Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Finished the last 50 Year Mission book.

I'm happy with how much effort they put into it, although the 2nd book was very much weighted towards TNG in how many pages were devoted to it.

It broke down like this:

50% TNG/TNG films
20% DS9
10-15% VOY
5-10% ENT
5% JJVerse films
5% pop culture/legacy of Trek

I would have liked a little more from the DS9 actors. Most of it was talking to Behr, Piller, and Moore which is fine, but not a lot of the actual cast were interviewed. Alexander Siddig seemed to say the most. I don't recall any comments at all from Colm Meaney. Obviously I think the only Avery Brooks stuff was from older interviews since I know he is kind of an odd dude and a recluse.

I think overall the best stuff came from Robert Beltran (Chakotay), and Rick Berman. Berman, like it or not, didn't hold back. Although you could tell he has a sexist streak at times. Beltran was very honest about kind of checking out of the series mentally since he felt like he had nothing to do which is telling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Beltran walked into Voyager not being a science fiction fan, much less a Star Trek fan. Pile on top of that the horrible characterization of "you're the token native american dude" that was "advised" by goddamn Jamake Highwater and he did a goddamn good job holding it together in there.

Also what the hell is Avery Brooks even up to these days?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Kazinsal posted:

Also what the hell is Avery Brooks even up to these days?

Complaining about a lack of flying cars.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

The_Doctor posted:

Trying to fly a ship with individual buttons like that seems like it'd be incredibly hard.

Individual buttons that aren't actually there and that you get no feedback on besides the position of your virtual hand, no less.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Railing Kill posted:

I can see why writers are constantly tempted to reheat TNG and TOS classics, but in reality they never work. When have we ever said, "that newer version of that old classic episode was better"?

"Trials and Tribble-ations" :colbert:

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

MrMojok posted:

I love the ship-to-ship combat in a couple of the films, and episodes like "Balance of Terror". I guess that makes me kind of not a true Trek fan because that's not what Trek is really about, but I do love it so.

I've seen all of TOS/TNG/Voyager, but not a single episode of DS9 or the newer Enterprise prequel series. Can anyone tell me if there are any good round spaceship pew-pew in those series?

Just, how in the hell.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Hello Trek Goons I am just about to watch What You Leave behind and complete my watch of DS9 after following the Max Temkin guide to TNG and DS9 and now I have a problem.

Should I watch Voyager? If so, is there a guide to skipping the poo poo episodes like the ones I've been following? Please help me.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Coq au Nandos posted:

Should I watch Voyager?

NO!

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

jng2058 posted:

"Trials and Tribble-ations" :colbert:

That's not quite the same. "Trials and Tribble-ations" is a direct reference to a past episode, and even splices itself into the old episode. I was talking about more indirect references and rehashes of past episodes.

But, yes, "Trials and Tribble-ations" is fantastic.

Coq au Nandos posted:

Hello Trek Goons I am just about to watch What You Leave behind and complete my watch of DS9 after following the Max Temkin guide to TNG and DS9 and now I have a problem.

Should I watch Voyager? If so, is there a guide to skipping the poo poo episodes like the ones I've been following? Please help me.

http://www.nooooooooooooooo.com/

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

You have to watch Voyager. Only then can you truly appreciate Deep Space Nine.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
In the absence of a Temkin or Goon-certified list of Good and Cool Episodes I will watch these 15

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lists/star-trek-voyager-episodes-best-930900/item/caretaker-star-trek-100-925104

And also the one where the Doctor meets Andy Dick because that's the only episode of Voyager I've ever watched and it seemed cool at the time.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

You have to watch Voyager. Only then can you truly appreciate Deep Space Nine.

You have to slam your dick in a screen door. Only then can you appreciate not slamming your dick in a screen door.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

DS9 combat is nothing like the ship to ship combat in "Balance of Terror" or The Wrath of Khan. DS9 has a lot of great things but the actual combat is not among them.

speakhard
Nov 30, 2003

from mars to uranus.

King Hong Kong posted:

DS9 combat is nothing like the ship to ship combat in "Balance of Terror" or The Wrath of Khan. DS9 has a lot of great things but the actual combat is not among them.

