Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I know nothing of Star Ocean. Is this game going to capture my attention?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

New Leaf posted:

I know nothing of Star Ocean. Is this game going to capture my attention?

maybe, star ocean was a series i couldnt get into and im a pretty big dork for jrpgs (atrociously annoying va work primarily)

the 30 minutes i played of anamamamama seemed fine but im just killing time until smt dx2 anyways

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

if it was a good game it would be called star ocean: animenemesis

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Has that food titty gatcha dropped yet? I'm waiting on that

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

boy are my arms tired posted:

(atrociously annoying va work primarily)

ThuuUUUUUUNDARBOOOOOLT

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

Xtanstic posted:

Nope, you should make sure to pre-register on Play. Some games give you extra goodies for that and it'll alert you when it goes live.

overseer07
Mar 30, 2003
Pillbug
enemanemesis started out fun, but it pretty quickly becomes another game where you're forced into a multiplayer grind, so gently caress that. Too bad.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

ThuuUUUUUUNDARBOOOOOLT

this was bad but more annoying was the entirety of welchs existence

DemonMage posted:

Nope, you should make sure to pre-register on Play. Some games give you extra goodies for that and it'll alert you when it goes live.

speaking of extra goodies if yall have a throwaway/main facebook account toss dx2 some likes so we get a 4* aragami pixie please and thanks

e: the pixie is unique because of its archetype, you cant fuse down for it so that make its decently important if the jp discord is to be believed

boy are my arms tired fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jul 11, 2018

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
If you're looking for a game to play until Slay the Spire is ported to Android, Night of the Full Moon should do the trick.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Paladinus posted:

If you're looking for a game to play until Slay the Spire is ported to Android, Night of the Full Moon should do the trick.

Anyone have a review of this? Looks great. I saved up a ton of google bucks for KODP, but that gives me an error, so I bought RTC, and The Room, and still have credit left over.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Anyone have a review of this? Looks great. I saved up a ton of google bucks for KODP, but that gives me an error, so I bought RTC, and The Room, and still have credit left over.

I uninstalled it in 15 minutes. It feels clunky, and it bored me to tears.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Is noone playing PokeMMO? It takes the legally acquired ROMs and turns them into an MMO with PvP and trading etc.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Is noone playing PokeMMO? It takes the legally acquired ROMs and turns them into an MMO with PvP and trading etc.

What is this?

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
Night of the Full Moon is literally Dream Quest but instead of a dungeon you pick your encounters from a set of three that get replaced as you use them. I'm not talking it's inspired by Dream Quest, i mean literally everything from the classes and their cards to the enemies and their mechanics are direct copies. Like the Priest class would get prayer skills : when you cast it you choose 1-5 turns of a delay then it goes off that many turns later with a stronger effect the longer you wait. Those cards (and all the priest's other spells and cards) are directly copied.

The two most egregious examples are that the sphinx and genie from DQ are recreated exactly. The Sphinx would ban the most common card type in your hand (attack, skill, spell), and slowly replace cards in your deck with shittier versions of a different type. Like your sweet 10 damage attack gets replaced with a 2 damage skill. The genie would offer you three "wishes" before each turn and you had to pick one, almost all of them with terrible effects like healing him or adding curses to your deck. Both of these monsters are perfectly cloned in NotFM.

I mean Dream Quest was never released on Android and it was a super good game with awesome MS Paint art. It's kind of surreal to see a game that copies the mechanics so closely and then adds actual art to it.

It also doesn't seem to have as many classes or unlocks/achievements. It's not that it's a bad game, it's just complete rip of Dream Quest, so go play that on iOS or Steam!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ok so looking up Slay the Spire led me to this:

https://www.50gameslike.com/games-like/slay-the-spire/android

Any game listed here worth a drat?

Lunimeow
Oct 6, 2012

Shaken, not purred.
I enjoy the guild of dungeoneering, I guess it's sort of like slay the spire.

E: Not sure why ziggurat and binding of Isaac are in the list besides also being rogue lites I guess, those are both good games (pretty sure they aren't on Android though)

Lunimeow fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jul 11, 2018

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Lunimeow posted:

I enjoy the guild of dungeoneering, I guess it's sort of like slay the spire.

E: Not sure why ziggurat and binding of Isaac are in the list besides also being rogue lites I guess, those are both good games (pretty sure they aren't on Android though)

It's because these lists are made by an AI based on tags so most of the games are in fact not like the original

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Mr Hootington posted:

What is this?

https://pokemmo.eu

Literally Fire Red but an mmo and it has the other worlds stitched on. Won't be on play store because it needs roms to work. Android client came out a couple days ago and is amazing.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

In PokeMMO you can get your pokemon to follow you around by dragging them off the right side and onto your player

This really put the game over the top for me

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I've never played a Pokemon game aside from GO, but I'm interested.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
PokeMMO works pretty well, not sure how much I'd play, but it's definitely a pretty cool bit of software.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

can we take bets on how long until the developers add cease-mon and desist-mon

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Lawyer used LAWSUIT.

It's super effective!

Strenots
Jun 21, 2005

'Course it's a good idea!

Well poo poo, so much for getting anything done between client appointments today

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ok so looking up Slay the Spire led me to this:

https://www.50gameslike.com/games-like/slay-the-spire/android

Any game listed here worth a drat?

