Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Lurdiak is my friend. Please don't bully him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Donde Esta posted:

Funny you don't recognize me for myself - I DEFINITELY know who you are.
Are you the guy who tore up the Walking Dead pride covers

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nessus posted:

Ha! If only.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Aphrodite posted:

Jesus man don't admit that in public.

Don't worry, nobody will ever admit to liking you publicly or privately

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

:getin:

Nessus posted:

This is like the third time I've been asked "what if they made Cap gay", "how do you feel about pride week " -- where are you getting that I would even be mildly upset with that? I've been making the argument the whole loving time in support of letting the creators/writers make their own stories/letting marvel market it how they want. I'm also one of the first people to fiercely defend Marvel's diversity whenever it comes up.

It's pretty loving offensive - feel free to disagree with my opinions about a creative choices in comic books, but don't pretend to infer a goddamn thing about my actual beliefs unless I state them.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Donde Esta posted:

This is like the third time I've been asked "what if they made Cap gay", "how do you feel about pride week " -- where are you getting that I would even be mildly upset with that? I've been making the argument the whole loving time in support of letting the creators/writers make their own stories/letting marvel market it how they want. I'm also one of the first people to fiercely defend Marvel's diversity whenever it comes up.

It's pretty loving offensive - feel free to disagree with my opinions about a creative choices in comic books, but don't pretend to infer a goddamn thing about my actual beliefs unless I state them.

They think you are a re-reg of another guy who in addition to making similar arguments also complained frequently about certain new legacy heroes and the changing of sexuality of established but obscure heroes. They are trying to bait you into confirming these suspicions.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

glitchwraith posted:

They think you are a re-reg of another guy who in addition to making similar arguments also complained frequently about certain new legacy heroes and the changing of sexuality of established but obscure heroes. They are trying to bait you into confirming these suspicions.

Nobody actually thinks he's AmericanDracula, his account has been around a long rear end time. It was clearly a joke.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Captain America did have a gay best friend. They even used his origin story for Bucky in the movies.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

If it wasn't so long, Captain America's Gay Best Friend would be a primo username.

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

:getin:

glitchwraith posted:

Ah, thanks for clarifying. And yeah, I realize I'm not literally being confused for this person. I don't really know what their "similar" arguments were, but I don't think a single thing I've said supports their latter one.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Donde Esta posted:

Ah, thanks for clarifying. And yeah, I realize I'm not literally being confused for this person. I don't really know what their "similar" arguments were, but I don't think a single thing I've said supports their latter one.

We're just having a romp dude. People rip on me every now and again and just look how E&C's posts go over on occasion.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Rich Johnston, so big grain of salt, but nothing here seems particularly implausible given how incredibly uninspiring the Legacy rollout has been so far.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/07/03/marvel-legacy-covers-surprise-creators-comics/
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/07/03/creators-asked-promote-marvel-legacy/
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/07/03/dc-comics-talent-marvel-legacy-misfire/
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/07/03/marvel-comics-big-push-2018-avengers/

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Marvel Legacy #1 art preview. Check out the prehistory Avengers.
https://www.newsarama.com/35153-marvel-legacy-1-first-look.html#s1

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

I can't make hide nor hair of what was supposed to be happening here. I have no idea whether legacy is supposed to be an event, a "jumping-off point" like "Marvel NOW" or a line-wide renumbering with a related mini-series reintroducing original-costume Cap, Thor and Iron Man. It looks like I'm not alone in that.

Regardless of whatever the gently caress is actually supposed to be happening here, I am 100% happy in my ability to say the 60s costumes suck and I don't want to see them back. If this is just an NFL-style throw-on-a-retro-jersey once a year to celebrate your history then fine (and huzzah, even). But if this is a reaction from Marvel to that whole "people didn't want diversity" thing (that I'm still not sure is their official position or not, thanks again for the clarity Marvel) by doubling down to the 1960 characters and designs then that's loving naff.

Maybe a lot of this is on me misunderstanding what is going on, but I'd really appreciate some clearer communication from Marvel on just what the gently caress their line is.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
There are some books I get that I read the moment I get them. And there are some I enjoy but am happy to wait on till I'm in the mood. And Dan Slott's Doctor W- Silver Surfer is mainly the latter, it's just fluffy, fun space adventures with gorgeous Allred art. So tonight I finally got around to reading the last two issues...and gently caress. I was not expecting that kind of gutpunch. The first part of the story is about the Surfer and his pal Dawn racing back to Earth in time for her twin sister giving birth, all the while being delayed by some slighted idiot spaceman who wants an honourable fight to the death. Will they make it back in time for the big occasion?

No, they don't. They arrive, apologise for being late, and are introduced to the baby. Then you realise Dawn's sister is all in black. And their dad is nowhere to be seen. And the penny drops.

And it's really strange. I wasn't expecting *that* and I certainly wasn't expecting just how utterly wrecked it's left me. I never really think about my dad much, he's been gone three times as long as he was around. But it was a similar thing, we were thousands of miles apart but you're going to see them soon then suddenly someone's telling you he's gone. You get on with your life and move on. But after reading that, maybe I didn't. I don't know, I've read countless stories on a similar theme and outcome and yet this one, for whatever reason stirred a host of feelings up. drat it.

