Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
rps deciding the entire concept of boss fights is a relic of the past because you only play bad FPS games and also you suck at games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

rps deciding the entire concept of boss fights is a relic of the past because you only play bad FPS games and also you suck at games
rps made a 'top 10 visual novels of all time' article and only 2 of them were japanese

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Endorph posted:

rps made a 'top 10 visual novels of all time' article and only 2 of them were japanese

wondering if reading this will be more or less painful than listening to Giant Bomb decide if Dream Daddy deserves to be ranked higher on their GOTY list than Yakuza Zero

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

actually sorry to keep harping on rockpapershotgun but i just remembered this quote

quote:

I wonder how a more female-oriented Atelier game would fare commercially. Just dress the girls in more reasonable outfits, replace the lolis with some pretty boys, add a dating system and dress-up/house customization features.

bro the series is female-oriented

bro why do you think a female-oriented game needs dress-up and house customization features.

bro some atelier games have those things

bro

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

we have to make this series popular with girls, my first suggestion: remove any female character under the age of 25

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also this isn't a jrpg, or racist, but i mainly remember them being one of the few major sites to review Hollow Knight in the first few months of release, and panned it because of boss fights

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Endorph posted:

we have to make this series popular with girls, my first suggestion: remove any female character under the age of 25

There's something sus there with his inference of "more reasonable outfits" but I am a bit too tired to make it right now

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

wondering if reading this will be more or less painful than listening to Giant Bomb decide if Dream Daddy deserves to be ranked higher on their GOTY list than Yakuza Zero

by the way i will give them this, Yakuza wasn't "big" yet and a ton of sites didn't rank it high, if at all, but that entire conversation on that infamous GB podcast is like pulling teeth

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

There's something sus there with his inference of "more reasonable outfits" but I am a bit too tired to make it right now

the most insane bit: this is from before atelier ryza

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

The one time I read the cspam video game thread they were in an extended discussion about how everyone who plays the Atelier games are pedophiles

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the western vs jp perception of atelier thing is so funny because those games are literally in 'games for girls' sections of a lot of jp game stores

you could argue ryza leaned into the fanservice elements a bit but ryza worries about rent so, whatever, she can wear short shorts if she wants to

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Disposable Scud posted:

Is there any reason to not play Trials Of Mana instead of the original release?

Also sorry I missed this: honestly play Trials, it's a better balanced game (the changes to spells alone in an action RPG kinda mean I give it the edge full stop*), it has more content, and it's a real gem of a port especially after the underwhelming Secret of Mana "upgrade".

* The original game functioned like Secret of Mana where most spells just hit a target, no dodge. Now even the nastiest boss attacks are a little more MMO-like in that they'll mark an area and you need to not be there, sometimes using this to turn some bosses that were RNG-heavy in the original into more active encounters where you're dodging around and trying to beat a timer to stun them and prevent an annoying phase where they fly off or get out of reach... which you just couldn't stop in the original.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
hi its me one of the people who still visits RPS once a week in 2023

i deleted my twitter, how else am i suppose to know if there is some interesting indie game coming out

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

This entire conversation is reminding me of that time some game journalist got really angry or something about Dragon Crown's artwork being the way it was. Really stupid thing to do on their part.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

Endorph posted:

actually sorry to keep harping on rockpapershotgun but i just remembered this quote

Was there a specific Atelier game they were talking about when they made this quote or was it just Atelier games as a whole

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mr. Trampoline posted:

Was there a specific Atelier game they were talking about when they made this quote or was it just Atelier games as a whole
lydie and suelle iirc?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
incidentally i was looking up goty lists from 2011 just because i wanted to see how many people actually had Dark Souls at all, and huge shout out to the two gamasutra voters who, for 2011 GOTY, voted for Groove Coaster, and Solatorobo: Red the Hunter

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
oh wait i am having a flashback to one of the previous times RPS came up here let me find it~ had some funny content~

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

More games need to allow you to wear cute fluffy outfits. No, I don't care about the setting. If I want to wear giant cute dresses in Skyrim I should be allowed to.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Snooze Cruise posted:

oh wait i am having a flashback to one of the previous times RPS came up here let me find it~ had some funny content~

there's at least a 25% chance that it's me bitching about John Walker

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

ImpAtom posted:

More games need to allow you to wear cute fluffy outfits. No, I don't care about the setting. If I want to wear giant cute dresses in Skyrim I should be allowed to.

more games should let me dress like a massive homo. this was one of the best aspects of Cyberpunk and its a shame you don't actually get to see your outfits outside photo mode.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

Endorph posted:

lydie and suelle iirc?

