Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I cannot seriously believe you guys engaged josh lyman on anything,much less when he unironically used the word "SJW".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I engaged the other poster.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm largely talking to myself.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I like turtles.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Josh Lyman posted:

I like turtles.

Racist.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

IRQ posted:

Racist.
Nothing against tortoises personally, I'm sure they're fine, but they're just darker than I like.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

Well that would be a good place to not hear complaints about blackface.

Anyway, I'm finished with the X-files (sort of, season 10 isn't on any service I have), and I watched the 15 minute commercial for an upcoming series that was the Castlevania anime, and now I need something else to watch. Ideally a procedural or detective show, one without Benedict Cumberbatch in it.

You should try A Nero Wolfe Mystery. It was a very good detective show. :)

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Leave Josh Lyman alone you SJW bastards, all testudines matter

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My dad was complaining that he never sees reruns of The Equalizer which was one of his favourites when he was my age. I haven't seen it but descriptions make it sound like a kind of one-man A-Team. Was it any good? I only know Edward Woodward from Callan and the beeless version of Wicker Man.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

In actual TV chat, I watched e5-10 of Riverdale last night. It's still not good TV per se but I'm not sure I can call it a guilty pleasure like Under the Dome was. I wonder if it has the same appeals as Gossip Girl and The OC.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Wheat Loaf posted:

My dad was complaining that he never sees reruns of The Equalizer which was one of his favourites when he was my age. I haven't seen it but descriptions make it sound like a kind of one-man A-Team. Was it any good? I only know Edward Woodward from Callan and the beeless version of Wicker Man.

I only saw a little bit of it, but you’re about on the money. It’s a little darker than The A-Team.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Wheat Loaf posted:

As a teenager in the late 80's, I didn't like the show at all. That said I was a teenager at the time, which means you don't trust my taste. Also the A-Team was fun and tongue in cheek. The Equalizer was serious as hell (if I remember correctly).

I do give it credit for giving Billy Zabka a role where he didn't play a total prick bully.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

I didn't realize that Denzel movie was based on anything.

Also, people raving in this thread led me to go back and watch season 2 of Bosch and I found it to be a lot better than the first season. It's always funny to me how whenever you see one actor from The Wire in a show, you can bet that there are gonna be more. Glad to see them getting work though, especially Jamie Hector, he owns.

Has anyone read the books? Are they as ranging as the show, with focus on city and police politics?

zoux fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Oct 25, 2017

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

zoux posted:

I didn't realize that Denzel movie was based on anything.

Honestly, the Denzel movie might’ve been better than the show.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Cactus posted:

I wasn't enjoying it enough to keep watching so I stopped. To my perspective that makes it not worth watching. Of course I can't comment on the content of episodes I haven't seen, that wasn't what I meant to say; my post was mis-worded. But yes, I agree that more people should do this with shows they aren't enjoying, not just for the quality of our threads here but also out of respect for their own time and sanity.

Yeah, I didn't mean that to come off as confrontational as it did. Sorry for that.

I totally get not liking it and like I said, you gave it a chance so I'd never try and convince you you were wrong and should keep watching. I just thought your post made it sound like Legion S1 ends unresolved or resolves everything before the finale and I didn't agree with that idea.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Oct 25, 2017

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Josh Lyman posted:

In actual TV chat, I watched e5-10 of Riverdale last night. It's still not good TV per se but I'm not sure I can call it a guilty pleasure like Under the Dome was. I wonder if it has the same appeals as Gossip Girl and The OC.

My main reason for enjoying Riverdale is the Gossip Girl shaped hole it fills in my heart.

Speaking of GG/The OC, when does Runaways start? I need some Josh Schwartz TV in my life again.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

November 21.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I loved me some OC, so maybe I should put this show on my radar?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Josh Lyman posted:

Bingo... i bet they all smell real nice.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I thought Riverdale did some smart things to get away from the boring cliches that plague teen dramas, improving the relationship between Betty and Veronica chief among them.

