well. Lots of front end control authority, enough to unsettle the back end if you want to, Its my best option on a open diff car to have an answer to understeer that doesnt slow me down so much, and i can keep my rear sway for more high speed gradual stuff.

ANYWAY I must be mistaking it for another wheel, I remembered it as "The popular one that wasnt the RPF1".

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Apr 16, 2015

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002

MattD1zzl3 posted:

But 6UL does NOT clear the Hard-S brakes without modification.

The 15x9s on my 2001 clear the sport brakes no problem. I find it very unlikely that the wheels explicitly designed for a Miata have fitment problems on a Miata.

1.25" of rake on a Miata? .25" is closer to what people run.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

My first miata had a roadstersport 2 exhaust on it... I miss that sound
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSHAZk9uVwg

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

MattD1zzl3 posted:

do NOT get 6UL. they are one of only two 15 inch wheels that wont clear all 1.8 brakes, and i think you have the biggest. You might be able to make it work with a new "Banjo bolt" i think its called on the brake. but you're better off with TRC3M or C1M. But 6UL does NOT clear the Hard-S brakes without modification.

perfect fitment formula (i'm not a "slammed" guy) is 15X8 +25 205/50/15 Ride height 12.5F 13.5R (or 14 if you want more oversteer)

edit: i meant 1 inch of rake. And yes for me it works well. Lots of front end control authority, enough to unsettle the back end if you want to, Its my best option on a open diff car to have an answer to understeer that doesnt slow me down so much, and i can keep my rear sway for more high speed gradual stuff.

ANYWAY I must be mistaking it for another wheel, I remembered it as "The popular one that wasnt the RPF1".

Wait, is that all retracted based on your last edit? Because yeah, all signs point to the 6ULs being just fine for the MSM. Emilio from 949 said "no modifications needed [for the 15x8s]", and oh yeah, here's a whole thread full of MSMs with 6ULs:
http://www.mazda-speed.com/forum2/index.php/topic,19506.0.html

Is there some reason almost everybody (not just in that thread) with 6ULs on their MSM have either 8 or 9" width instead of 7"? (I think the 7"ers weren't produced in the beginning.) Isn't it basically "the narrower rims will ride/handle better but wider rims are recommended for power upgrades?" The car is otherwise stock, so am I wrong in planning for 7" wide rims? (Again, street use only.)

(Also the MSM has an LSD.)

--------------------------------------

I noticed this earlier when reading the description on the Star Specs:

Dunlop posted:

As an evolution of the Direzza ZII and continuing to use the same tread design, the Direzza ZII Star Spec's tread compound helps provide faster lap times from the start by developing more traction in temperate temperatures along with consistent grip on subsequent laps when the tires are fully warmed up. While this means the Direzza ZII Star Spec's tread compound accommodates a wider operating temperature range, it is not intended to be serviced, stored nor driven in near- and below-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.

So, uh, I live in Chicagoland, and the car will be stored in near-and/or-below-freezing temperatures (for about half the year!) and occasionally driven in lower temperatures (~40s) in the Spring/Autumn. :tinfoil: Does this mean the Star Specs are a no-go? :(

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

He only makes the 15x7 to appease the SM folks. He made them way back in the day in the first batches I believe, but hasn't again until recently. Get the 8's, they're probably lighter than the 7's due to SM's minimum weight at 13 lbs and you can fit more tire on them.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Get 15x7s unless if you're planning on dropping the car any time soon. Ignore Mattdizzle, he's temporarily losing his poo poo.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Yea i openly admit i was mistaken. i must have confused it with another wheel.

Revised truth/Hazy memory: There exists a popular 15X7-8 wheel that doesnt fit the sport brakes because of a caliper bolt of some sort.

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 17, 2015

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Atomizer posted:

So, uh, I live in Chicagoland, and the car will be stored in near-and/or-below-freezing temperatures (for about half the year!) and occasionally driven in lower temperatures (~40s) in the Spring/Autumn. :tinfoil: Does this mean the Star Specs are a no-go? :(

Any summer/performance tyre will be some degree of garbage at near freezing or lower.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

Edmund Honda posted:

Any summer/performance tyre will be some degree of garbage at near freezing or lower.

I've driven on my Ziis in light snow and temperatures in the 20s (South Carolina). They are not very good in those conditions but they won't kill you. Pay attention and don't drive like its the summer and you will be fine.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Driving with zero grip seems to be a "Some people can/some cant" thing.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

So it looks like I have one vote for 7" and one vote for 8". The 7" is the stock width and I have no performance mods, with no plans to install any any time soon. (I can always upgrade the wheels if that changes.) The car is about as low as it can go, no plans to drop it ever. The 7s are a pound lighter than the 8s. I'm OK with the stock width and better handling. (Remember, I've been driving this thing with the boat anchors, this wheel change will save 8-9 pounds or shave off about a third of the original weight!) Conversely, the 7s are not available until this Summer, allegedly. I guess if the 7s don't come out I'll have to go with 8s, but I haven't seen a compelling reason to go with one over the other.

Edit: Spec Miata was mentioned; they make specific 7" 6ULs for Spec Miata (they're heavier) which doesn't apply to me; I'm only considering the regular edition rims.