Somehow I have a feeling that the comment about 'reasonable outfits' was related to the single piece of fabric stuck to Lydie's torso

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
walker is now on kotaku which has somehow gotten even worse since his arrival

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

more games should let me dress like a massive homo. this was one of the best aspects of Cyberpunk and its a shame you don't actually get to see your outfits outside photo mode.

That was a blessing if you saw what my final* outfit was.

*I did crafting so it never changed after about hour 5

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

incidentally i was looking up goty lists from 2011 just because i wanted to see how many people actually had Dark Souls at all, and huge shout out to the two gamasutra voters who, for 2011 GOTY, voted for Groove Coaster, and Solatorobo: Red the Hunter

my top 10 list from 2011

1: atelier totori
2: tales of xillia
3: kof13
4: dissidia 012
5: trails in the sky
6: devil survivor 2
7: gloria union
8: disgaea 4
9: dark souls
10: pokemon black/white

note: this is a mix of us and jp release dates i think

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
john walker gave us that one far cry interview so i will always give a few points for that because its one of the funniest things i ever read related to gaming

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

lol

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
disgaea 4 is indeed better than dark souls

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

why do woke dudes trying to make points about sexism bad always feel the need to refer to women's bodies like pieces of meat

like if your complaint is that the game is doing that dont join in

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Snooze Cruise posted:

hi its me one of the people who still visits RPS once a week in 2023

i deleted my twitter, how else am i suppose to know if there is some interesting indie game coming out
I honestly just lurk in the Steam thread on here, The 7th Guest alone is better for indie game news and reviews than most game journalists.

Oh right, I remember that review - or more accurately the reaction some folks here had to it - what game was it about again?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
this is a total aside but it's always funny how much play Yakuza as a series ended up getting in "wholesome"/"woke"/whatever gamer circles when like, it's loving Yakuza

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
to be frank i always found the steam thread kinda off putting cause of certain posters. its easier to just skim headlines and click relevant articles.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

this is a total aside but it's always funny how much play Yakuza as a series ended up getting in "wholesome"/"woke"/whatever gamer circles when like, it's loving Yakuza
i remember people pushing kiryu as like, 'finally, a male protagonist who's Kind...' and like, i like kiryu but there's plenty of male protags like that if you play games that arent about surly dads

i mean technically kiryu is also a surly dad but you get what i mean

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Alard posted:

This entire conversation is reminding me of that time some game journalist got really angry or something about Dragon Crown's artwork being the way it was. Really stupid thing to do on their part.

That was Jason Schreier of Kotaku, who basically said if you were attracted to the Sorceress in Dragon's Crown, you were a pedophile. Something about her face being designed to appeal to lolicon fantasies, which like...what?

He then insulted the artist for Dragon's Crown and said he must be an immature teenage boy because of his character designs, which led to a response from the artist:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

the era of surly dads is over. let the era of kindly uncles reign supreme

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
and after that it will be reading the telegram in shock kissing cousins?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Vandar posted:

That was Jason Schreier of Kotaku, who basically said if you were attracted to the Sorceress in Dragon's Crown, you were a pedophile. Something about her face being designed to appeal to lolicon fantasies, which like...what?

He then insulted the artist for Dragon's Crown and said he must be an immature teenage boy because of his character designs, which led to a response from the artist:

i like that kamitani replied 'i didnt mean this to be an anti-gay thing i just wanted to draw sexy buff dwarfs'

and honestly i believe him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Endorph posted:

i remember people pushing kiryu as like, 'finally, a male protagonist who's Kind...' and like, i like kiryu but there's plenty of male protags like that if you play games that arent about surly dads

i mean technically kiryu is also a surly dad but you get what i mean

also like im trying to remember major female characters in Yakuza games who don't end up being murdered at some point and am coming up with "the lady in Yakuza 2 who got unceremoniously written out of the story after the main writer changed"

i mean it's Yakuza but still just a weird series to get big thwt way