Desktop Dungeons and Solitairica - definitely. The former is not a card game, though, and is only really playable on a tablet.

SynthesisAlpha posted:

I mean Dream Quest was never released on Android and it was a super good game with awesome MS Paint art. It's kind of surreal to see a game that copies the mechanics so closely and then adds actual art to it.

It also doesn't seem to have as many classes or unlocks/achievements. It's not that it's a bad game, it's just complete rip of Dream Quest, so go play that on iOS or Steam!

The guy who worked on Dream Quest now works for Blizzard and is responsible for their single-player Hearthstone content, so the game has been attracting a lot of attention lately from a huge new audience. Makes sense that someone would make a clone of it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Paladinus posted:

Desktop Dungeons and Solitairica - definitely. The former is not a card game, though, and is only really playable on a tablet.

Desktop Dungeons won't even let me try to install it on my phone.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

boy are my arms tired posted:

speaking of extra goodies if yall have a throwaway/main facebook account toss dx2 some likes so we get a 4* aragami pixie please and thanks

e: the pixie is unique because of its archetype, you cant fuse down for it so that make its decently important if the jp discord is to be believed

Thanks for reminding me about that game, that might be the thing that scratches my gacha itch going forward. Sounds like its coming out soonish, too. I'm not super familiar with SMT, but Persona 5 has quickly become one of my favorite games ever, and I know they have a lot of crossover.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

RBA Starblade posted:

Desktop Dungeons won't even let me try to install it on my phone.

They used to sell apk on their website (or maybe on Humble Bundle?), and you could install it on a phone, but it wasn't a good experience. That's why it's tablets-only on Google Play.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
pokemmo has been around for literal years; the people running it are good folk and the community is good as well except for some gg-types that might have moved on by now

Nintendo is aware of it and has been since the get go

source: i moderated there for a while years ago

New Leaf posted:

Thanks for reminding me about that game, that might be the thing that scratches my gacha itch going forward. Sounds like its coming out soonish, too. I'm not super familiar with SMT, but Persona 5 has quickly become one of my favorite games ever, and I know they have a lot of crossover.

its closer to a traditional smt than persona 5 but if you liked persona you will love smt

there was a jp stream today and they announced kohryuu, quetzacoatal and a few other dragon demons alongside some much needed QOL stuff, so the game is being taken care of

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

What is up with the colonists in Seedship having the urge to lemming into the dangerous ruins? I told you was dangerous, WTF are you doing? Wait, how did 249 of you die? Did the entire colony go visit these stupid ruins?

:argh:

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Xtanstic posted:

WHat game is this? Because those are three of my favorite things.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

vulturesrow posted:

WHat game is this? Because those are three of my favorite things.

RottenK posted:

step aside kingsraidailures, the new gacha king is about to be in town

jokes aside the premise is silly enough to endear me and i like cute anime guys and management games so i will at least try it when it's out

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Aw, I was hoping for an actual food game, not the sexy adventures of pistachiokin

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Any savvy goons out there know of sites (in English or otherwise) that track new or still active Japanese gacha/mobage games? I know of a couple English sites but they're fairly quiet and often still list games that are years closed down.

Illiterate Clitoris
Oct 24, 2011

Yeah, most of the ones I follow are also pretty spotty.

/r/gachagaming of all places is probably the most comprehensive one.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gachagaming/comments/8viffy/list_of_gacha_games_july_2018

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Illiterate Clitoris posted:

Yeah, most of the ones I follow are also pretty spotty.

/r/gachagaming of all places is probably the most comprehensive one.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gachagaming/comments/8viffy/list_of_gacha_games_july_2018

Seems like most of those are English games, sadly. These are the two I've been using in case they help you:

http://kongbakpao.com/
http://app.steparu.com/games

Unfortunately, it feels like half of the games listed have been shut down and they only really pick up the most popular Japanese games nowadays.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Man, I want to like this Star Ocean game. But only having two real cast members is a bit of a bummer, not making any use of the player characters is a bit dumb, and sadly, like a lot of games, they give you enough free stuff at launch that the early game is dreadfully dull. :smith: It's a shame because in a lot of ways it feels high-effort. It's clear there's a desire for this to be good and some real effort's gone into the translation.

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
I'm not really into the gameplay either. The fancy 3D stuff feels too much for a phone game, but the actual input you have seems pretty low too. It's hard to read what's going on and missions are either cakewalks or instadeath depending on if your Numbers are Big Enough as a nauseating camera swings around a bunch of blurry 3D models.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

SpaceDrake posted:

Man, I want to like this Star Ocean game. But only having two real cast members is a bit of a bummer, not making any use of the player characters is a bit dumb, and sadly, like a lot of games, they give you enough free stuff at launch that the early game is dreadfully dull. :smith: It's a shame because in a lot of ways it feels high-effort. It's clear there's a desire for this to be good and some real effort's gone into the translation.

I uninstalled it during the tutorial when I had 3 team members, but I could only control one at a time during a real-time battle, and the other 2 stood there like statues while getting attacked by space crabs. At least let the AI defend themselves or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roid666
Jul 18, 2010
I tried it too, but I've found if I just stand still with my main char, the party ai just kills everything in sight. Then I found/ unlocked the auto button...