I know it's not exactly the same but I always got that kind of vibe from "For the Uniform" with the cascade virus on the Defiant.

"Engine room, bridge: warp speed!"

Naz al-Ghul
Mar 23, 2014

Honorarily Japanese
I have finally found time to binge the first season of Star Trek TNG and I have to say, I hate Wesley less than I used to.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The Bloop posted:

You have to slam your dick in a screen door. Only then can you appreciate not slamming your dick in a screen door.

Look, fellow goon, we are already dead. We watch Voyager to win back our lives.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

King Hong Kong posted:

"Sacrifice of Angels", for all its other faults, still had an excellent space battle in it. It was so good that they reused a lot of the shots in the series finale! :doh:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

If you want more Balance of Terror combat, your best bet is old submarine movies.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Specifically "The Enemy Below," of which "Balance of Terror" is a complete ripoff.

Naz al-Ghul
Mar 23, 2014

Honorarily Japanese
So why did they make Deanna Troi pregnant with her radioactive demiclone child while the Enterprise was shipping a dangerous disease which only became​ contained when the child of Virgin birth kills himself and flies away

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Nazgul posted:

So why did they make Deanna Troi pregnant with her radioactive demiclone child while the Enterprise was shipping a dangerous disease which only became​ contained when the child of Virgin birth kills himself and flies away

Writers' strike

Naz al-Ghul
Mar 23, 2014

Honorarily Japanese

Tsaedje posted:

Writers' strike

That explains it but who read it and didn't at least think "This is some weird poo poo"

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Probably one of Gene's fetishes

Insert the "waves and waves of cum" quote here

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Have you ever sexed with a human before?

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Have you ever sexed with a human before?

I have once, but she had just been transported so I'm not sure if she was real or an obscene undead caricature of a human being.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

This is a real bad show.

Orv
May 4, 2011
You were warned.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
So, how do they square Klingon weddings with taking "The Oath."

It seems like the initial idea was for Klingons to be very austere in their rituals, but later they decided to go very intricate.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

SimonCat posted:

So, how do they square Klingon weddings with taking "The Oath."

It seems like the initial idea was for Klingons to be very austere in their rituals, but later they decided to go very intricate.

Eh, how do you square civil ceremonies with religious ones here? A single culture can have both simple and elaborate versions of a ceremony that serve the same function.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

macnbc posted:

Eh, how do you square civil ceremonies with religious ones here? A single culture can have both simple and elaborate versions of a ceremony that serve the same function.

I suppose. Maybe the Oath is the engagement? It seemed like Worf and K'ehlar(sp) were just going to be mated by the Oath and later Worf is all about the full Klingon wedding.

He must have gotten more sentimental as he aged.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Worf is also a weirdo uptight prude who believes you have to marry the first person you sleep with, whereas every other Klingon woman we see in every series is at least as sexually aggressive as the men and their huntin', fuckin', and fightin' warrior culture.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Well, that's Worf's whole deal, really. He's a weeaboo for what he thinks proper Klingon culture is and you can just see K'ehlar roll her eyes like in a "oh my god, you were saving yourself for marriage? I can't even" way when he says that they now must take the Oath.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Worf's spirit animal is Brendan Fraser in Blast From The Past.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

McSpanky posted:

Worf's spirit animal is Brendan Fraser in Blast From The Past.

Worf has expensive baseball cards in a shoebox and knows the capital of Alaska.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
CBS not committing to that Fall release date for Discovery

Welp.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

lol

Just watched Flashback. A series based on the Excelsior would have been a way better basis for a show than Voyager, particularly if they could have cast Takei in a recurring role.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm going to guess it airs a year after the original date.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

They're really just tooling up to capitalize on that 52nd anniversary of the series and all the good will from the movie Star Trek: Kirk and Thor's Excellent Adventures.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

So I guess The Good Fight is CBS All Access flagship show now? Just die already and stream online for free like the other big networks you dorks.

Oh and I guess I should say that Star Trek fans are dorks too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

God drat this thing just has every :redflag: going for it. Obviously I would like it to be good, but I have literally 0 hope at this point.