Anyway. We now return to our regularly scheduled Secret Empire chat.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Silver Surfer is the best comic at Marvel.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Silver Surfer is the best comic at Marvel.

I know Marvel's been in a bad spot lately but there's no way things are that dire.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I can't get past my intense dislike of Dan Slott to admit that it's even readable.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I always got the impression that BSS was weirdly hostile to the book, but it might just have been you two showing up every time.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

I always got the impression that BSS is weirdly hostile to the book, but it might just have been you two showing up every time.

WE ARE MANY

WE ARE LEGION

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Teenage Fansub posted:

I always got the impression that BSS was weirdly hostile to the book, but it might just have been you two showing up every time.

I think it's that BSS is hostile towards Dan Slott and Silver Surfer is collateral damage. The book is a lot better than it has any right to be, all things considered.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

I can't get past my intense dislike of Dan Slott to admit that it's even readable.

Didn't you say nice things about Amazing Spider-Man when it re-launched after Hickman's Secret Wars?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Didn't you say nice things about Amazing Spider-Man when it re-launched after Hickman's Secret Wars?

YOU HAVE NO PROOF OF THAT

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Rhyno posted:

He could have archives?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Onmi posted:

He could have archives?

QUIET YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Nilbop posted:

I can't make hide nor hair of what was supposed to be happening here. I have no idea whether legacy is supposed to be an event, a "jumping-off point" like "Marvel NOW" or a line-wide renumbering with a related mini-series reintroducing original-costume Cap, Thor and Iron Man. It looks like I'm not alone in that.

Regardless of whatever the gently caress is actually supposed to be happening here, I am 100% happy in my ability to say the 60s costumes suck and I don't want to see them back. If this is just an NFL-style throw-on-a-retro-jersey once a year to celebrate your history then fine (and huzzah, even). But if this is a reaction from Marvel to that whole "people didn't want diversity" thing (that I'm still not sure is their official position or not, thanks again for the clarity Marvel) by doubling down to the 1960 characters and designs then that's loving naff.

Maybe a lot of this is on me misunderstanding what is going on, but I'd really appreciate some clearer communication from Marvel on just what the gently caress their line is.

I haven't gotten the sense that Legacy entails returning to retro costumes, but mostly agreed. Based on the available info, it doesn't even feel like one of their near-annual relaunches, just some arbitrarily timed renumberings and a raft of homage covers like they've done many, many times before for variants.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I think Silver Surfer is funny and sweet in the right proportions. I don't think it's controversial to hazard that Slott is better when he's working within a set of stakes and tonal rules that aren't necessarily straight up Superhero Blockbuster and Silver Surfer's slice of life cosmic romcom is up there with the high points of his She Hulk.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Rhyno posted:

Nobody actually thinks he's AmericanDracula, his account has been around a long rear end time. It was clearly a joke.
Jokes are something deployed against the enemy, not used in good fun on the comedy Internet forum!

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

I love it, and will pretty much read anything that has the Allreds on art. First thing I read last month when I subscribed to Marvel Unlimited was his portion of X-factor.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

X-O posted:

Amazing Spider-Man is so good right now. I love it.

Rhyno posted:

I can't believe I agree with this. Slott must be back on his meds or something because he is crushing it.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Mike Allred probably helps plot Silver Surfer. It's a good book, especially when they do done in ones.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Well it's not like it lasted!

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

I know Marvel's been in a bad spot lately but there's no way things are that dire.

Well they did cancel Nova so that's debatable.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Please don't link to that site. I don't want to give him any revenue.

All the hate against Marvel on sites like these is gross. It's the people who hate how they've made a push to include minorities and women as major heroes and they just lap it up when sales don't succeed. It's gross.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Isn't this a major flip? Hasn't BC been sucking the Marvel dick for years?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I haven't read a comic since Hickman's run ended.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Codependent Poster posted:

Please don't link to that site. I don't want to give him any revenue.

All the hate against Marvel on sites like these is gross. It's the people who hate how they've made a push to include minorities and women as major heroes and they just lap it up when sales don't succeed. It's gross.

Bleeding Cool seems like a site that's pretty supportive of the diversity push and calling out shirty creators. And drama that drives clicks, but that's what web journalism is these days so whatever.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I wish they'd be MORE tabloid. The review articles are real dullsville.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Jordan7hm posted:

Bleeding Cool seems like a site that's pretty supportive of the diversity push and calling out shirty creators. And drama that drives clicks, but that's what web journalism is these days so whatever.

People do not like Bleeding Cool because the site owner is a rumor-mongering source-betraying clickbait-writing poo poo-stirrer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/TheBigBang_/status/881989859874922496

Shame on all y'all.

e: For Nick Fury.
ee: Not specifically for this store in Ireland, but I'm guessing it's indicative, you jerks.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jul 4, 2017

• Locked thread