Also, it's gorgeously shot, conspicuously so for a CW show.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Rocksicles posted:

Bingo... i bet they all smell real nice.
We at least know what Cheryl Blossom smells like.

maple syrup duh

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
the mist is so boring who thought this was a good idea

and the mist being some psychological bullshit instead of monsters from another dimension is boring bullshit too

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

E: Oh man this looks great
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMUiRYoc76A

Looks like a really good role for Merritt Weaver as well. It's just a six episode miniseries though :(

That looks amazing.

Who is the "sure come on in" women in the last shot. I could swear it's a chubby Brie Larson but IMDB doesn't list her and I can't find anyone else in that cast list that looks like the character.

Awesome cast though. That setting/story looks perfect for Kim Coates and I love what Jack O'Connell has been doing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Merritt Weaver

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Jeff Bridges wears a cowboy hat in every other role and he's going to do it the rest of his life

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
That's Jeff Daniels, though.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Merritt Weaver

Ahh, knew she looked familiar. Thanks

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Snak posted:

That's Jeff Daniels, though.

:lol:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Just finished s1 of Riverdale. In the season finale, the part where Archie punches through the ice was so gross, the blood.

Onto s2!

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Mu Zeta posted:

Jeff Bridges wears a cowboy hat in every other role and he's going to do it the rest of his life

Keith David was great in an Officer and a Gentleman.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Josh Lyman posted:

Just finished s1 of Riverdale. In the season finale, the part where Archie punches through the ice was so gross, the blood.

Onto s2!

He broke his hand/arm filming that scene!

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

The Good Wife is the best procedural and it's basically The Wire for rich white lawyers

Sooooo the opposite of the Wire then?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's like season 3 with the city hall folks

https://tv.avclub.com/the-good-wife-has-proven-itself-a-worthy-successor-to-t-1798225608

quote:

It might be surprising, then, that the true successor to The Wire has come not just from a broadcast network but from CBS, a network that often seems terrified of narrative complexity. The Good Wife, which airs its second-season finale tonight, has grown so far beyond its initial premise— a woman whose husband has wronged her in a publically humiliating fashion returning to the workforce—that it’s almost jarring to see that element of its premise return, as it has in the last few weeks. In the latter half of its first season and especially its second season, The Good Wife has grown beyond the simple legal drama crossed with a domestic drama it was during the pilot. It’s now a series that, like The Wire, tells the story of the life and death of an American city, examines the ways systems corrupt and destroy people, and tosses dozens of compelling characters from all walks of life into the storytelling mixture.

I mean it's definitely not as good. But for a procedural show on a big network it tries to do more.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Oct 26, 2017

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

esperterra posted:

He broke his hand/arm filming that scene!

Between these two posts I almost want to watch this dumb show.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

IRQ posted:

The pilot will give you a good sense of the show. S1 is on Netflix.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

IRQ posted:

Watch it.

I see Aj Kappa (Archie) being huge in a few years.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

Watch it.

He's pretty drat good. Also a plus is that he hides his accent real well. A lot of the Aussie and Kiwi actors on CW shows can't do that very well.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

X-O posted:

He's pretty drat good. Also a plus is that he hides his accent real well. A lot of the Aussie and Kiwi actors on CW shows can't do that very well.

Rose McIver and Eliza Taylor do a great job, imo. They sound exactly the loving same, though. They have super similar voices and I'm convinced they must have had the same dialect coach.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

If you thought AJ Kappa was a dumb name like I did, imagine my surprise when I looked up his IMDB profile just now and his name is KJ Apa.

KJ Apa....

esperterra posted:

Eliza Taylor do a great job, imo.

Holy poo poo, I'm glad she got a successful gig in the US. I used to have the biggest crush on her when she was on Neighbours back in the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Watch it.

I think he does a really great job in those powder keg style scenes where Archie is already tense but just feels like he's barely restraining himself from just blowing up completely.

• Locked thread