Edmund Honda posted:

I can avoid driving in low temperatures, I do have a second car (specifically purchased for inclement weather & the Winter.) The concern is that part about storage. It will definitely be stored at or well-below freezing for half the year. (Unless I move, which has been sounding like more and more of a good idea lately, but that's another story.) I have to make the assumption that they included that statement for a reason. Also, Dunlop's site is surprisingly unhelpful; it's difficult to find things and out-of-date (e.g. they only list the previous-generation ZI Star Specs edit: never mind, it's just a really, really lovely site that's unintuitive and difficult to navigate.)

I'm going to contact Tirerack, Dunlop, and 949 as well to get some info. I'll let you know how it goes.

Atomizer fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Apr 18, 2015

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Buy the K1-TS wheels since you can readily find replacements. They're cheaper than the 6ULs and there isn't that much of a weight penalty.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Phone posted:

Buy the K1-TS wheels since you can readily find replacements. They're cheaper than the 6ULs and there isn't that much of a weight penalty.

Well at 15x7 they're both almost the same price; the Enkeis might be a few bucks less but that's insignificant. At this point I'm already going to be dropping over a grand, so I don't care about a few bucks either way. I'll go with either the Enkeis or the 6ULs, but the situation now looks more like it's about the tires than the rims. Here's Emilio's response from 949:

Emilio posted:

The only gain with 7's is ride quality. As you add width you add steering response, stability and overall grip. 9"s only fit with coilover so that's not an option for your. Run 205/50's on 15x8.

The stats for the 205/50-15 Star Specs lists 7.5" as the maximum rim width, though. On top of that, the other tire sizes listed on the 6UL x8" product page aren't available in the Star Specs. There isn't even anything available at 215/45, so I would have to go with 225/45 (g-Force Rivals, Ventus R-S3, or Proxes R1R.) For the most part there's only track tires available at the other sizes. Realistically, I'm probably going to have to get 205/50s on 7" width.

The main question now is, "What will happen to Extreme Performance Summer tires when stored over the Winter?" Worst-case scenario, there's a Direzza DZ102 UHP Summer tire that seems to be highly-rated and is also cheap as gently caress.

All of this research into wheels is making me wonder what the rest of you guys are running.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002

Atomizer posted:

The stats for the 205/50-15 Star Specs lists 7.5" as the maximum rim width, though. On top of that, the other tire sizes listed on the 6UL x8" product page aren't available in the Star Specs. There isn't even anything available at 215/45, so I would have to go with 225/45 (g-Force Rivals, Ventus R-S3, or Proxes R1R.) For the most part there's only track tires available at the other sizes. Realistically, I'm probably going to have to get 205/50s on 7" width.

Ignore the maximum rim widths.

quote:

The main question now is, "What will happen to Extreme Performance Summer tires when stored over the Winter?" Worst-case scenario, there's a Direzza DZ102 UHP Summer tire that seems to be highly-rated and is also cheap as gently caress.
Nothing.

quote:

All of this research into wheels is making me wonder what the rest of you guys are running.

I don't have a street car so what run is meaningless to you.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Atomizer posted:

Stock hollow spokes with Azenis.

woop dee doo

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Atomizer posted:

Well at 15x7 they're both almost the same price; the Enkeis might be a few bucks less but that's insignificant. At this point I'm already going to be dropping over a grand, so I don't care about a few bucks either way. I'll go with either the Enkeis or the 6ULs, but the situation now looks more like it's about the tires than the rims. Here's Emilio's response from 949:

You should buy the wheel that has legendary status for being unavailable considering that the only reason why you're looking at new wheels is because you're bending wheels on an annual basis. Also, the K1-TS is made by Kosei.

Once again, you don't have a modified suspension, so getting a bigger wheel and tire combo doesn't really make sense. A 205/50R15 will fit on an 8" wheel, it's OK. You could also pick up 195/50R15s, and they'll fit like a glove. If you're buying UHP Summer tires, you shouldn't be concerned with your tires lasting more than 18 months. Buying a compromise tire like a V12 or DZ102 is pretty dumb because you get all of the disadvantages of an UHP, but they're floppy and don't grip well either.

When my car was stock:
14x6 hollow spokes with 195/60R14 Falken Azenis RT-615 (3 sets, I think) and Hankook Ventus RS2s

When I picked up a suspension:
15x7 Kosei K1-TS with 225/45R15 Hankook R-S3s pinched on them

When the car broke, I sold the K1-TSs to Fatcow and parked it. After I got it back on the road:
3rd gen 15x9 949racing 6ULs with 225/45R15 Hankook R-S3s and BFG Rivals 225/45R15
(also ran 195/50R15 Star Specs on my Mazda2 on Miata 15x6 M-edition BBS wheels in 2012)

I'm going to put the Version 2s of the Hankook R-S3s on when the Rival shows cords and I'm also going to pick up a set of 4th gen 6ULs in 15x9 and put 225/45R15 Toyo RRs on them.

My recommendation? Buy a set of Kosei K1-TS wheels and Z2s.

Phone fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Apr 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Lemme know when you wanna sell your 3rd gen 6ULs Phone.

I'm kinda torn because I know I'm going to eventually get some GC coilovers, so I might as well get 9" wheels off the bat, gently caress it.